Image ImageImage Image

Dear Stacey King . . .

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#1 » by DuckIII » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:34 pm

I’m a fan of Stacey in the booth. I love his energy. I think he provides legitimate basketball insight during games. He makes me smile.

But I also think the departure of Funk and the entrance of Amin, who does nothing to rein Stacey in, has proven problematic. And I think we pretty much all agree. So let’s help him out. I will start.

Stacey: Please, for the love of God, drop the nightly Bane impression. First, it’s not a good impression at all. You sound nothing like Bane and, in a strange twist, it actually gets less accurate each new time you do it.

Second, it makes no sense in the context of a basketball game. Bane is a fictional mass murderer and sadistic terrorist. I don’t see the connection. And based on his build and respiratory issues, likely is very poor at hoops.

Third and finally, Amin can’t even muster laughter anymore when you do it. Given the source, that particular silence deafens.

When you do it, it makes me want to run away, hide, take Ambien and wake up the next day to discover it was all a horrible dream. Please just stop.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#2 » by FriedRise » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:45 pm

The Bane impression started when we played Memphis in preseason and Desmond Bane made a layup. I thought it was funny then the first time (I have a sense of humor), but now it does feel random and odd when we're not playing Memphis or when Bane isn't in the game.

Like this one:
Read on Twitter
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#3 » by Shill » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:45 pm

The Bane voice is so inane and ill-conceived that I almost like it. :lol:

It’s like watching “The Room” with a large group of people.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#4 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:45 pm

DuckIII wrote:I’m a fan of Stacey in the booth. I love his energy. I think he provides legitimate basketball insight during games. He makes me smile.

But I also think the departure of Funk and the entrance of Amin, who does nothing to rein Stacey in, has proven problematic. And I think we pretty much all agree. So let’s help him out. I will start.

Stacey: Please, for the love of God, drop the nightly Bane impression. First, it’s not a good impression at all. You sound nothing like Bane and, in a strange twist, it actually gets less accurate each new time you do it.

Second, it makes no sense in the context of a basketball game. Bane is a fictional mass murderer and sadistic terrorist. I don’t see the connection. And based on his build and respiratory issues, likely is very poor at hoops.

Third and finally, Amin can’t even muster laughter anymore when you do it. Given the source, that particular silence deafens.

When you do it, it makes me want to run away, hide, take Ambien and wake up the next day to discover it was all a horrible dream. Please just stop.

I fully expect Stacey to make an obscure, thinly veiled reference to how much he hates ducks during tonight's game.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,872

Post#5 » by Wingy » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:46 pm

That bad Nation Wide “golden pipes” and Amin’s weird side kick role in that irks me as well.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#6 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:49 pm

Wingy wrote:That bad Nation Wide “golden pipes” and Amin’s weird side kick role in that irks me as well.

Stacey and Amin are far too similar in personality. Funk was the perfect straight man for Stacey to play off of, now it's like two wanna-be comedians in the booth trying to make each other laugh. Plus I feel like Amin is a bit of a brown noser to Stacey. Has he ever disagreed with him ever?
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#7 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:50 pm

We hear so much about this Jeff Vukovich guy, let's get him in the booth for a game and see if he's really as great as they make him out to be /s
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#8 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:56 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
Wingy wrote:That bad Nation Wide “golden pipes” and Amin’s weird side kick role in that irks me as well.

Stacey and Amin are far too similar in personality. Funk was the perfect straight man for Stacey to play off of, now it's like two wanna-be comedians in the booth trying to make each other laugh. Plus I feel like Amin is a bit of a brown noser to Stacey. Has he ever disagreed with him ever?

No. The only thing Funk was 'perfect' for was retirement. There is nothing Stacey or Amin could do that would make me wish for Funk anywhere near a microphone again.

I don't think Stacey is any worse than he ever has been. A lot of his schtick in the past was directed towards making fun of Funk's stodginess - but none of it was ever really funny.

I turn the volume down and listen in silence for a few minutes when Stacey gets rolling.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,344

Post#9 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:57 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:We hear so much about this Jeff Vukovich guy, let's get him in the booth for a game and see if he's really as great as they make him out to be /s

I vote for a three-man booth of Stacey, Vook, and Howard Ankin.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#10 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:59 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:We hear so much about this Jeff Vukovich guy, let's get him in the booth for a game and see if he's really as great as they make him out to be /s

I vote for a three-man booth of Stacey, Vook, and Howard Ankin.

Bob Rohrman could be a good fill-in.
DxC17
Junior
And1: 432

Post#11 » by DxC17 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:00 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

No. The only thing Funk was 'perfect' for was retirement. There is nothing Stacey or Amin could do that would make me wish for Funk anywhere near a microphone again.

I don't think Stacey is any worse than he ever has been. A lot of his schtick in the past was directed towards making fun of Funk's stodginess - but none of it was ever really funny.

I turn the volume down and listen in silence for a few minutes when Stacey gets rolling.

:D
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#12 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:02 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

Agree to disagree. I really miss Neil's crotchety old Mr. Magoo schtick. I still hear him say "Oh my!" in my head when an opposing player casts up a bad shot which is always "way off" but when a Bulls player does it it's "just short."
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#13 » by chifan1798 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:03 pm

FriedRise wrote:The Bane impression started when we played Memphis in preseason and Desmond Bane made a layup. I thought it was funny then the first time (I have a sense of humor), but now it does feel random and odd when we're not playing Memphis or when Bane isn't in the game.

Like this one:
Read on Twitter

This was the clip I was talking about in the sixers game thread….except, I was focusing on Zach being enthusiastic about the win. Don’t know how I managed to tune out Stacey when I originally saw it. That was definitely a terrible impression
Electric Slim
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,068

Post#14 » by Electric Slim » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:07 pm

Love Stacey just absolutely loathe the Bane thing. Nails on a chalkboard.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Post#15 » by madvillian » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:17 pm

I can't stand him. He doesn't even bother to analyze anything anymore. He was tolerable back a decade ago during the Rose and Thibs era but he's become a parody of himself. He's a few years away from just having a soundboard operator call the game for him using his now long past their expiration date catch phrases.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 999

Post#16 » by MissileMike » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:22 pm

I think they're great- I love it when they get into a laughing feedback loop, ...but the bane thing is played out- was funny the first time in the right context. Not so much anymore.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#17 » by jc23 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:34 pm

his Bane impersonation is terrible.
Be curious, Not judgmental
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#18 » by jc23 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:37 pm

madvillian wrote:I can't stand him. He doesn't even bother to analyze anything anymore. He was tolerable back a decade ago during the Rose and Thibs era but he's become a parody of himself. He's a few years away from just having a soundboard operator call the game for him using his now long past their expiration date catch phrases.

i still like his energy but you are right about the catch phrases, he even brought the "does anybody know how to post videos to facebook" out THIS season which i bet some younger fans wouldnt get.
Be curious, Not judgmental
tedwilliams1999
Veteran
And1: 1,787

Post#19 » by tedwilliams1999 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:42 pm

I'm not a fan of the Bane voice, but I actually love the Amin/Stacey duo. They make me laugh several times a game, though obviously most of King's analysis is superficial at best. It seems like Amin especially does enough research on the other teams as well, and throws out various bits of twitter knowledge throughout the game.

A lot of broadcasting is subjective, and I have a feeling the two aren't going to be pleasing hardcore fans. With that said, they feed off the energy of the team, and this season in particular, I'm really enjoying watching these two get hyped up several times per game.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#20 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:44 pm

jc23 wrote:
madvillian wrote:I can't stand him. He doesn't even bother to analyze anything anymore. He was tolerable back a decade ago during the Rose and Thibs era but he's become a parody of himself. He's a few years away from just having a soundboard operator call the game for him using his now long past their expiration date catch phrases.

i still like his energy but you are right about the catch phrases, he even brought the "does anybody know how to post videos to facebook" out THIS season which i bet some younger fans wouldnt get.

The commercial that phrase is based on is like over a decade old lol

Return to Chicago Bulls