ImageImageImage

Evan Mobley -- Centerpiece of the Cavalier Rebuild?

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Re: Evan Mobley -- Centerpiece of the Cavalier Rebuild? 

Post#81 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:27 am

yoyoboy wrote:What do you guys expect of this Davis-Mobley matchup? Mobley gonna end up getting rook’d or do you think he’ll hold his own?

I'm optimistic and my impression over the years is that Davis doesn't always seem to bring it and will settle so he could be outworked potentially.

But don't want to jinx whatever the heck is going on ....
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#82 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:43 am

Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Dunno what his final form is on offense, I imagine he'll copy a bit of Giannis' stuff because he has the passing chops to utilise. On D he'll do the same as Giannis. Little bit of SF early then PF then C.

What if Giannis was able to just focus on defense and finishing plays rather than running the offense?

Meaning, no resting on defense but defending the best player on the other team when it makes sense, perhaps being the head of a 1-2-2 zone like the Cavs have experimented with ... just completely unlocked to focus on D?

How do you think that would look or has looked?

Because I think that's one possible path for Mobley if his offensive game doesn't expand, and especially in the short-term given his defensive impact is way ahead of his offensive impact in the early going.

I think you're selling your guy short.

I see no reason why his offensive game won't expand simply for the reason that he's one of the very few players that can reliably get a good shot off due to his height/length.

The guy will probably have some gravity in his career which will open up passes for other players.

He's going to get stronger, but will his ball handling, shooting, first step and moves all take big steps? Could happen, but I think a fully engaged dpoy caliber player is extremely valuable if surrounded by teammates who can do those other things.

And you can't seemingly have both in one guy, at least on a consistent basis. The load is too much even for super human players.

But that's why I asked about Giannis ... he does have the potential to defend the entire floor if he was so inclined and didn't have to carry the offense.

LeBron had his moments but avoided defending the best opponent on the ball until there was no other choice and to be honest he really couldn't defend 1-5. Some Cs and PFs were able to embarrass him with their length and even with his build he didn't like to bang. A bit of a bully in that he preferred to use his power on smaller players.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,615

Post#83 » by Vampirate » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:57 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
What if Giannis was able to just focus on defense and finishing plays rather than running the offense?

Meaning, no resting on defense but defending the best player on the other team when it makes sense, perhaps being the head of a 1-2-2 zone like the Cavs have experimented with ... just completely unlocked to focus on D?

How do you think that would look or has looked?

Because I think that's one possible path for Mobley if his offensive game doesn't expand, and especially in the short-term given his defensive impact is way ahead of his offensive impact in the early going.

I think you're selling your guy short.

I see no reason why his offensive game won't expand simply for the reason that he's one of the very few players that can reliably get a good shot off due to his height/length.

The guy will probably have some gravity in his career which will open up passes for other players.

He's going to get stronger, but will his ball handling, shooting, first step and moves all take big steps? Could happen, but I think a fully engaged dpoy caliber player is extremely valuable if surrounded by teammates who can do those other things.

And you can't seemingly have both in one guy, at least on a consistent basis. The load is too much even for super human players.

But that's why I asked about Giannis ... he does have the potential to defend the entire floor if he was so inclined and didn't have to carry the offense.

LeBron had his moments but avoided defending the best opponent on the ball until there was no other choice and to be honest he really couldn't defend 1-5. Some Cs and PFs were able to embarrass him with their length and even with his build he didn't like to bang. A bit of a bully in that he preferred to use his power on smaller players.

His floor is probably comparable to Rudy Gobert's in terms of impact. He won't be the rim protector Rudy is (Rudy is pretty much a traditional C, while Mobley is a PF/SF combo) but also is not someone who can be easily abused in the Playoffs.

I think his defense will hold better in the playoffs than Rudy's has.

He can add strength as long as it doesn't take away from his agility and ability to guard the perimeter.

Another thing to keep in mind is if he can get his shooting up to par, he can make his defense turn into easy offense.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#84 » by B Mac » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:36 pm

I havent logged in to my account in so long that I wasnt sure I was still active, but wanted to stop by to say that it is very exciting and very clear that Mobley is going to be one of the next stars in this league.

So thankful that the Pistons and Rockets passed on him, and still just as shocked as draft night that they did so. He was easily the top prospect and had been since around early January.

Let's enjoy another transcendent talent Cavs fans!
SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#85 » by SaiCLE » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:28 pm

Seriously after reading the General Board I don’t understand why opposing fans feel the need to attempt to devalue Mobley.

He plays 40 minutes a night running on fumes just to keep our defense afloat & he impacts the game without the need to score 18 a night.

We have people saying he is “Clint capela with a jumper” when they play nothing alike lol.

Even being criticized for not getting his “own” offense. The Cavs play team ball & we have a young PG who runs the offense. No need to force and rush things.

Mobley is a straight up star.

Rockets & Raptors fans continue to obsess over this man. It’s weird.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#86 » by JonFromVA » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:01 pm

SaiCLE wrote:Seriously after reading the General Board I don’t understand why opposing fans feel the need to attempt to devalue Mobley.

He plays 40 minutes a night running on fumes just to keep our defense afloat & he impacts the game without the need to score 18 a night.

We have people saying he is “Clint capela with a jumper” when they play nothing alike lol.

Even being criticized for not getting his “own” offense. The Cavs play team ball & we have a young PG who runs the offense. No need to force and rush things.

Maybe I have some threads to catch up with, but I thought if anything the GB was being over-positive/excited about Evan.

Maybe Evan is being overplayed by JBB, but I'm not seeing the same defensive energy he was giving in his first 4 games. His contested shots have certainly dropped from when he was averaging 20 per game. His offense is fine, but not really ROY level. His on-court and on-off have recently dipped negative and even his BPM has slipped and is now -0.7.

Which is not to say, my excitement regarding Evan has changed a single bit ... but he's still a rail thin rookie big man learning the ropes and getting used to the grind and bumps and bruises of a long NBA season.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach

Post#87 » by Vampirate » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:27 pm

SaiCLE wrote:Seriously after reading the General Board I don’t understand why opposing fans feel the need to attempt to devalue Mobley.

I think there's most Raptors fans that are over the moon on his potential honestly (i'm one) but the ones who are letting their homerism shade their view too much are the most talkative and stand out the most.

Mobley vs Barnes should be a good matchup, let's see what the rookies have facing each other.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#88 » by JonFromVA » Fri Nov 5, 2021 8:02 pm

Vampirate wrote:

I think there's most Raptors fans that are over the moon on his potential honestly (i'm one) but the ones who are letting their homerism shade their view too much are the most talkative and stand out the most.

Mobley vs Barnes should be a good matchup, let's see what the rookies have facing each other.

Cavs fans are just enjoying what we're seeing, and I've said from the beginning my goal with Evan is to see him get some DPOY votes maybe make an all defensive team. I really don't expect a defensive rook to win ROY regardless of his impact, as long as someone else comes along and puts up something close to 20ppg.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by Vampirate » Sun Nov 7, 2021 7:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

Cavs fans are just enjoying what we're seeing, and I've said from the beginning my goal with Evan is to see him get some DPOY votes maybe make an all defensive team. I really don't expect a defensive rook to win ROY regardless of his impact, as long as someone else comes along and puts up something close to 20ppg.

I've been thinking of comps for Mobley, I don't see the comparison to Duncan in him because Duncan came in and was immediately an All Star on both ends.

I think right now, a fair comp is a poor man's Dikembe Mutumbo, would you think that's fair? (he can get past this obviously)

Regular season wise KG with a 3 point shot is probably his realistic true ceiling, unless his handle drastically improves then he's probably KD + being a perennial DPOTY contender (odds of this happening are extremely low but there).

Anyways the playoffs is obviously what will tell you his ultimate ceiling is.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Post#90 » by toooskies » Sun Nov 7, 2021 8:03 pm

Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

I've been thinking of comps for Mobley, I don't see the comparison to Duncan in him because Duncan came in and was immediately an All Star on both ends.

I think right now, a fair comp is a poor man's Dikembe Mutumbo, would you think that's fair? (he can get past this obviously)

Regular season wise KG with a 3 point shot is probably his realistic true ceiling, unless his handle drastically improves then he's probably KD + being a perennial DPOTY contender (odds of this happening are extremely low but there).

I can't say there's a reasonable comp/direction for Mobley. Comparing to all-timers is unfair, particularly when you don't have the elite-elite physical traits or a knockdown shot. He's got amazing defensive BBIQ, though, and is competent-or-better at nearly everything on the court.

Duncan also played in college for four years, so we can check back in on that comp in three seasons after Mobley has some time to work on his offensive game.

Just like you don't really comp KG to AD to TD, though, I think Mobley's going to be his own thing.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Vampirate » Sun Nov 7, 2021 8:10 pm

toooskies wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I can't say there's a reasonable comp/direction for Mobley. Comparing to all-timers is unfair, particularly when you don't have the elite-elite physical traits or a knockdown shot. He's got amazing defensive BBIQ, though, and is competent-or-better at nearly everything on the court.

Duncan also played in college for four years, so we can check back in on that comp in three seasons after Mobley has some time to work on his offensive game.

Just like you don't really comp KG to AD to TD, though, I think Mobley's going to be his own thing.

This is why until he is in half his 2nd year i think Mutombo is a good comp.

Mutombo came in and was an All Star but all of his contributions were on the defensive end pretty much.

I'm basically saying Mobley is a skinny Mutombo atm. Both are elite rim protectors, both can guard the perimeter and on offense both are more finishers that the point guards set up for them.

Can Mobley go past this? Sure, but time will tell.

Mutombo I believe was a way more agile Rudy Gobert.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#92 » by toooskies » Sun Nov 7, 2021 10:32 pm

Vampirate wrote:
toooskies wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

Mutombo came in and was an All Star but all of his contributions were on the defensive end pretty much.

I'm basically saying Mobley is a skinny Mutombo atm. Both are elite rim protectors, both can guard the perimeter and on offense both are more finishers that the point guards set up for them.

Mutombo also came into the league when he was 25 years old, so comparing him to Mobley is even less fair than comparing Duncan.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#93 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:00 am

Vampirate wrote:
toooskies wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

The easiest comp is Anthony Davis ... both one and done, both in the same era, both did similar things in College, both came in to the league very thin. Evan may not be as athletic but his functional athleticism and IQ may make that moot.

But depending how Evan fills out and develops his offense - he could hop off the AD/KG/TD track and start heading in more of a KD/Giannis direction.

Just a world of possibilities when a big is playing like this so early in his career.

But Dikembe didn't even enter the league until he was 25 ... if that's Evans upside then we have to assume his improvements are mostly small and incremental... gets stronger, gains some experience, improves his rebounding and shot blocking ... and that's about it.

I've watched LeBron and Kyrie develop and the biggest difference wasn't LeBron's physical gifts ... it was his BBIQ and drive to figure out what it takes to win. Kyrie was basically doing Steph things at 4 years younger, but Steph kept taking his game to higher levels while Kyrie seemed content to just keep doing what he was doing.

There's just too many things we can't predict, but Evan is about as flawless as they come at his age. If he adds no off the dribble moves, no new post moves, can't shoot 3s, and gets stronger but still has a weak base, even suffers a foot/knee injury... he should still become a very valuable player.

He's so far ahead of top prospects who became rim protectors / rim runners like Nerlens Noel or Tyson Chandler.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Vampirate » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I've watched LeBron and Kyrie develop and the biggest difference wasn't LeBron's physical gifts ... it was his BBIQ and drive to figure out what it takes to win. Kyrie was basically doing Steph things at 4 years younger, but Steph kept taking his game to higher levels while Kyrie seemed content to just keep doing what he was doing.

Well you're half right, Lebron is BBIQ mixed in with a 6"9 uber athletic body, but thanks to that BBIQ it allowed him to age gracefully.

I'm going to be honest on Jalen Green, I think he'll win a scoring title some day, but he's probably my best bet on the player who's going to flame out the fastest once his jump out of the gym athleticism fades.

I obviously could be wrong here.

Cade, Mobley, Giddey, Barnes, Suggs all have high BBIQ imo and have something unique that will let their games age more gracefully and last longer. (height, power, passing etc)

Again, I could be wrong.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#95 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:43 pm

Vampirate wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:I've watched LeBron and Kyrie develop and the biggest difference wasn't LeBron's physical gifts ... it was his BBIQ and drive to figure out what it takes to win. Kyrie was basically doing Steph things at 4 years younger, but Steph kept taking his game to higher levels while Kyrie seemed content to just keep doing what he was doing.

Well you're half right, Lebron is BBIQ mixed in with a 6"9 uber athletic body, but thanks to that BBIQ it allowed him to age gracefully.

I'm going to be honest on Jalen Green, I think he'll win a scoring title some day, but he's probably my best bet on the player who's going to flame out the fastest once his jump out of the gym athleticism fades.

I obviously could be wrong here.

Cade, Mobley, Giddey, Barnes, Suggs all have high BBIQ imo and have something unique that will let their games age more gracefully and last longer. (height, power, passing etc)

Again, I could be wrong.

LeBron understood stuff in high-school that Kyrie never grasped as a Cavalier, like the importance of getting teammates involved, creating easy buckets, etc, because "Mamba-mentality" or whatever. Kyrie even had LeBron as a resource to help him learn how to ascend to the top and failed to use him. And by that I mean the way he uses everything and anything to give him an advantage like how he protects his body from injury, how he trains, how he studies opponents, how he recovers, how he encourages teammates, how he leads, etc, etc.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#96 » by toooskies » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:36 am

Mobley out with a sprained elbow, of all things. I'm not even sure how you do that.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#97 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Best Cavs draftee since LeBron?

Way-Too-Soon 2021 NBA Re-Draft: A New No. 1 Pick in Our Do-over

1. Evan Mobley (USC, PF/C)

Original pick: No. 3

There was always a belief that Evan Mobley had a chance to be the top prospect in the 2021 draft class.

His thin frame and small sample size of shooting suggested he was riskier than Cade Cunningham, whose creation, takeover shot-making skills and passing felt safer and fit a more enticing archetype. But by finishing at a 73.6 percent clip in the restricted area, making threes (eight in 15 games) and thriving at the 4, Mobley has immediately squashed the few concerns that could have prevented him from reaching superstar levels.

Meanwhile, there were questions about whether the USC flash plays of pull-ups, face-up drives and ball-handling would carry over. They have during his first month as a pro.

Aside from his scoring versatility translating so quickly, Mobley already looks like one of the league's most special defensive weapons. After finishing last season ranked 25th in defensive efficiency, the Cleveland Cavaliers are seventh this season, in part due to their addition of Mobley.

Cunningham may eventually live up to expectations, but in a redraft, the Detroit Pistons couldn't afford to pass on the new certainty about Mobley's special two-way impact.
Bleacher Report
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#98 » by JonFromVA » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Best Cavs draftee since LeBron?

Kyrie had a pretty amazing rookie season, but if we're judging by their ability to help a team win basketball games, Evan was on his way to getting the nod before hurting his elbow.

Kyrie won some games almost single-handedly as a rook, but Evan's defenses shows up every night. Evan helps his teammates on both ends of the floor, while Kyrie was more of a one man wrecking ball.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#99 » by Pelly24 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:10 am

JonFromVA wrote:

Kyrie had a pretty amazing rookie season, but if we're judging by their ability to help a team win basketball games, Evan was on his way to getting the nod before hurting his elbow.

Kyrie won some games almost single-handedly as a rook, but Evan's defenses shows up every night. Evan helps his teammates on both ends of the floor, while Kyrie was more of a one man wrecking ball.

So much of how Kyrie is seen, or was seen even, comes down to where he was drafted and when. If he'd come out of high school and ended up in San Antonio as a mid lottery pick, he would've immediately been seen as a winning player because he could come off the bench and average like 14/4/5 on like +7 TS% and play within a system seamlessly. But instead, he ended up on the post-LeBron Cavs that stupidly drafted Anthony Bennet No. 1 and was obviously trying to tank. He came into the league an 18/4/6 on +4 or +5 TS% efficiency. He could play fast, slow, on or off ball just like now. He won multiple games singlehandedly. He could get by any defender any time he wanted, score from everywhere on the court and dish out passes nicely. Remember the game winners versus the Celtics and Nuggets. Mobley is great, but the circumstances here are totally different. Jarrett Allen alone is far better than everyone Kyrie played with before LeBron returned to Cleveland. Same with Collin Sexton and Darius Garland. Not even close. Mobley might be the best prospect/player since LeBron, but it's not an apples to apples thing, and Kyrie was pretty much an All-Star guy from Day No. 1.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#100 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:31 am

Pelly24 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

So much of how Kyrie is seen, or was seen even, comes down to where he was drafted and when. If he'd come out of high school and ended up in San Antonio as a mid lottery pick, he would've immediately been seen as a winning player because he could come off the bench and average like 14/4/5 on like +7 TS% and play within a system seamlessly. But instead, he ended up on the post-LeBron Cavs that stupidly drafted Anthony Bennet No. 1 and was obviously trying to tank. He came into the league an 18/4/6 on +4 or +5 TS% efficiency. He could play fast, slow, on or off ball just like now. He won multiple games singlehandedly. He could get by any defender any time he wanted, score from everywhere on the court and dish out passes nicely. Remember the game winners versus the Celtics and Nuggets. Mobley is great, but the circumstances here are totally different. Jarrett Allen alone is far better than everyone Kyrie played with before LeBron returned to Cleveland. Same with Collin Sexton and Darius Garland. Not even close. Mobley might be the best prospect/player since LeBron, but it's not an apples to apples thing, and Kyrie was pretty much an All-Star guy from Day No. 1.

Pops wouldn't put up with a player who only played for himself like Kyrie, so something would have to give.

After Kyrie beat some teams they watched tape and they realized they just had to crowd the paint and Irving would beat himself. He became allergic to contract, stopped drawing fouls, stopped fighting through screens, stopped playing defense, belittled his teammate.

Things can change, but Evan is well on his way to surpassing Kyrie almost no matter how you slice it and so much of the difference is in his head.

Nobody is going to wonder if the Cavs would be better off starting Matthew Dellevadova over Mobley.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers