ImageImageImage

Vanderbilt Solves Our Biggest Problem

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Vanderbilt Solves Our Biggest Problem 

Post#1 » by TaylorTag » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:36 pm

I am jealous that Dane mentioned this on his latest pod with Britt before I brought it up on here, but for real I think our rebounding problem would be fixed if we get Vanderbilt 25 minutes a night. He is averaging 12 through three games at this point. It needs to be doubled.

You can play him with everyone outside Okogie, so it's not like there is a lot of barriers preventing Vando from getting more time. If we have to take a few minutes away from McDaniels in order to get Vando on the floor more, so be it. But our offense can't get any worse at this point, so having Vando on the floor isn't going to do too much damage.

Going into the season, I thought D'Lo, Ant, McDaniels, Vando and Towns would be our starting 5... If you look at my rotation thread, I originally had Vando 25+ minutes a night, so his rotation minutes have definitely been the most surprising this young season.

We need size next to Towns and Reid. Vando should literally be on the floor every minute Reid is and in the starting lineup next to KAT to begin Q1 and Q3.

Not sure this banged up Milwaukee team is the right game to unleash Vando, but it has to happen soon if we want to shore up our rebounding problem.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Re: Vanderbilt Solves Our Biggest Problem 

Post#2 » by jpatrick » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm

Rebounding is a HUGE problem, but is it even our biggest problem? We REALLY struggled to score the last two games and Vando is an awful offensive player. It’s not even that he can’t shoot. He has no idea what to do with the ball when he has it. And he can’t even be a consistent finisher because he has bad bad hands.

I’d argue our biggest problem is too many one way players. And maybe Ant is right, Towns/DLo are not moving the ball. The Pels were just packing the paint without any fear of kicking it out for open threes.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 363

Post#3 » by gandlogo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Lord. If Vando is the solution that solves a problem, the problem must be identifying the lead tank commander.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#4 » by Krapinsky » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 pm

This is what i've been saying for months.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#5 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:50 pm

He helps in some areas, really hurts in a lot more areas. I'd be open to trying lineup combos where he's on the floor with Dlo, Beasley, Ant, and Kat.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Issue is that the dude cannot catch the ball on offense, he leads to a lot of turnovers and spacing issues.

I think he should play with Towns more to help rebounding, but this really is not a good solution. Unfortunately it might be a necessary one, though.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,625

Post#7 » by thinktank » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:10 pm

It could work.

Therefore it’s worth a shot.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?
BlacJacMac
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,053

Post#8 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:21 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:I am jealous that Dane mentioned this on his latest pod with Britt before I brought it up on here, but for real I think our rebounding problem would be fixed if we get Vanderbilt 25 minutes a night. He is averaging 12 through three games at this point. It needs to be doubled.

You can play him with everyone outside Okogie, so it's not like there is a lot of barriers preventing Vando from getting more time. If we have to take a few minutes away from McDaniels in order to get Vando on the floor more, so be it. But our offense can't get any worse at this point, so having Vando on the floor isn't going to do too much damage.

Going into the season, I thought D'Lo, Ant, McDaniels, Vando and Towns would be our starting 5... If you look at my rotation thread, I originally had Vando 25+ minutes a night, so his rotation minutes have definitely been the most surprising this young season.

We need size next to Towns and Reid. Vando should literally be on the floor every minute Reid is and in the starting lineup next to KAT to begin Q1 and Q3.

Not sure this banged up Milwaukee team is the right game to unleash Vando, but it has to happen soon if we want to shore up our rebounding problem.

Dude is like 6'9 and 215.

He'd definitely help with rebounding (provided he doesn't play as badly as he did on Monday), but he doesn't really add size.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#9 » by fattymcgee » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:30 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:I am jealous that Dane mentioned this on his latest pod with Britt before I brought it up on here, but for real I think our rebounding problem would be fixed if we get Vanderbilt 25 minutes a night. He is averaging 12 through three games at this point. It needs to be doubled.

Saying he's averaging almost 12 rb per 36 is VERY deceiving at this point.
The first game his rebounds per 36 was 7.2 which is below average for a PF.
The second game he was an immaculate 23.
The third game he had 0 rebounds. ZERO!

Yes he is a better rebounder than the rest of the bigs off the bench but he's no savior. That being said, I would also like to see him get more than the current 12mpg he's getting now.
TaylorTag
Rookie

Post#10 » by TaylorTag » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 pm

fattymcgee wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:I am jealous that Dane mentioned this on his latest pod with Britt before I brought it up on here, but for real I think our rebounding problem would be fixed if we get Vanderbilt 25 minutes a night. He is averaging 12 minutes through three games at this point. It needs to be doubled.

Saying he's averaging almost 12 rb per 36 is VERY deceiving at this point.
The first game his rebounds per 36 was 7.2 which is below average for a PF.
The second game he was an immaculate 23.
The third game he had 0 rebounds. ZERO!

Yes he is a better rebounder than the rest of the bigs off the bench but he's no savior. That being said, I would also like to see him get more than the current 12mpg he's getting now.

sorry, was saying he is averaging 12 minutes a game. not 12 rbs
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#11 » by TheProdigy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Who is going to be defending Giannis tonight? Seems like Vando has the best chance of slowing him down at all.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#12 » by Krapinsky » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 pm

TheProdigy wrote:Who is going to be defending Giannis tonight? Seems like Vando has the best chance of slowing him down at all.

Probably Okogie and Prince would be my guess.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#13 » by karch34 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 pm

He helps rebounding and you'd think if he was with DLo, Ant, McD, and KAT the spacing wouldn't be a detriment. But yeah he's not ideal for the "dunker" spot since his hands are bad. If the other guys are on he's a low usage guy that fits with the Big 3 nicely from that perspective, though I do see him better fit on 2nd unit if we had a better option in the starting 5.

I'm also starting to think even picking up a 3rd C as long as it's a big body wouldn't be the worst option since it'd be someone to throw at the Valecunis of the world when we get the quick fouls on KAT and Naz.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#14 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:17 pm

I never trust individual solutions to collective problems.

I love Vandarra nonetheless.

If any, he will play tough... better or worse but always tough and he will never give up on a defensive possession (contrary to other teammates I don't wanna name).

Joining Vandarra, Okogie and Motivao Bevs into the same lineup would spread havoc.
Both for MIN and for the opponents.

I'd give that a try.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#15 » by karch34 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:40 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:
Joining Vandarra, Okogie and Motivao Bevs into the same lineup would spread havoc.
Both for MIN and for the opponents.

I'd give that a try.

I do think throwing that out there in a stretch with Beas and Naz (offense with PatBev) would be an interesting look for stretches.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#16 » by TheProdigy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am

Krapinsky wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:Who is going to be defending Giannis tonight? Seems like Vando has the best chance of slowing him down at all.

Probably Okogie and Prince would be my guess.

Vando is moving into the starting lineup tonight. Okogie and Prince are too small to defend Giannis.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#17 » by jpatrick » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:20 am

Really good first half for Vando.
TaylorTag
Rookie

Post#18 » by TaylorTag » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:59 am

I wonder which of you is Finch…
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#19 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 am

Having him helped Jmacs rebounding as well, Okogie out of rotation finally.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,625

Post#20 » by thinktank » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:43 am

MPLSwolves wrote:I wonder which of you is Finch…

Great move by Finch to listen to my above post. :wink:
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves