2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:40 pm

retrobro90 wrote:I know there's talk in the twitter-sphere and elsewhere about "Presti has been playing 4D chess in anticipation of this loaded big men class to select the final big man infinity stone to his starting 5" but there's no way I personally would ever make a selection in this draft other than taking the BPA regardless of position.

The college season can't get here soon enough either because I'm ready for either someone unexpected to vault themselves up the ladder or for one of the guys currently at the top to ease my skepticism.

Ya, I am not even sure why there is so much confidence in the big man class this year. There are 3 at the very top, but after them its pretty sparse and I am not sold on Paolo.

There is also a ton of CG talent at the top and to me, OKC doesnt have a G talent outside SGA that is a clear-cut starting caliber guy. You dont pass Hardy, Sallis, etc.

I also think Jovic ends up top 5, or even 3, when its all said and done. He would be my pick if Chet and Hardy are gone. With Duren having the chance to overtake him on my board. (Duren just has a bit of an old-school big man vibe, which isnt always bad and seems to be working with Ayton but I wish he had a bit more passing skill, or shooting skill, something to help the floor space)
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#22 » by retrobro90 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I know there's talk in the twitter-sphere and elsewhere about "Presti has been playing 4D chess in anticipation of this loaded big men class to select the final big man infinity stone to his starting 5" but there's no way I personally would ever make a selection in this draft other than taking the BPA regardless of position.

The college season can't get here soon enough either because I'm ready for either someone unexpected to vault themselves up the ladder or for one of the guys currently at the top to ease my skepticism.

Ya, I am not even sure why there is so much confidence in the big man class this year. There are 3 at the very top, but after them its pretty sparse and I am not sold on Paolo.

There is also a ton of CG talent at the top and to me, OKC doesnt have a G talent outside SGA that is a clear-cut starting caliber guy. You dont pass Hardy, Sallis, etc.

I also think Jovic ends up top 5, or even 3, when its all said and done. He would be my pick if Chet and Hardy are gone. With Duren having the chance to overtake him on my board. (Duren just has a bit of an old-school big man vibe, which isnt always bad and seems to be working with Ayton but I wish he had a bit more passing skill, or shooting skill, something to help the floor space)

Yeah I dont think Paolo or Chet are gonna spend the majority of their minutes at the 5 and I worry about Duren's motor/lack of skill. Nzosa im coming around on because hes already looking a little bigger without losing his crazy end to end speed. Still dont love his feel/IQ or the little foundational skill on offense though.

Regardless of any of this though (because its still so early and any of these guys can move up or down) it just seems way too narrow to be limiting the scope and thinking about fit when the current team has proven nothing as a group that can win games.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#23 » by bbms » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:15 pm

My too early take is that Evan Mobley's early impact will have an impact on Chet Holmgren's evaluation during the pre-Draft process.

This strat of having a 7'0" mobile free safety leading the defense has the potential to be the definitive answer to NBA's current offensive makeup. On top of that, Holmgren has a promising pick and pop/ghost screener profile that will have offensive coaches dreaming about.

If everyone is healthy, Banchero will probably always be in the mix for the top 3, but the true optimal archetype for a PF/C in modern NBA is a 3/D type and defensive awareness/IQ for this position is a hotter commodity than ever.

IMHO, Chet Holmgren would be a fantastic fit next to SGA/Giddey. Also, this can be the reason why the NBA was so shill on Sengun.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#24 » by kdthunderup » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:07 pm

I worry worried about Chets lack of size though. I k ow skinny guys like Mobley can work really well in the modern NBA but Chet is next tier skinny. He has the same recorded height and weight as Poku. I’m hesitant taking him unless he can put on 15ibs before draft night but he doesn’t look like the type of guy who can fill out his frame as his shoulders are super narrow.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#25 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:40 pm

kdthunderup wrote:I worry worried about Chets lack of size though. I k ow skinny guys like Mobley can work really well in the modern NBA but Chet is next tier skinny. He has the same recorded height and weight as Poku. I’m hesitant taking him unless he can put on 15ibs before draft night but he doesn’t look like the type of guy who can fill out his frame as his shoulders are super narrow.

Chet can play PF so bulk wont be as important. Although I think he is a bit like KP in that a big lower body injury could slow him down enough to have to play C full time.

In terms of fit, Chet is easily the best projection next to Josh and SGA. He can run the court on the break for passes from them, space the floor when SGA is going ISO and projects well in the PNR with Josh as either a roll guy or a pop guy. The idea of Chet is basically the perfect compliment to them, but lets see how he plays on the bigger stage as things regularly change.

I am wary of Paolo as he seems so much like a Blake type, the guy that puts up big numbers but doesnt play winning ball in the end.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#26 » by retrobro90 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:47 am

Know we're trying to currently integrate another PG into the starting lineup but I can't help but love what Jean Montero and TyTy Washington have been doing in the early goings. Two guys I'm gonna really like no matter where they end up.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#27 » by Devilanche » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:33 am

So long as they are 6’4” or above I think they can still fit off ball etc . But I don’t believe we will draft a PG with our first pick of the draft .

Hopefully THE first pick of the draft.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#28 » by Old Man Game » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:45 pm

Got to see Jalen Duren about a week ago when they played Cincinnati. Very intriguing. Bam Adebayo vibes. Overall skill level and motor may not be sufficient though.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#29 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,109

Post#30 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:13 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter
?

Clippers always find a way to win games anyway. It's pretty amazing what they are doing this season.

Powell's injury could be a big factor for the play in tournament if PG13/Kawhi are out for the season though. Not optimistic about a Wolves/Clippers play in match up so I hope the Lakers are going to play better and get the 8th seed.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#31 » by retrobro90 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:18 am

If we don't land in the top 3 I'm looking real hard at Ben Mathurin even at #4. NBA Academy grad. Tough as nails. Seems like he fits basically every OKC intangible (canadian, high character, unselfish) in addition to being awesomely talented/versatile.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:44 pm

retrobro90 wrote:If we don't land in the top 3 I'm looking real hard at Ben Mathurin even at #4. NBA Academy grad. Tough as nails. Seems like he fits basically every OKC intangible (canadian, high character, unselfish) in addition to being awesomely talented/versatile.

I hope he grows a couple more inches.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#33 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:39 pm

retrobro90 wrote:If we don't land in the top 3 I'm looking real hard at Ben Mathurin even at #4. NBA Academy grad. Tough as nails. Seems like he fits basically every OKC intangible (canadian, high character, unselfish) in addition to being awesomely talented/versatile.

top 4 looks crazy to me but probably didn't watch enough of him. He's projected 6-10 in most mock drafts. I wonder how much it would cost to move up with the LAC pick to get him at 6 or 7 (if our own pick is top 4).
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#34 » by retrobro90 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

top 4 looks crazy to me but probably didn't watch enough of him. He's projected 6-10 in most mock drafts. I wonder how much it would cost to move up with the LAC pick to get him at 6 or 7 (if our own pick is top 4).

If we're looking at him next to someone like Ivey its clear Ivey possesses a level of athleticism that few in the NBA do. I think those enamored with him understand that his bankable translatable skill is his first step and leaping ability. And Ivey very well may become an All Star. I liked him a lot going back to the summer U19s. He's really just not that great without the ball though and with the ball the best thing to me is his FTR. The passing and shooting #s arent dazzling and the amount of times he kills his dribble per game has gotta be up there just based on eye test and how often teams pack the paint on him in college.

Mathurin has the type of game/physical (wing) profile that could really be maximized on this OKC roster and he's been on a scoring tear against good opponents doing it in a variety of ways with and without the ball. Makes big shots down the stretch. Good athlete in his own right just not acrobat level like Jaden. He's big with legitimate wing size and I don't have questions about his ability to defend or make jumpers.

I also don't think it's like one is 100% better or anything but this is just the case that I would make based on eye test watching both of them for a couple years now. Benny deserves consideration imo.

I honestly dont think he would fall based on wings always rising and bigs always falling but if they traded up they might have to include Dort which at that point seems like you might as well just take someone at #15
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#35 » by Devilanche » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:15 am

Dadouv47 wrote:

6-10 right now though . Still a lot of time to draft night. Usually at least one in that group will rise to top 4 while one more from there will drop off .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#36 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 12:10 am

New mock puts Duran at 4 to OKC. I don’t like it. Assuming OKC is outside the top 3, who do you all like at 4-6?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Mar 2, 2022 2:01 pm

I really haven't followed the draft as much this year since it ultimately ended up being a waste of time last year. Aside from Chet and Jabari, I read good things about Bennedict Mathurin.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#38 » by retrobro90 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 7:53 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:New mock puts Duran at 4 to OKC. I don’t like it. Assuming OKC is outside the top 3, who do you all like at 4-6?

Mathurin and Griffin. Mathurin is older (still 19 almost 20) but doesnt have the spotty injury history. Griffin is still 18 and has been shooting lights out but I worry about his long term availability. Both seem like good character kids from what I can tell.

I'm less enamored with Sharpe than most I guess. Just think the variability is too high to take him over those other wings. The tape isn't demonstrative of someone who is head and shoulders above everyone else from a talent or athleticism perspective. He's a good athlete and a good shot creator yes but for me to go on highschool film and highlight reels I haven't seen the exceptional tenth of a percentile level obviousness that would make me take him in the top 6.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#39 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 7:59 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:New mock puts Duran at 4 to OKC. I don’t like it. Assuming OKC is outside the top 3, who do you all like at 4-6?

Mathurin and Griffin. Mathurin is older (still 19 almost 20) but doesnt have the spotty injury history. Griffin is still 18 and has been shooting lights out but I worry about his long term availability. Both seem like good character kids from what I can tell.

I'm less enamored with Sharpe than most I guess. Just think the variability is too high to take him over those other wings. The tape isn't demonstrative of someone who is head and shoulders above everyone else from a talent or athleticism perspective. He's a good athlete and a good shot creator yes but for me to go on highschool film and highlight reels I haven't seen the exceptional tenth of a percentile level obviousness that would make me take him in the top 6.

Interesting thanks. Yeah Sharpe to me is the guy you take a swing on with a 2nd lotto pick, not the only one. But I'm hoping we just end up in the top 3.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#40 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:25 am

Is Banchero struggling a lot to be considered 5th or 6th now? I wasn't high on him but surprised he's falling that much.

I badly want Chet...think the fit with Giddey is incredible.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder