ImageImageImage

So what would your starting 5 look like?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

So what would your starting 5 look like? 

Post#1 » by Bnice5 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:36 pm

We all can see the current 5 is not working... if you were in charge, what would your starting 5 look like and why?

For me:

Luka <-- Certain in for all the obvious reasons (34-38 minutes)
THJ <-- Start him, but if he starts 0-5 sit him quick... he is fire or ice (30 - 34 minutes unless he is cold)
Ntilikina <-- The D he brings against best guards/wings is worth it. Can push the ball, can hit a 3 for now. Maybe he could develop more of a secondary creator role... Earned the opportunity (20-24 minutes)
KP <-- If he insists on playing the 4 it is what it is. He is best as a 5, but whatever, paired with Kleber I think it works with either at the 4/5. (30-34 minutes)
Kleber <-- (24-28 minutes) spaces floor, can handle playing a 5 on D

This is an extremely mobile starting 5, and Ntilikina is the only one that teams may leave open... I like him as a starter over DFS because of the need for a good guard defender... DFS can not keep up with guards. Luka and THJ can contend with the other wings. This also leaves the opportunity for a pretty interesting and energetic bench mob...

Brunson <-- stirs the pot
Brown <-- 3 and D
Bullock <-- 3 and D
DFS <-- D and maybe 3
Powell/WCS <-- depending on what you need more of (offense or defense)... or just go young and bring on Moses Brown

I can see that second unit coming in and locking down the other team and if the 3's fall they could explode... I think everyone on the 2nd unit gets somewhat exposed playing against ones.

What do you guys think?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Re: So what were your starting 5 look like? 

Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:16 pm

No matter what the starting 5, Dwight Powell and Willie Cauley-Stein shouldn’t be allowed 100 feet from it.

I’ll say Ntilikina-Luka-Hardaway-Porzingis-Brown is the most healthy mix of offense/defense and Brunson + Maxi + Finney-Smith would be best suited as 6-8th men
FIRE JASON KIDD
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#3 » by Maverick41 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:06 am

Brunson - to push the ball and provide a secondary ballhandler since the other 3 players definitely can't.
Luka - because it's Luka
DFS - to defend the best player on opposing team
Maxi - provide 3 & D
KP - Because he plays best at the C

THJ would be the first off the bench and still play 30 mpg.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:25 pm

Right now, I'd play Maxi and DFS exclusively at the 4, I'd bump either Ntilikina or Bullock tot he starting lineup.
Both Maxi and KP shouldn't bang with physical guys, both are injury prune, and in that case you need a physical center to do it, Powell isn't good enough, Right now, I'd seriously give 10 of KP's rest minutes from center position to Boban, at least you get a huge mismatch on offense, and actively pursue guys like Favors, Adams and even Kevon Looney to replace Powell/WCS.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,393

Post#5 » by gottamakeit » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:48 pm

Maverick41 wrote:Brunson - to push the ball and provide a secondary ballhandler since the other 3 players definitely can't.
Luka - because it's Luka
Maxi - provide 3 & D

I like you lineup. With just a little tweak.
Starting 5:
Brunson - To push the ball and sometimes initiate half-court sets
Bullock - 3&D. Would rather bring THJ off the bench as a 6th man because he can get off shots without assistance(the space created by others).
Luka - I want him to learn to play better off-ball. Perfect his catch and shoot mechanics. Screen for others and slip into the paint to generate looks for himself or others. Luka's ability to get into the paint (with a live dribble) has greatly diminished. Want to see what he can add to his game if he continues to play at this sluggish weight. Luka is taking his sweet time to get in the grove for game. Have him start, but pull him out first to get Brunson And Frank in the game together. In the first half of the game, I would play him more with the bench mob, because he can raise the floor of that group more than he can raise the ceiling of the starting group.
Maxi or DFS - Depends on the defensive matchup. If the other team is going small, go with DFS. If we need another big, then Maxi.
KP - The team does best when he plays center.

First off the bench:
THJ - Spark plug for the offence. I want to see a two-man game with him & Luka. I want to see Luka setting screens for THJ.
Frank N. - Get him in early for Luka. Luka has gotten off to slow starts so giving him the first breather is strategic. 3-man rotation between Brunson/Luka/Frank. Secondary creator role, with the ability to guard a wing.

The other rotation guys:
Maxi or DFS : the alternate gets minutes at the 4.
Dwight Powell : hopefully we don't need him for more than 20 minutes a game to give KP a breather.
Josh Green : Sterling Brown has been giving us nothing with his minutes. I'd rather see Josh get his minutes.
Boban : I'd like to see us force the ball down low to Boban more to create havoc.

Guys who shouldn't be getting minutes.
Willie Caulie-Stein: The guy doesn't put any effort when he's out there. Arms are down on defense, plays way to soft. He needs to show that he can earn minutes as opposed to be just gifted minutes.
Sterling Brown : He also needs to show that he can earn minutes as opposed to be just gifted minutes.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#6 » by Maverick41 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:50 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Brunson - to push the ball and provide a secondary ballhandler since the other 3 players definitely can't.
Luka - because it's Luka
Maxi - provide 3 & D

I like you lineup. With just a little tweak.
Starting 5:
Brunson - To push the ball and sometimes initiate half-court sets
Bullock - 3&D. Would rather bring THJ off the bench as a 6th man because he can get off shots without assistance(the space created by others).
Luka - I want him to learn to play better off-ball. Perfect his catch and shoot mechanics. Screen for others and slip into the paint to generate looks for himself or others. Luka's ability to get into the paint (with a live dribble) has greatly diminished. Want to see what he can add to his game if he continues to play at this sluggish weight. Luka is taking his sweet time to get in the grove for game. Have him start, but pull him out first to get Brunson And Frank in the game together. In the first half of the game, I would play him more with the bench mob, because he can raise the floor of that group more than he can raise the ceiling of the starting group.
Maxi or DFS - Depends on the defensive matchup. If the other team is going small, go with DFS. If we need another big, then Maxi.
KP - The team does best when he plays center.

First off the bench:
THJ - Spark plug for the offence. I want to see a two-man game with him & Luka. I want to see Luka setting screens for THJ.
Frank N. - Get him in early for Luka. Luka has gotten off to slow starts so giving him the first breather is strategic. 3-man rotation between Brunson/Luka/Frank. Secondary creator role, with the ability to guard a wing.

The other rotation guys:
Maxi or DFS : the alternate gets minutes at the 4.
Dwight Powell : hopefully we don't need him for more than 20 minutes a game to give KP a breather.
Josh Green : Sterling Brown has been giving us nothing with his minutes. I'd rather see Josh get his minutes.
Boban : I'd like to see us force the ball down low to Boban more to create havoc.

Guys who shouldn't be getting minutes.
Willie Caulie-Stein: The guy doesn't put any effort when he's out there. Arms are down on defense, plays way to soft. He needs to show that he can earn minutes as opposed to be just gifted minutes.
Sterling Brown : He also needs to show that he can earn minutes as opposed to be just gifted minutes.

I struggled with thinking of who to start between DFS or Bullock, but I like your reasoning.

I agree with everything you said. Good stuff!
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,980

Re: So what would your starting 5 look like? 

Post#7 » by Apz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:53 pm

Brunson shouldnt start. Think its better with frank that brings some of what brunson do but with good defense. Him and dfs should be able to handle starters on other team.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#8 » by jpengland » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:14 am

Brunson
Luka
Bullock
Maxi
KP

THJ first change for Brunson
DFS
WCS
Brown/Ntilikina

Spot minutes for Powell and Burke situationally

I'd be targeting another ball handler and a WCS upgrade with the TPE and spare guys
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Post#9 » by Forbes » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:35 pm

I must start with, we need to get better players but:

Luka
Brunson
Bullock
Maxi
KP

Luka
THJ
Bullock
Maxi
KP

Luka
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP

KP MUST play Center. You cannot have KP guarding anyone outside the paint, it destroys the our chances of having good defense.

Brunson starting next to Luka isn’t really what I want but it’s way better than the lineup they are putting out now. I’m not sure how Powell stays in the lineup but it’s mind boggling when things are very obvious. We just need better players.

We have too many bigs that are not really useable. Powell and WCS. Boban too but he’s useful in some games. These guy are taking up roster spots that could be used for for some 3 and D players. Although we barely have pieces to make the necessary trades.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by arkuo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:57 pm

Brunson
Doncic
Bullock
DFS
Porzingis
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#11 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Doncic
Bullock
Frank
Trade man
KP
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#12 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 pm

Trade man is a guy like T.Young
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#13 » by Maverick41 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:37 am

When Brunson is on the floor, Dallas scores an average of 114.4 points per 100 possessions - No. 1 in the league.

When Brunson is not on the floor? Dallas scores 92.5 points per 100 possessions ... which ranks last.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/.amp/news/mavs-contracts-dallas-deal-jalen-brunson-luka-doncic-salary-cap

The case for why Brunson should start.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#14 » by arkuo » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:06 am

Maverick41 wrote:
When Brunson is on the floor, Dallas scores an average of 114.4 points per 100 possessions - No. 1 in the league.

When Brunson is not on the floor? Dallas scores 92.5 points per 100 possessions ... which ranks last.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/.amp/news/mavs-contracts-dallas-deal-jalen-brunson-luka-doncic-salary-cap

The case for why Brunson should start.

Imagine that rating had Cuban landed Kyle Lowry and have him start instead of Brunson? I'd bet it even goes past 114.4 per 100.
gomavs
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#15 » by gomavs » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:21 am

Luka
Brunson
Ntilikina
Kleber
Boban

Return to Dallas Mavericks