ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Re: Ben Simmons Thread #2 (“Don’t make me contact Howard” Edition) 

Post#901 » by shangrila » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:23 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Don't forget his horrible FT shooting percentage throughout his career. That's huge considering he's going to have the ball in his hands longer than anyone else on the team. How many times have we seen missed free throws come back to bite a team? Wolves are already a poor FT shooting team, Simmons is going to spread bad juju with his crappy misses.

With the new foul rules, I'm honestly not sure if this is a problem anymore. With anyone that sucks at the line, not just Simmons.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#902 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:40 pm

shangrila wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:Don't forget his horrible FT shooting percentage throughout his career. That's huge considering he's going to have the ball in his hands longer than anyone else on the team. How many times have we seen missed free throws come back to bite a team? Wolves are already a poor FT shooting team, Simmons is going to spread bad juju with his crappy misses.

With the new foul rules, I'm honestly not sure if this is a problem anymore. With anyone that sucks at the line, not just Simmons.

It's a problem for Simmons if he can't shoot FTs because it should be a big part of his game as someone who scores closer to the basket using his frame. He hasn't improved his FT shooting in his first four years so it seems like that monkey will be on his back and his team's back wherever he goes. There's so many red flags with this guy I don't think the max contract alone is worth it. I question why he has not expanded his game in his first four years. I question if he will ever overcome his mental hurdles and if that's even possible if he can't be a better shooter. I rather use whatever assets that will cost Simmons to get one or two great or good shooters to put around DLO/Ant/KAT. Wolves got enough top talent to get great looks now, they just need guys that can capitalize and finish the possession. Most reliable shooter around these 3 is Beasley. You got a real problem when Beasley and reliable are in the same sentence.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#903 » by Note30 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:08 am

Ben Simmons and Curry for Beasley and DLo plus 2 1sts , 1 pick swap, and 5 2nds
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#904 » by Domejandro » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:06 am

Note30 wrote:Ben Simmons and Curry for Beasley and DLo plus 2 1sts , 1 pick swap, and 5 2nds

Problem is that the Philadelphia 76ers aren't going to throw away Joel Embiid's prime with D'Angelo Russell, and Seth Curry is better than Malik Beasley.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#905 » by Neeva » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:29 am

It’s starting to become blatantly obvious that DLO mostly sucks.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 872

Post#906 » by Dalvin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am

Neeva wrote:It’s starting to become blatantly obvious that DLO mostly sucks.

They should've traded D'Lo instead of Rubio :D
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#907 » by shangrila » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am

Honestly though, we're set up fairly well financially long term.

If we need to move on from KAT and rebuild around Anthony, there's no one signed beyond Ant's eventual extension aside from Bolmaro's rookie deal. And Russell himself only has 2 years left (i.e. this year and next). So even if this year sucks again and we need to move Towns in the offseason, we'd only really have to eat one more year of DLo before his cap hit is gone.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#908 » by Krapinsky » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:01 pm

A Russell-McDaniels centric trade for Simmons would solve so many problems with this team/roster.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#909 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Krapinsky wrote:A Russell-McDaniels centric trade for Simmons would solve so many problems with this team/roster.

This. But Philly is too smart to do this no matter how many picks/swaps we add.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Post#910 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:34 pm

1 bad loss and we got people coming around on Simmons. This is why Morey waited until the season started, things change FAST.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#911 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:39 pm

Calinks wrote:1 bad loss and we got people coming around on Simmons. This is why Morey waited until the season started, things change FAST.

I don’t think this is people coming around. This is people, myself included, that have been on the do whatever you have to do to dump DLo for Simmons since the start.

DLo is not as bad as these three games, but he’s also not good. He’s one dimensional and when that’s not there, he’s horrible. Simmons does everything but shoot. That “everything” covers up so many of our issues.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#912 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 pm

Krapinsky wrote:A Russell-McDaniels centric trade for Simmons would solve so many problems with this team/roster.

I think it would cause problems, not solve them.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Post#913 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 2, 2021 2:34 am

Anticipating the Ben Simmons interest to start rising.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#914 » by Neeva » Tue Nov 2, 2021 2:36 am

Calinks wrote:Anticipating the Ben Simmons interest to start rising.

Nah we need a full rebuild, send bffs dlo/kats asses packing. Unload Beasley, Bev and Prince also.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#915 » by jpatrick » Tue Nov 2, 2021 2:40 am

Maybe amongst the fans but what are we going to offer that we haven’t. I’m sure we offered DLo and all the picks we can (or close). What else can we give? Philly wants someone good now, which DLo is not.
RedSalsa
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#916 » by RedSalsa » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:17 am

Spoiler:

Lol

My god :lol:

Leave the Minnesota forum.

Note: You guys are not allowed to respond to this poster, I will literally delete your post if you do. -Dome
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,528

Post#917 » by Note30 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:18 am

Neeva wrote:

Nah we need a full rebuild, send bffs dlo/kats asses packing. Unload Beasley, Bev and Prince also.

Saying bye to Towns would be tough, we'd essentially be giving away our best player, not sure how much more of this losing seasons stuff fans can take.

We'd have to get some really good pieces.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#918 » by younggunsmn » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:20 am

shrink wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
shrink wrote:While their situations are similar, I don’t think Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons have anything similar between the ears.

Jimmy came into the NBA as the 30th pick, and road the bench for two years in Chicago before he even got major minutes. Simmons was drafted 1st, and has had every opportunity given to him.

Jimmy worked his tail off to improve his game. Simmons has the same flaws he did when he came in - they are probably worse than ever,

Jimmy wanted the ball in his hands for the last shot, no matter how many times he failed at it. Simmons passes up dunks, and has never been good in pressure situations,

Simmons and Butler are very much the same type of player, defense is their bread and butter, efficient from the field due to ability to score inside despite not being great shooters. You seem to be going out of your way to drone on about Simmons flaws without mentioning his strengths, which are unique and many. The metrics paint a very different picture than what you would have us believe.
You seem to be building a strawman around one failed playoff series to measure his entire career..

I find this argument completely untrue, a desperate hand-wave to try to dismiss problems that Simmons has had for a long time, and have reached a head lately. There is nothing in my post that focuses on “one failed playoff series,” and I find it insulting that you are making this claim.

In fact, my position has always been

shrink wrote:He’s on a max deal, and carries these major, major issues.

1. Shooting is horrible. Defenses can pack the middle to remove KAT’s biggest advantage and crowd Edwards drives.
2. He’s a young player who flat out hasn’t improved. Can he?
3. Confidence. Unwillingness to shoot. Wilts in pressure situations. Now says his head isn’t ready to play.
4. What if you trade assets for him and he gets unhappy? Others ignore PHI behavior - he’s shown he won’t live up to his contract.

People were complaining about his shooting, his lack of development, etc, long before “one failed playoff series.”

2. Moreover, what “metrics” are you talking about that measure what is “going on between his ears.” If you need metrics for observable behaviors, I can easily produce them for the first three problems I listed, and the Sixers are living #4. Can you tell me what “metrics tell a different story,” from anything I’ve posted?

3. Finally, the fact that Jimmy and Ben both are good defensively does not mean they have similar mentalities. Nor does the fact that DLo, like Ben, hasn’t improved means that Jimmy didn’t improve and that’s a pretty glaring difference between Ben and Jimmy.

Cmon Shrink, you are a better poster than this, it's disappointing to see you double down and re hash the same arguments over and over with anyone who will engage with you.

1. Simmons is an elite player RIGHT NOW. Actual STATISTICAL METRICS over a 4 year sample size, not subjective fan assessments of SImmons mental state, say he is an absolute difference maker defensively, and a plus player on the offensive end, despite not shooting 3-pointers and having Embiid suck up all the painted area he needs to score in.

2. His teams have consistently won at an elite level, and he has undeniably been a big part of that.
If he improved the way you think he should and became a passable 3 point and ft shooter he would be a perennial MVP candidate.

3. Your obsession with SImmons mental state is clouding your judgement. We all know the current situation is an arrangement that gives SImmons cover to keep collecting his checks and Morey time to find more suitors (when players who signed in the offseason become eligible in december.

Before the rift caused by and during that Atlanta playoff series, this guy was untouchable for anything less than a superstar.
And judging by Morey's recent actions, probably still is.
The GM and owner of his team still value him so much they are willing to take the distractions and bad publicity on the slim chance they can bring him back into the fold.

4. You completely ignore my point that this situation is about clashing personalities more than anything else.
Simmons is more of an introvert and his coach and superstar teammate are the polar opposite.
If you made the argument that adding a 3rd beta to KAT and Russell is not a good idea because a champion needs at least one alpha, I'd consider the point. But you are making pre-emptive arguments about him getting unhappy and leaving and wasted assets, not about his fit with our star players.

However, after that absolute trainwreck tonight, its pretty clear all of our assets outside of KAT and ANT and future draft picks are either extremely weak or outright garbage, and my feeling on the possibility of us acquiring him has gone from maybe a 15% chance down to about 3%.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#919 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:36 am

Does anyone think the solution to the opposing team crowding the paint and daring us to shoot 3s is to add Ben Simmons? That’s like saying the solution is to have JO and Vando park in the corner and exclusively shoot 3s. Our weak performance is more about trouble shooting from outside (we shoot the most 3s in the league and were 17th on makes heading into tonight) the solution is not to add another guy who cannot shoot.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#920 » by shangrila » Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:26 am

I think adding Simmons changes the equation entirely.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves