ImageImageImageImageImage

College/Draft thread. Knicks Currently have Picks 12 and 45

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,595

College/Draft thread. Knicks Currently have Picks 12 and 45 

Post#1 » by Capn'O » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:25 pm

the Charlotte pick

Discuss.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Re: College/Draft thread. Knicks Currently have Picks 20 and 50 

Post#2 » by DOT » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:32 pm

Capn'O wrote:At present time, the Charlotte pick will not convey. It is 12 currently and needs to be 18 or lower to convey.

Discuss.

I feel like not enough was made about how much of a low reward trade that was

At best, it'll be the 16th pick in a couple years. It'll depend obviously on who we take and how the guys we could've taken pan out, but I still don't like it.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#3 » by Capn'O » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:33 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Capn'O wrote:At present time, the Charlotte pick will not convey. It is 12 currently and needs to be 18 or lower to convey.

Discuss.

At best, it'll be the 16th pick in a couple years. It'll depend obviously on who we take and how the guys we could've taken pan out, but I still don't like it.

It was a weird trade. Of course, now we're seeing how young guys who need minutes don't see time anyway :evil:

At least Kai Jones doesn't play.
BAF Clippers

dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#4 » by dukeknicksirish » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:41 pm

Mark Williams from Duke would be a good selection here. From this exhibition highlights, he can hit an open 3 point shot / will take a mid range shot when available. Elite shot blocker as well.

Will stop us from overpaying Mitch / can use Mitch as trade bait if need be.
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#5 » by DOT » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:42 pm

Capn'O wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

Discuss.

It was a weird trade. Of course, now we're seeing how young guys who need minutes don't see time anyway :evil:

At least Kai Jones doesn't play.

Yeah, I'm under no illusions that if we hadn't traded out the guy we took wouldn't have played anyways

Plus, you look at who was taken, and they were all pretty much supposed to be projects anyways. Jalen Johnson is probably the only one who has an argument to play (in a vacuum), but he'd be stuck behind both Randle and Obi, so we wouldn't have taken him anyways

Kai Jones is really intriguing for his skillset. Kind of like a 3-D C, and if he lives up to his potential, he'd be a perfect fit on almost any team.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#6 » by WajaBawl » Mon Nov 8, 2021 7:49 pm

Here, we, go.
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#7 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Nov 8, 2021 9:40 pm

Lmao this draft sucks
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,039

Post#8 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Nov 8, 2021 9:41 pm

It'll be traded for a mid 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,658

Post#9 » by DaGawd » Mon Nov 8, 2021 10:23 pm

I rebuke this thread to damnation!
BaF
Washington Wizards
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 9, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm trying to find a hill to die on here, so I have something to complain about and bring up constantly in next year's Around the NBA topic.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#11 » by DickGrayson » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:45 pm

Lucky for us, most of the guards will be going 20-30, that's assuming if we finish around those spots.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,214

Post#12 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:59 pm

K-DOT wrote:

Discuss.

there was probably some element of panic that went into the decision. If we believe the leaks and we should since they pegged us for Obi the year before. They were very interested in trading up for Duarte. He went and I think the next rumors were they had interest in Trey Murphy or Terence Mann. They went the picks right before them.

So now my guess is the Knicks were on the clock with very little leverage to trade down. Got a pretty weak offer but in terms of using assets to trade for a future big name its like taking a car off a lot (depreciate in value). Especially for the knicks since we probably weren't going to play a rookie anyway (see Grimes and McBride). Once we made the selection there value will go down. So there theory was just not make a selection at all and use it as a future asset in a trade. They probably don't even want it to convey this year so that they can kick the asset down the road again.

The protections stink on it and was clear they didn't have a lot of leverage to make that move.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#13 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:21 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

Discuss.

there was probably some element of panic that went into the decision. If we believe the leaks and we should since they pegged us for Obi the year before. They were very interested in trading up for Duarte. He went and I think the next rumors were they had interest in Trey Murphy or Terence Mann. They went the picks right before them.

So now my guess is the Knicks were on the clock with very little leverage to trade down. Got a pretty weak offer but in terms of using assets to trade for a future big name its like taking a car off a lot (depreciate in value). Especially for the knicks since we probably weren't going to play a rookie anyway (see Grimes and McBride). Once we made the selection there value will go down. So there theory was just not make a selection at all and use it as a future asset in a trade. They probably don't even want it to convey this year so that they can kick the asset down the road again.

The protections stink on it and was clear they didn't have a lot of leverage to make that move.

That move could have been better, especially on protections, but I'd say short of the Knicks hitting a home run, where Duarte fell or they traded up, I believe the draft has to be understood in some Aller driven exact cap calculations over the next 3 years, as they punted the pick out ahead and opted for a stash player as well. Both represent assets that have X value but no cap hit.

It might not pan out, and again, I don't like the protections, but seems pretty clear that's the approach. It'll take another year, maybe two, to fully judge it.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,214

Post#14 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:25 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I feel like not enough was made about how much of a low reward trade that was

That move could have been better, especially on protections, but I'd say short of the Knicks hitting a home run, where Duarte fell or they traded up, I believe the draft has to be understood in some Aller driven exact cap calculations over the next 3 years, as they punted the pick out ahead and opted for a stash player as well. Both represent assets that have X value but no cap hit.

It might not pan out, and again, I don't like the protections, but seems pretty clear that's the approach. It'll take another year, maybe two, to fully judge it.

I don't disagree with completely moving out on the draft but an asset now should always been more highly valued than an asset down the road. So the protections are the issue in terms of that pick basically never having a chance to even him the low end of the lottery.

I'm not saying CHA would have traded with us if we demanded say top 10 protected or something like that. But to trade the current #19 pick for a pick that most likely if conveyed will be around the 19 pick as a best case scenario just isn't extracting any value.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:31 pm

Already? :D
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,226

Post#16 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:40 pm

K-DOT wrote:

Discuss.

It's a long season, and we don't know where Charlotte will end up, but I think a lot of people didn't like that trade at the time. It seemed like the Knicks lost the player they wanted, that he was drafted a spot or two before their pick (I don't remember who it was but somebody here probably does) so they made the trade in haste.

I didn't hate the swap given how quickly it was made, but a lot of people have questioned it if you look at chats and message boards and stuff.

One thing the Knicks have going for them, not so much for the 2022 draft but 2023, 2024, 2025, is a silly amount of draft picks. They have like 13-15 picks 2023-2025, honestly I'm not sure. Maybe 8 or 9 of those are 2nd rounders, but they have a lot of draft picks coming up and that means they can maybe pull off some trades.

They have some tradable contracts too in the coming years too. I don't think they're in the best shape, but they've got some stuff going for them going forward. Very different than the Knicks of old that would usually have already traded their draft pick for the coming season half the time and be burdened with bad contracts.
Go NY Go NY Go
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:57 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

Discuss.

It's a long season, and we don't know where Charlotte will end up, but I think a lot of people didn't like that trade at the time. It seemed like the Knicks lost the player they wanted, that he was drafted a spot or two before their pick (I don't remember who it was but somebody here probably does) so they made the trade in haste.

I didn't hate the swap given how quickly it was made, but a lot of people have questioned it if you look at chats and message boards and stuff.

One thing the Knicks have going for them, not so much for the 2022 draft but 2023, 2024, 2025, is a silly amount of draft picks. They have like 13-15 picks 2023-2025, honestly I'm not sure. Maybe 8 or 9 of those are 2nd rounders, but they have a lot of draft picks coming up and that means they can maybe pull off some trades.

They have some tradable contracts too in the coming years too. I don't think they're in the best shape, but they've got some stuff going for them going forward. Very different than the Knicks of old that would usually have already traded their draft pick for the coming season half the time and be burdened with bad contracts.

The Knicks can potentially have the following picks:

2022 (2 to 4 picks)
1. Own 1st
2. Own 2nd
3. Charlottes 1st (top 18 protected)
4. Charlottes 2nd (top 55 protected)

2023 (5 to 7 picks)
1. Own 1st
2. Own 2nd
3. Dallas 1st (top 10 protected)
4. Charlotte 1st (top 16 protected IF not already conveyed in 2022)
5. Detroit 2nd
6. Best 2nd from OKC, Washington, Dallas or Miami
7. Utah 2nd

2024 (4 to 6 picks)
1. Own 1st
2. Own 2nd
3. Charlotte 1st (top 14 protected IF not already conveyed in 2022 or 2023)
4. Best 2nd from Utah or Cleveland
5. Detroit 2nd
6. Miami 2nd (only if the pick is between 51 and 55)

2025 (2 to 3 picks)
1. Own 1st
2. Own 2nd
3. Charlotte 1st (top 14 protected IF not already conveyed in 2022, 2023 or 2024)

2026 (3 picks)
1. Own 1st
2. Own 2nd
3. Wolves 2nd

Now that's A LOT of picks on first glance but 2 things to consider about them:

1. The extra picks don't project to be great quality (due to protections on them)
2. The chances of the Knicks using them all is about as likely as me and Wingo dating the same supermodel at the same time.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,948

Post#18 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:08 pm

NIKOLA JOVIC FOLKS NIKOLA JOVIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:33 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:NIKOLA JOVIC FOLKS NIKOLA JOVIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
BAF Clippers

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks