ImageImageImageImage

What does Bamba's next contract look like?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

4/20
No votes
4/40
19%
4/60
57%
4/80
19%
4/100
5%

Total votes: 37

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,631

Post#1 » by thelead » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:44 am

This man is earning a TON of money right now IMO. If he keeps this up, what do you think his next contract looks like?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Re: What does Bamba's next contract look like? 

Post#2 » by RookieStar » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:05 am

I personally think that GMs around the leaguehave learned about the Jerome James contract year scenario so thus I think its could be 4/60 plus bonuses to be 4/70
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,522

Post#3 » by SOUL » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 am

RookieStar wrote:I personally think that GMs around the leaguehave learned about the Jerome James contract year scenario so thus I think its could be 4/60 plus bonuses to be 4/70

Bamba is definitely not Jerome James lol but I agree on not giving crazy amounts
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:13 am

SOUL wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I personally think that GMs around the leaguehave learned about the Jerome James contract year scenario so thus I think its could be 4/60 plus bonuses to be 4/70

Bamba is definitely not Jerome James lol but I agree on not giving crazy amounts

oh def not. But i meant that scenario where JJ contract year had him fooling the Knicks into giving him that fat contract which he then went back to his old lazy bum self.

So GMs are weary of giving big contracts to just 1 year of stellar play where before it was years of non-productive ones.
thelead
RealGM

Post#5 » by thelead » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:14 am

Seeing what Allen got from the Cavs, my guess is that he’ll get a 4/80 offer and we’ll match it.
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#6 » by pinoynurse » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:39 am

Giving extensions on a player who has shown a poor motor every year and suddenly plays hard on a contract yr is always a tricky situation for me
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
thelead
RealGM

Post#7 » by thelead » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:52 am

pinoynurse wrote:Giving extensions on a player who has shown a poor motor every year and suddenly plays hard on a contract yr is always a tricky situation for me

I don’t disagree but we also should have moved on from Vuc and Cliff sooner to find out what we had.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,260

Post#8 » by pepe1991 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:50 am

pointless.
6 games into regular season people would offer Harrison Barnes supermax on that sample size?

Once we are 50-60 games in, Magic stack against East and West and play some top tear (and rock bottom) teams you will have at least some sense of quality.

Heat is kind a like only really good team magic faced (as we are yet to play anybody from West but Spurs...who only won 1 game, against us). Knicks, Hornets, Raptors are not bad but those teams are harldy anything more than first round exit, 45-47 wins- at most- type teams.

And it's not like you can sign him today or any other team can. So whole thing is offseason conversation.
In general investing too much in Wendell, Isaac and Bamba, having Franz & Okeke at rookie contracts and being in position to draft Banchero, Holmgren and Duren is silly.
Piling up assets at same position is usless.
Right now we have Fultz & MCW out and we already have created logjam at PG-SG to the point where RJ Hampton played 5 and half min as "prospect".

Also from salary perception, if you ever want to be anything more than rebuilding-for decades-team, you need salary cap to make trade for superstar or develop one. So you can't tie your salary into every role player that puts up any stats on 20 wins team.

Just for sake of argument, what if Cole is playing like this and it's his contract year, would you give him 4 years $100M exstension based on that? Why not? Cole can be our star
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#9 » by fendilim » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 am

thelead wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:Giving extensions on a player who has shown a poor motor every year and suddenly plays hard on a contract yr is always a tricky situation for me

I don’t disagree but we also should have moved on from Vuc and Cliff sooner to find out what we had.
But that issue has hounded him since college though.

I definitely think he'll be paid more than WCJ if he continues.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#10 » by Skybox » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:57 am

Did anybody hear of any extension talks with Bamba ever being discussed? Did the Magic try to extend both WCJ and Bamba on reasonable, tradable deals or did they tell Bamba "go earn your next deal"? He's doing it so far, will be an interesting dynamic with Isaac and Okeke coming back...how will the rotation change? Will Isaac start next to Bamba and, if so, does Isaac help make Bamba look good in the ways that WCJ complements Mo? (I'm not crazy, to date, Isaac is miles ahead of both but chemistry is everything). Honestly, I'd hate to see Bamba go back to the bench role-I think it would stifle his growth...he's still got massive upside, IMO.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#11 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm

The more important question should be if he keeps this level of production up, and we still get a high lotto pick, do you take one of the high-potential bigs?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#12 » by Skybox » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:The more important question should be if he keeps this level of production up, and we still get a high lotto pick, do you take one of the high-potential bigs?

That's a big IF, but I'd definitely be entertaining offers for that pick or at least looking at trading down for an Alpha scoring/shooting 3. Could be an amazing turn of events...many here have said each draft that paying too much or drafting too high for Centers doesn't pay in today's NBA...There are plenty of examples +/-, but would be great to have options...I'm not suddenly on the bandwagon when I say we should have locked him up with a WCJ-type deal when we could have.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#13 » by JF5 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:31 pm

I don't think the Magic are going to resign him in the off-season. As good as his play has been. He still lacks alot of the intangibles/IQ to be nothing more than a role player. He's a spot up shooter with decent to good at times Shot blocking ability. He's not a good defender and he lacks the strength and motor to after it consistently.

Unless we had 2-3 wing All-stars/Superstars on the team who could mask his deficiencies and played to his strengths like a Brooklyn or Clippers then you'd pay him. But a team like the Magic it makes no sense.

He's waaaayyy too one dimensional offensively and lacks too much defensively for my liking for the Magic to resign him at a hefty price. Especially when there are way better prospects in the draft.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#14 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:45 pm

JF5 wrote:I don't think the Magic are going to resign him in the off-season. As good as his play has been. He still lacks alot of the intangibles/IQ to be nothing more than a role player. He's a spot up shooter with decent to good at times Shot blocking ability. He's not a good defender and he lacks the strength and motor to after it consistently.

Unless we had 2-3 wing All-stars/Superstars on the team who could mask his deficiencies and played to his strengths like a Brooklyn or Clippers then you'd pay him. But a team like the Magic it makes no sense.

He's waaaayyy too one dimensional offensively and lacks too much defensively for my liking for the Magic to resign him at a hefty price. Especially when there are way better prospects in the draft.
If the Magic are smart they will trade him before the deadline. Why lock up money on a guy that has questionable motor and at the center position which has decreased in impact.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
Skybox
RealGM

Post#15 » by Skybox » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:38 pm

JF5 wrote: with decent to good at times Shot blocking ability.

He's got plenty of weaknesses despite his recent boost and he may never fix them, but...c'mon man...you can't give him credit for the one thing that's been a constant even when he gets 5 min a game? :noway:
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#16 » by JF5 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:16 pm

Skybox wrote:
JF5 wrote: with decent to good at times Shot blocking ability.

He's got plenty of weaknesses despite his recent boost and he may never fix them, but...c'mon man...you can't give him credit for the one thing that's been a constant even when he gets 5 min a game? :noway:

He's good when guys go directly at him (or funneled to him) but in the context of him tracking down blocks, having the awareness, not missing assignments, and shifting a defense it's non-existent to below average.

We've already known that he could block shots. It's the other defensive attributes of being a starting caliber shot blocker that has that impact every time he's on the court.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#17 » by Xatticus » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:31 pm

Skybox wrote:Did anybody hear of any extension talks with Bamba ever being discussed? Did the Magic try to extend both WCJ and Bamba on reasonable, tradable deals or did they tell Bamba "go earn your next deal"? He's doing it so far, will be an interesting dynamic with Isaac and Okeke coming back...how will the rotation change? Will Isaac start next to Bamba and, if so, does Isaac help make Bamba look good in the ways that WCJ complements Mo? (I'm not crazy, to date, Isaac is miles ahead of both but chemistry is everything). Honestly, I'd hate to see Bamba go back to the bench role-I think it would stifle his growth...he's still got massive upside, IMO.

I really doubt they even bothered. It's not fair to either side. We'll learn more about Bamba this year than we did over the entirety of his first three years with the organization.

It's interesting that Bamba has been spending a lot of time matching up with fours. I don't know just how much of that is by design or situational, but it seemed as though WCJ spent a lot more time on Achiuwa last night. Bamba even shared the floor with Lopez for a stretch. He's done reasonably well in that role as well. I just never would've thought him capable of it coming into the year. He's doing a good job of getting down in a stance and he is so long that when guys do go by him, he can still get some blocks from behind. He's also improved his discipline in his closeouts.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#18 » by Xatticus » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:35 pm

JF5 wrote:I don't think the Magic are going to resign him in the off-season. As good as his play has been. He still lacks alot of the intangibles/IQ to be nothing more than a role player. He's a spot up shooter with decent to good at times Shot blocking ability. He's not a good defender and he lacks the strength and motor to after it consistently.

I don't think anyone is talking about a hefty price tag, but the reason you re-sign him is because he alters shots.

The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.

-Bill Russell

Bamba seems to be figuring this out. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses, but I believe that Mosley has already done wonders for Bamba. His ceiling is still very high.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#19 » by RookieStar » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:45 pm

thelead wrote:

Seeing what Allen got from the Cavs, my guess is that he’ll get a 4/80 offer and we’ll match it.

The thing is though, Jafro was showing consistent and progressive development prior to getting that big contract. Mo all of a sudden just blew up this season. Thus it's a big gamble for the GMs. Is this the start of a consistent development or is this contract year effort?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,152

Post#20 » by zaymon » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:50 pm

I would be very hesitant to give Bamba even 4/40. He is worse than Carter, has bad history with effort, attitude and also he is still below average defender with limited offensive game.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic