Read on Twitter
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Re: Game 10 @ Portland 10pm 

Post#2 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:27 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I still think the Pacers are better and squeak out a win tonight.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#3 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:53 am

Nice effort. Wouldn’t have expected a win without Brogdan. How often does Lillard only score 4 points? Rick stuck with the big lineup and it cost us at the end. Back to wondering which big should be traded.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:34 am

Lillard has been in a funk this season so I thought the teams were even going in. Once again defense lost this game for the Pacers. Offensively both teams were similar going on small runs. Pacers just left Covington open from 3 too many times and it burned them.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:25 pm

8305 wrote:Nice effort. Wouldn’t have expected a win without Brogdan. How often does Lillard only score 4 points? Rick stuck with the big lineup and it cost us at the end. Back to wondering which big should be traded.
I listened to 2nd half in bed on the radio. we had a 15-2 run and then allowed a 15-2 run. I didn't sense a big lineup let us down. no Brogdon. LeVert wasn't hitting. Duarte didn't get 10 for the first time. McConnell only guard who scored a lot. felt like backcourt let us down not bigs but I might've felt differently had I watched on TV.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#6 » by Tom White » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:20 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Nice effort. Wouldn’t have expected a win without Brogdan. How often does Lillard only score 4 points? Rick stuck with the big lineup and it cost us at the end. Back to wondering which big should be traded.
I listened to 2nd half in bed on the radio. we had a 15-2 run and then allowed a 15-2 run. I didn't sense a big lineup let us down. no Brogdon. LeVert wasn't hitting. Duarte didn't get 10 for the first time. McConnell only guard who scored a lot. felt like backcourt let us down not bigs but I might've felt differently had I watched on TV.

Sent from my phone.

I agree this was not the fault of the "bigs". Looking at the stats, we only had three players shoot a free throw the entire game. Guess which ones? All three of the bigs. No one else got to the line. Having the wings/guards drawing just a few fouls would have helped a bit.

I will say Sabonis is still having problems with ball handling. Maybe he is having trouble adjusting to the new Wilson ball? I don't really know.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#7 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:43 pm

If I have to pick, I'd say the guards need fixing more than the bigs, not for this game but for this team in general
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:33 pm

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

We gave up a nine point lead in the last five minutes of the game. We ran the two big line up the last three minutes. Covington hit the dagger three on a play that Sabonis didn’t contest. Covington killed us all night. I agree we need help at guard, point guard to be more precise. But, there is a reason most teams don’t run two big lineups and we knew Portland would space us out better than the Knicks did.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 6, 2021 9:15 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:We gave up a nine point lead in the last five minutes of the game. We ran the two big line up the last three minutes. Covington hit the dagger three on a play that Sabonis didn’t contest.

I have it recorded and checked. we got the nine point lead with Sabonis and Nuric resting. it was down to three when Sabonis came back in. You could say we got the lead when Portland went small. we were behind almost all of the game

Covington did make two late threes but Sabonis had been switched off him the first time. the second time a guard drove and collapsed the defense.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 9:52 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I have it recorded and checked. we got the nine point lead with Sabonis and Nuric resting. it was down to three when Sabonis came back in. You could say we got the lead when Portland went small. we were behind almost all of the game

Covington did make two late threes but Sabonis had been switched off him the first time. the second time a guard drove and collapsed the defense.

Sent from my phone.

Or you could say we built the lead when we weren’t trying to play with two bigs on the floor. And on the last three by Covington was Domas forced to sag in by another player was he just in no mans land and lacking the mobility to recover? The trouble in this game was Myles didn’t deserve to be taken out at the end and we weren’t willing to sit our all star center.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:44 pm

Covington doesn't usually shoot 50% from 3 though
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:27 am

8305 wrote:The trouble in this game was Myles didn’t deserve to be taken out at the end and we weren’t willing to sit our all star center.

which was it, Myles shouldn't have been taken out or we shouldn't have played both bigs?

weren't we behind for some 40 plus of 48 minutes? if so, I wouldn't fixate on 3 at the end.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:13 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:The trouble in this game was Myles didn’t deserve to be taken out at the end and we weren’t willing to sit our all star center.

which was it, Myles shouldn't have been taken out or we shouldn't have played both bigs?

weren't we behind for some 40 plus of 48 minutes? if so, I wouldn't fixate on 3 at the end.

Sent from my phone.

Last year when we were a bad team we couldn’t win close games, the year before (when we were the fourth seed in the East) we regularly won close games. Most NBA games are won or lost in the last three to five minutes.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:31 pm

Caitlyn has an article on indycornrows.com saying 1-3-1 zone was an issue

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#15 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Nov 7, 2021 11:32 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Or you could say we built the lead when we weren’t trying to play with two bigs on the floor. And on the last three by Covington was Domas forced to sag in by another player was he just in no mans land and lacking the mobility to recover? The trouble in this game was Myles didn’t deserve to be taken out at the end and we weren’t willing to sit our all star center.

The last Covington 3 is what I hate about NBA defense. Sabonis clearly sags off his man Covington after the Blazer player drives into the lane. There’s no reason that Sabonis should have left his man because our player was still in front of his driving man and thus it made for an easy kick out to Covington. If Sabonis wouldn’t have sagged the driving Blazer would have had to shoot a contested shot or looked for another kick out. That’s why a lot of shots are made off kick outs because players sag off their man when unnecessary. I understand sagging off your man and creating a double team works or is necessary to stop a drive or trap a player away from the bucket. However, Domas created this situation leaving Covington available.

I somewhat agree with Carlisle’s assessment that this game was lost in the first quarter. I’m more inclined to say it was lost in the first half playing from behind the whole half.

Return to Indiana Pacers