ImageImageImageImageImage

Luke Walton can he survive? How is he doing? UPDATE: Walton fired (WOJ)

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Luke Walton can he survive? How is he doing? UPDATE: Walton fired (WOJ) 

Post#1 » by blind prophet » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:53 am

Was hoping we all can share our thoughts on Coach Walton here in a single thread for the season.

Well what do you guys think?

Thread started after game 10 with the Kings being 5-5
blind prophet
RealGM

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:58 am

The Good

Well as stated earlier, the Kings are 5-5 after 10 games. I think that is a bit of an over achievement. The guys seem to be playing hard. Defense looks much improved.

The Bad

I'll start with tonight's game vs the Pacers. Why did he think Fox with 22 seconds or so left in the game should take an ISO attempt at the basket when he was been shooting poorly this season and also that game. Even if he can get to the basket Turner is a beast.

So Fox takes a contested mid range ISO.

Lastly, the inbound play at the end of the game where Tyrese shot from pretty far away with time remaining on the clock.

I question his ability to help lead the team in crunch time when it matters.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:54 pm

Id say no... But I don't think there's anything he can do to be fired at this point. It's not a matter of ability, but owners are just cheap.

Kings id say are winning more in spite of Walton than because of him. I'll give him so minor credit where some is due. There were a few games where he actually made halftime adjustments and the team came out hard in the 3rd (which has historically been a quarter we suck at).

He's a terrible 4th quarter coach, in terms of managing leads, and managing close games. We give up so many easy plays where the other team doesn't have to work hard at all.

Id say he finishes out the season, its up to the guys to overcome that. We will see if its possible.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#4 » by codydaze » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:03 pm

I don't think he's been great but he hasn't been terrible either. I didn't love the looks at the end of the Indiana game but we've played very well as a team so far this year and that's with Fox having a brutal season. I'm not going to put Fox's struggles on Luke and if he were to be playing well this team could be 7-3 at a minimum. I don't know that he's the coach to get us anywhere if we were to make the playoffs but I think he's done a decent enough job this year to be safe.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Nov 8, 2021 10:52 pm

codydaze wrote:I don't think he's been great but he hasn't been terrible either. I didn't love the looks at the end of the Indiana game but we've played very well as a team so far this year and that's with Fox having a brutal season. I'm not going to put Fox's struggles on Luke and if he were to be playing well this team could be 7-3 at a minimum. I don't know that he's the coach to get us anywhere if we were to make the playoffs but I think he's done a decent enough job this year to be safe.

Has he though? We haven't been able to really close out a game comfortably aside from Charlotte.

Seems like Christie/Mitchell effect on this team far more than Walton imo.

That may not be fair, but we've been dealing with the same inconsistencies 3 years in a row.

1. Buddy still handling the ball far too much on a team that has 3-4 very capable ball handlers. Despite that hes performing well, but he could save a few of those bone headed mistakes he makes every game.

2. Still not managing 4th quarters good at all.

3. Still go through offensive luls where the team is stagnant, leads to Fox/Barnes isos. Even more frustrating seeing it this year when Hali/Holmes pnr has been so deadly.

4. Did I mention how effective the Hali/Holmes pnr has been? Why isn't that a go to play every possession until the team stops it? Why are we running a Fox iso when hes been cold.

5. The worst coach at using his challenge. Went the first few games refusing to use it in tight situations, then blew one in the first quarter a few games later. And while the team was getting jobbed in a few of those games, hes busy with his hands on his head in disbelief. I would have got a few technicals standing up for my guys.

Like I said, I'm still seeing the same mistakes this team has made 3 years in a row. Walton has improved. He went from league worst to below average. Sure hes done enough to keep his job because we have very low standards around here and cheap ownership. I'm still not rushing to pat him on the back.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#6 » by KF10 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:12 am

Fire this dude.

Give Christie a shot at the HC role.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:00 am

KF10 wrote:Fire this dude.

I want Christie bad. Guy is loud and intense and has extremely good basketball sense.

Family member of mine thinks he's more true as a "defensive coordinator" and they are grooming Bobby.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#8 » by blind prophet » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:24 am

I wouldn't mind giving Gentry a try.

I figured he was here to replace Luke anyways.

Figure out the long term solution in the off season.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#9 » by blind prophet » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:30 am

The good news, maybe we go 1-3 or 0-4 on this trip and Luke does get shown the door.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#10 » by KF10 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:42 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

I want Christie bad. Guy is loud and intense and has extremely good basketball sense.

Family member of mine thinks he's more true as a "defensive coordinator" and they are grooming Bobby.

I've never gotten the HC vibes from Bobby. I can be wrong but I don't think he's HC worthy, imo.

I would rather have Christie have a shot at HC before Bobby.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#11 » by blind prophet » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:44 am

KF10 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

I've never gotten the HC vibes from Bobby. I can be wrong but I don't think he's HC worthy, imo.

I would rather have Christie have a shot at HC before Bobby.

Bobby just isn't the most articulate guy around, he's smart and knows basketball, but I dunno. We should roll with Gentry, give Mcnair some time to decide what to do.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#12 » by KF10 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:50 am

blind prophet wrote:Bobby just isn't the most articulate guy around, he's smart and knows basketball, but I dunno. We should roll with Gentry, give Mcnair some time to decide what to do.

Not impressed with Gentry.

He's one of those coaches that gets recycled every other year. Dude is not terrible but mediocre.

There is a possibility if Gentry performs better than expected as the interim HC, the Kings will keep him as HC and offer him a long-term contract per Kangz. Nah, F that. Give the reigns to Christie when they axe Walton.

And, I don't see it with Bobby. I can be wrong but no to him too.
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#13 » by KingFox » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:56 am

Kings will go on a 3-4 game win streak soon and calm us down a bit. Whether or not they lose the next 8 or 9 after that, i don't know. Or maybe i do :lol: :banghead:
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#14 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:52 pm

KF10 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Bobby just isn't the most articulate guy around, he's smart and knows basketball, but I dunno. We should roll with Gentry, give Mcnair some time to decide what to do.

Not impressed with Gentry.

He's one of those coaches that gets recycled every other year. Dude is not terrible but mediocre.

There is a possibility if Gentry performs better than expected as the interim HC, the Kings will keep him as HC and offer him a long-term contract per Kangz. Nah, F that. Give the reigns to Christie when they axe Walton.

And, I don't see it with Bobby. I can be wrong but no to him too.
Ya I feel the same way about gentry. Feels like Atlanta hawks with nate but on a worse scale. If gentry goes .500, vivek will offer him 5 years 40 million and then no chance we get rid of him.

I'd agree give Christie the interim job. Let's see what he has, and if we aren't impressed find a coach this off-season.

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#15 » by BoogieTime » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:55 am

He's not the problem, although he may not be the solution either
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:44 pm

How can you watch the games and come out saying Walton is not the issue? I'm confused if we are watching the same game or if you are just purposefully blinded by your hate for one person.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#17 » by jeffjtk1234 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:34 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:How can you watch the games and come out saying Walton is not the issue? I'm confused if we are watching the same game or if you are just purposefully blinded by your hate for one person.

Agreed. This team would be something like 2-10 if not for Barnes heroics. Walton is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#18 » by codydaze » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:41 pm

Amick reporting he is on the hot seat. An 0-4 road trip to teams we should have gone 4-0 against if we are a playoff caliber team should be enough cause for him to be canned.

Read on Twitter
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#19 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:00 pm

codydaze wrote:Amick reporting he is on the hot seat. An 0-4 road trip to teams we should have gone 4-0 against if we are a playoff caliber team should be enough cause for him to be canned.

Read on Twitter

Are the last 2 games not enough?

Not even competitive with the Spurs

Then blow a lead and hand the game to OKC?

Now his fate is attached to being able to beat the Pistons?

This feels like Vivek is forced to say hes on the hot seat when in reality these guys have no plans to let him go.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#20 » by KF10 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:45 pm

About time Walton's seat gets hot again. He should have never been extended or even hired in the first place but better late than never I suppose.

Return to Sacramento Kings