Image ImageImage Image

Options to fix the PF hole

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

ikeziskash
Lead Assistant
And1: 158

Options to fix the PF hole 

Post#1 » by ikeziskash » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:02 pm

How can we convince SA to let Thad go ahead we pick him up or get another pf? What are some other pf options?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Re: Let’s bring back Thad, other PF options 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:05 pm

ikeziskash wrote:How can we convince SA to let Thad go ahead we pick him up or get another pf? What are some other pf options?

You can't reacquire a player you traded in the same season you traded him, so Thad is off the table.

Someone else mentioned the idea of Christian Wood for Coby + Pat if you wanted to go all-in. At the deadline such a deal might be worth looking into depending how good we look.

DJJ and/or TBJ for something seems like a deal that might work for a team that has extra big men and wants wing depth.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,509

Post#3 » by panthermark » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:47 pm

Bagley could be an option, but WOW is his defense bad, and he is always hurt.
He needs a change of scenery....and a new mindset.....and maybe trying lifting or working on his game in the off-season.

We will have to see what vets get bought out at the deadline.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#4 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Bagley is horrible. Go grab any random GLeague PF if we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel like that.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#5 » by sco » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:56 pm

I think we need to give Pat all season to show progress, we'd be selling low if we traded him now. If Pat isn't panning out, I wouldn't go reaching for a trade before giving trying DJJ, Alize and even Green alongside the starters before making a trade.

I also think that bringing in a high utilization guy like Grant or Siakam is a mistake, in that we'd be bringing in an allstar who wants the ball in his hands to be our 4th option, where what we need is defense.

Before spending assets, I'd look to see what is going on with a guy like Vonleh.

Guys who might be useful and available at the deadline that come to mind are: Milsap, Claxton or Boucher.
:clap:
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#6 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:59 pm

sco wrote:I think we need to give Pat all season to show progress, we'd be selling low if we traded him now. If Pat isn't panning out, I wouldn't go reaching for a trade before giving trying DJJ, Alize and even Green alongside the starters before making a trade.

I also think that bringing in a high utilization guy like Grant or Siakam is a mistake, in that we'd be bringing in an allstar who wants the ball in his hands to be our 4th option, where what we need is defense.

Before spending assets, I'd look to see what is going on with a guy like Vonleh.

Guys who might be useful and available at the deadline that come to mind are: Milsap, Claxton or Boucher.

Boucher is terrible
Milsap is done

Claxton………YES YES YES, but he’s more C than PF?
Salo23
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#7 » by Salo23 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 pm

Who knew Theis would be available for scraps at last year’s trade deadline? AKME pulled that off out of nowhere.

We still have a $5M TPE, and we have the full $3.7M BAE to throw at potential buyout candidates.

I would be shocked if AKME stood pat with the roster as is, I fully expect a trade or two after another “evaluation process” leading up to the next trade deadline.
We are missing a lot of layups right now as a team, and that is on me... It’s my job to make sure we’re ready to make our layups." - Thibodeau.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#8 » by ChettheJet » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:04 pm

The same reacquire problem applies to the perfect role filler Daniel Theis.

doable could be Juan Hernangomez at BOS who isn't playing much. Straight up for DJJ gives the Celts more of a SF wing defender on an expiring contract. Henrnangomez is non guaranteed year two. More of a PF for the Bulls.

The kind of deal I would look for in a trading partner would be someone with a PF with a two year deal vs DJJ on an expiring. If they can find a way to do something it's has to go beyond just game on the floor.

Right now it doesn't look like there are many options, David Bertans in WASH isn't playing much but he makes too much for what he brings, Kyle Kuzma is playing ahead of him in WASH Hachimura and Bryant are out. When they return do they want to move somebody?
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#9 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:13 pm

ChettheJet wrote:The same reacquire problem applies to the perfect role filler Daniel Theis.

doable could be Juan Hernangomez at BOS who isn't playing much. Straight up for DJJ gives the Celts more of a SF wing defender on an expiring contract. Henrnangomez is non guaranteed year two. More of a PF for the Bulls.

The kind of deal I would look for in a trading partner would be someone with a PF with a two year deal vs DJJ on an expiring. If they can find a way to do something it's has to go beyond just game on the floor.

Right now it doesn't look like there are many options, David Bertans in WASH isn't playing much but he makes too much for what he brings, Kyle Kuzma is playing ahead of him in WASH Hachimura and Bryant are out. When they return do they want to move somebody?

I would be ok with a Juancho maybe a Sam Dekkar type. Capable backup.
Salo23
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#10 » by Salo23 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:29 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Right now it doesn't look like there are many options, David Bertans in WASH isn't playing much but he makes too much for what he brings, Kyle Kuzma is playing ahead of him in WASH Hachimura and Bryant are out. When they return do they want to move somebody?

Montrezl Harrell would be a good DJJ trade candidate, their salaries match up almost perfectly. Athletic, high motor PF with 7’4” wingspan. Expiring contract.
We are missing a lot of layups right now as a team, and that is on me... It’s my job to make sure we’re ready to make our layups." - Thibodeau.
panthermark
RealGM

Post#11 » by panthermark » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:37 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Bagley is horrible. Go grab any random GLeague PF if we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel like that.

You are missing the point. What do yo think DJJ's value is right now? Unless you are talking about moving Pat (who's value is also low, and Coby...still somewhat low), or draft picks, you are looking at low end value in return.

Why would the Nets trade Claxton to the Bulls? What would give up for him as a one year rental?

I guess all depends on what one is willing to give up. I'm talking DJJ or TBJr level trades.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#12 » by meekrab » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:41 pm

sco wrote:I think we need to give Pat all season to show progress, we'd be selling low if we traded him now.

Realistically, Pat isn't going anywhere until next trade deadline. He still hasn't had a) his 21st birthday :o or b) an NBA training camp. Trading him now only happens if a Luka or Giannis are on the other side of the table.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#13 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:58 pm

PJ Washington
Brandon Clarke
Jaden McDaniels (probably will take a lot)
Richaun Holmes

Are 4 young bigs that could be attainable that I’ve had on my sights on for a while.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#14 » by weneeda2guard » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:02 am

Bagley name is continuing to be tossed out there but he is not the big we need. He struggles to get back on defense and I'm afraid of him in the pick and roll drop coverage defense. Wish jokim Noah was younger and available he defended those coverages well and could switch etc. Only other bigs I can think of that can give us the defense plus the rebounds we want and need are not available unfortunately unless the lakers are willing to part with Dwight Howard or javele mcgee becomes available. Other then them we would simply be bringing in bigs who will get exposed.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
ikeziskash
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by ikeziskash » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:22 am

Wow, some great answers.

Theis would have really been a good one to keep.
panthermark
RealGM

Post#16 » by panthermark » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:26 am

weneeda2guard wrote:Bagley name is continuing to be tossed out there but he is not the big we need. He struggles to get back on defense and I'm afraid of him in the pick and roll drop coverage defense. Wish jokim Noah was younger and available he defended those coverages well and could switch etc. Only other bigs I can think of that can give us the defense plus the rebounds we want and need are not available unfortunately unless the lakers are willing to part with Dwight Howard or javele mcgee becomes available. Other then them we would simply be bringing in bigs who will get exposed.

Oh I agree in that Bagley is not the big we need. I think his name gets tossed around because he might actually be available at our price range....maybe.
We basically don't want to take on future salary, give up picks, or give up much talent....not gonna get a whole lot in that price range.

What team will trade their useful expiring big for our expiring wing that can't get off the bench?
wolffy
Rookie
And1: 620

Re: Options to fix the PF hole 

Post#17 » by wolffy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 am

What exactly is going on with Bradley again? Just out of rotation?
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,370

Post#18 » by The Box Office » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:39 am

Brandon Clarke.
Christian Wood.

We're not a major threat with Patrick Williams as our starting PF.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#19 » by MrSparkle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:51 am

Contrarian here: work on getting another 3P scorer with good IQ (ideally a wing) in case Coby doesn’t work out. I think Utah is a 1a contender now with the rest of the West all battered, but Ingles/Bogdanovic are the types we want. AKME seem to do their jobs (deep scouting) so maybe they’ll find the Javonte or Troy of shooting.

Honestly, you guys are overthinking this PF thing. Salo23 said it: AKME got a very good Theis for expendable deadweights. These lofty targets (that will cost the remaining chest and more) like Siakam, Wood, Grant and funny suggestions like Bagley (horrible defense), Pat or Coby for Boucher are preposterous. Nuclear implosion waiting to happen if either guy improves with the move (hey look, even Wendell is having good games) and we get stuck with 1 injury to the core.

If Donovan’s done with DJJ before he started, then that’s the guy to swap. I dunno - maybe we take Maxi Kleiber’s salary.
ikeziskash
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by ikeziskash » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 am

The Box Office wrote:Brandon Clarke.
Christian Wood.

We're not a major threat with Patrick Williams as our starting PF.

Houston would trade Wood?

Return to Chicago Bulls