ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Re: Offseason Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread Take 2 

Post#341 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Nov 5, 2021 8:20 pm

cgf wrote:What kind of package nets us grant? I like him, but that lineup would still need its version of a Kawhi/Butler trade to take that final step...so could we get Grant while keeping enough ammo to eventually turn one of Grant/Julius/RJ +++ into a title winning #1?

Well with Dame, Booker or SGA things would look nice to me. Grant will soon be an odd man out in Detroit, expandable and presumably reasonable value.

Dame, RJ, Grant, Randle, Mitch is a pipe dream because they’d ask for some return obviously and we probably add Covington instead of Grant then. But…

SGA, (Seth/Hield?), Grant, Randle, Mitch or
Kemba/X, Booker, RJ, Grant, Mitch

look like solid, contending teams. Still not going to happen, I realize that.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#342 » by moocow007 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:10 am

spree2kawhi wrote:
cgf wrote:What kind of package nets us grant? I like him, but that lineup would still need its version of a Kawhi/Butler trade to take that final step...so could we get Grant while keeping enough ammo to eventually turn one of Grant/Julius/RJ +++ into a title winning #1?

Well with Dame, Booker or SGA things would look nice to me. Grant will soon be an odd man out in Detroit, expandable and presumably reasonable value.

Dame, RJ, Grant, Randle, Mitch is a pipe dream because they’d ask for some return obviously and we probably add Covington instead of Grant then. But…

I would tattoo "Dolan is Da Man" on bNo's scalp if this were to happen.
spree2kawhi
General Manager

Post#343 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:08 am

moocow007 wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:

Yes it would be too good to be true. Perfect balance. We obviously deal RJ for Dame, but maybe..

Dame, Covington, Grant, Randle, Noel looks less stupid, but still inspiring enough.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#344 » by KnixinSix » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:45 pm

RHODEY wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
What about Jerami Grant? Best player on the worst team in the league...only has 1 YR on his contract...does he fit or help the Knicks?

I’ve been saying this for three years. Insane fit next to Mitch. Can shoot, fly, defend at SF.

?
RJ
Grant
Randle
Mitch

Right a move like that would trend us back to being a defensive hustle team while still maintaining our improved offense.

This team is no longer starving for offense but could defintely benefit from a gifted 2 way player like Grant or SGA. Grant would be a tremendous fit with the current squad.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Post#345 » by cgf » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:51 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:

Yes it would be too good to be true. Perfect balance. We obviously deal RJ for Dame, but maybe..

Dame, Covington, Grant, Randle, Noel looks less stupid, but still inspiring enough.

Where most teams struggle to find big enough wing defenders to match up with the elite monsters in this league; that lineup runs into the atypical problem of its wing defenders being too big.

Grant, like Julis, is already more of a stretch 4 than a 3...though he can check bigger wings and knows how to use his size against smaller/quicker guys. But RoCo at the 2? That's just begging for dynamic petimeter guys to slice it up. Covington is an excellent help defender who has improved as a one-on-one guy, but he's not someone I want on the perimeter defending dynamic guards either.

Sometimes defending down is even trickier than defending up.

But the general roster formulation is what I'd like to see; dynamic guard (dame) + two high-end two-way forwards (Julius & Grant) + 2 supporting defenders (Mitch & RoCo). My prefered iteration aims for a younger group, though with a similar structure, but that'll also probably require more patience.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
spree2kawhi
General Manager

Post#346 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:07 pm

cgf wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Where most teams struggle to find big enough wing defenders to match up with the elite monsters in this league; that lineup runs into the atypical problem of its wing defenders being too big.

Grant, like Julis, is already more of a stretch 4 than a 3...though he can check bigger wings and knows how to use his size against smaller/quicker guys. But RoCo at the 2? That's just begging for dynamic petimeter guys to slice it up. Covington is an excellent help defender who has improved as a one-on-one guy, but he's not someone I want on the perimeter defending dynamic guards either.

But the general roster formulation is what I'd like to see; dynamic guard (dame) + two high-end two-way forwards (Julius & Grant) + 2 supporting defenders (Mitch & RoCo). My prefered iteration aims for a younger group, though with a similar structure, but that'll also probably require more patience.

Didn’t Covington start out as a SG? I think he’s ridiculously outmatched at PF.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#347 » by TBri1974 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:17 pm

I thought Covington started as a SF, don't remember him playing 2G
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#348 » by WargamesX » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:00 am

TBri1974 wrote:I thought Covington started as a SF, don't remember him playing 2G

If Convington becomes available the Knicks should trade a future first for him. Just to be a different wing look and give RJ a backup who would allow him to focus a little more on offense.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#349 » by SuperflyKnick » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:03 pm

Covington is in no form or shape a SG… He would play more of a Reggie Bullock role of 3 and D …. If we could replace say Fournier for Powell that would be ideal …..
cgf
RealGM

Post#350 » by cgf » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:24 pm

If RoCo was as smooth & quick of a stopper on the perimeter as Bullock, I would be all for him. But his best traits defensively aren't being able to chase around guys (1-3) like Reggie, they are using his length off the ball to disrupt passing lanes & help create chaos.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#351 » by KnicksGod » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:40 pm

Something like Rose/Fournier, Burks and Randle for Simmons and a pick and a player.

McBride
Simmons - Grimes
RJ
Obi
Mitch (extreme diet)
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#352 » by KnixinSix » Tue Nov 9, 2021 5:35 am

cgf wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Thats boom shaka laka roster construction right there. Some nice vet mix with some youth. Lets not forget RJ is a pretty decent defender too. McBride.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#353 » by TBri1974 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:16 am

What would be your take on a Toppin for PJ Washington trade? I think Toppin would thrive in Charlotte - and I think he is the better player - but being stuck behind Randle (and I bet he's getting frustrated), I could see Washington being a more Thibs type player. Thoughts?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#354 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:17 am

TBri1974 wrote:What would be your take on a Toppin for PJ Washington trade? I think Toppin would thrive in Charlotte - and I think he is the better player - but being stuck behind Randle (and I bet he's getting frustrated), I could see Washington being a more Thibs type player. Thoughts?

Where does PJ Washington fit in with us? I dunno. Obi gives us an X-factor; a dynamic change of pace player who's a great finisher and weak-side rim protector. Plus, he has a lot more upside compared to PJ given the improvement we've seen from Obi over the last year. I think Charlotte would have to add a lot more to the pot, don't you?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#355 » by sol537 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:17 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Something like Rose/Fournier, Burks and Randle for Simmons and a pick and a player.

McBride
Simmons - Grimes
RJ
Obi
Mitch (extreme diet)

I wouldn't rule out a Randle + Burks for Simmons deal (they toss in a pick?) where we also waive Walker (or include Walker in the deal and they throw in Curry). But we'd have to wait until Sixers realize there are no other better offers forthcoming.

Simmons + Grimes + RJ + Obi + Noel/Mitch would be fun to watch. Beastly defensive team and a fast-break killer. Probably not enough 3pt shooting until Obi develops into a 40% sniper.
cgf
RealGM

Post#356 » by cgf » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:39 pm

sol537 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Something like Rose/Fournier, Burks and Randle for Simmons and a pick and a player.

McBride
Simmons - Grimes
RJ
Obi
Mitch (extreme diet)

I wouldn't rule out a Randle + Burks for Simmons deal (they toss in a pick?) where we also waive Walker (or include Walker in the deal and they throw in Curry). But we'd have to wait until Sixers realize there are no other better offers forthcoming.

Simmons + Grimes + RJ + Obi + Noel/Mitch would be fun to watch. Beastly defensive team and a fast-break killer. Probably not enough 3pt shooting until Obi develops into a 40% sniper.

...Julius is better than Ben, even if Simmons has the cooler first name 8-)

dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#357 » by dukeknicksirish » Tue Nov 9, 2021 5:24 pm

Ayton for Mitch and Charlotte 1st?
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
cgf
RealGM

Post#358 » by cgf » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:26 pm

It's almost a shame that the bulls didn't get their s*** togeteher last year. This way Lavine can buy into the growth even when they get stomped in the playoffs, whereas if this was the second year in a row were he had to deal with DeMar disappearing and him having to carry them to get even 1 win, I think he'd be more open to move. And something like Obi + Fournier & picks for Lavine would've been beautiful...even if we couldn't bring Lonzo along with him.

Robinson
Randle
Barrett
Lavine
Ball|Rose

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#359 » by WargamesX » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:27 pm

cgf wrote:It's almost a shame that the bulls didn't get their s*** togeteher last year. This way Lavine can buy into the growth even when they get stomped in the playoffs, whereas if this was the second year in a row were he had to deal with DeMar disappearing and him having to carry them to get even 1 win, I think he'd be more open to move. And something like Obi + Fournier & picks for Lavine would've been beautiful...even if we couldn't bring Lonzo along with him.

Robinson
Randle
Barrett
Lavine
Ball|Rose

That is a legit contender team if healthy
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#360 » by spree8 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:12 am

WargamesX wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:I thought Covington started as a SF, don't remember him playing 2G

If Convington becomes available the Knicks should trade a future first for him. Just to be a different wing look and give RJ a backup who would allow him to focus a little more on offense.

Na, gotta learn from our history of trading future 1st’s for players who’re past their primes.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid

Return to New York Knicks