ImageImageImage

Daryl Morey's unimpressive first year with the Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Re: Daryl Morey's unimpressive first year with the Sixers 

Post#121 » by Wilfried » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:47 am

sixers4real wrote:In a Chicago game thread, I’ve mentioned that we’ve had 8 players that game and Morey played a role of getting 6 of them here.

Then, I realized that out of 15 players that we have on contract (excluding Henry and Riller 2-way) Morey got 10 players here in just a little over a year. He was hired late October 2020.

Danny Green ($10M) - got in a trade and then resigned for a decent tradable contract
Seth Curry ($8,2M) - got in a trade, one of the best shooters in the league on a great contract
Furkan Forkmaz ($4,6M) - resigned for cheap to three years, one of the most underrated singings by Morey
Georges Niang ($3,3M) - singed this off-season, great bench player for just $6,75 over two years
Tyrese Maxey ($2,6M) - drafted by Morey, great potential
Andre Drummond ($2,4M) - singed this off-drain for minimum. Underrated move as well. Great backup for Embiid.
Jaden Springer ($2M) - drafted by Morey, to be determined.
Isaiah Joe ($1,5M) - great pick by Morey in the 2nd round last year, Joe definitely improved and can get much better and become rotational player
Paul Reed ($1,5M) - same as Joe
Charles Bassey ($1M) - drafted by Morey, to be determined

So, out of 15 players, 10 are here because of Morey.

Now, funny fact, this 10 players make a combine of little over $35M a year. Our total payroll is $142.

The rest 5 players are
Tobias Harris - $36M (I guess he’ll trade him if there is the good return for him, but putting him on the market right now makes no sense)
Ben Simmons - $33M (I’m quite sure he’ll trade him, he already tried once for Harden)
Joel Embiid - $31,5M (our franchise, he seems to have a good relationship with Morey, and got resigned by Morey)
Mattie Thybulle - $2,8M (maybe Morey will trade him with Simmons, like he already tried)
Shake Milton - $1,8M (Shake is on great contract, but if needed, I’m sure Morey will include him in Simmons or other deal, but value wise, Shake is in great contract)

I’m conclusion, I wanted to say, Morey is obviously building his team here, and value wise, salaries wise, I love it.
It’s feels so great to trust a GM.
And I trust him on Simmons trade and on decision on what to do with Tobias.

This
We have Morey now, we aren't getting fleeced anymore in any trade.
That's the good part of having him, we've seen other things
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#122 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 am

With the trend of the league right now, he’s the perfect GM.

- yearly high supply of scoring guards in the draft
- the league weakening ISO plays by lowering FTr
- collective way of playing which values roster depth where he has a talent of finding hidden gems

I hated him when we werent able to land Harden. But I praise him for how he has turned this roster around specially with how he has handled the Ben situation relative to our roster with how we’re playing and how the franchise has completely dominated the 4D chess against Ben and Klutch Sports

*should not have drafted Springer but i have faith in him that he knows better than me
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#123 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:59 pm

76ciology wrote:With the trend of the league right now, he’s the perfect GM.

- yearly high supply of scoring guards in the draft
- the league weakening ISO plays by lowering FTr
- collective way of playing which values roster depth where he has a talent of finding hidden gems

I hated him when we werent able to land Harden. But I praise him for how he has turned this roster around specially with how he has handled the Ben situation relative to our roster with how we’re playing and how the franchise has completely dominated the 4D chess against Ben and Klutch Sports

*should not have drafted Springer but i have faith in him that he knows better than me

The jury is out on Springer, he's a baby at this point and it's unlikely that any other player drafted would be getting time with this roster at full health. Springer has all the tools and he works his tail off - I watched a bunch of his games at UT, and if the kid can improve his 3-pt shooting, which he should, there's no reason why he can't be ready to contribute in the next couple of season.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#124 » by freshie2 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:03 pm

Is this really a topic? What has Morey done wrong? Is this symbolic of our modern society or the Philly fan base? :banghead:
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#125 » by mjkvol » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:08 pm

freshie2 wrote:Is this really a topic? What has Morey done wrong? Is this symbolic of our modern society or the Philly fan base? :banghead:

It's only a topic because of one guy who has a hard on for Morey and decided to start the thread. Calls himself Fire Morey on here, so there you go.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#126 » by phifans » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:48 am

So ... what Daryl's gonna to do to Ben if he finds out nothing has changed and he still can't find a deal he likes during the middle season ?

... especially if our record has regressed then and struggle to fight for a postseason berth at that point. It's gonna be really interesting.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers