ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXX

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXX 

Post#601 » by Pointgod » Wed Nov 3, 2021 4:37 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Yeah SALT was a slap in the face to wealthy, well educated, urban living liberals, who are probably disproportionately represented in small donations. We donate thousands of dollars each year to various causes. So it's not surprising when we ask for SALT to be repealed there are people who will listen. I don't mind paying more taxes, but I mind my govt salary tax hike going to subsidize a tax cut for billionaires, that's bs.

The particularly insidious thing about the SALT deductions is that is was done by Republicans yet it never stuck to the Republican candidates in New Jersey or New York. You’d think people would at least put some thought into these things but of course all these are emotional reactions and not based on logic or facts.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#602 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:35 pm

closg00 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:while dems lost ground in Northern VA suburbs, it looks like the real tipping point was losing Tidewater regions like Va Beach and Chesapeake.

Totally removing all ideologies, Youngkin was by-far the batter candidate and still only got 50.7% of the vote.

Youngkin probably set the blueprint on how Republican candidates should deal with the ultimate narcissist - ignore him! https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-s-upset-because-people-are-saying-glenn-youngkin-is-more-popular-than-he-is/ar-AAQhwZ0?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,151

Post#603 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:52 pm

It's hard to compete against a party where "ARGLE BLARGLE CRT!!!" is a persuasive political argument
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#604 » by Pointgod » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:15 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:It's hard to compete against a party where "ARGLE BLARGLE CRT!!!" is a persuasive political argument

Your average Youngkin voter, probably….Republicans have weaponized stupidity.

Read on Twitter

And the thing is that Youngkin will never lose votes for not being able to ban critical race theory (because it doesn’t exist), but that’s how Republican voters are. You don’t actually have to do anything, you just rule up their emotions. Meanwhile Democratic voters will get discouraged when they don’t get everything they want right away. Can’t say I blame them though because it seems like Democrats aren’t really doing anything which isn’t true but it’s the perception.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#605 » by Pointgod » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:51 pm

closg00 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:while dems lost ground in Northern VA suburbs, it looks like the real tipping point was losing Tidewater regions like Va Beach and Chesapeake.

Totally removing all ideologies, Youngkin was by-far the batter candidate and still only got 50.7% of the vote.

Unless you can clone thousands of Obamas there will never be a perfect candidate for Democrats. The Democratic Party has to figure out how to consistently get their base voters to turnout and also super charge turnout for new or switchable voters.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,868

Post#606 » by TGW » Thu Nov 4, 2021 12:11 am

Keep running trash candidates, and watch the Democrats rack up losses. But I believe the Democrats don't mind losing to Republicans as the pro-corporate/war, republican-lite party.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#607 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Nov 4, 2021 12:44 am

or wait for the GOP to do a colossal screwup, like Trump did with COVID. Just hope your enemy's stupidity and hubris comes back to bite them on the butt, which it seems to do every ten years or so - Obama had a 60 senator lead when he came on because of W's idiotic forever war bs, that was 2008, then Trump's idiotic year long COVID blunder cost the GOP the entire govt in 2020.

I'm hoping the repeal of Roe v Wade will be another mistake although it is ten years too soon. Well, the GOP seem to be accelerating their stupidity so maybe... I dunno. I hate to get my hopes up. But 2022 would be a good year to rile up the Dems, keep the house and take the Senate. That's what I was hoping would happen in 2020 though. Gotta be realistic about what you're up against.

I wonder if the best we can hope for is to somehow preserve Democracy through another Trump presidency and then finally, by 2028 Texas will be blue and/or Trump will be dead... seems like a low probability scenario now.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#608 » by verbal8 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:01 am

Zonkerbl wrote:or wait for the GOP to do a colossal screwup, like Trump did with COVID. Just hope your enemy's stupidity and hubris comes back to bite them on the butt, which it seems to do every ten years or so - Obama had a 60 senator lead when he came on because of W's idiotic forever war bs, that was 2008, then Trump's idiotic year long COVID blunder cost the GOP the entire govt in 2020.

I'm hoping the repeal of Roe v Wade will be another mistake although it is ten years too soon. Well, the GOP seem to be accelerating their stupidity so maybe... I dunno. I hate to get my hopes up. But 2022 would be a good year to rile up the Dems, keep the house and take the Senate. That's what I was hoping would happen in 2020 though. Gotta be realistic about what you're up against.

I wonder if the best we can hope for is to somehow preserve Democracy through another Trump presidency and then finally, by 2028 Texas will be blue and/or Trump will be dead... seems like a low probability scenario now.

I think Biden should accept being a one-term President and lean into it and treat the mid-terms like his re-election. One thing this might do is sucker Trump into getting involved.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#609 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 5, 2021 6:39 pm

MITT ROMNEY IS AN IDIOT.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/please-go-on/mitt-romney-says-its-filibuster-or-bust/

If Republicans win the POTUS in 2024, and win the Senate, they are ABSOLUTELY GOING TO NUKE THE FILIBUSTER. COME ON YOU BIG DUMMY!

The only question is if Dems can nuke the filibuster two years earlier and squeeze some permanent benefits out of it, like making DC a state.

God that is the most ignorant thing I've read from an allegedly intelligent person in a long time.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#610 » by Pointgod » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:42 am

People need to get wise to the whole CRT scare. It’s just emotionally manipulative garbage from the same people who brought you the tea party. This is a completely made up scaremongering using political operatives to manipulate well meaning parents. Watch the whole video that exposes the Koch network, what they want and why they’re doing this.

Read on Twitter

Pointgod
RealGM

Post#611 » by Pointgod » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:06 am

Zonkerbl wrote:MITT ROMNEY IS AN IDIOT.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/please-go-on/mitt-romney-says-its-filibuster-or-bust/

If Republicans win the POTUS in 2024, and win the Senate, they are ABSOLUTELY GOING TO NUKE THE FILIBUSTER. COME ON YOU BIG DUMMY!

The only question is if Dems can nuke the filibuster two years earlier and squeeze some permanent benefits out of it, like making DC a state.

God that is the most ignorant thing I've read from an allegedly intelligent person in a long time.

I don’t want to hear a single right wing **** talk about the filibuster and protecting norms. Where was Mittens when McConnell nuked the filibuster for Supreme Court picks or when they rushed the confirmation of Coney Barrett during an election. Democrats should not listen to a single thing these clowns say.

They should absolutely reform the filibuster. Make 200 year old Chuck **** Grassley talking for hours if they want to block legislation.

And here’s why this discussion is so stupid, Dems should absolutely pass election laws because right now they’re screwing themselves by playing on the Republican’s terms. Virginia is living proof that making it easier to vote doesn’t favour one party over the other. Democrats should always point to this example if Republicans object and notice there was zero claims of fraud or dead people voting in Virginia.

Democrats would be absolute idiots to let the filibuster keep them from passing the policies that will get people to show up and vote for them. The discussion is beyond stupid. Not doing anything is exactly what the Republicans want because they know it will help them. They’re betting that the Democrats are too stupid to get anything done. The minute Republicans get power Mitch McConnell will pull the Arnold Swartzengger line from commando “Remember when I said Republicans wouldn’t touch the filibuster?”

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#612 » by Zonkerbl » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

All jokes aside, Ted Cruz is a terrorist sympathizer who encourages lunatic right wingers to strap on suicide vests of COVID and go out in public with the intention of murdering innocent people.

There were some tweets going around "how are we supposed to think about prominent anti vaxxer radio personalities who died of COVID" and that's the answer. They're terrorists who blew themselves up in public to kill innocent people and encouraged other people to do the same.

The Republicans' intentional use of COVID as a bioweapon is this generation's 9/11.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,600

Post#613 » by pancakes3 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 2:57 pm

TCruz is never going to be president. stop gunning. it's over. he got bodied by Trump on both his dad and his wife. there's no coming back from that. there's nothing left to be gained by staying in politics.
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#614 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 8, 2021 11:03 pm

pancakes3 wrote:TCruz is never going to be president. stop gunning. it's over. he got bodied by Trump on both his dad and his wife. there's no coming back from that. there's nothing left to be gained by staying in politics.

Trump ushered in the return of rank overt maliciousness in politics, and Cruz has been trying to embrace by out-outraging everyone, and he grew a beard for some macho cred, but he'll never escape his effete image, his ineffectual braggadocio, his widely known unpopularity even among people who should be allies and supporters (like his own family), and his well documented softness.

If Lindsey Graham ever retires, Cruz can take over as Republican Whipped.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#615 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:59 pm

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#616 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:44 pm

I hate, *hate,* HATE when non-economists talk about inflation. "High prices due to supply chain problems" is not a government monetary policy problem, it is an "events on the ground overtaking the plan of the private sector" problem. The private sector will solve this problem. The best cure for high prices is high prices.

This paragraph, for example, is the dumbest thing I've read in a while: "However, the rise in household goods is eroding wage gains each month. Households feeling the strain now could increasingly begin to believe that inflation will stick around longer and change their spending behavior, which could make inflation a self-perpetuating cycle, lasting longer."

Go wash your mouth out with soap, fear mongering lunatic. This is always true, there are always "sticky wage" effects, the current situation is no different, there is no reason to panic about it and cripple the economy by mucking around unnecessarily with interest rates.

You want to help people deal with high food prices? Give them a check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/11/10/cpi-inflation-october/
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#617 » by dobrojim » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Great ad
Watch for the disclaimers (in the video, not the age restricted thing at the beginning)

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,600

Post#618 » by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I hate, *hate,* HATE when non-economists talk about inflation. "High prices due to supply chain problems" is not a government monetary policy problem, it is an "events on the ground overtaking the plan of the private sector" problem. The private sector will solve this problem. The best cure for high prices is high prices.

This paragraph, for example, is the dumbest thing I've read in a while: "However, the rise in household goods is eroding wage gains each month. Households feeling the strain now could increasingly begin to believe that inflation will stick around longer and change their spending behavior, which could make inflation a self-perpetuating cycle, lasting longer."

Go wash your mouth out with soap, fear mongering lunatic. This is always true, there are always "sticky wage" effects, the current situation is no different, there is no reason to panic about it and cripple the economy by mucking around unnecessarily with interest rates.

good luck explaining to Joe sixpack why increases in COL is a distinct issue from inflation.

BUT, joe sixpack should be able to grasp wage stagnation, and how taxing billionaires and corporations to cut them checks isn't welfare but rather reclaiming what was/is rightfully theirs.

So yeah. give them a check.
Bullets -> Wizards
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#619 » by popper » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:28 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I hate, *hate,* HATE when non-economists talk about inflation. "High prices due to supply chain problems" is not a government monetary policy problem, it is an "events on the ground overtaking the plan of the private sector" problem. The private sector will solve this problem. The best cure for high prices is high prices.

r

What's your view on money supply growth over the last couple of years as a contributing factor to inflation?
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#620 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:12 pm

popper wrote:

r

What's your view on money supply growth over the last couple of years as a contributing factor to inflation?

Well ever since 2009 monetary policy has been very weird, leading to crazy theories like New Monetary Theory, which is actually a bunch of undergrads learning about monetary policy for the first time and getting very excited and confused.

We've had zero interest rates on t bills for more than ten years now, no discernible effect on inflation. We gave a trillion dollars to the wealthy, no effect on inflation. We gave out a trillion dollars on covid stimulus, no effect on inflation. It's weird. My unpopular theory is that the IMF's austerity policies are actually forcing poor countries to eat the consequences of wealthy countries' misbehavior. Or the rapid expansion of the Chinese economy is making room for all this excess cash. I think we'll find out soon whether something unexpected but explainable is happenign or if we'll have to significantly revise our macroeconomic theory, like we had to after stagflation forced us to think more carefully about rational expectations. Kind of exciting actually. But I'm pretty sure it's not NMT - it just doesn't make any sense.

Return to Washington Wizards