ImageImageImage

Sarver ESPN story

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Re: Sarver ESPN story 

Post#281 » by Slim Charless » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:03 pm

God. How funny would it be if Kaepernick is on the team that buys from Sarver?

Paul Gosar's head might explode like that dude in "Scanners"

PS: Not that I want Kaep to buy the team or be associated in any way. It would be funny though.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#282 » by cberry78 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:41 pm

Is anyone able to supply an example of a "clean" Roast? Just asking.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Post#283 » by King4Day » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:03 pm

The only issue I think is damning for him, in that roast, is the 'small t***' comment. Since it wasn't relevant to the guy they're memorializing.

Beyond that, he's just telling stories. IMO, beyond that comment, there's 'nothing to see here' regarding the other 9 minutes and 35 seconds of the video.
It was a tribute, a roast, and being offensive is the entire point.
I want Sarver gone as much as the next person but this is grasping at straws.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#284 » by Qwigglez » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:03 pm

That video does nothing. Need something concrete.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#285 » by matt131 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:45 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#286 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:19 am

matt131 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah, you knew he was making **** up that the majority would believe was actually said. This is what is scary about all this.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#287 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 am

I think some people are missing the point on the "threatening kids" part too.

Sarver's wife mentioned her own kids are being threatened (likely bullied or taking crap at school from all the other kids) based on what she thinks are false allegations.

When she says "Imagine that was your own kid" she isn't personally threatening them lol but trying to make them relate.

I'm not exactly sure what people thought she might be planning for someone's kids, but that wasn't the deal.

Dumb for her to reach out to people and looks really bad though even though she probably had good intentions of defending her husband.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#288 » by Slim Charless » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:I think some people are missing the point on the "threatening kids" part too.

Sarver's wife mentioned her own kids are being threatened (likely bullied or taking crap at school from all the other kids) based on what she thinks are false allegations.

When she says "Imagine that was your own kid" she isn't personally threatening them lol but trying to make them relate.

I'm not exactly sure what people thought she might be planning for someone's kids, but that wasn't the deal.

Dumb for her to reach out to people and looks really bad though even though she probably had good intentions of defending her husband.

:roll:
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#289 » by Bogyo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:I think some people are missing the point on the "threatening kids" part too.

Yep, I was (trying) to say in my previous post. I just think she is not the brightest bulb, and she didn't think how this would look like in the public eye. I think that this message coming from a person like Penny Sarver is not threatenig in generalin my opinion. What she gonna do? Hire a hitman to shoot me or my kids? Nah, that's just dumb... She is a bit like their kids in the situations Raja described - she doesn't know better, so she thinks this is OK, becouse she is "only trying to protect her children"... even if she is genuinely thinking that she should think about the consequences, and I think she is not fully capable of that.
And yes, there is a small chance she is doing this as a threat, but I don't think she would actually do anything. She could think - hey if this works, we can get out of this situation easier, if not I can say I'm trying to protect my children and I wouldn't threaten anybody. But I think she is not this smart, and also wouldn't even know how to begin to follow through with a threat being carried out...

(and I still want Sarver out)
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#290 » by Saberestar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:30 am

I agree.

I can't understand how someone can read that letter and think that she is threatening kids, obviously people see whatever they want to see.

It is like those jokes that Sarver has said and people are taking them like a bad behavior...come on, those are clearly jokes, probably not good or with some bad taste, but at the end of the day jokes with no bad intentions.

Whatever... I don't know the guy and he probably (or not) is a terrible boss, but these allegations are not strong enough to force him to sell the franchise IMO.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#291 » by MathiasPW » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:51 pm

1 week after the article and all that has surfaced is a video of him acting like a moron on a memorial and messages from his wife that McD, sorry, I mean an ex-employee, tried really hard to make look like a threat, when I think it's a pretty harmless, albeit ill-advised, attempt at fighting back.

No other victim has stepped forward. Not even more anonymous sources have popped up.

As time passes, the more it looks like the story had no legs to begin with.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#292 » by Barkley6 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm

I think it was more the "imagine that was your kid" and "I'm holding you personally responsible" comments in conjunction with that. I could see how that could be interpreted as a threat to someone's family.
Barkley6
Veteran

Post#293 » by Barkley6 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:26 pm

Saberestar wrote:

I agree.

I can't understand how someone can read that letter and think that she is threatening kids, obviously people see whatever they want to see.

It is like those jokes that Sarver has said and people are taking them like a bad behavior...come on, those are clearly jokes, probably not good or with some bad taste, but at the end of the day jokes with no bad intentions.

Whatever... I don't know the guy and he probably (or not) is a terrible boss, but these allegations are not strong enough to force him to sell the franchise IMO.

The problem with them being jokes is that in most workplaces, if someone had a history of making jokes and doing pranks of that nature, they would be spoken to by HR and told to cut it out, and likely fired if it continued. But since he's the literal owner...that won't happen. And as we saw because HR was toothless.

Generally speaking yes, most of these are inappropriate and off-color jokes, but the problem is that those things shouldn't make their way into the workplace. If he was saying or doing these things out for drinks with his buddies, no one would care. It's the fact that he doesn't seem to understand that this in inappropriate behavior for the workplace and creates a hostile environment.
Barkley6
Veteran

Post#294 » by Barkley6 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:30 pm

MathiasPW wrote:1 week after the article and all that has surfaced is a video of him acting like a moron on a memorial and messages from his wife that McD, sorry, I mean an ex-employee, tried really hard to make look like a threat, when I think it's a pretty harmless, albeit ill-advised, attempt at fighting back.

No other victim has stepped forward. Not even more anonymous sources have popped up.

70 people being interviewed for the story means it has legs.

Sarver admitted to publicly pantsing a young staffer. That in and of itself is enough to call into question if this workplace is being run appropriately.

We can debate whether or not the NBA investigation will yield anything that causes major changes in the franchise, but this is not a situation where we can say the allegations are false. There are 70 people confirming various allegations. Brendan Kleen on Locked On Suns recently said this week he independently confirmed with someone who worked for the Suns and was not interviewed for the ESPN article that Sarver made jokes about condom sizes. Which makes Sarver's denial of talking about condoms pretty cringe.

The story has legs. What we don't know is how far those legs will carry it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#295 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:32 pm

Barkley6 wrote:

I think it was more the "imagine that was your kid" and "I'm holding you personally responsible" comments in conjunction with that. I could see how that could be interpreted as a threat to someone's family.

This is speculation by me, but my guess is the person that said "I took it as a threat" was McD just kind of exacerbating things. Just a gut feeling. It was after the "bridges burned, etc".

Anyway, even if it was viewed as a threat by someone', I doubt they really felt their kids were threatened.

Not sure what people could would expect the threat is..in general..not even talking kids. But then especially when it comes to kids. I doubt anyone thought Penny was talking about putting out a hit on the kids.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#296 » by Slim Charless » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:33 pm

Barkley6 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:1 week after the article and all that has surfaced is a video of him acting like a moron on a memorial and messages from his wife that McD, sorry, I mean an ex-employee, tried really hard to make look like a threat, when I think it's a pretty harmless, albeit ill-advised, attempt at fighting back.

Sarver admitted to publicly pantsing a young staffer. That in and of itself is enough to call into question if this workplace is being run appropriately.

We can debate whether or not the NBA investigation will yield anything that causes major changes in the franchise, but this is not a situation where we can say the allegations are false. There are 70 people confirming various allegations. Brendan Kleen on Locked On Suns recently said this week he independently confirmed with someone who worked for the Suns and was not interviewed for the ESPN article that Sarver made jokes about condom sizes. Which makes Sarver's denial of talking about condoms pretty cringe.

"Those n-words need a n-word coach"
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#297 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:34 pm

Barkley6 wrote:

70 people were interviewed. That in no way, shape or form means that 70 people or even close to that many confirmed allegations. Heck, many of those interviewed backed him. It's in the story.

Many people have come out and said independently and said "I never saw anything like that" and most of those people are probably people who were interviewed and count towards that #.

I do think the story has legs. But I don't think it's likely as serious as most do, and I think when it comes to blatantly racist and sexist stuff it would determine what all you consider falls under that umbrella (ie - you treat everyone badly, but is treating one person badly racist if you treat others that way too?..)...I think he may have done some things that he wasn't aware might be perceived that way at the time...just being naive or childish.
Barkley6
Veteran

Post#298 » by Barkley6 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:

Incredible that anyone suited up after that comment came out. I wouldn't want to play for an owner who reportedly said that and I'm white.
Barkley6
Veteran

Post#299 » by Barkley6 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:

This is speculation by me, but my guess is the person that said "I took it as a threat" was McD just kind of exacerbating things. Just a gut feeling. It was after the "bridges burned, etc".

Anyway, even if it was viewed as a threat by someone', I doubt they really felt their kids were threatened.

Not sure what people could would expect the threat is..in general..not even talking kids. But then especially when it comes to kids. I doubt anyone thought Penny was talking about putting out a hit on the kids.

We don't know who those messages were sent to, but the idea of 'holding someone responsible' kind of implies some kind of action is going to be taken. I don't think anyone is going after anyone's kids. But the idea of holding someone responsible makes me ask the question...HOW are they intending to do that?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#300 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he said "They need a Black coach" as he felt he might better connect with them culturally and been an ex player, etc. I seriously doubt he walks around the office using the N word like that or we'd know for sure.

If he did say that, THAT would be in the article and not some thing about Draymond Green using it and Sarver bringing that up and saying "Why can Draymond use the N word and it's ok".

They wouldn't use something like that if they had a quote like the one you suggest.

But I know you will stop at no lengths not to twist things to make things sound much worse than they likely are for whatever reason.

I mean, we all want him gone..or at least most of us....but that's doubtful.

Return to Phoenix Suns