Image ImageImage Image

Caruso on recent free agency

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,579

Caruso on recent free agency 

Post#1 » by Clocian » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:33 am

Damn I love Hip Hop!
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,234

Re: Caruso on recent free agency 

Post#2 » by kodo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:46 am

Very interesting. When I read about the contract we gave him I assumed we just outbid everyone by a significant margin to get him to come to a crappy team like Chicago. I didn't expect multiple teams to be offering what Chicago offered.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#3 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:25 am

That was interesting to hear. It's pretty clear that AKME's impressive in the room.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#4 » by Axl Rose » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 am

I liked the signing but i didn't realize just how good he actually was. It's also a good thing AKME sold him on the team and didn't have Benny go meet him at O'Hare :lol:
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#5 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:01 am

One of best signings Bulls ever made in FA. I mean overall this last free agency is likely best one in team history. Which tells how badly this franchise was run for 20+ years. What Bulls fans had to endure is basically Dante's circles of Hell.

I personally like this now established fact where AKME gets in room with players and do well. DeRozan had similar experience. It's working. And it's nice to hear it around the league even if its on players podcast.

If we only had AKME in 2010...
Bullflip
Assistant Coach
And1: 846

Post#6 » by Bullflip » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:31 am

TheFinishSniper wrote:One of best signings Bulls ever made in FA. I mean overall this last free agency is likely best one in team history. Which tells how badly this franchise was run for 20+ years. What Bulls fans had to endure is basically Dante's circles of Hell.

I personally like this now established fact where AKME gets in room with players and do well. DeRozan had similar experience. It's working. And it's nice to hear it around the league even if its on players podcast.

Lol could you imagine?

Rose
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Noah
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#7 » by PaKii94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:58 am

Bullflip wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:One of best signings Bulls ever made in FA. I mean overall this last free agency is likely best one in team history. Which tells how badly this franchise was run for 20+ years. What Bulls fans had to endure is basically Dante's circles of Hell.

Lol could you imagine?

Rose
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Noah

While imagining we could add drafting jimmy into that mix :D
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,207

Post#8 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:32 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Bullflip wrote:

Lol could you imagine?

Rose
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Noah

Deng is the sixth man in this team… consider that too. Rose never reaches MVP level Rose but still. That’s on Paxson. He did everything right honestly, except he isn’t Pat Riley. Pat is better at the job so you go work for the better boss.

The big 3 enter the room Paxson is in the corner back turned talking
“Guys remembered I choked Del Negro that was hilarious”

Someone says ahem and Paxson turns around…

“Oh hey guys welcome, didn’t know you were here. Let me tell you a little about the culture here. We do like firing coaches, sometimes even on Xmas. Weather is not great, taxes are high but you get to play with Derrick Rose!”

Wade “ where is Derrick”

Pax - “oh he doesn’t recruit not really interested in meeting you, but I got this guy you are going to love… Gar come on over here”
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:37 am

Axl Rose wrote:I liked the signing but i didn't realize just how good he actually was. It's also a good thing AKME sold him on the team and didn't have Benny go meet him at O'Hare :lol:

He had to sell billy too the year before. He is at the very least a better salesman than Pax
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,001

Post#10 » by MisterRoy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Bullflip wrote:
Lol could you imagine?

Rose
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Noah

Deng is the sixth man in this team… consider that too. Rose never reaches MVP level Rose but still. That’s on Paxson. He did everything right honestly, except he isn’t Pat Riley. Pat is better at the job so you go work for the better boss.

“Oh hey guys welcome, didn’t know you were here. Let me tell you a little about the culture here. We do like firing coaches, sometimes even on Xmas. Weather is not great, taxes are high but you get to play with Derrick Rose!”

Wade “ where is Derrick”

Pax - “oh he doesn’t recruit not really interested in meeting you, but I got this guy you are going to love… Gar come on over here”

I believe the reason this didn't happen was because we couldn't trade Deng. The Clippers were going to trade for him but they got cold feet. At least, that was the last story I heard.

Sent from somewhere you've never been.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:48 am

MisterRoy wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Wade “ where is Derrick”

I believe the reason this didn't happen was because we couldn't trade Deng. The Clippers were going to trade for him but they got cold feet. At least, that was the last story I heard.

Sent from somewhere you've never been.

Possible but they basically went all chips in and if all 3 had agreed they would have worked something out. I do believe we finished a legit second, but Miami was just more attractive and Riley is a way better salesman. Bulls team would have been better though, Roses refusal to recruit surely didn’t help the cause either.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,529

Post#12 » by Andi Obst » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:28 am

I expected him to get the full MLE somewhere, which is why I was super excited to see we got him for slightly less than that (and for 4 years). Don’t understand what the Lakers were thinking. They had a brutal offseason.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#13 » by meekrab » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:38 pm

Little Nathan wrote:I expected him to get the full MLE somewhere, which is why I was super excited to see we got him for slightly less than that (and for 4 years). Don’t understand what the Lakers were thinking. They had a brutal offseason.

Seems like they went all in on "name" players and Caruso just.. wasn't one. :crazy:
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#14 » by sco » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:56 pm

meekrab wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:I expected him to get the full MLE somewhere, which is why I was super excited to see we got him for slightly less than that (and for 4 years). Don’t understand what the Lakers were thinking. They had a brutal offseason.

Seems like they went all in on "name" players and Caruso just.. wasn't one. :crazy:

Certainly the trade for Westbrook would have limited his opportunity. Also, they wanted to develop THT.
:clap:
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#15 » by sco » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Just saw this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/caruso-details-bulls-recruited-him-160027586.html

I really didn’t hear much from any team — including the Lakers — leading up to [the start of free agency at] 6 p.m., and then they called, and the Lakers made their offer. It wasn’t an offer I was going to accept because I was going to be able to get considerably more money from another team…

“I got on the phone with [Bulls GM Artūras Karnišovas] and with [head coach Billy Donovan], and the way they were just talking about how they wanted to play and how they saw me as a player, I thought they hit the nail on the head. I thought everything they said, I was like ‘I think that’s accurate, I think that’s what I bring to the table, I think that’s how I can help the team win, I think that’s the direction this team wants to go.’ I thought there was a need for the stuff that I had.

“Essentially we got that offer, went back to L.A., asked if they could do the same, they said ‘no.’ Asked for something else that was a little less, they said ‘no.’ So I said ‘OK, if that’s what it comes to, I’m ready to go to Chicago and start the next chapter.’ It’s been great. I think it’s been a great decision for me.”
:clap:
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#16 » by IamSam » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:39 pm

HomoSapien wrote:That was interesting to hear. It's pretty clear that AKME's impressive in the room.

The new management team sure does seem to be very good at making their targets feel really wanted. I remember getting the sense with the previous mgmt that the Bulls pretty much relied upon whatever good will they could get from the dynasty days to appeal to players (which obviously didn't lead to a lot of overall team sucess).

They also seem to do a good job of communicating a clear vision and truly understanding the players skills as well as the players perceptions of their skills/teammates skills.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#17 » by MrSparkle » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Seems like good teams have a FO & HC on the same page, and they recruit players that suit a shared vision. Seemed preposterous to me that G&P started shunning Adams & Thibs’ suggestions… and also never seemed to consult Hoiberg (or equally likely that Fred just didn’t have enough NBA rapport and or instinct to actually have any good suggestions - maybe RoLo, Grant and Payne were his input).

Anyway, great scouting on Caruso. Great recruiting by AK and BD. I was saying since the Vuc trade that AKME needed to rehaul PG with not 1 but 2 higher caliber targets, and they did it… plus a 3rd… plus a pseudo point/wing in Demar.

It’s nice when the FO vastly exceeds your expectations of what’s possible in one stretch of moves.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#18 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:44 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Bullflip wrote:
Lol could you imagine?

Rose
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Noah

Deng is the sixth man in this team…

Not that it matters much, but the Bulls needed to move Deng to make the other part happen.

They actually were trying to lineup a suitor for Deng in order to make room for all three, but couldn't get commitment that they'd come and couldn't get the trade lined up in time, but it was an option they tried to move on.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,696

Post#19 » by madvillian » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:52 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Seems like good teams have a FO & HC on the same page, and they recruit players that suit a shared vision. Seemed preposterous to me that G&P started shunning Adams & Thibs’ suggestions… and also never seemed to consult Hoiberg (or equally likely that Fred just didn’t have enough NBA rapport and or instinct to actually have any good suggestions - maybe RoLo, Grant and Payne were his input).

Anyway, great scouting on Caruso. Great recruiting by AK and BD. I was saying since the Vuc trade that AKME needed to rehaul PG with not 1 but 2 higher caliber targets, and they did it… plus a 3rd… plus a pseudo point/wing in Demar.

It’s nice when the FO vastly exceeds your expectations of what’s possible in one stretch of moves.

Players aren't dumb. They want to go where they feel they can contribute, earn their next contract and do some winning. If you have a GM with a vision you can sell them on it as was the case here. It felt like early in Paxson's tenure, and maybe a bit when it was GarPax, that they had a vision (surrounding Rose with the defenders) and could sell guys on it but after the "three amigos" it was clear they were just winging it year to year. AKME has come in with a plan and executed it. The plan isn't perfect, few are, but so far it's been fruitful.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#20 » by gardenofsound » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Man, AKME are like assassins.

People (and players, most importantly) are starting to get that reminder of what the United Center is like when the Bulls are good/exciting. Seeing that atmosphere and hearing these stories about the FO can only make Chicago more enticing as a destination.

Return to Chicago Bulls