ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Giants 2021

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Re: OT: Giants 2021 

Post#201 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:39 am

Longoria is signed for at least another year I think. They can't take his salary off the books.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#202 » by sonnyhill » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 am

This past season's team surpassed all expectations, found itself an ace, Webb, and a closer, Doval.

While I do like Belt, a case could be made for LaMonte Wade and Posey to platoon the position and to bring up Bart to play catcher when Posey relieves Wade at 1st base.

The challenge, in my opinion, for the front office will be to build a stronger starting pitching staff. How the front office decides to allocate salary money as it reconstructs the staff will be interesting to watch.

Giant fans should feel confident that this franchise is on an upswing and should be competitive moving forward.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#203 » by Samurai » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:06 pm

wco81 wrote:Longoria is signed for at least another year I think. They can't take his salary off the books.

With a base salary of $19.5M for 2022, that's a huge drag on the payroll for so little production. He hit .228 with only 4 HR's in the second half of the season and my guess is that he will not magically get younger next year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#204 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Samurai wrote:
wco81 wrote:Longoria is signed for at least another year I think. They can't take his salary off the books.

With a base salary of $19.5M for 2022, that's a huge drag on the payroll for so little production. He hit .228 with only 4 HR's in the second half of the season and my guess is that he will not magically get younger next year.

Yeah I'm sure Zaidi can't wait to be rid of his salary.

However, it's not clear what kind of spending he will do.

It's not clear the prospects are ready to contribute next season so is he going to spend to try to bolster the starting rotation and get some more reliable bats?

Because everything worked right this season but I don't see another 100-win season. Maybe not even 90 wins or they barely get there.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#205 » by Samurai » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:55 pm

wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:

It's not clear the prospects are ready to contribute next season so is he going to spend to try to bolster the starting rotation and get some more reliable bats?

Because everything worked right this season but I don't see another 100-win season. Maybe not even 90 wins or they barely get there.

Yeah, everything broke right for the team this season including some anomalies that no one could have possibly foreseen (Buster posting the highest OPS of his career at age 34 other than his MVP year, Crawford having BY FAR the best offensive season of his life at age 34, Belt hitting the most HR's of his career at age 33). None of those types of anomalies, even if you change the names, are remotely likely to happen again. There is a huge area for regression for this team. But Farhan has proven enough that I will trust his judgement to use the money he will have wisely and efficiently. And agree that finding those gems for our starting rotation will be critical. Just gets so frustrating that we are competing with a Dodgers team that has the ability to print a seemingly unlimited amount of money. Maybe we can get Scherzer to fall in love with crab sandwiches?
tal57
Junior
And1: 92

Post#206 » by tal57 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 am

Samurai wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:With a base salary of $19.5M for 2022, that's a huge drag on the payroll for so little production. He hit .228 with only 4 HR's in the second half of the season and my guess is that he will not magically get younger next year.

Yeah, everything broke right for the team this season including some anomalies that no one could have possibly foreseen (Buster posting the highest OPS of his career at age 34 other than his MVP year, Crawford having BY FAR the best offensive season of his life at age 34, Belt hitting the most HR's of his career at age 33). None of those types of anomalies, even if you change the names, are remotely likely to happen again. There is a huge area for regression for this team. But Farhan has proven enough that I will trust his judgement to use the money he will have wisely and efficiently. And agree that finding those gems for our starting rotation will be critical. Just gets so frustrating that we are competing with a Dodgers team that has the ability to print a seemingly unlimited amount of money. Maybe we can get Scherzer to fall in love with crab sandwiches?

Why do so many people pouting on the Dodgers ability to print unlimited money. So do the Giants. The difference is how much of that the ownership group is willing to spend. The Giants ownership group structure is very much prohibitive to the sports franchise. Because of its unique structure, it is hugely restricted by the budged. When the teams like the Yankees, the Red Sox and the Dodgers post McCord are not (I am obviously talking about major markets).

When those teams sign players to a large contract and he fails, they eat up his cost and sigh or trade for the next one, disregarded of the cost. Remember Red Sox signing Sandoval and Henley Ramirez? They didn't work out, no problem. They were simply discarded and never heard from again.

The Giants payroll is far from small, but when up against the budget, it can't cover stars at every position, both pitchers and hitters. So once it hits the budget line, they either have to luck out on the guys coming up from the minor system or absolutely get the production from the expensive signings. If the guys in the minors not ready and the signed expensive FAs or existing contracts are not producing, there is no one coming to replace them. Case and point Cueto, who was signed at least 2 years too long. Or the signing of the Shark for 5 years, who turned out washed up and already almost at the end of his career when the Giants signed him.
wco81
RealGM

Post#207 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 pm

Braves were under .500 most of the season and without their best player.

Then got hot enough to get into the playoffs. Rosario had one of the greatest LCS in history.

That's what the Giants needed, someone to get supernova hot. Yet they won 107 games and couldn't get out of the first playoffs series.

Well at least they didn't spend $270 million in payroll. :D

And at least they won some real World Series rings this century, not some fake 60-game season WS. :lol:
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#208 » by shazam_guy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 pm

They couldn't get out of the first series in part because they were playing the team with the second best record in all baseball, and because they had the worst umpiring crew for a team whose strength was not swinging at bad pitches. And they were also without their best power hitter, Captain Brandon, who would have been really nice to have in that last one-run game, don't you think? Everything ahead looks good. I'm a happy fan.

PS I waited more than 40 years for a championship from the Giants, then they won three in five -- just like the Warriors. Patience is a virtue.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#209 » by watch1958 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:03 pm

Hey, the Dodgers will always have their green screen championship!
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
wco81
RealGM

Post#210 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:28 pm

So do Giants fans root for Dusty Baker, who’s won a lot on several teams after he left the Giants, to finally win a ring as manager, which is probably HoF worthy?

Of course that would mean rooting for the cheating Astros.

But OTOH, braves want to own the libs, doubling down on not changing the Indian name — probably the last pro sports holdout — and doing the chop.

Not only that they had that anti Vaxxer Travis Tritt perform the national anthem at game 6 of the LCS.

Tough choice but at least the Astros cheated on the Dodgers to deny them a legit WS. :D
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,082

Post#211 » by Outside » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm

wco81 wrote:So do Giants fans root for Dusty Baker, who’s won a lot on several teams after he left the Giants, to finally win a ring as manager, which is probably HoF worthy?

But OTOH, braves want to own the libs, doubling down on not changing the Indian name — probably the last pro sports holdout — and doing the chop.

Not only that they had that anti Vaxxer Travis Tritt perform the national anthem at game 6 of the LCS.

Tough choice but at least the Astros cheated on the Dodgers to deny them a legit WS. :D

Well, that is a dumpster load of baggage. I'm rooting against the Astros which means I'm rooting for the Braves. It's a travesty that the Astros didn't have to pay any sort of price for the worst cheating scandal in MLB since the Black Sox.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#212 » by Samurai » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:04 pm

wco81 wrote:So do Giants fans root for Dusty Baker, who’s won a lot on several teams after he left the Giants, to finally win a ring as manager, which is probably HoF worthy?

I don't care one iota about politics when it comes to sports; those are two very distinct things to me. As a result, while I don't have a dog in this race, I can't root for the Astros because of the cheating. Unlike politics, their cheating had a direct bearing on and connection with the sport itself. So I can't root for cheaters. But when I climb off my moral soapbox, I must admit that I did not shed a single tear that the "victim" of the cheating was the Dodgers! If it were the Giants, I'd be livid. With the Dodgers, it was more like 'oh well, poop happens!'.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#213 » by sonnyhill » Wed Nov 3, 2021 9:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Big announcement.

Is this now Joey Bart's time to step-up and live-up to his hype?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#214 » by HiRez » Wed Nov 3, 2021 9:50 pm

Damn, that's big. Kind of surprised after he just had one of the better years in his career.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#215 » by sonnyhill » Wed Nov 3, 2021 9:58 pm

HiRez wrote:Damn, that's big. Kind of surprised after he just had one of the better years in his career.

Could pay big dividends for the Giants front office as the Giants now have even more flexibility to reconstruct-and-strengthen its roster this off-season; there is now an open roster spot, salary off the books, and multiple options at catcher (including bringing up Joey Bart).
wco81
RealGM

Post#216 » by wco81 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 11:19 pm

I guess the $22 million team option wasn’t enough to entice him to stay.

Or maybe he wanted more money and years.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#217 » by Samurai » Wed Nov 3, 2021 11:48 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Big announcement.

Is this now Joey Bart's time to step-up and live-up to his hype?

That leaves a Giant sized hole in the lineup. Not sure if Bart is ready for a starring role as a headliner.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#218 » by shazam_guy » Sat Nov 6, 2021 9:29 pm

Don't forget that Patrick Bailey is in the system, too. He was thought of as a defense-first catcher, but after some problems with a back injury, he's starting to find his swing and hit for average or power. He's still probably a year or two away, though.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#219 » by SFrush » Sun Nov 7, 2021 6:56 am

shazam_guy wrote:Don't forget that Patrick Bailey is in the system, too. He was thought of as a defense-first catcher, but after some problems with a back injury, he's starting to find his swing and hit for average or power. He's still probably a year or two away, though.

I don't think anyone has forgot about him. He just has a long way to go. He pretty much drowned in Advanced A Ball and needed a reset in Arizona. That's somewhat disappointing.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#220 » by tarantism » Sun Nov 7, 2021 7:56 am

Is Bart ready? I would think he'd at least have to split time with somebody. Last I heard he wasn't good enough at managing the game yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off

Return to Golden State Warriors