RealGM
And1: 69,199

Re: 2021 Rookie Thread 

Post#41 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:17 pm

i think 3 huge indicators of long term elite level play for Mobley right now:

- 80% FT
- 2.5 assists to only 1.7 TOs
- only 2.2 Fouls per game at 34+ mins per game

you don't usually see this from a lot of bigs and specifically rookie bigs, the fact that he can block/contest so many shots without having a high foul rate is incredible, also A/TO ratio is a huge + in terms of his ball skills and general BBIQ at this point, and 80% for a C is already in elite territory and a good indicator for long term shooting chops.

all same reasons why I was such a huge fan of Bol Bol as a prospect (free my mans Bol!!!)...I think high block rate to low foul is a huge indicator of defensive and general BBIQ imo.

this was a huge problem for JJJ as an example, and still is a problem for him (almost 5 fouls per 36).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,657

Post#42 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:22 pm

yoyoboy wrote:Credit to all the Mobley boys from pre-draft. We knew what we were seeing. 8-)

To be fair, it was pretty damn obvious just how good this guy was. I think if you weren't a fan of Mobley, it was because for some reason you already had made your mind up on him before watching him. I have a hard time understanding how someone could watch him play and think to themselves, "ya this guy wont be any good."

Ive said this a lot over the last year +, if you were to draw up the ideal big man in today's NBA, Mobley is pretty much it.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#43 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:28 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol wut

Read on Twitter

"zero ability to create his own shot"

"energy big"

"only a defender"

He drove by (quite easily) Mitchell friggin Robinson the poster child for what the quotes above claim Evan to be

the surface is itchy AF and Mobes is just scratching away.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:i think 3 huge indicators of long term elite level play for Mobley right now:

- 80% FT
- 2.5 assists to only 1.7 TOs
- only 2.2 Fouls per game at 34+ mins per game

you don't usually see this from a lot of bigs and specifically rookie bigs, the fact that he can block/contest so many shots without having a high foul rate is incredible, also A/TO ratio is a huge + in terms of his ball skills and general BBIQ at this point, and 80% for a C is already in elite territory and a good indicator for long term shooting chops.

all same reasons why I was such a huge fan of Bol Bol as a prospect (free my mans Bol!!!)...I think high block rate to low foul is a huge indicator of defensive and general BBIQ imo.

this was a huge problem for JJJ as an example, and still is a problem for him (almost 5 fouls per 36).

Gahbage minutes highlight mixtape is litty. Bol steady sending reminders that he needs to be in somebody's lineup rotation

but yeah Mobes is what we thought he would be with some extras on top. The tears around the league will flow when he adds the weight.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#45 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:37 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:Credit to all the Mobley boys from pre-draft. We knew what we were seeing. 8-)

To be fair, it was pretty damn obvious just how good this guy was. I think if you weren't a fan of Mobley, it was because for some reason you already had made your mind up on him before watching him. I have a hard time understanding how someone could watch him play and think to themselves, "ya this guy wont be any good."

Ive said this a lot over the last year +, if you were to draw up the ideal big man in today's NBA, Mobley is pretty much it.

I love this board bro. so much!!!

we need to start a scouts for hire panel and outsource what we do to some of these franchises.
Watch More Basketball

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#46 » by codydaze » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

I argued a fair bit about Mobley with someone on Kings reddit and one thing that kept getting brought up was his "high hips". :lol:

You could see the way he was able to move his feet and understood angles on defense was elite.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#47 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:43 am

Green is closer to 6'4" than he is 6'7". It really changes my opinion of him. Thinking he was 6'7" with the frame to put on major lbs I had his ceiling much higher. He's not the elite prospect I originally thought. Think Beal rather than Kobe.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#48 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:15 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:Green is closer to 6'4" than he is 6'7". It really changes my opinion of him. Thinking he was 6'7" with the frame to put on major lbs I had his ceiling much higher. He's not the elite prospect I originally thought. Think Beal rather than Kobe.

at no point in time was Green ever considered 6-7 by anyone, so not even sure where u ever got that one.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#49 » by DCasey91 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 am

Yeah Hyper Beal, Beal on Steroids, or if Beal was SS Green is SS3.

Cade is coming around which is where the numbers I’d expect from him. Still reckon he’s a sized SG that can facilitate and not an out and out big PG.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#50 » by God Squad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:35 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:26 am

the velociraptor might **** around and make the AS team his rookie year lol
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:35 am

clyde21 wrote:the velociraptor might **** around and make the AS team his rookie year lol

If he keeps up his playing level. It would be criminal if he doesn’t make the all star team and see his name on one of the All Defense teams.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 1, 2021 8:02 pm

Does it look like the game is slowing down to him to anyone else besides me? Looks a little quicker and still pretty much gets where he wants to in spite of the burst.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 8:24 pm

Marcus wrote:

Does it look like the game is slowing down to him to anyone else besides me? Looks a little quicker and still pretty much gets where he wants to in spite of the burst.

Highlights look good but I aint going to lie, I have watched I think 2 Detroit games this year haha. Im going out of my way to watch Cleveland games and enjoying watching Mobley. But ya not going to lie, I aint spending my free time watching Detroit, OKC, or Houston games. Dont have enough time for that haha.

But ya the highlights look good. People jump to conclusions way too quick with these rookies, lots of guys take awhile to get used to the speed of the game.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 1, 2021 8:33 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Highlights look good but I aint going to lie, I have watched I think 2 Detroit games this year haha. Im going out of my way to watch Cleveland games and enjoying watching Mobley. But ya not going to lie, I aint spending my free time watching Detroit, OKC, or Houston games. Dont have enough time for that haha.

But ya the highlights look good. People jump to conclusions way too quick with these rookies, lots of guys take awhile to get used to the speed of the game.

he's looked rushed offensively in some of the games i've watched. uncertain about role and job, not reading spacing well, and just plain inaccurate with his passing on occasion. BUT as the season has progressed and with time he's recognized his spots sooner, paced closer to what we saw at OK State. Defensively though, he's right at home. Energy has been up, spirits always high, and no lack of confidence in general.

It's gonna take time to get him to where folks will accept him for the number one pick but he may be able to pull it off.
Watch More Basketball

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#56 » by EvanZ » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:03 pm

As I expected Davion Mitchell was way overdrafted. His 3pt shooting last year was a mirage as many of us said it would be. And he's already 23. Kings should have taken Moody or Sengun.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:11 pm

that pick just didn't make sense, even if you're a Mitchell fan, they already had Hali and Fox.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#58 » by CptCrunch » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:01 pm

EvanZ wrote:As I expected Davion Mitchell was way overdrafted. His 3pt shooting last year was a mirage as many of us said it would be. And he's already 23. Kings should have taken Moody or Sengun.

Age is just a number for Sacramento.

They already had the same identical player in Buddy Hield, yet they try against in Mitchell.

Many posters here also have no issues with drafting old players like Sacramento.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#59 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:02 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
They already had the same identical player in Buddy Hield, yet they try against in Mitchell.

They are about as different as two players can be.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#60 » by CptCrunch » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:47 am

EvanZ wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

They are about as different as two players can be.

Only if you focus on some failed meta objective level drafting based on fit.

On a functional level in terms of positional archetype, both were 23 year old (22.8 for Mitchell) seniors with severely upside in the league taken way too early in the draft. Kings obviously do not believe in the age-developmental trajectory and all its related research.

The differences in their defensive projection pales in comparison to their commonalities in age, position and NBA position/role.

Return to NBA Draft