Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#261 » by retrobro90 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:13 am

getrichordie wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
1bigfan13 wrote:
Hopefully I'm proven wrong over time but I just don't see the flash in Poku that Thunder fans claim to see.

I just don't see anything special yet. Obviously he's still young and has plenty of room to grow, so I'm not completely sour on him. But a big part of me still wishes Presti would have used last year's 1st round pick on Desmond Bane. He was one of the top 3 guys who I wanted in that draft class.

Fast forward to the 2021-2022 season.....Bane is efficiently dropping 19 ppg while shooting 48% FG | 41% 3PT | 88% FT%.

We've badly needed shooters for over 4 years now but for whatever reason Presti passes on this guy to roll the dice on a long shot project (Poku).

With the number of picks we do have I hope eventually we do pick more ready players rather than keep going for younger players who just need to develop shooting but never really does .

Probably as soon as next two draft.

I don't think we need to commit to taking a more ready, or older, player. We should take whoever will compliment Giddey and SGA long-term. Whatever benefits us the best. If that's a guy who has self-creation chops but needs reps, so be it. Of course, we will weigh the likelihood that he develops versus just taking the steady 3&D player, or proven college-rim-protector.

Long story short, we will take whoever gives us the best chance at developing the brightest future.

Think I like them targeting the big fish at the top and the support fish in the middle/lower picks like what they did with this past draft. JRE is not someone who's a high upside guy and may not be someone who's a core piece during the next OKC playoff appearance but Nova guys are always ready to contribute and he isn't a super young toolsy ball of malleable raw athleticism. Still benefits everyone else on the team though by being an intelligent good vibes and good character guy.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#262 » by Devilanche » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:34 am

getrichordie wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
1bigfan13 wrote:
Hopefully I'm proven wrong over time but I just don't see the flash in Poku that Thunder fans claim to see.

I just don't see anything special yet. Obviously he's still young and has plenty of room to grow, so I'm not completely sour on him. But a big part of me still wishes Presti would have used last year's 1st round pick on Desmond Bane. He was one of the top 3 guys who I wanted in that draft class.

Fast forward to the 2021-2022 season.....Bane is efficiently dropping 19 ppg while shooting 48% FG | 41% 3PT | 88% FT%.

We've badly needed shooters for over 4 years now but for whatever reason Presti passes on this guy to roll the dice on a long shot project (Poku).

With the number of picks we do have I hope eventually we do pick more ready players rather than keep going for younger players who just need to develop shooting but never really does .

Probably as soon as next two draft.

I don't think we need to commit to taking a more ready, or older, player. We should take whoever will compliment Giddey and SGA long-term. Whatever benefits us the best. If that's a guy who has self-creation chops but needs reps, so be it. Of course, we will weigh the likelihood that he develops versus just taking the steady 3&D player, or proven college-rim-protector.

Long story short, we will take whoever gives us the best chance at developing the brightest future.

If you are getting young unicorn who may not pay off sure . Swing for the fence . But otherwise we will need to draft rotational players eventually . Some of these rotational players may even top out into decent starter.

No point to keep taking the developmental players who just never pans out

Note : I’m still taking the young upside player with a top 5 pick or so but this is more after we have drafted 1-2 more building pieces in the next 2 draft.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#263 » by bbms » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:37 pm

Thunder's biggest targets at the moment have to roll/pop threats. It was the biggest weakness before this season, now that we've added a pick and roll/pop maestro in Giddey, this is, even more, the case.

I like JRE, he has the potential to carve a long-term role with the Thunder, but add a true pick and roll threat and SGA/Giddey will be completely free on half-court sets.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#264 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 1, 2021 3:48 pm

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#265 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 1, 2021 6:28 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

He’s back! Don’t you ever leave me again, you!

Also, I’d prefer those jerseys to the regs. The court, too. It’s like the anti-boise state.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 86

Post#266 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Mon Nov 1, 2021 8:54 pm

****....without Lu Dort this night in LA. Would have loved to see him playing defense on PG13 or either Reggie Jackson.
bbms
Analyst

Post#267 » by bbms » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:18 pm

First set of RAPTOR data is out:

SGA and Giddey's offensive impact is almost offset by their negative defensive impact.
Dort's defensive impact is offset by his negative offensive impact.
Pokusevski's impact is positive on defense. Better than Bazley on both sides. Poku is underplayed at this point.
Maledon not moving in the right direction should be in the G-league. Ty Jerome should be eating all his minutes at this point (he might be a trade material).
JRE looks as bad as you can get despite sexy-looking shooting splits.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#268 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 2, 2021 10:06 pm

It would be a short term fix, but taking on the money of Powell might be worth it to get Josh some practice with a guy that is a excellent roll man. The long term payoff of Giddey getting run with a competent roll man could be sneaky good. Then you go find that long term age fit in a year or two.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#269 » by kdthunderup » Tue Nov 2, 2021 10:44 pm

bbms wrote:First set of RAPTOR data is out:

SGA and Giddey's offensive impact is almost offset by their negative defensive impact.
Dort's defensive impact is offset by his negative offensive impact.
Pokusevski's impact is positive on defense. Better than Bazley on both sides. Poku is underplayed at this point.
Maledon not moving in the right direction should be in the G-league. Ty Jerome should be eating all his minutes at this point (he might be a trade material).
JRE looks as bad as you can get despite sexy-looking shooting splits.

Rookies are rarely net positive defenders. They defend well in isolation but struggle getting around picks and chasing smaller players. A mobile defensive big would help a lot.

Giddey leading the team already in total net positive just shows how raw our team is and how good he is.

I really just want to see us surround both Giddey and SGA with an Evan Mobley type big and wings who can shoot.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#270 » by Devilanche » Wed Nov 3, 2021 12:51 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:It would be a short term fix, but taking on the money of Powell might be worth it to get Josh some practice with a guy that is a excellent roll man. The long term payoff of Giddey getting run with a competent roll man could be sneaky good. Then you go find that long term age fit in a year or two.

I’m ok with this if the outgoing is favors . Trade board has various favors for powell swap which somehow allow Dallas to add more salary so they can improve their rotation abit .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#271 » by Devilanche » Wed Nov 3, 2021 12:52 am

Is Bazley vs Poku shaping up to be something like Jeff Green vs Ibaka ?

The better fit route to more minutes being blocked by someone who was drafted earlier.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#272 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:11 pm

Devilanche wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:It would be a short term fix, but taking on the money of Powell might be worth it to get Josh some practice with a guy that is a excellent roll man. The long term payoff of Giddey getting run with a competent roll man could be sneaky good. Then you go find that long term age fit in a year or two.

I’m ok with this if the outgoing is favors . Trade board has various favors for powell swap which somehow allow Dallas to add more salary so they can improve their rotation abit .

I think it would have to be Favors to Team X with a more fit needed player going to DAL. I dont think they would want Favors right now with all their other mediocre big men.

I like something like:

OKC Trades - Derrick Favors, Gabriel Deck, 2023 SRP DAL or MIA
OKC Receives - Dwight Powell

HOU Trades - Eric Gordon, Danuel House
HOU Receives - Derrick Favors, Gabriel Deck, Trey Burke, Cash, 2023 SRP DAL or MIA

DAL Trades - Dwight Powell, Trey Burke, Cash
DAL Receives - Eric Gordon, Danuel House

OKC moves on from Deck and upgrades from Favors to Powell using a SRP (The upgrade being that Powell will help Josh build his PNR skills until a long term roll man is found). Cleared up roster spot is a small bonus as well.

HOU saves on Eric's last year and gets a SRP and cash to take on 3 salary ballast guys. Opens room for the youngsters.

DAL gets a potential dynamic scorer and a 3/D guy using spare parts and money.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#273 » by cjmcallist » Thu Nov 4, 2021 2:07 pm

Calling it now - that LAC pick will be in the lottery this year. Top 12.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#274 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 4, 2021 9:46 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Calling it now - that LAC pick will be in the lottery this year. Top 12.

Thats optimistic, but there is a chance. I think they are a bubble team ATM.

Chet 1 and Mathurin w/ the LAC pick (If as high as you hope)

G - SGA
G - Mathurin
F - Giddey
F - Poku (Maybe)
C - Chet
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#275 » by Devilanche » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:42 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Calling it now - that LAC pick will be in the lottery this year. Top 12.

Thats optimistic, but there is a chance. I think they are a bubble team ATM.

Chet 1 and Mathurin w/ the LAC pick (If as high as you hope)

G - SGA
G - Mathurin
F - Giddey
F - Poku (Maybe)
C - Chet

Would rather draft a forward . Giddey can play as pg/sg with SGA
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#276 » by retrobro90 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:37 am

I know we're 2-6 right now and only beaten one team but before we draft anyone this next season with a presumed top ~7ish pick I'd sooner turn over every stone that would allow for an immediate upgrade. Shai is very very good. Giddey looks like he's going to have the floor of a high end starter/borderline all star. Obviously depends on what pick and for what player but as of today I'd gladly include a top 3 in a trade for KAT or Jaylen Brown. Would do anything lower for someone like Deandre Hunter if Atlanta needs some relief from their future cap.

I'm not really feeling being a laughing stock this year. Especially if the only real difference is like 4% on whether we land in the top 4.
bbms
Analyst

Post#277 » by bbms » Fri Nov 5, 2021 11:11 am

retrobro90 wrote:I know we're 2-6 right now and only beaten one team but before we draft anyone this next season with a presumed top ~7ish pick I'd sooner turn over every stone that would allow for an immediate upgrade. Shai is very very good. Giddey looks like he's going to have the floor of a high end starter/borderline all star. Obviously depends on what pick and for what player but as of today I'd gladly include a top 3 in a trade for KAT or Jaylen Brown. Would do anything lower for someone like Deandre Hunter if Atlanta needs some relief from their future cap.

I'm not really feeling being a laughing stock this year. Especially if the only real difference is like 4% on whether we land in the top 4.

That's reasonable. This team can improve as the season goes on, even if the Thunder is destined for a major surge, I wouldn't touch KAT at all.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#278 » by slick_watts » Fri Nov 5, 2021 12:08 pm

i have giddey's floor as an elfrid payton type. he needs to show he can get quality shots off inside the arc. granted, his skillset is handicapped by our team being the worst team in the league in transition.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#279 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:38 pm

retrobro90 wrote:I know we're 2-6 right now and only beaten one team but before we draft anyone this next season with a presumed top ~7ish pick I'd sooner turn over every stone that would allow for an immediate upgrade. Shai is very very good. Giddey looks like he's going to have the floor of a high end starter/borderline all star. Obviously depends on what pick and for what player but as of today I'd gladly include a top 3 in a trade for KAT or Jaylen Brown. Would do anything lower for someone like Deandre Hunter if Atlanta needs some relief from their future cap.

I think ATL is going to hold tight to Hunter since they have deep playoff aspirations, but I do wonder if Reddish could be had. OKC has the assets to get him, ATL has a crowded roster of youngsters and likely isnt going to pay him and Hunter after paying Huerter.

He is raw, but he has shown great flashes on both sides of the ball and is only 22. He could easily be the middle piece in a long term G-G-F starting unit of SGA / Reddish / Giddey.

Another thought would be to see if IND is willing to take a picks package for Turner. Something like Favors, 2022 LAC FRP, 2023 DEN FRP, 2024 OKC SRP for Turner. OKC has the picks to sell, and while not the ideal age Turner is young enough and is a great fit at C.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Post#280 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:44 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think ATL is going to hold tight to Hunter since they have deep playoff aspirations, but I do wonder if Reddish could be had. OKC has the assets to get him, ATL has a crowded roster of youngsters and likely isnt going to pay him and Hunter after paying Huerter.

He is raw, but he has shown great flashes on both sides of the ball and is only 22. He could easily be the middle piece in a long term G-G-F starting unit of SGA / Reddish / Giddey.

Another thought would be to see if IND is willing to take a picks package for Turner. Something like Favors, 2022 LAC FRP, 2023 DEN FRP, 2024 OKC SRP for Turner. OKC has the picks to sell, and while not the ideal age Turner is young enough and is a great fit at C.

I know Turner isn't cheap but I wouldn't give up the LAC pick for him. Well maybe that pick won't be that good at the deadline or in the offseason so who knows.

Still not sure I'm willing to give up 2 FRPs for him before giving him a big contract.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder