Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Re: Shams: Blazers opening investigation into Olshey for workplace misconduct 

Post#81 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Read on Twitter

hopefully, it's not an announcement he's staying as GM....but the guy has survived a ton of crap that would have seen most other GM's fired
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#82 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:56 pm

JRoy wrote:Push all the chips in or blow it up.

^^^^^

This. Do one or the other, I (and I think most everyone here) is tired of the C's/B's. Gimme an A or an F.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#83 » by JRoy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:13 pm

I could be wrong but I have an intuition that a big change is on deck.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#84 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:25 am

JRoy wrote:I could be wrong but I have an intuition that a big change is on deck.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards that this probably ending up as good news for Olshey. The fact that Jaynes got wind of this before anyone else leads me to believe that Olshey likely fed him that info... If he's getting canned or resigning, I can't imagine why Olshey would want Jaynes to leak that like he did.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#85 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:12 am

Mike Richman and Jason Quick are both pretty convinced Olshey is gone, and it will be sooner rather than later:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vbG9ja2Vkb25ibGF6ZXJz
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#86 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:21 am

Wizenheimer wrote:Mike Richman and Jason Quick are both pretty convinced Olshey is gone, and it will be sooner rather than later:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vbG9ja2Vkb25ibGF6ZXJz

Quick has been pretty all over that take since the beginning. He's gonna be on Primetime in 10min and I'm sure will discuss again. At this point, nothing will surprise me.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#87 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:Mike Richman and Jason Quick are both pretty convinced Olshey is gone, and it will be sooner rather than later:

Quick has been pretty all over that take since the beginning. He's gonna be on Primetime in 10min and I'm sure will discuss again. At this point, nothing will surprise me.

if you listen, let us know what he says

he did imply that he's heard things, just not substantial enough to file an official report. So obviously, what he's heard isn't good news for Olshey.

I'd wonder this (and I don't know if any of it is true): I heard that the first game this season Jody Allen attended was that last home win over the Lakers. I'd wonder if she came down to suggest it might be best if Olshey re-signed. He then refused. And then, right after that game we heard that the investigation had been expanded. Tin foil hat land for sure, but the timeline fits
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#88 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:39 am

Quick said that he knows there are “discussions in place” about what to do, but he didn’t know a timeline and hadn’t heard anything about Friday news. He reiterated that he thinks Olshey is done and basically said that a team wouldn’t hire a company like this unless their mind is made up. Said an investigation like this is more of dotting I’s and crossing T’s
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#89 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:40 am

Read on Twitter

I wonder if Olshey is prepping to step down? Gets to semi-save-face…

Hate agreeing with Jaynes on - anything - but can’t disagree with Ainge as the replacement.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,827

Post#90 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:48 am

Why would you want Ainge? Ainge held on to assets for years and watched deals slip through his fingers. You can't get upset at Olshey on one hand for holding onto CJ and refusing to trade him then want Ainge who historically did so as well, including wasting the opportunity to try to pair Kyrie (his big move) with another superstar talent.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#91 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:00 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Why would you want Ainge? Ainge held on to assets for years and watched deals slip through his fingers. You can't get upset at Olshey on one hand for holding onto CJ and refusing to trade him then want Ainge who historically did so as well, including wasting the opportunity to try to pair Kyrie (his big move) with another superstar talent.

No GM is perfect, you can pick apart GM's moves until you're blue in the face and that's helped even more by hindsight. He definitely missed on some potential moves he could have made with his assets, but he also did quite a bit with those assets as well. He was right to pass on Fultz for Tatum, he did get Irving at his peak coming off the championship with Bron (before it was super well known he was a nutcase) - didn't pan out but at the time it was getting a top 20 player for assets you traded for which is what everyone wants.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#92 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:31 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wonder if Olshey is prepping to step down? Gets to semi-save-face…

Hate agreeing with Jaynes on - anything - but can’t disagree with Ainge as the replacement.

well...am I misreading the 'fact' that if Jaynes is suggesting an Olshey replacement already he's pretty sure Olshey is going to be out of a job soon? I mean, it's hard to believe he'd be saying that if he knew Olshey was safe. I guess he could be catfishing anti-Olshey Blazer fans...like me

as for Ainge, he wouldn't be my first choice. But, 'he's certainly shown he's willing to make bold moves in the past and that's about the only type of moves that will give Dame a chance to play for a contender in Portland...

maybe he learned from mistakes and wouldn't try to extract a ridiculous price on trades. Blazers really need someone in charge who can make an objective assessment of player value. He wouldn't arrive with an obsessive passion for CJ...or for Dame either I'd imagine

Ainge also showed he was willing to tear down a championship team and start a full rebuild. Of course, he won't have a Billy King to give him a bazillion picks for aged out stars
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#93 » by PDXKnight » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:54 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:Why would you want Ainge? Ainge held on to assets for years and watched deals slip through his fingers. You can't get upset at Olshey on one hand for holding onto CJ and refusing to trade him then want Ainge who historically did so as well, including wasting the opportunity to try to pair Kyrie (his big move) with another superstar talent.

No GM is perfect, you can pick apart GM's moves until you're blue in the face and that's helped even more by hindsight. He definitely missed on some potential moves he could have made with his assets, but he also did quite a bit with those assets as well. He was right to pass on Fultz for Tatum, he did get Irving at his peak coming off the championship with Bron (before it was super well known he was a nutcase) - didn't pan out but at the time it was getting a top 20 player for assets you traded for which is what everyone wants.

Yeah especially as the portland trailblazers we cant afford to nitpick on a gm. Danny is a top 10 gm even with his drawbacks, I think he’d be a clear upgrade and he fits our current timeline as he clearly isn’t afraid to make a big move to improve a team (kg/ ray allen moves).
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#94 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Happy O-Day!
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#95 » by Case2012 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 pm

Does he get banned from city limits too???
Instagram: @casetwelve
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#96 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 pm

All I know is that Blazer Twitter is gonna run Dwight out of town if nothing happens today.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#97 » by JasonStern » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:56 pm

zzaj wrote:Also, how have we not had a Jason Stern mock Olshey in all caps with some [throws water bottle] and [kicks over trash can]s added for realness?

Look, I am not going to waste my time discussing baseless allegations. The Blazers organization, including Jody Allen who is a the greatest owner in sports, already released a statement regarding this.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#98 » by JasonStern » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:03 pm

Oden2 wrote:I did hear a story about ahmad rashad on sports radio where olshey not only stepped on ahmad’s shoe but he didn’t apologize and on top of that he continued walking towards rashad in an intimidating manner. Whatever caused him to do that i don’t know but seems like just a jerk move to not apologize for stepping on someone’s shoes. But to escalate it past that is pretty screwed up

This is the most random story ever. But I love Ahmad Rashād. Have never heard anyone say a bad word about him. So if he went out of his way to point out that Olshey stepped on his shoe and did not apologize, that is the Ned Flanders equivalent of an "eff that guy" tirade from someone like me.

Case2012 wrote:I'm just saying... All the signs are there. I have my biases, but I think it's pretty obvious the guy is a text book narcissist.

His lack of accountability and blame someone/something when things go wrong, tied with him patting himself on the back when things go right has been well documented. I don't think anyone other than Olshey himself has questioned his narcissism.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#100 » by DusterBuster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Man, that's a M. Night-level plot twist...

Read on Twitter

If this somehow ends up with Olshey taking over McGowan's spot, I'll be super annoyed but also somewhat darkly amused in that ... "Of course he found a way to get promoted out of all this mess" way.

This could be unrelated to the Olshey investigation for the most part and maybe this is the Blazer news Jaynes heard was coming today? I donno, this is all very strange and I'm confused at this point.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers