Re: Did Olshey blow landing Markkanen? 

Post#22 » by Blazers20 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:50 pm

5pts and 4reb in a 30 point loss…..
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Post#23 » by kumquat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:35 am

I'm still confident Larry is the better player and fit out of the two. Where is Derrick Jones Jr? Is he injured?
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#24 » by monopoman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:38 am

Nance is looking quite effective out there, I like what he brings to the team.
LillardTime
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#25 » by LillardTime » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am

People are going to be disappointed if they judge Larry by his box score compared to Lauri.

What is already evident is Nance’s versatility defensively and his willingness to play within the system and flow of the game. His numbers on their own aren’t game changing but what he provides for the team could be game changing when you consider he can cover for the defensive deficiencies of our guards amd really help solidify the defence of the second unit which was comical last year.

Our second unit as a whole already looks like the best second unit Dame has ever had and if we can keep Dame to 32 mins during the season and the odd rest, that could be huge come playoffs because Dame has always seemed gassed by the end of the season.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:08 pm

monopoman wrote:Nance is looking quite effective out there, I like what he brings to the team.

I wish he would play more than Roco.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
monopoman
RealGM

Post#27 » by monopoman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:51 pm

LillardTime wrote:People are going to be disappointed if they judge Larry by his box score compared to Lauri.

What is already evident is Nance’s versatility defensively and his willingness to play within the system and flow of the game. His numbers on their own aren’t game changing but what he provides for the team could be game changing when you consider he can cover for the defensive deficiencies of our guards amd really help solidify the defence of the second unit which was comical last year.

Our second unit as a whole already looks like the best second unit Dame has ever had and if we can keep Dame to 32 mins during the season and the odd rest, that could be huge come playoffs because Dame has always seemed gassed by the end of the season.

He also is not given the ball much on offense to really make things happen on that end, I think he could do more if this team wanted it from him.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#28 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:58 am

Gamble on Markkanen's potential, versus Nance as known quantity. Early on, but I think management did ok here. If Nance gets that spot up jumper working in any capacity things could really turn around for that bench mob. Simmons looking confident af, too.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#29 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Nov 3, 2021 4:49 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
monopoman wrote:Nance is looking quite effective out there, I like what he brings to the team.

I don't know about playing more...maybe

but for sure RoCo should not be getting 9.3 more minutes a game. Nance may have the 2nd best court vision as a facilitator on the team behind Dame. He's also rebounding as well as Zeller

I'd also wonder about if some of Dame's struggles are due to screen setting by teammates. Good screens require mass. With a 6'7 PF and a 6'3 SF, running Dame off the ball, as Billups wants/wanted, would depend on those smaller off-ball screen setters. Nance is certainly bigger than either RoCo or Powell

one more thing, in the last 2 games against Charlotte and Philly:

Miles Bridges 6-6
LaMelo Ball 6-6
Gordon Hayward 6-7
Kelly Oubre Jr. 6-7
Cody Martin 6-5
P.J. Washington 6-7

Furkan Korkmaz 6-7
Georges Niang 6-7
Danny Green 6-6
Matisse Thybulle 6-5
(Tobias Harris) 6-8

I've seen some of the disadvantages of Portland's collection of 6'3 wings in those 2 games. More Nance would help equalize that, at least a little
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#30 » by BNM » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:43 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I don't know about playing more...maybe

but for sure RoCo should not be getting 9.3 more minutes a game. Nance may have the 2nd best court vision as a facilitator on the team behind Dame. He's also rebounding as well as Zeller

I'd also wonder about if some of Dame's struggles are due to screen setting by teammates. Good screens require mass. With a 6'7 PF and a 6'3 SF, running Dame off the ball, as Billups wants/wanted, would depend on those smaller off-ball screen setters. Nance is certainly bigger than either RoCo or Powell

one more thing, in the last 2 games against Charlotte and Philly:

Miles Bridges 6-6
LaMelo Ball 6-6
Gordon Hayward 6-7
Kelly Oubre Jr. 6-7
Cody Martin 6-5
P.J. Washington 6-7

Furkan Korkmaz 6-7
Georges Niang 6-7
Danny Green 6-6
Matisse Thybulle 6-5
(Tobias Harris) 6-8

I've seen some of the disadvantages of Portland's collection of 6'3 wings in those 2 games. More Nance would help equalize that, at least a little

This is why I'd still like to see a CJ for Simmons trade. POR throws in RoCo and PHI throws in Reed and Thybulle to match salaries. Throw in a lottery protected FRP and one pick swap to make Morey happy and get it done. This gives POR Simmons, Nance and Little to guard big wings. Move Norm to starting SG, where he belongs, and keep Simons as 6th man. If it keeps Ben happy. announce him as the starting PG, but assign him to guard the other teams best wing player.

"Official" starting line up:

PG Simmons (wink, wink)
SG Lillard
SF Powell
PF Nance (or Little)
C Nurk

Killer small ball line up for 12 - 16 minutes a game:

Dame
Ant
Powell
Simons
Nance

That puts four shooters around Simmons. Nance and Simmons are both good, switchable defenders, and also great passers with excellent court vision.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#31 » by Blazers20 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 am

Markkanen is scoring 20.2ppg and 8rpg for the last 5 games. He is looking much better than Nance and RoCo. Olshey really blew it.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#32 » by monopoman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:14 am

Yeah, Markkanen shooting at a 47.5% EFG and Nance at a 60.3% EFG.

Per 100 possessions Nance REB 13.0 and Markkanen REB 10.2.

If your analysis stops and ends at "More points or more rebounds means he is better!" You are going to really struggle to understand basketball. Nance has been incredible he just is getting far less shots and minutes than Markkanen mostly because this team has quite a few players battling for minutes at that position.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by Blazers20 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:02 am

I’ll take Markkanen over Nance. Pretty telling that RoCo is playing like trash and Nance still having issues taking his minutes.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Post#34 » by Evil_Headband » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:22 pm

VORP for this year so far:

Markkanen: 0.3
Nance, Jr.: 0.3
Jones, Jr.: 0.3
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Post#35 » by Evil_Headband » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:24 pm

VORP for this year so far:

Markkanen: 0.3
Nance, Jr.: 0.3
Jones, Jr.: 0.3
puny
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#36 » by puny » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:56 pm

kumquat wrote:Where is Derrick Jones Jr? Is he injured?

Derrick Jones Jr. plays for Chicago.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by Blazers20 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Imagine if Portland had Lauri now instead of going after Nance.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#38 » by GEE » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:17 pm

Blazers20 wrote:Imagine if Portland had Lauri now instead of going after Nance.

The NBA is a game of hits and misses with the GMs. Lots of what if's. But what you did here should be seen as a violation with a harsh penalty IMO. You brought up a year-old thread, which is fine, but you pulled up one with the "O" word in it. Not Good! I personally don't want to see that name ever again. IB4TL!
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#39 » by Case2012 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:28 pm

This was a fail on many levels.

Wiz broke it down pretty simple on why they did it though, it was a cap issue because of all the idiotic waive and stretched dead weight from cap master Cronin and Olshey.
Instagram: @casetwelve

Return to Portland Trail Blazers