ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Re: UCF Football: vs Memphis 

Post#1621 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:28 pm

UCF looking like Bortles era UCF.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: UCF Football: vs Tulane 

Post#1622 » by UCF » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:28 pm

Bowser’s running style changes the entire flow of the game for us.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1623 » by nymets1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:23 pm

Next home game vs Tulane can't wait to go back to yelling BOWSER assuming he's in the game and we on offense.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 458

Post#1624 » by dsg2003mach1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:22 am

Solid win for sure

How about Houston on the upset there
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1625 » by UCF » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#1626 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:31 pm

So my wife and I did a thing...

Read on Twitter
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,160

Post#1627 » by Kent » Wed Nov 3, 2021 9:25 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:So my wife and I did a thing...

Read on Twitter

We salute you!
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#1628 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:32 am

A win is a win is a win. That's about all I can say about the game tonight :lol:

UCF is probably going end up going 8-4 with a really poor football team. Credit to Gus for finding ways to win I suppose.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1629 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 7, 2021 7:20 am

Knightro wrote:A win is a win is a win. That's about all I can say about the game tonight :lol:

UCF is probably going end up going 8-4 with a really poor football team. Credit to Gus for finding ways to win I suppose.

It's worth noting that UCF's 2018 recruiting class - the class that came in during the offseason that Frost left and Heupel took over - is arguably the worst in school history.

Check this out...

The Knights brought in 25 players in 2018. Of those 25 players, only SEVEN are still on the roster and none of them are starters.

Brett Bell - 2nd string LT
Edward Collins - 2nd string RT
Landon Woodson - 2nd string DE
Jermaine McMillian - 2nd string MLB
Dyllon Lester - 2nd string SS
Derek Gainous - 2nd string FS
Ke'Von Ahmed - 4th string WR

This is a cataclysmic failure. These are the guys that should be the seniors and redshirt juniors right now and the Knights literally did not come away with a single starter from the class. When you get virtually nothing out of an entire recruiting class, that's a major hurdle to overcome.

I have been frustrated with the lack of creativity in the offense at different points this season. But I just keep reminding myself that Gus is working a true freshman QB who really doesn't fit his system and quite frankly just isn't very talented.

Plus the large number of injuries to the best offensive players on the team including Dillon Gabriel (starting QB - 6 missed games and counting), Jaylon Robinson (No. 1 WR - 6 missed games and counting), Isaiah Bowser (starting RB - 3 missed games), RJ Harvey (starting RB in preseason camp - out for season), Matt Lee (starting C - missed Louisville game).

If things are still bad when Gus begins to bring in his own guys, I'll be more worried, but he's really working with a pretty limited roster that really doesn't fit what he wants to do and he is still (thanks to a soft schedule admittedly) going to end up going 8-4.

I'm optimistic good things are ahead. Especially with how good on paper this 2022 recruiting class appears to be and how aggressive and successful Gus has already been with the transfer portal.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#1630 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:05 pm

Wow I didn't realize how bad UF and FSU have been this year....I've only been following UCF. We are the best team in the state

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1631 » by nymets1 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:31 pm

I don't think we are getting a bowl game with only 6 wins. We need 7 wins. Our resume is bad, our only good win is Boise State. Bethune Cookman is a weak a-ss terrible opponent, barely beat ECU at home, beat Memphis without their starting QB and barely beat Tulane at home. If we lost on the road to SMU that's ok but if we lose to both UCONN and USF at home, There's NO WAY we deserve a bowl game with 6 wins. Losing at home to either USF or UCONN would be VERY BAD LOSSES. It looks like 8-4 although since SMU has now lost 2 in a row, SMU is very beatable.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#1632 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:37 pm

nymets1 wrote:I don't think we are getting a bowl game with only 6 wins. We need 7 wins. Our resume is bad, our only good win is Boise State. Bethune Cookman is a weak a-ss terrible opponent, barely beat ECU at home, beat Memphis without their starting QB and barely beat Tulane at home. If we lost on the road to SMU that's ok but if we lose to both UCONN and USF at home, There's NO WAY we deserve a bowl game with 6 wins. Losing at home to either USF or UCONN would be VERY BAD LOSSES. It looks like 8-4 although since SMU has now lost 2 in a row, SMU is very beatable.
To be honest, other than the top bowl games these other bowl games are truly useless and shouldn't exist.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1633 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:01 pm

nymets1 wrote:I don't think we are getting a bowl game with only 6 wins. We need 7 wins. Our resume is bad, our only good win is Boise State. Bethune Cookman is a weak a-ss terrible opponent, barely beat ECU at home, beat Memphis without their starting QB and barely beat Tulane at home. If we lost on the road to SMU that's ok but if we lose to both UCONN and USF at home, There's NO WAY we deserve a bowl game with 6 wins. Losing at home to either USF or UCONN would be VERY BAD LOSSES. It looks like 8-4 although since SMU has now lost 2 in a row, SMU is very beatable.

UCF is going to make a bowl game even if they lose out. The math is in their favor.

There are 40 bowl games this year which means 80 teams are going to get invited. There are only 129 FBS teams period. So only 49 teams will not make a bowl game.

As it stands now, 17 teams are already eliminated from bowl eligibility (can't finish with a winning record) and another 36 have losing records. That's 53 teams who may not even make it to 6 wins. UCF already has 6. They're 100% no questions asked making a bowl even if they get blown out the last three weeks.

Beyond that, I would bet my life savings that UCF does not lose to UConn. The Huskies are 1-8 and their only win is over Yale.

The Knights will probably lose to SMU and could lose to USF, but there's no way no how they lose to UConn.

But really making a crappy bowl game and the subsequent result of that game isn't too relevant. The huge win for this coaching staff is the extra 15 practices they will be allowed to conduct in the leadup to the bowl. That's the equivalent of an entire camp. Especially valuable with a team as young as this one is.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1634 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:15 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:To be honest, other than the top bowl games these other bowl games are truly useless and shouldn't exist.

The games themselves might be useless, but the 15 practices are really quite valuable for a team that's young.

UCF is only projected to lose about 23% of it's current two-deep depth chart to graduation, so there are a lot of valuable practice reps to be had for all the returning players. The kind of non-game plan specific reps they just aren't really able to get during the season.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1635 » by UCF » Sun Nov 7, 2021 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#1636 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:59 pm

8-4 seems likely heading into a bowl game. But I wouldn't count out 9-3. SMU will be tough, but they've lost two in a row, including to Memphis who we also just beat. Our defense seems to have turned it around a bit and are playing much better. IF the offense can have a good afternoon, we'll have a chance to beat em. 9-3 with a show at 10 wins (bowl win) after so many key injuries would be quite a recovery for this squad.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football: @ SMU 

Post#1637 » by UCF » Mon Nov 8, 2021 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1638 » by UCF » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 am

Read on Twitter
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#1639 » by nymets1 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:55 am

UCF vs Robert Morris game was interesting when the crowd chanted CHEEKS of #5 on Robert Morris. Being at that game, Darius Perry is definetly my favorite player on the team followed by Darius Johnson. I'm fine with all the rotation players except Mahan. UCF needs to redo the order of the starting lineups in introductions. Darius Perry should be the last starter introduced during starting lineups. This team looks talented and deep, hopefully ready to compete with Michigan, Oklahoma and the big boys in the AAC.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#1640 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Wow UCF getting destroyed by SMU after 1 half: 38-14.....SMU 428 yards in the half.....never seen that stat line before....their QB threw the ball 39 times in the half....

Return to Orlando Magic