ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 8: Los Angeles Clippers @ Minnesota Timberwolves: Nov 5 5:00 PM PCT

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Game 8: Los Angeles Clippers @ Minnesota Timberwolves: Nov 5 5:00 PM PCT 

Post#21 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:47 am

clipsfever wrote:How many more games with Bled in the starting 5 over Mann or Luke?

Think placeholder. We need Mann and Luke as the core of the 2nd unit. Same goes for Viktor Hartenstein. Zu has to start. I wanted Schroder, whom we could have had for peanuts instead of Winslow. Dennis is not a perfect player either but is far more solid and intense.

And frankly, I thought at age 32 in December, Bledsoe would be a lot more the calming veteran presence than still a joker in the deck.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#22 » by TheNewEra » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:04 am

Yeah I don’t think Lue makes a switch unless more injuries happen. He’s going to hope the scoring catches up to the defense until we get more bodies back. Serge and Mook should be a strong boost on that end if they can get back into shape. You want to be in good enough position that Kawhi can ease his way back in
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#23 » by KL2 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:29 am

Might be my favorite win this season.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#24 » by Clemenza » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:29 am

Bledsoe will be in the lineup for a while as Lue said he guards the opposing team's number one guy which mean PG doesn't have to and he has more energy to do his thing and not tire out. Good win tonight and we're back to .500 finally. I see that vaulted and highly touted leadership and toughness from Pat Bev couldn't will them to at least one win against us on their home floor when we're missing Kawhi, Morris, Serge, and numerous subs. Our defense is starting to become special. Would like to see Boston or Scrubb added tot the second unit as we need more shooters in the mix. But I trust Lue
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,171

Post#25 » by og15 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:41 am

Clemenza wrote:Bledsoe will be in the lineup for a while as Lue said he guards the opposing team's number one guy which mean PG doesn't have to and he has more energy to do his thing and not tire out. Good win tonight and we're back to .500 finally. I see that vaulted and highly touted leadership and toughness from Pat Bev couldn't will them to at least one win against us on their home floor when we're missing Kawhi, Morris, Serge, and numerous subs. Our defense is starting to become special. Would like to see Boston or Scrubb added tot the second unit as we need more shooters in the mix. But I trust Lue

Good point. Bledsoe's value is less in what he is producing statistically on the court and more from what he allows for others. Bledsoe is a fairly versatile defender for someone his height due to good bulk and long wingspan. Bledsoe balances out Reggie defensively. Luke and Reggie starting together gives too much fodder for opposing defenses to target.

Mann could be an option for sure, but they might like Bledsoe on smaller guards better than Mann. We'll see how things continue to unfold.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#26 » by Kelphus » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:16 am

Lots to love about this win.

Anytime you hold the other team to nine field goals in an entire half you darn well better win!

Can’t help noting that Pat Beverley fouled out with substantial time left. Somethings never change. Not our problem anymore.

Bledsoe shooting truly awful.
Zubac had a wonderful performance that the stat line does not fully reflect.

All this without two of our starters
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#27 » by TheNewEra » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:36 am

Need to stay focused for the Hornets and don’t let LaMelo get hot
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#28 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:56 am

Good Zubac game is a huge diference maker. We need more games like this from him.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#29 » by clipsfever » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:23 pm

Am enjoying Zu-enstein.

Regardless of who starts, maybe the upside when either Mook or Ibaka are healthy is to stagger Reggie/Bled at the 1, take Justise out of the rotation if need be, and get Mook/Ibaka their minutes as the reserve 4 (IE not at the expense of Zu-Enstein)
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#30 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:29 pm

og15 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Bledsoe will be in the lineup for a while as Lue said he guards the opposing team's number one guy which mean PG doesn't have to and he has more energy to do his thing and not tire out. Good win tonight and we're back to .500 finally. I see that vaulted and highly touted leadership and toughness from Pat Bev couldn't will them to at least one win against us on their home floor when we're missing Kawhi, Morris, Serge, and numerous subs. Our defense is starting to become special. Would like to see Boston or Scrubb added tot the second unit as we need more shooters in the mix. But I trust Lue

Good point. Bledsoe's value is less in what he is producing statistically on the court and more from what he allows for others. Bledsoe is a fairly versatile defender for someone his height due to good bulk and long wingspan. Bledsoe balances out Reggie defensively. Luke and Reggie starting together gives too much fodder for opposing defenses to target.

Mann could be an option for sure, but they might like Bledsoe on smaller guards better than Mann. We'll see how things continue to unfold.

FWIW, Bledsoe is 8th on the team in plus/minus per 100 at minus-7.7. Zu is minus-8.2 and Winslow brings up the rear at minus-10.7. Everyone else is plus+4.0 or above.

This agrees with my eye test, sorry. They are getting minutes because we have no alternatives. :-?

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per100Possessions&CF=GP*G*2:PLAYER_NAME*E*&TeamID=1610612746
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,171

Post#31 » by og15 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:46 am

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:

FWIW, Bledsoe is 8th on the team in plus/minus per 100 at minus-7.7. Zu is minus-8.2 and Winslow brings up the rear at minus-10.7. Everyone else is plus+4.0 or above.

This agrees with my eye test, sorry. They are getting minutes because we have no alternatives. :-?

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=-1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Per100Possessions&CF=GP*G*2:PLAYER_NAME*E*&TeamID=1610612746

Solid point. Bledsoe has been poor overall, the coaching staff is also likely trying to give it time to see if he can pick it up, since our sample size is still not that big yet, though decent for early season. There are options though, they could start Mann and/or Hartenstein, though I think they like the Luke/Hartenstein connection so far.

They technically could go with a starting lineup of: Jackson / Mann / George / Batum / Hartenstein

Then go with a bench of Bledsoe / Kennard / Zubac as the main guys staggered with whichever starters or other bench guys they want to mix in. It could be better, it could be worse, I have no clue. I think if things maintain, there will likely be some adjustment made.

Bledsoe has relied on his athleticism a lot, at 32 years old, it might just be that with that waning, he can't be as effective (he's still athletic though). He has not been able to get his shot to the next level, and he's not a dynamic or great passer, though a solid one. If he was hitting his career 34% 3PT mark, it would make things a bit better, but at a laughable 11% so far, it's tough.

Game 1: 22 pts / 62.5% FG / 25.0% 3PT
Games 2-8: 6.9 ppg / 24.6% FG / 8.7% 3PT

We've seen guys start off shooting terribly and bounce back, the question though is what will Bledsoe bounce back to?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:26 am

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:Good point. Bledsoe's value is less in what he is producing statistically on the court and more from what he allows for others. Bledsoe is a fairly versatile defender for someone his height due to good bulk and long wingspan. Bledsoe balances out Reggie defensively. Luke and Reggie starting together gives too much fodder for opposing defenses to target.

Solid point. Bledsoe has been poor overall, the coaching staff is also likely trying to give it time to see if he can pick it up, since our sample size is still not that big yet, though decent for early season. There are options though, they could start Mann and/or Hartenstein, though I think they like the Luke/Hartenstein connection so far.

They technically could go with a starting lineup of: Jackson / Mann / George / Batum / Hartenstein

Then go with a bench of Bledsoe / Kennard / Zubac as the main guys staggered with whichever starters or other bench guys they want to mix in. It could be better, it could be worse, I have no clue. I think if things maintain, there will likely be some adjustment made.

Bledsoe has relied on his athleticism a lot, at 32 years old, it might just be that with that waning, he can't be as effective (he's still athletic though). He has not been able to get his shot to the next level, and he's not a dynamic or great passer, though a solid one. If he was hitting his career 34% 3PT mark, it would make things a bit better, but at a laughable 11% so far, it's tough.

Game 1: 22 pts / 62.5% FG / 25.0% 3PT
Games 2-8: 6.9 ppg / 24.6% FG / 8.7% 3PT

We've seen guys start off shooting terribly and bounce back, the question though is what will Bledsoe bounce back to?

Yah. Coach is doing best he can. With no Senior or Ibaka we're missing ~48 primetime minutes and we have to get them SOMEWHERE. It's good Zu had a good game at last [Hartenstein BTW is a team-best plus+17.2 per 100] but you have to say we're winning DESPITE Bledsoe. Even if [in the finest Doc Rivers BS style, lol] Ty is trying to put a good face on it.

The Clippers were outscored by 20 points in the 16 first-half minutes he played.

In the third quarter, just when he appeared to be the offense’s anchor, he became its engine. His outlet pass to Reggie Jackson for a layup cut the deficit to one and on the next possession, Bledsoe was on the receiving end of an outlet pass and drew two foul shots with an aggressive drive to give the Clippers (4-4) a one-point lead. On the next possession, Bledsoe intercepted a pass.

Bledsoe made only one of six shots in the third quarter but it belied the pace he pushed off of Minnesota misses.

“You saw glimpses of where we can be most effective with Bled,” George said. “Where he can get it, he can take advantage of his speed, his ability to put pressure on the team to have to run back, load up. I think ... he’s starting to find his way through that.

“But you know, again, we all love having Bled out there on the floor with us. He brings so much. I don’t care about his shooting. I don’t care if he’s struggling. He does stuff that box score doesn’t show.”

2-13 from the field, 0-4 from distance. Bled finishes at plus+2--in a TWENTY POINT WIN. This was only Bled's SECOND game all year that he finished in the plus. Justise would be the logical alternative but his plus/minus is EVEN WORSE. Coach has no choice but to play him.

Yet the eye and statistical tests also have laid bare Bledsoe’s struggles offensively. The Clippers are being outscored by 21 points per 100 possessions when he plays. His turnover ratio is the highest in six seasons and has pushed his assist-to-turnover ratio to its lowest level in four seasons. The career 33% three-point shooter was added to set up his knockdown-shooter teammates — not necessarily be one himself. Yet in 17 catch-and-shoot opportunities from three-point range, he has made three shots. He is 0 for 8 on pull-up three-pointers.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-11-06/clippers-ivica-zubac-breakout-game-eric-bledsoe-next

Return to Los Angeles Clippers