Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Re: Tobias Harris Trade Thread 

Post#581 » by the_process » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:14 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Why would Tobias be a tank commander? I would hate to have him on my team if I'm intentionally losing. He's going to win enough worthless games to keep you out of the highest odds of top draft pick.

He's not high volume enough to win anything. He'd be a great tank commander. Maybe we'll find out when we shut down Embiid and shut down Simmons trade market.

I give it less than a month before Embiid is shut down.

Bring on the Tank Commander Harris! Start Joe, start whoever needs a pump in trade value lol.

This is becoming a more likely scenario by the day. Jo is already hobbling.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#582 » by Mik317 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:16 pm

Tobias was very bad that first playoff run, no?

He needs to eat possessions to get going; and does it via slow grinding dribbling into either a contested 2 or maybe a layup...but one that avoids contact.

He has tried to take more quick 3s but his game is that of a guy who is better than he is. He is Baby Melo....except Melo could go on big scoring binges so it was kinda worth it...and even Melo had issues as a main option after a while. Tobias is a strange ass player lol. If you didn't watch any games and just scoreboard watched it looks great/fine. You watch games and I swear I see half of the buckets he makes lol (Doubly so now since Niang and Him often blend together for my **** eyes).

He's good (and a great guy/reads books/cool accent) but is another guy on the roster that feels like they will always be a square peg in a round hole no matter what happens. You look around the league and teams just have dudes who can do modern nba things while we are here building the greatest 90's era team there is.

But again the one thing we have not tried is getting a real ass PG...like even Jimmy who loves to be a PG..isn't a real one. I wonder how many guys would thrive with a real set up man with some gravity. It feels like the "best" one of those was Ish Smith ffs...hell even Ben's non shooting ass whenever he figured out that throwing himself at the rim is neat pre all star game was great. This A guy stands at the top of the key looking for open shooters or else he posts up into a contested 2 offense is buns.

But all of this word salad aside....Tobias has been fine this season. Offensively better than Biid actually.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#583 » by mjkvol » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm

Mik317 wrote:Tobias is a strange ass player lol. If you didn't watch any games and just scoreboard watched it looks great/fine. You watch games and I swear I see half of the buckets he makes lol (Doubly so now since Niang and Him often blend together for my **** eyes).

He's good (and a great guy/reads books/cool accent) but is another guy on the roster that feels like they will always be a square peg in a round hole no matter what happens. You look around the league and teams just have dudes who can do modern nba things while we are here building the greatest 90's era team there is.

This nails it. When you listen to broadcasters (both local and national) talk about Harris and they make it seem as if it's a mystery why he isn't a perennial all star and recite his numbers it's as if they're talking about a different player than you're actually watching. When I see that he scored 24 points after a game I'm lucky if I can remember a handful of them.

But if he has that kind of rep nationally and around the league right now, this is the time to strike, when the iron is as hot as it will ever get. It is borderline GM incompetence if Morey hasn't at least been quietly shopping Harris. He of all people has to know how dysfunctional this roster is in today's NBA.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#584 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:08 am

Tobi is neither a good FTr guy nor a good 3pt shooter, nor a reliable scorer in crunch time where he scores most of his points on transition and garbage time (early in the game; big margin).

He’s trying to develop his post game and 2 man games but I just the nature of his size relative to position won’t make him effective at those. A defense can simply switch, where I find him to have some difficulty scoring on smaller defenders like Bogdanovic.

It’s not recommended to build a roster just for Tobi. But if Im asked to, I’d pair him with a big PF. Which explains why we’re OK to invest a lot in him when we had Ben. Or why we see Doc plays some Tobi-Niang-Biid frontcourt. And if you want something a step further, I’d play him with a big SF and a big PF.

Our current unit with a small backcourt and with DGreen at SF, exposes Tobi a lot. There are rarely matches where he can take advantage at while his lack of size makes rebounding and defense an issue.

I’d be leaning to trade Tobi as soon as we do the Ben Simmons trade, but I wont make it absolute for it depends a lot on how the team will look like and possibly look at after some tweaks with or without Ben Simmons trade.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#585 » by sixers hoops » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:53 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Mik317 wrote:Tobias is a strange ass player lol. If you didn't watch any games and just scoreboard watched it looks great/fine. You watch games and I swear I see half of the buckets he makes lol (Doubly so now since Niang and Him often blend together for my **** eyes).

This nails it. When you listen to broadcasters (both local and national) talk about Harris and they make it seem as if it's a mystery why he isn't a perennial all star and recite his numbers it's as if they're talking about a different player than you're actually watching. When I see that he scored 24 points after a game I'm lucky if I can remember a handful of them.

But if he has that kind of rep nationally and around the league right now, this is the time to strike, when the iron is as hot as it will ever get. It is borderline GM incompetence if Morey hasn't at least been quietly shopping Harris. He of all people has to know how dysfunctional this roster is in today's NBA.

Yeah. When the other team has their best defense on the floor in the last 6 or 7 mins, and the game is tight, Tobias is most often ineffective. That is when you need stars to step up. With the Sixers, it’s often the case that they don’t score at all after the 6 minute mark. The other team just needs to mob Joel. Ben and Tobias aren’t getting big buckets down the stretch.
the_process
RealGM

Post#586 » by the_process » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:28 pm

mjkvol wrote:

First, I'm not sure Tobi really has that rep or if everyone feels, um, obligated or something?, to pay him lip service.

But he needs to go ASAP. No team is a real contender with Tobias on their roster.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#587 » by Arsenal » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:43 pm

He STILL got to go!

Great guy, but we're going NOWHERE paying this dude $40M/yr.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#588 » by mjkvol » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

First, I'm not sure Tobi really has that rep or if everyone feels, um, obligated or something?, to pay him lip service.

But he needs to go ASAP. No team is a real contender with Tobias on their roster.

Maybe he doesn't have that rep inside NBA front offices, but local and national broadcasters seem to gush over him. I suspect part of it is that he's a good guy and will always give a quote, kind of the hoops version of Brandon Graham, another 'nice' player that was always hyped by the media as something he never was.
the_process
RealGM

Post#589 » by the_process » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:55 am

Shake, Danny, Tobias, and a 1st for Christian Wood and John Wall.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#590 » by phillynative » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:34 am

He has looked good defensively the last two games playing similar sized PFs
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#591 » by Sixerscan » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:36 pm

If these rule changes stay in place, Tobias might actually be a more valuable offensive player than he used to be. Other guys are dropping off because they aren't getting the calls they used to whereas Tobias could never draw fouls in the first place so he's just chugging along :lol:
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#592 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:34 pm

Tobias. For. Kyrie.

Irving/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#593 » by mjkvol » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:14 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Tobias. For. Kyrie.

Irving/Maxey/Springer
Korkmaz/Curry/Milton
Green/Thybulle/Joe
Simmons/Niang/Reed
Embiid/Drummond/Bassey

There will never be a better time than right now. Harris is playing well and people are commenting on it. Do it now before he goes into his disappearing act when the games really matter.
the_process
RealGM

Post#594 » by the_process » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:47 pm

Favors, Tobias, and Milton to DAL
Kleber and Maledon to PHI
Porzingis, Powell, and 2022 PHI 1st to OKC
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#595 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:42 pm

Tobias Harris and Danny Green for John Wall .

Love this because it gives us a veteran of who is a dog who likes to take threes these days . If it doesn't work just buy him out next year ..

Wall/ Maxey
Curry/ shake / Joe
Korkmaz/ Thybulle
Simmons/ Niang / Reed
Embiid / Drummond /
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#596 » by DCasey91 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 6:38 am

Kyrie would be filth if we got him for Harris, Nets kind of need a frontcourt anyway:).

Also Kyrie has a lower FT fate then some other guards around. I think he would be unbelievable in Fiba settings.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#597 » by Tomjas » Mon Nov 1, 2021 7:03 am

DCasey91 wrote:Kyrie would be filth if we got him for Harris, Nets kind of need a frontcourt anyway:).

Also Kyrie has a lower FT fate then some other guards around. I think he would be unbelievable in Fiba settings.

Let’s say we traded Tobias for Kyrie and he went full flat earth & retired

What does that do to our cap going forward?
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#598 » by Foshan » Mon Nov 1, 2021 8:28 am

I’m not sure if I should laugh or cry at that possibility
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#599 » by DCasey91 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 8:31 am

Tomjas wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Kyrie would be filth if we got him for Harris, Nets kind of need a frontcourt anyway:).

If he retires then we get our cap space back don’t we? Win/win
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#600 » by Tomjas » Mon Nov 1, 2021 8:47 am

DCasey91 wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

If he retires then we get our cap space back don’t we? Win/win

No idea

Return to Philadelphia 76ers