ImageImageImageImageImage

Spencer 'Crypto' Dinwiddie Thread (He's Amazingly Sucky BTW)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Spencer 'Crypto' Dinwiddie Thread (He's Amazingly Sucky BTW) 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:06 pm

Read on Twitter
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Re: Spencer 'Crypto Coin Chaser' Dinwiddie Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by tontoz » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Almost won POG unanimously last game. Nice way to start off his Wizards career.

I like the way stays under control when he drives, a welcome change from Russ/John.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#3 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Dinwiddie is a heck of an interesting person. Going to be fun having him around.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#4 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Nov 1, 2021 11:48 pm

In the double OT Boston game, if we have Westbrook, we lose.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#5 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:47 pm

I mean damn. This team has some significantly interesting cats working for it. Easy to cheer for this guy:

“I like things that make sense to me, to keep it as simple as possible — whether that’s food, basketball, investing, whatever it is — I like things that make sense,” Dinwiddie said last week.

“The quick and skinny of how I got into it — beyond the friends that referred me to it in 2014, and I actually got into it in 2017 — (was) just looking at money, the way it moves, the way it flows,” he continued. “I’m a man that would love to be a billionaire one day, right? Investing in a traditional fashion won’t get me there. If I get seven, even 15 percent return, and I’m fortunate enough to make, let’s call it $150 million (gross), in my NBA career, the likelihood that I get there in any reasonable time frame is very low. Because you’re not accounting for taxes, fees, agents, expenses, whatever. I’ll still probably walk away with maybe $50 million saved, $100 million saved, whatever it is, but not on that type of level. So you look at things that have an asymmetrical kind of yield curve.”

https://theathletic.com/2937683/2021/11/12/i-like-things-that-make-sense-wizards-spencer-dinwiddie-plays-the-cryptocurrency-long-game/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Brainy, and doubtless the guys around him will benefit from thinking about this sort of thing. I'd bet he'd love to be in a room with Raul Fernandez, Ted and Laurene Powell Jobs to see if he could get investors in whatever venture he picks up after (or during) his basketball career.

But damn. I mean come on.

“What we’re talking about in terms of intellectual property and monetizing themselves, we’ve all seen the shift in the internet doing the same thing,” Dinwiddie said. “Now we’re seeing the rise of the Patreons, the Reddits, the OnlyFans, Cameos, all that stuff, where people are trying to figure out, how I can get paid just to be me? Social media has started to dictate who’s famous, who’s not. The only caveat of that is, the problem with it — Drake actually has a line; he says, ‘These days, fame is disconnected from excellence.’ The problem with being famous but not having excellence attached to it is that it’s very hard to extract value at the moment.

“So you have this following, you have this influence, but you’re still broke,” he continued. “How my company was born was kind of sitting at the intersection of (being), I would say, B-List celebrity in term of fame, but excellent in terms of basketball. So it’s made me a ton of money. Fame — eh, debatable. Famous-ish. Where there are some people on Instagram with five million followers. They can walk in a room and — ahhhhh! But can’t make no money. So how can you sit at the intersection of that, understand the pain points in these industries, and solve for that?”

But Dinwiddie is smart enough to know not to proselytize crypto or Calaxy to teammates.

“He explains it every so often,” guard Aaron Holiday said during training camp, “but I’m not really into that. … I’m, for sure, asking him about it probably here shortly, so he can explain it again. But, yeah, that’s not my thing.”

Dinwiddie prefers people do their own research before coming to him, anyway.

“I never want to be the guy that said, ‘Throw a million dollars in Ethereum,’ or whatever, and it goes down, and they’re like, ‘Spencer made me broke,'” he said. “You never know what somebody’s situation is, how they’re investing, what they’re investing, all that other stuff. A lot of people want to get rich quick. If they think they can (get) a 3x (three times their investment) or a 5x or a 10x, they might put their life savings in it, and the timeframe just might be off. I could say ‘I think Ethereum is going to go to 10,000 per token in the next two months,’ but it takes four months to get there, and you only had two months of run time, now you’re screwed, and you’re looking at me like I’m crazy. And I’m like, ‘Well, it did what I said it was going to do; it’s just a little bit late.’ You never want to be in those situations, especially with people you play basketball with. So I’m just kind of like, when you’ve kind of dove in a little bit, if you really want to chop it up, like really chop it, I’m down.”

But again, Dinwiddie’s playing the long game. He knows he is speaking a language a lot of people still don’t understand. So he has the patience to wait, both for the payoff and for people catching up to him and understanding the concepts he espouses. It is, as he has explained many times, part of why he chose going to Colorado rather than Harvard, which was his second choice of school. He wanted to go to the NBA in two years; it took three. He was a first-round talent who went in the second after tearing his ACL during his junior season in 2014.

“I remember from the very beginning, I was the guy who was a little too nerdy for basketball, a little bit too basketball for nerds, didn’t really fit in,” he said. “So you end up being to yourself a little bit. Like, you’re used to not really clicking on the same wave as everybody else, so you end up just kind of end up being yourself. And you learn patience through those conversations. You can be right. There’s sometimes, now, where I’m right, and it’s not worth the headache, or somebody saying that you’re wrong. I used to, when I was younger, I used to do it for the ‘I told you so’ moments. Because I felt like it validated me in a sense. But now, some of that stuff doesn’t matter. The delayed gratification in just about everything.”
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm not really impressed with his cryptic crypto views, but I like having him on the team. I think he deserves some credit for the defensive turnaround of the team, and even though he hasn't been the scorer I expected, I trust him in crunch time - and he seems to do better when the team needs him to.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#7 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:56 pm

I'm sure Ted, Raul (whom I met a couple of times in the mid-90s), & Laurene are all smart people -- but I've got Dinwiddie a level or two or more above any of them.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:00 pm

payitforward wrote:I'm sure Ted, Raul (whom I met a couple of times in the mid-90s), & Laurene are all smart people -- but I've got Dinwiddie a level or two or more above any of them.

Sure. But they have the capital to invest. It's good to have rich associates on your team, especially ones that you're smarter than.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#9 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm not really impressed with his cryptic crypto views, but I like having him on the team. I think he deserves some credit for the defensive turnaround of the team, and even though he hasn't been the scorer I expected, I trust him in crunch time - and he seems to do better when the team needs him to.

Alright, but here at the intersection of nerds and basketball I'm saying it is easier for me to cheer for a smart savvy insightful cat than, I dunno, pick a knucklehead from the Ernie era.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:35 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'm not really impressed with his cryptic crypto views, but I like having him on the team. I think he deserves some credit for the defensive turnaround of the team, and even though he hasn't been the scorer I expected, I trust him in crunch time - and he seems to do better when the team needs him to.

Alright, but here at the intersection of nerds and basketball I'm saying it is easier for me to cheer for a smart savvy insightful cat than, I dunno, pick a knucklehead from the Ernie era.

Absolutely, and I'd love to hear more about that side of him and how he grew up - especially having a name like that - maybe there's a movie there in the future. Otoh, sometimes the knuckleheads will surprise you - i expect there's a lot more to Javale McGee than his testing of the mystical powers of cinnamon. And sometimes the deep thinkers turn out to be at the Kyrie Irving level of annoying. But yeah, he's at the other end of the likes of Andray Blatche and Nick Young - that's a very good thing.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#11 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Absolutely, and I'd love to hear more about that side of him and how he grew up - especially having a name like that - maybe there's a movie there in the future. Otoh, sometimes the knuckleheads will surprise you - i expect there's a lot more to Javale McGee than his testing of the mystical powers of cinnamon. And sometimes the deep thinkers turn out to be at the Kyrie Irving level of annoying. But yeah, he's at the other end of the likes of Andray Blatche and Nick Young - that's a very good thing.

Cinnamon Young and Epic 'Vale were fine. They had both on court and off court entertainment value. I still think JaVale won that dunk contest and his dunks will never be replicated by anyone ever.

Yeah I was thinking of guys like Bulletproof Andray Blatche who was arrested 3 times while a Wizard, later a witness to a rape in his hotel room, shot in a carjacking while out drinking at 3am the night before a game (IIRC) and was such a big fat headache that the Wiz were willing to eat $35m to dump him via the amnesty clause.

Or Javaris Crittendon, currently serving 25 years for manslaughter.

Or Glen Rice Jr. Arrested for battery twice, got both shot in the leg and subsequently arrested for reckless conduct and possession of a controlled substance.

Or you know, the forward who most recently was seen in the news acting as a linebacker to foul the Nuggets all star center. Who was prosecuted for felony assault.

Not really forward thinkers with a good sense of perspective, is all I'm saying. Contrast with:

Remember when Dinwiddie wanted to get his $34 million deal with the Nets in 2019 tokenized? The league shot that idea down. But Nets owner Joe Tsai said last month that the league is now looking into allowing fans to buy tokens of their teams, potentially raising billions of dollars in revenue. The seeming change of heart makes Dinwiddie smile.

“I wasn’t — still wouldn’t — sacrifice my entire NBA career just to prove a point,” he said. “Would I sacrifice my NBA career for an ‘I told you so’ moment? No. Could I possibly win (legally)? Possibly, depending on if I had enough money to outlast them. … History will tell who is right. Fortunately, if you look at things that have happened, for example, the NBA coming back and then partnering with Dapper Labs, and doing NBA Top Shot, I’m an investor in Dapper Labs. And I think, on that investment, I’m like at 180x – in part, because of the NBA partnering with Top Shot.

“So I’m like, ‘Yeah, y’all stopped me from doing my contract, but you’re a partner with one of my partners, and I’m doing like 180x return.’ So there’s things to be mad about, and there’s things like, ‘Thanks, boss. Appreciate it.'”
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:39 pm

I had so successfully put Critter and Rice out of my mind that I completely forgot about them. Yeah, our organization needed a complete overhaul, and the change in quality of peeps is welcome.

Now that we mentioned him, I'd like Javale to come back in some capacity - not sure what capacity that would be - but I feel bad about the bad rep he got here, and he deserves some recognition for the championships he helped other teams to. He seems like a humble guy who deserves a pat on the back and a fan base telling him - we appreciate ya, and you did good. Thank you, Javale. Yeah, maybe a Javale McGee Appreciation Day after he retires. Invite Shaq and of course - CCJ.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#13 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Currently shooting 37.7% from 3.

In the 3 games Beal missed he averaged 28 ppg
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#14 » by Kanyewest » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:54 pm

He's averaging 30.4 ppg, 8.64 apg, 7.92 rpg per 36 without Beal - even if the Pacers, Magic, and Pelicans are below average, it's still very impressive.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#15 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#16 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:25 am

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM

Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#17 » by FAH1223 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 am

Wizardspride wrote:Dinwiddie's play or lack thereof, is becoming a real issue.

He's slow, can't penetrate, finish or defend.

I wanna also add not playing well until the 4th quarter!
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#18 » by TGW » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:59 am

I simply didn't understand the justification in giving him $20M/year given his injury history. I think what we're seeing is a player that is never going to be what he was pre-injury. Still a decent player, but not a guy you pay that type of coin for.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FAH1223
RealGM

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:07 am

TGW wrote:I simply didn't understand the justification in giving him $20M/year given his injury history. I think what we're seeing is a player that is never going to be what he was pre-injury. Still a decent player, but not a guy you pay that type of coin for.

It’s actually less than that, it’s a 3 year $54M deal with incentives.

I don’t care about the contract. I care about the guy being invisible until some clutch situations.

He’s been effective when Beal has been out.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#20 » by penbeast0 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:16 am

Can't believe he's being ragged on so heavily. He's been better than expected with the highest efficiency on the team outside of our limited range dunkers (Harrell, Gafford, and Todd), has a 3/1 assist to turnover ratio and for me has been one of the bright spots on the team this year.

Yes, he defers to Beal, probably too much, and no, he's not a superstar, but we didn't sign him thinking he was. We signed him thinking he was a backup/rotation who could play at a starting spot in a position where we had no potential starter. He's seemed healthy and productive; I have no complaints about him. I save my whining for Kuzma playing the most minutes on the team, Rui not being in camp, and the officiating.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Washington Wizards