ImageImageImage

NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#41 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:47 am

For all you residents of Hot Take Hotel, Green is now averaging 14.6 PPG on 37.8% FG and 32.7% 3PT. Dangerously close to bust territory.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#42 » by bstein14 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:00 am

Manocad wrote:For all you residents of Hot Take Hotel, Green is now averaging 14.6 PPG on 37.8% FG and 32.7% 3PT. Dangerously close to bust territory.

Not bad compared to Cade's 8.7 PPG, 17.9 FG%, and 4.8% from downtown. That 4.8% from deep in actually pretty incredible. It will be interesting to see what Cade can get those numbers up to by the end of the season. Will he shoot 33% from deep on the year? Feels like he is in a big hole but in reality 3 games is such a small sample size if he plays 75+ this year.
dezzie_33
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#43 » by dezzie_33 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:20 am

Manocad wrote:For all you residents of Hot Take Hotel, Green is now averaging 14.6 PPG on 37.8% FG and 32.7% 3PT. Dangerously close to bust territory.

Saying a rookie averaging 14.6 PPG is dangerously close to bust territory is a hot take in itself.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#44 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 5, 2021 11:28 am

dezzie_33 wrote:

Saying a rookie averaging 14.6 PPG is dangerously close to bust territory is a hot take in itself.

Yeah, that's the point.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#45 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 5, 2021 11:29 am

bstein14 wrote:

Not bad compared to Cade's 8.7 PPG, 17.9 FG%, and 4.8% from downtown. That 4.8% from deep in actually pretty incredible. It will be interesting to see what Cade can get those numbers up to by the end of the season. Will he shoot 33% from deep on the year? Feels like he is in a big hole but in reality 3 games is such a small sample size if he plays 75+ this year.

Saying that Cade is "in a big hole" after 3 games makes you the Hot Take Hotel proprietor. But I'll give you credit for realizing that it's not a realistic take.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#46 » by zeebneeb » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:04 pm

Manocad wrote:
dezzie_33 wrote:

Yeah, that's the point.
They didn't see the "Bridge out ahead" signs and just throttled right thru.

:lol:
Manocad
RealGM

Post#47 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:25 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Manocad wrote:
dezzie_33 wrote:

Yeah, that's the point.

And in most cases they're the ones who knocked the bridge out. I just say "You know, that bridge isn't really out" and watch them fly on by.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#48 » by Billl » Fri Nov 5, 2021 6:13 pm

Mobley is really surprising me. I thought he was going to be more of a project AND I didn't think he would get this many minutes. He's at 34 mpg. Didn't think that was going to work out with Allen and Markkanen there and love still hanging around. And he's getting touches, which I didn't think was assured given their shoot first young guards. That just seemed like a subpar situation for a young big to jump into, but they are making it work for now.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#49 » by jakebernat » Fri Nov 5, 2021 8:35 pm

Billl wrote:Mobley is really surprising me. I thought he was going to be more of a project AND I didn't think he would get this many minutes. He's at 34 mpg. Didn't think that was going to work out with Allen and Markkanen there and love still hanging around. And he's getting touches, which I didn't think was assured given their shoot first young guards. That just seemed like a subpar situation for a young big to jump into, but they are making it work for now.

that’s why you never worry about fit when drafting.
dezzie_33
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#50 » by dezzie_33 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 9:26 pm

Manocad wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Manocad wrote:Yeah, that's the point.

And in most cases they're the ones who knocked the bridge out. I just say "You know, that bridge isn't really out" and watch them fly on by.

......I'll show myself out
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#51 » by DetroitSho » Fri Nov 5, 2021 9:48 pm

I remember getting push back from posters when I spoke about people putting too much stock into a 2 week sample size and narratives the tournament provides.

I don't watch college basketball much so all I could go on was the commentary of posters here. All through December, January and February it was "oh man, Evan can do this and that, he might challenge Cade for #1, that'd be a tough choice to make between those 2".

March comes, which brings out the ballhogging guards and now people soured on him because a post entry pass throughout all of college is pretty extinct. This is still the same guy, same skillset, but all of a sudden he's 3rd at best and 4th in most people's eyes. I really couldn't understand why people changed their tune so tough.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM

Post#52 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 5, 2021 10:43 pm

dezzie_33 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:They didn't see the "Bridge out ahead" signs and just throttled right thru.

......I'll show myself out

No, stick around; it gets better. That much I can promise you.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#53 » by DET_Athletics » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:57 am

Still think Cade wins it this year and we get a top 3 draft pick. Now I go out on a limb, but I would package that pick and grant and try and trade for Mobley. I think a pick and roll of him and Cade would be insanely good for year to come. Not to mention it would free up a max contact slot for us to offer a elite SG or Pg to go next to Cade.

FA / Hayes
Cade / Frank Jackson
Bey / Josh Jackson
Stewart / Livers
Mobley / Olnyk

That roster is the best balanced roster I can think of and has one of the things we so despreatley don't have now, which is rim protection. Plus the only player in this draft that is similar to Mobley is Chet Holmgren, and I don't think his is going to be as good as Mobley, not even close.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#54 » by DET_Athletics » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:59 am

Billl wrote:Mobley is really surprising me. I thought he was going to be more of a project AND I didn't think he would get this many minutes. He's at 34 mpg. Didn't think that was going to work out with Allen and Markkanen there and love still hanging around. And he's getting touches, which I didn't think was assured given their shoot first young guards. That just seemed like a subpar situation for a young big to jump into, but they are making it work for now.
I think the only way he is able to make it work is because is his agility and being able to move his feet.

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#55 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:09 am

DET_Athletics wrote:
I think the only way he is able to make it work is because is his agility and being able to move his feet.

Even though he is 7 ft tall, he is more similar to Durant in speed/quickness/agility/handles than he is to a typical center. He actually could play SF in most matchups. Of course that could change a bit if he adds some muscle but I was very surprised to see how good he is at handling the ball for a 7 footer he's got quit a skillset that is more polished than advertised pre-draft.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#56 » by vic » Sat Nov 6, 2021 12:58 pm

Cade & Mobley were all always 1A/1B for me.

Franz Wagner was in my top 7.... looks like I should have had Franz even higher
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#57 » by DetroitSho » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:32 pm

vic wrote:Cade & Mobley were all always 1A/1B for me.

Franz Wagner was in my top 7.... looks like I should have had Franz even higher
Franz is another guy that people let recency bias of a 2 week sample size take control of their minds on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#58 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:22 pm

There will be so many factors that will decide ROY and best in class 5 years from now. Health #1, role/opportunity, desire to improve, etc. It's all up in the air.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#59 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:21 pm

Watching the Nets game last night - Cade plays in a very relaxed way. Its hard to think of a good comparison for how slow, relaxed, methodical he plays. We'll get to see how it plays out.

If he can get a better handle, shoot like he did in college and get a bit stronger (he looks a little thin/pudgy actually) he could be a good player.

In the NBA now shooting is so important, so he needs to really get that down, especially as it seems he won't be a high flyer/really fast type athlete.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#60 » by hoophabit » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:39 pm

I think anyone can justly offer any opinion at this point. Later, it will all come clear. I'm not writing any of these three off, but Cade flashes as much as anyone. Come January it'll be hard to argue against a clear front runner. I hope the obvious conclusion is the Pistons made the right choice at #1. I've long since reconciled to being nothing special at predicting the future.

Return to Detroit Pistons