ImageImage

Worse Than Hayward: The Cody Martin Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Re: Thing #1: The Cody Martin Thread 

Post#101 » by Snidely FC » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:55 pm

does anyone remember the film, Slap Shot? For me Thing 1 & Thing 2 hark back to feisty spiritual forebears the Hansen brothers who revived the fortunes of Paul Newman's Charlestown Chiefs
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#102 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 6, 2020 7:18 pm

"fully martinize" - eric collins
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#103 » by wilson115 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:52 am

What's Mark Price doing these days?

Martin’s defensive rating of 108.1 on the season was the second-lowest mark on the team among rotation players, trailing on Devonte’ Graham. While there is plenty of noise in individual defensive ratings, that figure means the Hornets had a defensive equivalent to the fourth-best in the league with Martin on the floor.

The obvious area Martin must improve is his shooting. Per Synergy, of all players with at least 85 spot-up attempts, the exact number Martin finished with, he was second-to-last in points per possession.

In fact, three Hornets ranked in the bottom 17 of that list with Caleb Martin and Jalen McDaniels just ahead of Cody. The Hornets need wings that can be 3&D threats and while Martin definitely has the defense down, he’ll need to become a far more reliable shooter moving forward to maintain his spot in the rotation long-term.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2021/06/02/charlotte-hornets-season-player-review-cody-martin
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#104 » by BigSlam » Sat Jun 5, 2021 9:47 pm

wilson115 wrote:What's Mark Price doing these days?

Martin’s defensive rating of 108.1 on the season was the second-lowest mark on the team among rotation players, trailing on Devonte’ Graham. While there is plenty of noise in individual defensive ratings, that figure means the Hornets had a defensive equivalent to the fourth-best in the league with Martin on the floor.

The obvious area Martin must improve is his shooting. Per Synergy, of all players with at least 85 spot-up attempts, the exact number Martin finished with, he was second-to-last in points per possession.

In fact, three Hornets ranked in the bottom 17 of that list with Caleb Martin and Jalen McDaniels just ahead of Cody. The Hornets need wings that can be 3&D threats and while Martin definitely has the defense down, he’ll need to become a far more reliable shooter moving forward to maintain his spot in the rotation long-term.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2021/06/02/charlotte-hornets-season-player-review-cody-martin

Genuinely surprised thta McD was rated that low.

Feel-o-meter tells me that he was a much better shooter than 2nd or 3rd worse on our team.
B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#105 » by wilson115 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:05 pm

BigSlam wrote:Genuinely surprised thta McD was rated that low.

Feel-o-meter tells me that he was a much better shooter than 2nd or 3rd worse on our team.

There was a stretch he was playing like an absolute stud. Then again there was his play when he was in and out of the rotation and went to the G-league.

His activity and improvement defensively helped him see time on the court. Over the final 25 games, he shot 35.1% from the 3-point line, an improvement over his averages early in the year. Still, he ranked in just the 20th percentile in spot-up chances despite that accounting for nearly half of his offensive possessions.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2021/06/03/hornets-season-player-review-jalen-mcdaniels/
SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Post#106 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:46 pm

wilson115 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Genuinely surprised thta McD was rated that low.

There was a stretch he was playing like an absolute stud. Then again there was his play when he was in and out of the rotation and went to the G-league.

When he was starting or consistently one of the first guys off the bench, he was a completely different player.

Whenever he was brought in for spot duty, he seemed desperate to impress to try to get more playing time and was inefficient and ball-hoggy.

But when the kid knew he was going to get in the game no matter what, he didn't force anything and looked great.
SpearNMgicHelmt
Senior
And1: 160

Post#107 » by SpearNMgicHelmt » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:51 pm

I sure hope right now both Martins are in a gym with *somebody* shooting threes all day long. I love their effort/toughness and want them to succeed.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#108 » by HornetJail » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:20 pm

SpearNMgicHelmt wrote:

I sure hope right now both Martins are in a gym with *somebody* shooting threes all day long. I love their effort/toughness and want them to succeed.

I would rather those resources be spent on NBA players. Effort only goes so far, they both just **** suck at basketball
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#109 » by CuseMayne » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:01 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
SpearNMgicHelmt wrote:

I would rather those resources be spent on NBA players. Effort only goes so far, they both just **** suck at basketball

Sadly true. Those 2 roster spots (or at the very very least Caleb needs to go) should be used for a young player with actual upside or a 3 and D veteran. We need to make a few smart business decisions that may be tough personal ones, namely saying goodbye to Biz and Caleb for starters.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#110 » by HornetJail » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:58 pm

CuseMayne wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
SpearNMgicHelmt wrote:

Sadly true. Those 2 roster spots (or at the very very least Caleb needs to go) should be used for a young player with actual upside or a 3 and D veteran. We need to make a few smart business decisions that may be tough personal ones, namely saying goodbye to Biz and Caleb for starters.

Exactly, we completely wasted almost half our roster spots this year. Biyombo, Martin, Martin, Richards, and then the empty roster spot we carried for half the season to add Brad Wanamaker. We never utilized the two-way contracts either, and Carey played exactly one game in the rotation. Given the success Mitch has had with early 2nd rounders for us, I don't doubt he can find draft steals to bolster our depth, but he's got to do a better job filling roster spots in free agency. This roster past player #9 was an absolute embarrassment.

But JB also doesn't have an excuse for continuing to play Biyombo and the Martins through thick and thin when four roster spots (and 3 2020 2nd round picks) were used on 4 centers and guards that never saw the floor. Not even saying Carey, Richards, Riller, or Darling would be better, but you have to give them a fair shot when the incumbents are playing that bad.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#111 » by GoBobs » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
CuseMayne wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Exactly, we completely wasted almost half our roster spots this year. Biyombo, Martin, Martin, Richards, and then the empty roster spot we carried for half the season to add Brad Wanamaker. We never utilized the two-way contracts either, and Carey played exactly one game in the rotation. Given the success Mitch has had with early 2nd rounders for us, I don't doubt he can find draft steals to bolster our depth, but he's got to do a better job filling roster spots in free agency. This roster past player #9 was an absolute embarrassment.

But JB also doesn't have an excuse for continuing to play Biyombo and the Martins through thick and thin when four roster spots (and 3 2020 2nd round picks) were used on 4 centers and guards that never saw the floor. Not even saying Carey, Richards, Riller, or Darling would be better, but you have to give them a fair shot when the incumbents are playing that bad.

Martians played well just didn’t shoot well. Their best basketball is yet to come. They got screwed when it came to foul calls also. Love me some Martian dunk attempts, half the time they got hacked with no call.

Kind of saying they cause I can’t tell them apart.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#112 » by BigSlam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:56 am

Such a great example of the current Hornets and our commitment to playing pesky D.

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#113 » by Diop » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:08 am

Can we stop crapping on him now? He’s just a baller, he always seems to know where to be on the court.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by wilson115 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:44 pm

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#115 » by fatlever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Glad people are finally coming around on Cody. Dude is great addition to bench. We don't have anyone else like him on the roster.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#116 » by fatlever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=jkCUTf-hTxmD-GNgHeZ_hQ&s=19

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#117 » by fatlever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=-PbbcSahUKuewjMkGwjiqA&s=19

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#118 » by LofJ » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:04 pm

Everyone is understandably talking about Miles being a RFA at the end of the season, but Cody Martin is on the last year of his contract as well. Should we extend him?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,928

Post#119 » by JDR720 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:05 pm

I don't see why not. He is versatile and cheap.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#120 » by fatlever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Charlotte Hornets