ImageImageImage

Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million

Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,648

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#121 » by toooskies » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:27 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:A shout-out to Markkanen for completely destroying Paul George's offensive game! WOW!

#TheFinnisher #TheDefender

Wouldn't it be the #TheDefinnder ?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#122 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:26 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:A shout-out to Markkanen for completely destroying Paul George's offensive game! WOW!

spoiler alert: he didn't

nba.com has this new feature where you can click a player's shot attempts in the box score and watch each one of them. Looks like PG was 0-6 against Stevens and Mobley and around 3-6 .vs. Lauri.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#123 » by PaKii94 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:51 pm

Yeah his defense was at best average this game
Neonblazer
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#124 » by Neonblazer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

nba.com has this new feature where you can click a player's shot attempts in the box score and watch each one of them. Looks like PG was 0-6 against Stevens and Mobley and around 3-6 .vs. Lauri.

Not quite, but close. Markkanen was still guarding George longer than Mobley and Stevens together by a large margin. And while Markkanen was guarding George had 2 turnovers. Not lockdown defense but not exactly average either.

The picture is from the NBA.com they have matchup stats from the games too. It just comes alot later than the other stats.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#125 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Neonblazer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Not quite, but close. Markkanen was still guarding George longer than Mobley and Stevens together by a large margin. And while Markkanen was guarding George had 2 turnovers. Not lockdown defense but not exactly average either.

The picture is from the NBA.com they have matchup stats from the games too. It just comes alot later than the other stats.

I literally watched the video on every shot attempt that PG13 took, I also watched the game in real-time.

But since, you mentioned turnovers, I went back, clicked that stat and I'm watching those:

#1: It's an inbound play on the baseline. Lauri loses PG who grabs the inbound, Garland steps up to defend him as Lauri catches up, PG13 realizes that Garland left the inbounder unguarded and toss the ball his way, but Garland snatches it out of the air.

#2: Garland turns the ball over, PG13 brings it up the court, Lauri picks him up, Jarrett Allen comes over to help and flicks the ball away as PG is trying to dribble around Lauri, Garland knocks down a 3 and gets his revenge.

#3: PG13 gets a screen so he can get by Stevens with Mobley waiting back in the paint. PG tries to drive on Mobley, Sexton feints bringing help and apparently PG just loses the ball? Hard to tell, but Mobley acts like he didn't touch him and that's what the announcers saw.

#4: PG13 gets a screen to get around Rubio with Love sitting back. Rubio actually recovers back on to PG before he can attack inspite of Batum pushing him. Love slows him down, and PG ends up bowling Rubio over resulting in the TO.

All and all, just some great examples of team defense (who would have thought) and Ricky showing the youngsters how to navigate a screen. Lauri? We're helping him out ... as we should. Leaving him on an island against elite wings is not going to end well.

Unless our other guards start navigating screens like Rubio, what I would do to attack the Cavs is start launching J's coming off those screens rather than attacking our bigs (ideally 3's). Hopefully JBB has something in mind for when we need to face a player like Dame or Steph who will feast if we give them enough room to shoot. If our bigs can get a hand up and contest those J's we should be ok, but there's a fine line between getting a hand up when it still matters and waiving a hand after the shots away.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#126 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:16 pm

toooskies wrote:

Wouldn't it be the #TheDefinnder ?

That's good!
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Swuul
Junior
And1: 276

Post#127 » by Swuul » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:16 pm

Lauri Markkanen has been ordered to enter military service in Finland on 11th of April 2022. Hopefully he remembers to ask for postponement, because as it is, it looks to me Cavs will get to play-offs. Would be kinda a bummer if the police would put him in irons in the middle of a play-off match, and then dragged him to the next plane to Finland. Military desertion is a big offence in Finland, and USA and Finland have a mutual deportion agreement.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#128 » by Revenged25 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:44 pm

Swuul wrote:Lauri Markkanen has been ordered to enter military service in Finland on 11th of April 2022. Hopefully he remembers to ask for postponement, because as it is, it looks to me Cavs will get to play-offs. Would be kinda a bummer if the police would put him in irons in the middle of a play-off match, and then dragged him to the next plane to Finland. Military desertion is a big offence in Finland, and USA and Finland have a mutual deportion agreement.

I mean unless there are a number of injuries to other teams, the Cavs likely won't make it far in the playoffs. It might be better for him to get his service finished this season when the Cavs aren't supposed to make a strong push and then not have to worry about it going forward when they might be more legitimate contenders. Obviously a blockbuster trade could change all that right now it seems like the better plan.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#129 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 8, 2021 7:40 pm

Swuul wrote:Lauri Markkanen has been ordered to enter military service in Finland on 11th of April 2022. Hopefully he remembers to ask for postponement, because as it is, it looks to me Cavs will get to play-offs. Would be kinda a bummer if the police would put him in irons in the middle of a play-off match, and then dragged him to the next plane to Finland. Military desertion is a big offence in Finland, and USA and Finland have a mutual deportion agreement.

So do the Cavs pay him while he's in service? And did they know of this while signing him?

If they don't have to pay him, that's a pretty big save. He's there, what, 6 months?
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#130 » by Revenged25 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:15 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:

So do the Cavs pay him while he's in service? And did they know of this while signing him?

If they don't have to pay him, that's a pretty big save. He's there, what, 6 months?

3.5 months, but he scheduled it to start in April thinking he wouldn't need to play in the playoffs so the Cavs success is messing with it. If he misses this year's playoffs which we likely aren't true contenders anyways, he'll be back for next season when the Cavs will likely truly be competing. Granted that could call change by the trade deadline.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#131 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:20 pm

this military story is a big nothing burger. Yes he has to go, but I don't see how Finland wins by having it's only NBA player miss games. The NHL players work around this obligation just fine.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,648

Post#132 » by toooskies » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:09 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

I mean unless there are a number of injuries to other teams, the Cavs likely won't make it far in the playoffs. It might be better for him to get his service finished this season when the Cavs aren't supposed to make a strong push and then not have to worry about it going forward when they might be more legitimate contenders. Obviously a blockbuster trade could change all that right now it seems like the better plan.

We did just beat the 2, 4, and 5 seeds in the east. (Yes, the Heat and Bulls were a bit undermanned.). So long as we are a 3-6 seed I think we've got a good chance to come out of the first round.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#133 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:34 am

Lauri is really beginning to impress me. He's moving without the ball, cutting to the basket when his teammates are double teamed, and basically proving to be a difficult defensive assignment for typical SFs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Post#134 » by Taikuri » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:19 am

Revenged25 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

3.5 months, but he scheduled it to start in April thinking he wouldn't need to play in the playoffs so the Cavs success is messing with it. If he misses this year's playoffs which we likely aren't true contenders anyways, he'll be back for next season when the Cavs will likely truly be competing. Granted that could call change by the trade deadline.

I just want to give some general info about Finnish military service and what Lauri will be going through for our non-Finnish friends. I'm from Finland and I have gone through that military service here which was 6 months of piece of cake. Pro athletes can pretty much skip that military service if they want to, although it's "mandatory" here for males. Some pro athletes however want to complete it just for their honor and tradition I guess and often if their dad and/or family members have done it as well. It's a thing of pride for them.

So I'm little bit surprised that Lauri decided to kind of volunteer for it because that puts a little burden on his summer practice, but not much. It's a really light version of military service for pro athletes usually and not really even 6 months. Lauri will certainly be shooting the ball almost every day while he is doing his military service and he will most likely also be working in the gym almost every day.

We had some NHL star players doing that. For example Minnesota Wild's captain Mikko Koivu did it together with his NHL star teammate Mikael Granlund, while being on the top of their game. Again they just pretty much volunteered for it. That was years ago and it didn't affect their play at all. It could even be that completing it made them play better as they probably felt like the military service was something that they had to go through or they didn't feel like being real Finnish men. So they felt obligated to do that. Most NHL players don't do it at all and can skip it if they request to do so. In my opinion pro athletes don't need to bother with it as they represent Finland very well already on big world stage and give Finland some fame, which I'm aware is a little bit unknown country on world scale.

I mean if Russians attack here (Finland shares a lot of land border with Russia and was fighting them during both World Wars) which is very unlikely, do we really need Lauri Markkanen to grab the gun and go playing with them. As a Marksman he would probably snipe every one of them, but no we don't need him for that. Besides Finland made that big F-35 Lockheed Martin purchase from USA yesterday (64 planes I believe), so Russians already crapped their pants and won't bother entertaining any ideas of attacking any time soon with their crappy planes which just crash and burn during their flight shows :) .
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#135 » by Louri » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:57 pm

"Plus-Minus Players of the Week
Right Way: Lauri Markkanen (CLE) was a plus-63 in four games last week."

After that +21 against Miami. Pretty good I would say for someone that was reason why Bulls lost everytime last season (Bulls board).
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#136 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Louri wrote:"Plus-Minus Players of the Week
Right Way: Lauri Markkanen (CLE) was a plus-63 in four games last week."

After that +21 against Miami. Pretty good I would say for someone that was reason why Bulls lost everytime last season (Bulls board).

Lmao. I see what you did there.

The majority of the Bulls posters knew **** when it came down to evaluating Lauri properly. And objectively.

Lol. Till the last day his most vehement opponents maintained the position Markkanen is a below average defender, with the help of others at best average. Oh the amount of ridiculing... :roll:

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#137 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:12 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Lauri is really beginning to impress me. He's moving without the ball, cutting to the basket when his teammates are double teamed, and basically proving to be a difficult defensive assignment for typical SFs.

I've been the last 4 years, he's got tons of potential. But do go on. :wink:

12/2/2022
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#138 » by jbk1234 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:48 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Lauri is really beginning to impress me. He's moving without the ball, cutting to the basket when his teammates are double teamed, and basically proving to be a difficult defensive assignment for typical SFs.

The last couple games, opposing teams have started game planning for him. We'll see how he adjusts.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#139 » by JonFromVA » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

The last couple games, opposing teams have started game planning for him. We'll see how he adjusts.

That's one of the cool things about this team (with Collin MIA), nobody is really wired to force their game when it's not working. That's why we have 8 players currently scoring in double digits. Take away Collin if you want and call it 7, but Isaac isn't far off joining the party.

otoh, a winning streak does wonders for a team's +/- numbers. Even Isaac has a +4.6 pp100 OnCourt at the moment (worst among starters).
Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Post#140 » by Taikuri » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:09 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

That's one of the cool things about this team (with Collin MIA), nobody is really wired to force their game when it's not working. That's why we have 8 players currently scoring in double digits. Take away Collin if you want and call it 7, but Isaac isn't far off joining the party.

otoh, a winning streak does wonders for a team's +/- numbers. Even Isaac has a +4.6 pp100 OnCourt at the moment (worst among starters).

It's a fun team to watch. So steady performances, even if some players are missing. I think the steadiness would take a hit if Garland would be absent or Allen. Rubio could step in for Garland and do well though.

I love to watch Kevin Love on the bench or on the court when his teammates do something well. He seems to be genuinely so positive despite of being a star player and made not to be a starter in this team (from his point of view he could say unfairly put to bench). He is truly a good teammate. I want to ask you guys, was Kevin Love like this last season as well during games in terms of positive body language? That 22-50 win loss record seems pretty depressing so I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Love showed different body language last season for that reason. I know how it feels like cause Bulls had many seasons like that not long ago and to be honest I expected Cleveland to have another season like that this season.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers