ImageImageImage

2021-22 regular season thread

Moderator: ijspeelman

Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: 2021-22 regular season thread 

Post#901 » by Revenged25 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Collin talked a bit about how his role has changed this season and mentioned that he's been told that his time will come in the first seconds of the shot clock and the last seconds, and in between he's spacing and just trying to feel things out about when he can cut or make a move without getting in other players way.

Or in other words, Collin's job is to attack in transition and bail us out when there's no time left on the clock and someone has to try to create a shot.

But, but, but Sexton can't pass, he's a ball hog, and whenever the ball touches his hand it stops... :D
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#902 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Collin talked a bit about how his role has changed this season and mentioned that he's been told that his time will come in the first seconds of the shot clock and the last seconds, and in between he's spacing and just trying to feel things out about when he can cut or make a move without getting in other players way.

Or in other words, Collin's job is to attack in transition and bail us out when there's no time left on the clock and someone has to try to create a shot.

But, but, but Sexton can't pass, he's a ball hog, and whenever the ball touches his hand it stops... :D

Hmm... did I do a bad job explaining this? JBB has actually tried to address all that.

Let me try again ...

Collin's primary role is to get out on the break and score in transition and attack when the shot clock is running out. Outside of those two scenarios hes supposed to be spacing the floor and looking for opportunities to cut and get an easy score.

If Garland and Rubio are healthy he shouldn't be running the offense or running P&R, and he's not supposed to be stopping the ball if there's still time left on the clock, but you can't fix everything all at once.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#903 » by Revenged25 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Hmm... did I do a bad job explaining this? JBB has actually tried to address all that.

Let me try again ...

Collin's primary role is to get out on the break and score in transition and attack when the shot clock is running out. Outside of those two scenarios hes supposed to be spacing the floor and looking for opportunities to cut and get an easy score.

If Garland and Rubio are healthy he shouldn't be running the offense or running P&R, and he's not supposed to be stopping the ball if there's still time left on the clock, but you can't fix everything all at once.

Sorry I was trying to be sarcastic
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Post#904 » by toooskies » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:12 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Our little winning streak is sweet, we actually have players with a positive +/- for a change (don't have to go to on-off).

Lance Stevens took a big jump after his performance .vs. the Clippers, but disregarding him ... Garland, Rubio, Sexton, Mobley, Allen, and Love are all positive in that order.

Then it's Okoro and Markkannen as we dip in to the negative players, then it's off a cliff to the rest.

Easy solution for Lauri to improve is to start knocking down shots. Isaac stats look a lot like last seasons, coming off the bench hasn't given him much of a boost. His FG% is better, but he's barely taking 3's and his ft shooting has been bad so it's only a slight bump to his TS%.

It would be nice to be able to evaluate Wade & Windler, but they've played like 5 minutes total between them. JBB says he will evaluate his lineups and adjust, so, it might just be a matter of time.

In other news, Larry Nance seems to be playing well in Portland and gaining some fans, but the Blazers are just 2-2 ... way too early to stick our tongue out at Larry (in fun!), but if he wanted to play for a contender ... maybe, just maybe ... he should have stuck around.

And what about Kevin Love? If we're actually ready to compete this season, our window suddenly overlaps with his. If we trade him, are we even opening up minutes for someone else? I suppose it depends what we get in return and the big if ... he can stay healthy.

Ahh well, some happy thoughts only a 3 game winning streak can bring. :lol:

If Love is traded it's gotta be for a matching salary, so unless it's another overpaid player it's going for a quality, or multiple quality players with the Cavs attaching some 1sts.

Yeah, as long as Markkanen is starting at the 3, we need Love as a bench big. I don't see there being any incentive to move him as long as we're committed to the Tower City lineup.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#905 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:46 pm

So what's up with our guys? Are both Love and Markkanen unvaxed or just testing positive? Hopefully nobody else goes out as now that's 2 pretty crucial pieces to our team not around for the near future.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#906 » by JonFromVA » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:47 pm

Are we allowed to have nice things?

Now Lauri joins Kevin in health protocols.

But looking on the bright side, I suppose that will make it harder for them to injure something over the next week or so.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#907 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Nov 3, 2021 10:40 pm

DWade has a great opportunity to shoot as much as he wants so I hope he takes advantage of it.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,615

Post#908 » by Vampirate » Thu Nov 4, 2021 3:59 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:DWade has a great opportunity to shoot as much as he wants so I hope he takes advantage of it.

Wow when did he come out of retirement? :lol:

But in all seriousness, Mobley has the length and footwork to just shadow players to the hoop, guards stand no chance against the guy.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#909 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 4, 2021 5:39 am

Vampirate wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:DWade has a great opportunity to shoot as much as he wants so I hope he takes advantage of it.

Wow when did he come out of retirement? :lol:

But in all seriousness, Mobley has the length and footwork to just shadow players to the hoop, guards stand no chance against the guy.

Lillard got both Mobley and Allen with layups, but Jaret got him when it mattered most.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#910 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:00 pm

Next Week-ish 5 games-
Sunday @ Knicks
Weds Vs Wizards
Friday Vs Pistons
Saturday vs Celts
Monday Vs Celts

Would be nice to go 3-2 or 4-1 in this stretch as following games are @Brooklyn and Vs GSW.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#911 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:08 pm

Also what's up with Okoro/Love/Markkanen? Will they still be out for this stretch of games?
toooskies
Analyst

Post#912 » by toooskies » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:20 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Also what's up with Okoro/Love/Markkanen? Will they still be out for this stretch of games?

Okoro was supposedly traveling with the team but isn't a guarantee to suit up. Love and Markkanen are still in the protocols, and presuming they didn't pull an Aaron Rodgers they've been vaccinated, which probably means they've tested positive for COVID and are out until they aren't.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#913 » by toooskies » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:13 am

toooskies wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:Also what's up with Okoro/Love/Markkanen? Will they still be out for this stretch of games?

Okoro was supposedly traveling with the team but isn't a guarantee to suit up. Love and Markkanen are still in the protocols, and presuming they didn't pull an Aaron Rodgers they've been vaccinated, which probably means they've tested positive for COVID and are out until they aren't.

Update: Okoro is out against the Knicks tomorrow.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#914 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:46 pm

It's time for my annual vacation from the T&T board.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#915 » by JonFromVA » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:It's time for my annual vacation from the T&T board.

lol, I'll take that as a heads up to see what flavor of silliness is going on.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#916 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:00 pm

Sounds like Okoro will be back on Wednesday:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#917 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:36 pm

Never change Dion.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#918 » by JonFromVA » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:32 am

Wow, 3 Cavs rate as some of the best passers in the league with Garland currently sitting at 2.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#919 » by LesGrossman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:40 am

JonFromVA wrote:Wow, 3 Cavs rate as some of the best passers in the league with Garland currently sitting at 2.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Flattering but still looks very wrong to me.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#920 » by JonFromVA » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Wow, 3 Cavs rate as some of the best passers in the league with Garland currently sitting at 2.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Flattering but still looks very wrong to me.

We're not far in to the season so lists like this will be volatile and I have no clue what they're using and what they're ignoring; but there's no doubt the Cavs passing has been awesome and it is primarily those 3 (Garland, Rubio, and Mobley).

They have another chart which breaks down Garland's passing by category and he scores an A in every category but one, and another which shows his year to year improvement.

In otherwords for those waiting for Garland to break out, its been going on ... just not in PPG and not without some help/synergy from teammates and shifting of roles by JBB.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers