Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Jason Kidd Head Coach - Discussion 

Post#1 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:37 am

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Re: Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next? 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,603

Re: Jason Kidd Head Coach - Discussion 

Post#3 » by Dirk » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Looks like Kidd will be the source of very memorable moments/questions/answers.

He is also an easy target for the media and a lot of people who from the very first moment have a very negative opinion and made him a punching bag.

I just hope he is playing some mind games and playing with everyone with some of the things he says/will say.
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#4 » by Darren » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:32 pm

As expected, Luka is paid to be player coach for next 5 years. And Kidd is hire to be merely player development coach. But to be frank, RC is overrated. As talent as Pacer roster is, Indiana remains winless under Rick Carlisie. At least, Doncic does a better coaching job as a rookie coach.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:54 pm

Good decision... First 2games we seen Carlisle rotation. We need fresh air.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,160

Post#6 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:52 pm

If the Mavs wins it will be despite Jason Kidd's bad coaching.
If the Mavs lose it will be because of Jason Kidd's bad coaching.

That is how the fans see it. It is the opposite for the Pacers I believe.

I believe in Kidd.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#7 » by Imon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:31 pm

I hate to be the downer here but has there been any evidence in Kidd's short coaching career that he'll make a good head coach?
His time with the Nets ended poorly and his stint with the Bucks was mediocre and when Budenholzer took over the Bucks saw some real success.
I remain skeptical of Kidd - we'll see as the season progresses.

Playing all 15 guys is a weird move - I don't like it. It might make guys feel good temporarily but Kidd obviously can't keep this up for the entire season. No player on any team seriously expects that they deserve playing time without having to earn it. Again, the season is young and we still don't know the identity of the team but a meeting with the "leadership council" of the team 3 games in? C'mon.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#8 » by LAL1947 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:11 pm

I don't really have a problem with anything Kidd has done so far. I understand what he's trying to do, even if it doesn't end up being successful... i.e., build confidence in the rest to be contributors. Losing games in the regular season doesn't mean diddly... it's what happens in the playoffs that counts. Even if he's not able to deliver in the playoffs, there are always some coaches whose style helps lay the ground work for someone with a better Xs&Os approach to come in later and then build on the dirty work that was done by his predecessor.

My biggest issue, by far, is with the roster construction. This isn't close to being a championship roster. It's what I've come to know over time as a typical "Mavs roster"... don't know how else to put it, lol. In the 2000s, I'd have been cheering the Mavs for building something like this... but I've attached myself to your wagon for as long as Lebron is a Laker though, so... Cuban & Co need to shape up! :P
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by LAL1947 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:58 pm

Dirk wrote:He is also an easy target for the media and a lot of people who from the very first moment have a very negative opinion and made him a punching bag.

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:If the Mavs wins it will be despite Jason Kidd's bad coaching.
If the Mavs lose it will be because of Jason Kidd's bad coaching.

+1 Agreed with that. I think Kidd should be judged on what he actually does with the Mavs. I'm seeing some good things. Some not so good things, but the not so good things are too early to judge (related to usage and explainable at the moment by him trying to get his own feel for his roster as coach, as well as build everyone up to be ready/contribute when needed).
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#10 » by fuller4379 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:19 pm

Three games into his coaching stint in Dallas. Not enough of a sample size to form an opinion.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#11 » by Mr B » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:10 am

fuller4379 wrote:Three games into his coaching stint in Dallas. Not enough of a sample size to form an opinion.

Let’s see where they’re at by the All Star break.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#12 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:50 am

Too early to tell. But he is trying to be a player's type of coach by being buddies with his players. As advertised.

Carlisle is the total opposite with his my way of the highway system.
Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#13 » by Bnice5 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:05 am

My only concern is the amount of Dwight Powell run time… I just don’t get it. Our best line up would be

Luka
THJ
Bullock
Kleber
KP

Play 5 out and with a lot of movement bullock and Kleber anchor the starting D

Bring in

Brunson
Ntlikina/Brown
DFS
WCS
With 1 of the starters cycling with them

Powell doesn’t deserve any time
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:19 am

Bnice5 wrote:My only concern is the amount of Dwight Powell run time… I just don’t get it. Our best line up would be

Luka
THJ
Bullock
Kleber
KP

Play 5 out and with a lot of movement bullock and Kleber anchor the starting D

Bring in

Brunson
Ntlikina/Brown
DFS
WCS
With 1 of the starters cycling with them

Powell doesn’t deserve any time

Frank good new, if he shoots with good % then can stay on the floor and be very usefull.
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,318

Post#15 » by gottamakeit » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:32 am

Dwight Powell with another terrible game. i wonder how ling before he's sent to the bench, and how soon before he either gets traded or he's out of the rotation.
Kleber should be our small ball center. Our bigs in Powell, WCS, and Boban don't give enough to be in the rotation.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#16 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:03 am

arkuo wrote:Too early to tell. But he is trying to be a player's type of coach by being buddies with his players. As advertised.

Carlisle is the total opposite with his my way of the highway system.

RC gave the offense to Luka. It wasn't only "my way".

He did have more authority and control, which was probably for the better. The team isn't looking ready to start the season. Were they just having fun during training camp?
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by LAL1947 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:40 pm

leolozon wrote:The team isn't looking ready to start the season. Were they just having fun during training camp?

It looks that way, haha.

Also, one of your assistant coaches was playing in the WNBA rather than work with the team, lol.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#18 » by agentofatlas » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:46 am

After processing last game I think while the offense is really bad it doesn't help that everyone of the offensive options are sucking hard shooting right now. I think it will improve especially once Luka gets back on track.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#19 » by Teffer10 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:08 pm

I still think the biggest problems of this team are THJ and KP having major roles.
THJ's shooting is too inconsistent and it appears KP's availability will be inconsistent again.
They are who they are, and the risk vs. reward of re-signing them will remain to be seen, but it doesn't appear to look positive.
Other limited role players have to take on bigger roles because of those inconsistencies and that is what kills us imo.

And it's absolutely baffling how we have 5 centers on this team and Powell is the best we can put in the SL.
At best Powell is insurance/situation caliber...similar as Boban.

Kidd has his work cut out for him but I'm not sure he is the right person to make the necessary adjustments.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#20 » by Bob8 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:39 pm

agentofatlas wrote:After processing last game I think while the offense is really bad it doesn't help that everyone of the offensive options are sucking hard shooting right now. I think it will improve especially once Luka gets back on track.

Mavs had bad shooting nights before, but I don't remember them playing visually that bad, ever. Even in games they have won, they had disastrous Qs.

Luka is shooting bad, but it's not only because he's missing shots, his shots are mostly very difficult, because spacing is mostly disastrous.

All that shows there is a problem in the system not only statistically bad strech of games.

Return to Dallas Mavericks