Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Re: Paolo Banchero 

Post#101 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:42 am

SNPA wrote:
akhan786 wrote:What do you guys think of Obi Toppin as a comp for Banchero?

Paolo is better than Toppin right now. And it’s not close.

and paolo is 5 years younger
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#102 » by akhan786 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Scrimmage so this means nothing but an early data point. Notable that AJ didn’t play - so obviously don’t expect these kinds of numbers from Paolo. No word yet what the distribution of his shots looked like and if his jumper was falling. Only that Jay Wright was very impressed.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#103 » by CptCrunch » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:06 pm

We got some "secret" scrimmage highlights, you can see Paolo play:

SNPA
Head Coach
And1: 7,142

Post#104 » by SNPA » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 am

CptCrunch wrote:We got some "secret" scrimmage highlights, you can see Paolo play:

See how big he looks out there? This dude ain’t Cade sized.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#105 » by TraBuch » Mon Nov 1, 2021 8:59 pm

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#106 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 1, 2021 9:43 pm

TraBuch wrote:

need to catch a full game but from the clips liked the fact that he didn't appear to force the issue given the talent disparity. made the right reads and took what was given. Wanna see higher comp and kid his size and see how he fares (that first shot is maybe a baseline pull-up on a larger defender) but Paolo is my guy right now though I still feel like Chet won't do anything to lose that top spot.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#107 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:40 am

having now seen him play, he looks like a slightly better (in every way) Tatum. But that idiot Bilas and other hyperbolic talking heads need to slow down with all the 6'10" talk. He's maybe 6'8.5". He has top 10 in the NBA potential for sure. Very impressed with him.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#108 » by akhan786 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:54 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:having now seen him play, he looks like a slightly better (in every way) Tatum. But that idiot Bilas and other hyperbolic talking heads need to slow down with all the 6'10" talk. He's maybe 6'8.5". He has top 10 in the NBA potential for sure. Very impressed with him.

If Tatum is a 9/10 in terms of jumpshot/shot creation, Banchero is still around a 6/10. Need a bigger sample size on whether his jumper will fall like it did last night and then I’ll bump him up. Tatum’s footwork comes around once a decade.

But you’re right in that he’s better than JT at everything else (defense, rebounding, making reads, dog)
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#109 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:24 am

I dont really get the Tatum comparisons. They seem to get their offense in very different ways, they also have very different body types as well.

Here are some major positives I have taken from Paolo so far (team scrimmage, exhibition, UK game). Very productive and impactful on the offensive end without having to dominate the ball. Ya there are times when he over dribbles, but that doesnt seem to happen too often. He seems pretty good at getting his within the flow of the offense.

Here to me is the double edge sword of the Paolo/Duke situation this year. I think Paolo's biggest question mark is what is he defensively at the next level. Is he a 4/3, is he a 4/5, or is he strictly just a 4. The thing is this Duke team has all the makings to be a top tier defensive team. The only reason the UK game was close, is because UK has the best offensive rebounder in the country and he dominated the glass.

But when you look at that Duke roster from a defensive point of view.

Mark Williams and Theo John. That might be one of the best defensive 1-2 punch at the 5 spot in college ball.

Then you got Moore/Keels/AJ out on the perimeter. I just rewatched the game and AJ is still finding his groove and timing on the offensive end, but the dude came in and played some defense in his 12 minutes. Then you got Moore who is a long 6'6 wing with some strength and athleticism. And you got Keels who is just a dog.

So Im really not sure how good of a read we're going to get from Paolo on the defensive end this year. I think he's going to look great on the defensive end because he is put into a fantastic position to look great. But I just think its going to be tough to get a real good look on his defensive ability with the team he is playing with.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#110 » by God Squad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:30 pm

If I had to choose where Paolo falls defensively it'd probably 4-5. He'd be able to use his speed and dribble as an advantage. He should be able to manage with is 7ft wingspan, his frame already seems built and could add more.

I think he'd be too slow for the 3.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#111 » by mattao313 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Im sticking to my Julius Randle comp.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#112 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:39 pm

God Squad wrote:If I had to choose where Paolo falls defensively it'd probably 4-5. He'd be able to use his speed and dribble as an advantage. He should be able to manage with is 7ft wingspan, his frame already seems built and could add more.

i think its tbd if he's a 4/5 defensively in the NBA, right now he's pretty much just a four unless he can prove he can defend the paint/rim at a + level, otherwise again, he's Julius Randle/Blake Griffin.

more sophisticated then either one offensively at the same stage but I think those are the correct comps at this point until he can prove he can play up or down a position. hopefully up to the 5.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#113 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:08 pm

clyde21 wrote:
God Squad wrote:If I had to choose where Paolo falls defensively it'd probably 4-5. He'd be able to use his speed and dribble as an advantage. He should be able to manage with is 7ft wingspan, his frame already seems built and could add more.

i think its tbd if he's a 4/5 defensively in the NBA, right now he's pretty much just a four unless he can prove he can defend the paint/rim at a + level, otherwise again, he's Julius Randle/Blake Griffin.

more sophisticated then either one offensively at the same stage but I think those are the correct comps at this point until he can prove he can play up or down a position. hopefully up to the 5.

Yup. And unless he starts to show some high end weak side protection ability. I don’t think we’ll get to see what he looks like as a defensive 5.

Like I said before I don’t think we are going to see K go small too often with this team. I think the vast majority of the time we’re going to see Paolo playing alongside Williams or John (not once in the UK game was there a time Williams or John wasn’t on the court).

Unless an injury occurs to one of those big guys. I think this is most likely just something that will be TBD going into the draft.
SNPA
Head Coach

Post#114 » by SNPA » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 am

clyde21 wrote:

I have Randle as his low end.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#115 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:12 am

SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

a guy who just averaged 24/10/6 on 46/41/81 is his low end? sheesh. i'd say more median outcome, he's hit high end if he's better defensively than Randle.
SNPA
Head Coach

Post#116 » by SNPA » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:08 am

clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

a guy who just averaged 24/10/6 on 46/41/81 is his low end? sheesh. i'd say more median outcome, he's hit high end if he's better defensively than Randle.

I didn’t say peak Randle instantly. But yeah, I think Paolo is eventually that level if he flattens out the growth curve to average’ish and gets accustomed to the NBA game. Randle is a fringe all-star, I have Paolo as that as the low/mid end, perennial all star as mid/high and top 75 all-time as peak high end. I’m really high on him. Who can stop him? It comes down to his defense IMO, that’s the swing skill. Obviously coaching and situation can derail things too. The kid is a monster.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#117 » by Marcus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:50 am

Read on Twitter
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#118 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:39 am

Banchero is going to be really good, but I also don't see the Tatum comparisons. I think the Detroit era Blake Griffin (pre-injury) is a decent comp (someone else made it, not me). He has some ball skills, but he's not Ben Simmons, he has some shot creation skills, but he's not Kevin Durant...but he's still really impressive in almost every respect for his size, and he is going to be the best or second best player on a really good NBA team at some point in a likely case scenario. A worst case scenario probably still has him as around that level, I just don't see much downside here. He does have some things that looks like he can tighten up, but I actually think some of the issues I saw (some lack of explosiveness in his dribble moves) could be a result of the cramping.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#119 » by MotownMadness » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:38 pm

Definitely reminds me of Pistons Griffin. Would of loved to had that version young and healthy.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#120 » by DCasey91 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:35 pm

One of my favorites. 3rd right now

1/2 Chet and Smith Jr. Three headed monster. This draft is shaping up to be a great one. Already better than last years imo.

Adrian Griffin Jr should keep them honest nabbing at their heels.

Return to NBA Draft