ImageImageImage

What do you see as the value for Jerami Grant?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

What do you see as the value for Jerami Grant? 

Post#1 » by TBri1974 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:13 am

I quite like Grant, but I don't see him as the 1st or 2nd option on a championship team. With the Pistons in the rebuilding mode (for transparency, I am a Knicks fan), I am curious whether you want to see Grant as part of your long term plans or whether you would seek to trade him for young assets/picks while his value is high. I would assume the latter, but don't know how Pistons fans feel.

If your team did trade him, what do you see as his value? 2 decent young assets/picks? More than that?

Thanks,
Bri
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: What do you see as the value for Jerami Grant? 

Post#2 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:53 am

TBri1974 wrote:I quite like Grant, but I don't see him as the 1st or 2nd option on a championship team. With the Pistons in the rebuilding mode (for transparency, I am a Knicks fan), I am curious whether you want to see Grant as part of your long term plans or whether you would seek to trade him for young assets/picks while his value is high. I would assume the latter, but don't know how Pistons fans feel.

If your team did trade him, what do you see as his value? 2 decent young assets/picks? More than that?

Thanks,
Bri

The Knicks’ next three first round picks.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#3 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:21 am

A decent pick or a young guy with upside.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#4 » by bstein14 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:30 pm

We reportedly turned down a trade with Boston last season where they offered "multiple first round picks" for Grant.

The Pistons didn't feel like it was enough, and the Celtics shifted to trading for Evan Fournier instead last year.

Most posters here would like to keep Grant because he is a FA that actually wants to play in Detroit and is embracing the rebuild. If he legitimately is best as a third option type, which many here would agree with, the hope is that Cade is a #1(or #2) option guy and that our 2022 lottery pick (or our 2022 max capspace FA) ends up being a #1(or#2) option for us. I think its pretty realistic that Grant is shifted down to a 3rd option by the start of next season. It's also still possible that Bey develops into a more well rounded better overall offensive player than Grant, although Bey has hit a bit of struggles as of late.

For me, two first round picks from a mid tier team (likely 6th seed to 9th seed in conference) and an expiring deal would likely be enough to get a deal done for Grant. I'd want 3 first rounders if its from a better team in the conference, and I'd be willing to go for one pick if its a sure fire lottery team (like New Orleans).
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#5 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:34 pm

From the Knicks I'd do:

Grant
For
Burks/Knox/Hornets '22 1st/Mavericks '23 1st/Pistons '23 2nd

I'm assuming Burks' contract is undesirable from the Knick's perspective (it definitely would be from Detroit's.) Knox is nothing more than (expiring) salary filler to get the trade legal.

Pistons then cut McGruder to get down to 15 players.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#6 » by Kilo » Tue Nov 9, 2021 3:51 pm

Peak value was probably last off-season with whatever GSW would have offered.

Mid to late FRP and a under performing/change of scenery young player is probably what we're looking at now.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#7 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:02 pm

A low lotto pick I'd take.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#8 » by FloridaMan78 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:35 pm

What he’s worth and what Weaver values him at are different. He’s worth a mid first rounder, but I doubt Weaver budges on less than multiple firsts, as that’s what he said last year. So unless someone gets desperate I think we keep him. Also there’s no one to spend our capspace on so I see us extending him.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#9 » by vege » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:37 pm

IMO there is a difference between his value, what the fans would want back from him, and what would take for Weaver to trade him.

There are several off court things that makes him difficult for the FO to trade him, so, what would take for Weaver to trade him? A lot more than his on court value. The only trade idea I have ever seen posted in the Trades and Transactions board, that I could actually see happening, was something around Grant for Patrick Williams. Not because of value. Because Weaver was super high on Williams and tried to trade up to draft him. So, he could still be super high on him, that he would be willing to pay a high price to acquire him.

For the fans, a piece that fit better age and contract wise with our core (not for me) fans tend to be in love with the unknow potential of future picks or young players.

His value is probably a mid/late loto pick imo 10-15 (I would never trade him for that)
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#10 » by Drwho17 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 5:44 pm

Grant has picked up his defense this year I think, if Cunningham can work out, which I think we've seen a couple of glimpses of, it really opens Grant up offensively, he's working too hard to score right now. Casey needs a ball dominant star to make his offense work, if Cunningham can take that role, I think Grant will become more efficient and bring solid defense, he's a valuable guy. I think Pistons need a Young player and 1st rounder 10-20.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:37 pm

Truthfully? He hasn't had a good shooting month in a long time. That's going to lower his value regardless of how we feel about him.

Hopefully he can pick it up.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#12 » by Sort » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:29 pm

I think Pistons are now defined by how well you play with Cade, so it's a work in progress. Truth is that the sooner Cade becomes alpha dog, the better players like Grant can be within the system.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:45 pm

bstein14 wrote:We reportedly turned down a trade with Boston last season where they offered "multiple first round picks" for Grant.

The Pistons didn't feel like it was enough, and the Celtics shifted to trading for Evan Fournier instead last year.

Most posters here would like to keep Grant because he is a FA that actually wants to play in Detroit and is embracing the rebuild. If he legitimately is best as a third option type, which many here would agree with, the hope is that Cade is a #1(or #2) option guy and that our 2022 lottery pick (or our 2022 max capspace FA) ends up being a #1(or#2) option for us. I think its pretty realistic that Grant is shifted down to a 3rd option by the start of next season. It's also still possible that Bey develops into a more well rounded better overall offensive player than Grant, although Bey has hit a bit of struggles as of late.

For me, two first round picks from a mid tier team (likely 6th seed to 9th seed in conference) and an expiring deal would likely be enough to get a deal done for Grant. I'd want 3 first rounders if its from a better team in the conference, and I'd be willing to go for one pick if its a sure fire lottery team (like New Orleans).

If that's really true then we made a mistake IMO.
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#14 » by TBri1974 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:07 am

Interesting thread, and thanks for the well thought out opinions. I was pondering something like Obi, Knox, filler and the worse of our two first rounders in 22; but actually I think Obi is the better long term player (potentially), so that makes me pause (obviously the word potential always is loaded). Obi will have a hard time getting real minutes w/Randle being our overworked all star, and I see him getting frustrated here, which is a shame. Meanwhile, i could see Grant filling a defensive gap at SF (do you guys think he can be effective at SF or is he a full time PF)? Just a thought from my side. By the way, we like Burks at his contract. Very undervalued player. I would likely include him here to make salaries work, but not because we want to get rid of the contract.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,062

Post#15 » by MrBigShot » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:45 am

In a vacuum, mid 1st. If he returns to form from early last year, could be worth more than that to a team close to the edge looking for that final piece to contend.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#16 » by Canadafan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:57 am

Reading through this thread I would say not a chance we trade him then.
We need to showcase the amazing CoJo and Olynyk and get some assets for those two superstars lol
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#17 » by Drwho17 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:53 pm

No interest in Obi Topping, being the "young" player in a trade for Grant.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#18 » by Manocad » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:52 pm

Canadafan wrote:Reading through this thread I would say not a chance we trade him then.
We need to showcase the amazing CoJo and Olynyk and get some assets for those two superstars lol

Assuming Grant can benefit from Cade's presence as others have relative to getting better scoring opportunities and can efficiently put up 20 PPG at $20 million per, why would the Pistons want to trade him now? Shoot, his contract expires after next season anyway. If he winds up being great, is looking for that last big contract and the Pistons don't want to re-sign him or he doesn't fit in with the team's development, i.e. he's looking to get paid but the rest of the team hasn't developed enough yet to pump more money into him, trade him next year as an expiring.

Now, I know what some people will say--"He's 27 now and doesn't fit the timeline." My answer to that would be that if the NBA has taught us anything in the last 20 years it's that a team's "timeline," i.e. window to win a championship, is likely 3-4 years. Now for the Pistons that window hopefully starts to open next year, is wide open in 2-3 years when Grant is 29-30--which is still fine if he's doing well and the Pistons want to re-sign him--and starts to close in 4 years. The idea that trying to achieve an entire roster of 19-23 year olds ASAP means the team has either a) a better shot at winning a championship or b) has a bigger window for winning a championship isn't supported by what has actually happened in the NBA in the last 20 years.

As I've continued to say, at some point the team has to roll out a core lineup for the better part of a season (if not an entire season, i.e. THIS SEASON) to evaluate where they're at then adjust accordingly.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#19 » by Canadafan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm

^^^^well said. I'm glad you didnt bring up Cades height as part of your reasoning hahaha.
I'm more than happy keeping him now.
It's nice to know we have one more shot at a high draft pick and tons of cap space to improve going forward.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#20 » by King Bugs » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm still on the "sell high on Jerami Grant before the rest of the NBA realizes he's role player masquerading as a go-to guy" train. He's better than I thought he'd be when we signed him, but he's still not that great. Jerami is like Tobias Harris, if Tobias rebounded poorly for his position and was a way less efficient scorer.

Grant just doesn't impress me. It's great that we finally had a FA signing that didn't completely bomb and become an unmoveable albatross of a contract, but that's not gonna make me fall in love with mediocrity.

Return to Detroit Pistons