ImageImageImage

What do you see as the value for Jerami Grant?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: What do you see as the value for Jerami Grant? 

Post#21 » by Manocad » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 pm

Canadafan wrote:^^^^well said. I'm glad you didnt bring up Cades height as part of your reasoning hahaha.
I'm more than happy keeping him now.
It's nice to know we have one more shot at a high draft pick and tons of cap space to improve going forward.

You know Jerami Grant isn't ACTUALLY 6'8", right? Google his height and you'll even see 6'6".

Meaning the Pistons got swindled AGAIN.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,457

Post#22 » by Canadafan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Manocad wrote:
Canadafan wrote:^^^^well said. I'm glad you didnt bring up Cades height as part of your reasoning hahaha.
I'm more than happy keeping him now.
It's nice to know we have one more shot at a high draft pick and tons of cap space to improve going forward.

You know Jerami Grant isn't ACTUALLY 6'8", right? Google his height and you'll even see 6'6".

Meaning the Pistons got swindled AGAIN.

:noway: :lol: :banghead: :lol:
Jcrawfordcross
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#23 » by Jcrawfordcross » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:16 am

Manocad wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Reading through this thread I would say not a chance we trade him then.
We need to showcase the amazing CoJo and Olynyk and get some assets for those two superstars lol

Assuming Grant can benefit from Cade's presence as others have relative to getting better scoring opportunities and can efficiently put up 20 PPG at $20 million per, why would the Pistons want to trade him now? Shoot, his contract expires after next season anyway. If he winds up being great, is looking for that last big contract and the Pistons don't want to re-sign him or he doesn't fit in with the team's development, i.e. he's looking to get paid but the rest of the team hasn't developed enough yet to pump more money into him, trade him next year as an expiring.

Now, I know what some people will say--"He's 27 now and doesn't fit the timeline." My answer to that would be that if the NBA has taught us anything in the last 20 years it's that a team's "timeline," i.e. window to win a championship, is likely 3-4 years. Now for the Pistons that window hopefully starts to open next year, is wide open in 2-3 years when Grant is 29-30--which is still fine if he's doing well and the Pistons want to re-sign him--and starts to close in 4 years. The idea that trying to achieve an entire roster of 19-23 year olds ASAP means the team has either a) a better shot at winning a championship or b) has a bigger window for winning a championship isn't supported by what has actually happened in the NBA in the last 20 years.

As I've continued to say, at some point the team has to roll out a core lineup for the better part of a season (if not an entire season, i.e. THIS SEASON) to evaluate where they're at then adjust accordingly.

I have so much respect and admiration for Grant as he is the most high profile free agent that CHOSE to come to Detroit. I can’t think of the last decent player to have the same contract offer but still chose Detroit. Charlie V, Ben Gordon and Josh Smith do not count as they not compare in terms of talent nor did they have any similar offer at least to my knowledge. Maybe Dice?

To answer your question why should they trade Grant? If he shows any indication he wants out. He deserves the Beal treatment imo. Grant’s definitely had a taste of winning as he’s been in the playoffs with OKC, Denver and this years Olympics (prime recruiting grounds). In this current landscape there is a very low chance we make the play in tournament. Hayes, Bey and Stew have yet to show any signs of taking that enormous leap in year 2. We made zero impactful free agent signings this off-season - yes are are in full rebuild mode. Maybe Grant thought there would be a chance we could be competitive for that 10 seed this year. If he is sick of Detroit getting blown out game after game and asks for out, this year is where his value is highest compared to next year as an expiring where a team could risk losing him for only a year of service. He’s shown zero signs of wanting out as he’s so involved in the community and I think he likes it in Detroit on top of being the #1 option.

If the Pistons were to get maximum value on a trade for Grant (again assuming Grant requests it), this year would be the move to make it and I would definitely want some players back not picks. I don’t think Grant can be the #2 option on a championship caliber team but definitely 3-4. We would also need to capitalize on a playoff contending team to get hit with a serious injury. All that to say I think it’s highly unlikely we trade Grant. But if we do…

Bulls come to mind as Patrick Williams is out. I doubt the Bulls take a Pwill/Coby White/ Derrick Jones (filler and expiring) for Grant/JJ/Cojo or KH or even KO.

Maybe the Kings as Harrison Barnes is having a career year and desperately want to end their playoff drought. Doubt they do Haliburton/tristian Thompson (filler) for Grant.

Maybe the warriors and they run with Green at the 5? Wiseman or Kuminga/Poole would be very intriguing. Don’t think you need a crazy big center this year as Lakers and Nuggets (Yikes for MPJ contract) don’t look to be serious playoff threats this year.

Maybe Charlotte for Bridges package as they can’t defend anyone. Grant is probably the superior defender but don’t think Charlotte does it.

Those are the type of packages we should look for grant but again this is assuming he would want out and I am most likely over valuing him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#24 » by DET_Athletics » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:08 am

I'm only trading him of we get the #1 overall pick again this year and taking Banchero. And the only two places I am trading him to is for a starting caliber young point Gaurd. San Antonio for Dejounte Murray or Toronto for Fred Vanvleet.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Post#25 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 am

Jcrawfordcross wrote:I have so much respect and admiration for Grant as he is the most high profile free agent that CHOSE to come to Detroit. I can’t think of the last decent player to have the same contract offer but still chose Detroit. Charlie V, Ben Gordon and Josh Smith do not count as they not compare in terms of talent

Oh, JSmoove had the talent. He was just a bonehead, chuckin down a one way street. Grant fits our lineup far better than Josh Smith ever did (blame the front office for that unforced brain fart error).
Manocad
RealGM

Post#26 » by Manocad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Jcrawfordcross wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Reading through this thread I would say not a chance we trade him then.
We need to showcase the amazing CoJo and Olynyk and get some assets for those two superstars lol

Assuming Grant can benefit from Cade's presence as others have relative to getting better scoring opportunities and can efficiently put up 20 PPG at $20 million per, why would the Pistons want to trade him now? Shoot, his contract expires after next season anyway. If he winds up being great, is looking for that last big contract and the Pistons don't want to re-sign him or he doesn't fit in with the team's development, i.e. he's looking to get paid but the rest of the team hasn't developed enough yet to pump more money into him, trade him next year as an expiring.

Now, I know what some people will say--"He's 27 now and doesn't fit the timeline." My answer to that would be that if the NBA has taught us anything in the last 20 years it's that a team's "timeline," i.e. window to win a championship, is likely 3-4 years. Now for the Pistons that window hopefully starts to open next year, is wide open in 2-3 years when Grant is 29-30--which is still fine if he's doing well and the Pistons want to re-sign him--and starts to close in 4 years. The idea that trying to achieve an entire roster of 19-23 year olds ASAP means the team has either a) a better shot at winning a championship or b) has a bigger window for winning a championship isn't supported by what has actually happened in the NBA in the last 20 years.

As I've continued to say, at some point the team has to roll out a core lineup for the better part of a season (if not an entire season, i.e. THIS SEASON) to evaluate where they're at then adjust accordingly.

I have so much respect and admiration for Grant as he is the most high profile free agent that CHOSE to come to Detroit. I can’t think of the last decent player to have the same contract offer but still chose Detroit. Charlie V, Ben Gordon and Josh Smith do not count as they not compare in terms of talent nor did they have any similar offer at least to my knowledge. Maybe Dice?

To answer your question why should they trade Grant? If he shows any indication he wants out. He deserves the Beal treatment imo. Grant’s definitely had a taste of winning as he’s been in the playoffs with OKC, Denver and this years Olympics (prime recruiting grounds). In this current landscape there is a very low chance we make the play in tournament. Hayes, Bey and Stew have yet to show any signs of taking that enormous leap in year 2. We made zero impactful free agent signings this off-season - yes are are in full rebuild mode. Maybe Grant thought there would be a chance we could be competitive for that 10 seed this year. If he is sick of Detroit getting blown out game after game and asks for out, this year is where his value is highest compared to next year as an expiring where a team could risk losing him for only a year of service. He’s shown zero signs of wanting out as he’s so involved in the community and I think he likes it in Detroit on top of being the #1 option.

If the Pistons were to get maximum value on a trade for Grant (again assuming Grant requests it), this year would be the move to make it and I would definitely want some players back not picks. I don’t think Grant can be the #2 option on a championship caliber team but definitely 3-4. We would also need to capitalize on a playoff contending team to get hit with a serious injury. All that to say I think it’s highly unlikely we trade Grant. But if we do…

Bulls come to mind as Patrick Williams is out. I doubt the Bulls take a Pwill/Coby White/ Derrick Jones (filler and expiring) for Grant/JJ/Cojo or KH or even KO.

Maybe the Kings as Harrison Barnes is having a career year and desperately want to end their playoff drought. Doubt they do Haliburton/tristian Thompson (filler) for Grant.

Maybe the warriors and they run with Green at the 5? Wiseman or Kuminga/Poole would be very intriguing. Don’t think you need a crazy big center this year as Lakers and Nuggets (Yikes for MPJ contract) don’t look to be serious playoff threats this year.

Maybe Charlotte for Bridges package as they can’t defend anyone. Grant is probably the superior defender but don’t think Charlotte does it.

Those are the type of packages we should look for grant but again this is assuming he would want out and I am most likely over valuing him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

If Grant indicates he wants out of Detroit then sure, trade him. My question was geared at now, in which there is no indication that Grant wants out, rather than a hypothetical "under what scenario would you trade Grant." I think it's premature to say that Grant's ceiling is a #3 option on a championship team when we don't really know what we've got in this core group yet. Can Grant be a #1 or #2 if you've got Cade at 20 PPG, Bey at 18 PPG, Hayes at 10 PPG with 7-8 assists, and a bench that consistently puts up 40 a game and everyone continues to play the defense they do while improving the team rebounding?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,529

Post#27 » by codydaze » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Kings fan coming in peace. Sounds like Stein is reporting Detroit might be a team interested in Bagley. What kind of value would we need to add to pry Grant away? Would something like Bagley/Thompson and a top-10 protected first be close?

Read on Twitter
Manocad
RealGM

Post#28 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:06 pm

codydaze wrote:Kings fan coming in peace. Sounds like Stein is reporting Detroit might be a team interested in Bagley. What kind of value would we need to add to pry Grant away? Would something like Bagley/Thompson and a top-10 protected first be close?

Read on Twitter

Let's start with this--the Pistons aren't shopping Grant and you're looking to buy, so you have to plan on overpaying. That being said, let me hear your sales pitch on why what you're offering is worth more to the Pistons than Grant not only from a player/role standpoint but from a value around the league standpoint.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,529

Post#29 » by codydaze » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Manocad wrote:
codydaze wrote:Kings fan coming in peace. Sounds like Stein is reporting Detroit might be a team interested in Bagley. What kind of value would we need to add to pry Grant away? Would something like Bagley/Thompson and a top-10 protected first be close?

Read on Twitter

Let's start with this--the Pistons aren't shopping Grant and you're looking to buy, so you have to plan on overpaying. That being said, let me hear your sales pitch on why what you're offering is worth more to the Pistons than Grant not only from a player/role standpoint but from a value around the league standpoint.

Well the premise of my offer was if you guys are shopping Grant, if not then I don't think there's a deal at a price we'd be willing to pay. I was trying to get a sense on where he stands in Detroit's future plans is all. If he wasn't in them then I think a flyer on Bagley + filler plus a 1st (protections negotiable) is where we would start our offer.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#30 » by dVs33 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter

There was a rumour that sac offered Bagley for bey and we declined. I can’t imagine weaver now offering grant for Bagley.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#31 » by Manocad » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:30 pm

codydaze wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Read on Twitter

Well the premise of my offer was if you guys are shopping Grant, if not then I don't think there's a deal at a price we'd be willing to pay. I was trying to get a sense on where he stands in Detroit's future plans is all. If he wasn't in them then I think a flyer on Bagley + filler plus a 1st (protections negotiable) is where we would start our offer.

Let's say the Pistons were shopping Grant, a legit 20 PPG player who's 27. And you'd offer a flyer and a protected first round pick? Have a nice day; I'm sure you can see your way out.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#32 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:09 am

How far off is Coby White, Portland 2022 1st rounder owed to Chicago, and DJJ for Grant? Feel like Grant is a perfect fit at the 4 for Chicago. I like Coby as a 3 point shooter next to Cade long term, and DJJ has been outstanding in limited minutes.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#33 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:13 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:How far off is Coby White, Portland 2022 1st rounder owed to Chicago, and DJJ for Grant? Feel like Grant is a perfect fit at the 4 for Chicago. I like Coby as a 3 point shooter next to Cade long term, and DJJ has been outstanding in limited minutes.

Weaver was really high on Patrick Williams that draft. I think he'd be in any trade if Detroit and Chicago did something involving Grant.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#34 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31 am

Kilo wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:How far off is Coby White, Portland 2022 1st rounder owed to Chicago, and DJJ for Grant? Feel like Grant is a perfect fit at the 4 for Chicago. I like Coby as a 3 point shooter next to Cade long term, and DJJ has been outstanding in limited minutes.

Weaver was really high on Patrick Williams that draft. I think he'd be in any trade if Detroit and Chicago did something involving Grant.

That makes sense. I think knowing Pat Williams was really the new front offices first pick and first guy they brought in, they’re probably higher on him than anyone.

May be a silly question, does Bey have higher trade value than Grant? Love his game too.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#35 » by dVs33 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:06 am

I’d be very surprised if grant was moved in a deal for pieces. I don’t think the value is that far off, I just don’t think the fit is right.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#36 » by vege » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:35 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:May be a silly question, does Bey have higher trade value than Grant? Love his game too.

I don't think either of them is available.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#37 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Grant doesnt have much value right now, unless another GM is squinting really hard and can see something no one else sees.

He can't shoot (maybe it comes back?), looked completely disinterested in playing last night against the Cavs, seems to have lost the ability to get into the paint and score.

He's solidly a 3rd star on a team, making $20 million, that is in a terrible, terrible slump.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#38 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:14 pm

He's paid right for his worth as a very good third option and potential lockdown wing defender. He got the same contract offer from Denver to stay in his role there, but wanted Detroit to see if he could be more. Well, now he knows.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Manocad
RealGM

Post#39 » by Manocad » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Grant doesnt have much value right now, unless another GM is squinting really hard and can see something no one else sees.

He can't shoot (maybe it comes back?), looked completely disinterested in playing last night against the Cavs, seems to have lost the ability to get into the paint and score.

He's solidly a 3rd star on a team, making $20 million, that is in a terrible, terrible slump.

You DID see him put up 35 points on 12-23 and 4-9 from 3 on Wednesday night, right? Last night he shot 5-12 and 2-4 from 3 which is hardly anything to be critical about in the "he can't shoot" sense. That's his last two games which doesn't come anywhere close to qualifying as a "terrible, terrible slump."
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#40 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:47 pm

Manocad wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:Grant doesnt have much value right now, unless another GM is squinting really hard and can see something no one else sees.

You DID see him put up 35 points on 12-23 and 4-9 from 3 on Wednesday night, right? Last night he shot 5-12 and 2-4 from 3 which is hardly anything to be critical about in the "he can't shoot" sense. That's his last two games which doesn't come anywhere close to qualifying as a "terrible, terrible slump."

He had 1 sizzling hot game where he looked incredible - for the first half. Most of the 12 makes were 1st half.

Last night was not good because he gave up a bunch of open looks through the first 3 quarters (I couldnt take any more punishment). If a guy making $20 million passes out of open looks and will only shoot when he is wide open - that is bad. Especially if those wide open shots get him to 5-12.

Grant is shooting 40.6% on 15.5 attempts per game. You have to go back to his rookie year to get that bad again. He was on fire two games ago for the 1st half. 3 games ago he went 0-9 playing with 5 points in 39 minutes against the Nets.

His value is very low, especially if another team has to trade for him. He is not playing well.

Return to Detroit Pistons