ImageImageImageImageImage

Chaundee Brown

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Chaundee Brown 

Post#1 » by Eric Bieniemy » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:57 pm

The Lakers should consider adding Brown as a two-way.

I think having Jay Huff, a defensive big who can shoot, is important, but I think having a junkyard dog type of 3&D wing is more important.

Even with all the injuries, somebody on the roster has to put pressure on Bazemore to perform.

Release Huff, sign Brown, and put him in the starting lineup until Bazemore wakes all the way up.

At the cost of Huff, there's a chance that Brown sparks this team defensively and gives them the emotional edge they are lacking:

PG - Westbrook - Rondo
SG - Bradley - Monk - Ellington
C - Davis - Howard - Jordan
PF - Anthony - Doumbouya
SF - Brown - Reaves - Bazemore
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,094

Re: Chaundee Brown 

Post#2 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:59 pm

No because all we are waiting for are our injured players to come back and we'll be fine. :)

Can't wait to see what THT and Ariza can do with this team, might take time to gell, but can't wait :)
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by Eric Bieniemy » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:55 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:No because all we are waiting for are our injured players to come back and we'll be fine. :)

Can't wait to see what THT and Ariza can do with this team, might take time to gell, but can't wait :)

That sounds good in theory, but Tucker is a wing with some shooting issues and last I checked Ariza has problems guarding wings. Ariza guards centers better than SFs at this point of his career.

I like both guys as players, but Tucker is a bad fit with an already ill-fitted Big Three, and Ariza is an off/def platoon PF with Anthony.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#4 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:50 pm

Eric Bieniemy wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:No because all we are waiting for are our injured players to come back and we'll be fine. :)

That sounds good in theory, but Tucker is a wing with some shooting issues and last I checked Ariza has problems guarding wings. Ariza guards centers better than SFs at this point of his career.

I like both guys as players, but Tucker is a bad fit with an already ill-fitted Big Three, and Ariza is an off/def platoon PF with Anthony.

Brown averaged 35% from 3 in his 4 years in college. Yes, he shot 41% his last year but at low volume of 3 attempts/game at a shorter 3pt distance.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by Eric Bieniemy » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:17 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Eric Bieniemy wrote:

Brown averaged 35% from 3 in his 4 years in college. Yes, he shot 41% his last year but at low volume of 3 attempts/game at a shorter 3pt distance.

Fair point.

Full disclosure, I'm pretty sure Tucker is a better shooter than Brown.

But it's about their offensive roles. Tucker is a dynamic penetrator who needs the ball ro be most effective. He can change, but he's not really wired to be an AC Green/PJ Tucker-type roleplayer. He's shake and bake, more of a Tyreke Evans higher usage-type.

Brown will dribble 8 times in 22 minutes. He has no desire to hold the ball and create. This makes him a better fit even if their defense is equal but Tucker's jumper is better.

Lastly, because Brown is hardwired to be a roleplayer, he can be play less minutes yet be more effective in his role -- cause more deflections, take more charges, dive for more balls, grab more offensive rebounds, be more physical.

Certain guys are programmmed to leave their mark without holding the ball. Brown is one of them. Larry Nance Jr. is another. Tucker not so much. He is great defensive potential, but most of his potential is offensive as a ballhandler.

I look at Brown as an under 20 minute starter leaving his mark in a spiritual and emotional manner through hustle.

Tucker in the same amount of time will focus on bei g offensively assertive because that's his game.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#6 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:34 am

Eric Bieniemy wrote:

How do you know THT is a bad fit? we ain't even seen them all play together :noway:
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:26 pm

FWIW, eye test says that THT is very good without the ball, doesn’t need it in his hands. However, he’s good at handling and going one-on-one on the weak side, so we might want him to handle it a lot when he comes back.

Adding a junkyard dog SF? Sign me up.

But I think Westbrook is the guard that needs to be traded, not THT.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:57 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:
Eric Bieniemy wrote:

How do you know THT is a bad fit? we ain't even seen them all play together :noway:

The same way I know and knew Westbrook and James would be a trainwreck.

Players need to compliment one another.

With three stars, the other two guys need to be shooters or elite hustle guys with defensive pedigree.

That's not Tucker. He's an offensive player without a consistent jumper. He has defensive potential, but right now he's a dynamic on ball scorer, and that's not a good fit next to Westbrook, James, and Davis.

If you can't see that, even though they've yet to play together, there's probably a whole lot more you're missing.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:05 pm

stan francisco wrote:But I think Westbrook is the guard that needs to be traded, not THT.

No doubt.

Unfortunately, Westbrook is here, and he won't leave without a cost.

Bench him or sit him in the fourth and you may have a locker room issue with a disgruntled star.

Trade him and you will have to overpay and/or take on a ton of salary.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 pm

Role players become role players when they understand their limitations. Oftentimes they are limited in skill level and those physical limitations actually make them better suited to filling their roles more effectively.

Brown has obvious limitations, dribbling being one ... and that weakness, better yet, his awareness of that weakness makes it easier for him to accept a role for the team that helps his team more.

Tucker doesn't have those limitations. He's a baby Randle. With a jumpshot, he'd be a twenty point scorer if given the opportunity.

Tucker will never settle in to a Pope/Caruso role because he's just too good.

Unfortunately, his "good" won't mesh with the big three's "good" ... whereas a guy with far more limitations -- like Pope, Caruso, and, yes, Chaundee Brown -- tend to make better fits with stars.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:34 pm

THT isn't really a true PG or SG, he's basically a poor man's Westbrook, who plays solid D... Which might actually make him a rich man's Westbrook at this point... And he's very young...
He can play D, attack the rim and thread traffic... he's a decent passer and makes solid decisions... His shot from outside was just starting to fall, and he's fearless in the moment.
I'm really curious how he plays this season... I doubt the Lakers have the guts to bench Westbrook for THT, but I would love to see that happen. I would love to have a team that plays solid D and I think that starts with a wingish player... And I would love a team with the luxury of bringing Westbrook off the bench.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Kilroy wrote:THT isn't really a true PG or SG, he's basically a poor man's Westbrook, who plays solid D... Which might actually make him a rich man's Westbrook at this point... And he's very young...
He can play D, attack the rim and thread traffic... he's a decent passer and makes solid decisions... His shot from outside was just starting to fall, and he's fearless in the moment.
I'm really curious how he plays this season... I doubt the Lakers have the guts to bench Westbrook for THT, but I would love to see that happen. I would love to have a team that plays solid D and I think that starts with a wingish player... And I would love a team with the luxury of bringing Westbrook off the bench.

Me too.

Could you imagine if Westbrook played for Pat Riley and committed five turnovers in one quarter?

Good coaches don't give a damn about your feelings. They care about outcomes.

The irony here is that if Vogel benched Westbrook in favor of Tucker, Westbrook would actually play better and smarter basketball.

Go figure. It's amazing what bravery confidence can produce.

I like Vogel, but I wish he were brave enough to be the first coach to stand up to Westbrook.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#13 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:44 pm

I’ve never observed THT being a total ball hog. It seems that LBJ and AD don’t mind him handling a bit. I sure don’t. He’s alright off the ball, too.

Westbrook is a ball hog. Off the ball seemingly short-circuits Westbrook.

Brown sounds like my kind of guy. Never seen him play. I’ve watched THT against NBA opponents and he’s my kind of guy, too.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#14 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:25 pm

After seeing what Bazemore does I wouldn't mind a change here, If we can get rid of Bazemore

Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am

Lakers officially sign Brown to a two-way.

Doumbouya waived.

Should've waived Huff.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Eric Bieniemy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:52 pm

Tucker struggling right now as a "role-player". It isn't always cut-out for guys to play as off-ball role-players.

Some are better at it than others. Tucker is clearly the better player, but Brown may just be the better role-player.

Big difference.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers