ImageImageImage

Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#381 » by TunaFish » Wed Nov 3, 2021 2:56 am

The Rebel wrote:I wonder how much the new ball is affecting MPJ? Last time they tried to change the ball shooting percentages took huge hits, and so far this season it looks like they have dropped considerably as well. Someone needs to get him in the gym and start putting up a ton of shots so he gets used to the new ball.

I saw Paul George making this complaint earlier and certainly fans are worried about Dame in Portland. Very strange set of circumstances but Curry doesn't seem to be effected, so far. My own thinking was whether the shortened training camp and preseason could be a factor. It is strange though.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#382 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:02 am

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I wonder how much the new ball is affecting MPJ? Last time they tried to change the ball shooting percentages took huge hits, and so far this season it looks like they have dropped considerably as well. Someone needs to get him in the gym and start putting up a ton of shots so he gets used to the new ball.

I saw Paul George making this complaint earlier and certainly fans are worried about Dame in Portland. Very strange set of circumstances but Curry doesn't seem to be effected, so far. My own thinking was whether the shortened training camp and preseason could be a factor. It is strange though.

Curry's percentages have dropped pretty considerably as well. If you think about it they did not announce the new ball until mid June, so not even the full offseason, preseason, and training camp to get used to the new ball after playing with the Spalding one for most of their lives. It will take some adjustment.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#383 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Nov 4, 2021 2:01 pm

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

Curry's percentages have dropped pretty considerably as well. If you think about it they did not announce the new ball until mid June, so not even the full offseason, preseason, and training camp to get used to the new ball after playing with the Spalding one for most of their lives. It will take some adjustment.

The top-10 3pt% shooters are all having career years with 8 of them shooting 50% or more.
Eric Gordon - Seth Curry - Carmelo Anthony - Tyus Jones - Patty Mills - Kemba Walker - Damion Lee - Cedi Osman - Gordon Hayward - Mike Conley

It seems the new ball fits them just fine --- great shooters may struggle for a while, but they will adjust.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#384 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:34 am

With our poor performances by both MPJ and our bench, perhaps it's time to move MPJ TO the bench (at least temporarily. He'll be going up against 2nd stringers, so his confidence should be helped, his stats should go up (to help those stats). Bones and MPJ should be able to increase the bench scoring, build some chemistry
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#385 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:35 am

With our poor performances by both MPJ and our bench, perhaps it's time to move MPJ TO the bench (at least temporarily. He'll be going up against 2nd stringers, so his confidence should be helped, his stats should go up (to help those stats). Bones and MPJ should be able to increase the bench scoring, build some chemistry

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#386 » by Coeur » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:21 am

skywalker33 wrote:With our poor performances by both MPJ and our bench, perhaps it's time to move MPJ TO the bench (at least temporarily. He'll be going up against 2nd stringers, so his confidence should be helped, his stats should go up (to help those stats). Bones and MPJ should be able to increase the bench scoring, build some chemistry

No way. Interesting thought though, and it seems most see some type of shuffle in the lineup needed. This current rotation just doesnt fit.

I want to see PJD start. Maybe at Guard.

PJ
MpJ
AG
Nnaji
Jokic
skywalker33

Post#387 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:12 am

Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:With our poor performances by both MPJ and our bench, perhaps it's time to move MPJ TO the bench (at least temporarily. He'll be going up against 2nd stringers, so his confidence should be helped, his stats should go up (to help those stats). Bones and MPJ should be able to increase the bench scoring, build some chemistry

No way. Interesting thought though, and it seems most see some type of shuffle in the lineup needed. This current rotation just doesnt fit.

I want to see PJD start. Maybe at Guard.

PJ
MpJ
AG
Nnaji
Jokic

Nnaji isn't ready to start, barely producing against 2nd unit guys. Playing MPJ at PG (?) is a sure confidence killer the way he's been shooting so far this year. (37% from the field, 22% from 3-pt) isn't going to improve, he needs to be more aggressive at the rim. And Dozier hasn't lit anything up so far either, thought he was showing out in preseason, what happened there ??

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#388 » by Richard Miller » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:34 pm

The season is long, the Nuggets were like 1-4 or something at the start of the last season and that was with Jamal. MPJ's shot will starting falling in at some point, he's better at defense and he's rebounding well so not too worried about him. As long as everybody stays healthy they will gel sooner or later.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#389 » by The Rebel » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:48 am

Outside of his 3 point shooting I think MPJ has played pretty damn well and do not think he is the problem on the roster. In fact our starters have been good, even with the lack of outside shooting this season. I think if you move MPJ to the bench and that not only hurts us defensively but puts even more pressure on Jokic which is not want anybody wants.

MPJ also isn't going to fix the bench issues. The issue is not lack of spot up shooters, it is that we have nobody outside of Bones who can break down a defender and get into the lane. There are no open shots being created.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#390 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:50 pm

The Rebel wrote:

Outside of his 3 point shooting I think MPJ has played pretty damn well and do not think he is the problem on the roster. In fact our starters have been good, even with the lack of outside shooting this season. I think if you move MPJ to the bench and that not only hurts us defensively but puts even more pressure on Jokic which is not want anybody wants.

MPJ also isn't going to fix the bench issues. The issue is not lack of spot up shooters, it is that we have nobody outside of Bones who can break down a defender and get into the lane. There are no open shots being created.

What they both said --- If you are wanting to improve the bench, move Jokic there --- oops, that's nonsense. But so is moving either Porter or Murray to the bench. They seem to fit perfectly with Jokic based on what they do. While maybe not quite obviously good with Jokic, Gordon seems like the one who does a little of everything. So there's four starters that make sense.

Barton, as has been said many times, plays a style that does not fit with Jokic very well. Give him credit, he has adjusted some, but he'd be a great bench leader with some minutes with Jokic. What we are lacking is a quicker, more agile version of Porter: 3-n-D at shooting guard. (Morris might fit, but there are better out there.)

But please, please, please keep Porter as a starter.
skywalker33

Post#391 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 6:38 pm

The Rebel wrote:

I haven't seen all the games so far but MPJ is not filling the role expected of him. His lack of scoring production is putting pressure on Joker to score, but even Jokic needs help

As for the bench, THEIR problem is lack of scoring as well, which also puts more team pressure. Facu can't score, both Greens have been limited ans Malone is just now adding mins for Bones (finally). I think putting MPJ on the bench (for a while) could/should rebuild Porter's confidence while also showing the bench the need and value of scoring. And I think MPJ needs to take it to the paint more, he's 6-10" for cryminny sakes, utilize that skillset

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#392 » by Richard Miller » Sun Nov 7, 2021 10:03 pm

skywalker33 wrote: I think putting MPJ on the bench (for a while) could/should rebuild Porter's confidence while also showing the bench the need and value of scoring. And I think MPJ needs to take it to the paint more, he's 6-10" for cryminny sakes, utilize that skillset

Well now when he is almost sure to miss some time (even if his injury is nothing to worry about I'm sure they are going to be extra careful) so we'll see how the starters work with no MPJ
Valeron
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#393 » by Valeron » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Since his latest injury an idea of trading Porter can't leave my mind. Bones keeps proving game after game that it will make a lot of sense.
There is a chance Porter will become an elite player or an all-star but in Denver's situation this is a huge risk to gamble with his max contract and see if he will be able to play at all down the line, let's say 2-3 years from now.
If I was Minnesota or most of other teams - I would gamble. If I'm Denver, I would trade him for a decent starter at small forward position. His max contract can kill potential dynasty.
Murray, Bones and Jokic - that is more than enough for us on offence. Bones fits so much better than Porter, where the former is a constant target in play-offs. Also trading Porter will provide much more flexibility as Bones will play 3 more seasons on a rookie contract.
I might exaggerate, but strongly believe Denver should avoid such risk, let Porter recover, show to the league what he can and then trade him for another forward and a pick.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#394 » by Richard Miller » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:57 pm

Valeron wrote:Murray, Bones and Jokic - that is more than enough for us on offence. Bones fits so much better than Porter, where the former is a constant target in play-offs. Also trading Porter will provide much more flexibility as Bones will play 3 more seasons on a rookie contract.
I might exaggerate, but strongly believe Denver should avoid such risk, let Porter recover, show to the league what he can and then trade him for another forward and a pick.

Bones and Porter are not competing for the same position, on the contrary, they could be a great fit, they barely ever played together. You don't trade MPJ for some ho-hum SF and a pick, it's no time for panic moves
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#395 » by Alatan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:09 pm

MPJ is the mother of all albatross'. RIP Denver cap space.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#396 » by TunaFish » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 am

Alatan wrote:MPJ is the mother of all albatross'. RIP Denver cap space.

The question is whether he plays up to his contract. This season he is on a rookie contract. Next season is where the question become important because if he does live up to this contract, look out below.
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#397 » by Manolito » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:28 am

When MPJ is averaging 25ppg come back here and read who wanted to kick him out after 9 games
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#398 » by Alatan » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:56 am

Manolito wrote:When MPJ is averaging 25ppg come back here and read who wanted to kick him out after 9 games

For the record, I wanted to kick him before the season started. It is too late now.

He is never going to average 25 ppg. We will be lucky if he plays to the end of his contract at all. Dude is a dud.
Valeron
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#399 » by Valeron » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Manolito wrote:When MPJ is averaging 25ppg come back here and read who wanted to kick him out after 9 games

Not a matter of how he played those 9 games at all. Doesn't worry whatsoever. It's a matter of him recovering for 1.5 years with the back injury and now he is out with it again. Don't see him play over 70% of games during his max contract. I hope I'm wrong, but risks are high and should not be taken by talent-loaded Nuggets.
skywalker33

Post#400 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:14 pm

Valeron wrote:Since his latest injury an idea of trading Porter can't leave my mind. Bones keeps proving game after game that it will make a lot of sense.
There is a chance Porter will become an elite player or an all-star but in Denver's situation this is a huge risk to gamble with his max contract and see if he will be able to play at all down the line, let's say 2-3 years from now.
If I was Minnesota or most of other teams - I would gamble. If I'm Denver, I would trade him for a decent starter at small forward position. His max contract can kill potential dynasty.
Murray, Bones and Jokic - that is more than enough for us on offence. Bones fits so much better than Porter, where the former is a constant target in play-offs. Also trading Porter will provide much more flexibility as Bones will play 3 more seasons on a rookie contract.

Interesting, you are willing to wait the whole year on Murray without saying this, but MPJ missing some early games and you're ready to trade him ??? Because you feel Bones MAY be able to fit that 3rd option (why not be happy with him as a super 6th man ?) when you've seen him, what, 15 total games ??? WOW. I really like what I see from Bones, think he's gonna be a special player, I do. But let's keep this team together to see what ALL the pieces look like, we may have a juggernaut/dynasty type team.

Return to Denver Nuggets