ImageImageImage

RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Spurs (Friday, 8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,052

Re: RS 21/22 - Mavs @ Spurs (Friday, 8:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by Dirk » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:10 pm

leolozon wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Wow, you missed an assist fest from Luka to KP.

Yeah, seems like it was fun to watch.

What did they do differently? Play KP at center more? Put them in a pick and roll?

It's weird, because the Luka to KP connection is something that was expected since the trade and yet they've never quite found a way to make it work.

I still think that playing Powell at center isn't helping.

More likely than not... this was mainly a result of the Spurs being small/soft. And then KP looking to be inside and dive to the basket.

He had a couple of great finishes and Luka had a couple of nice assists.

We'll need to see KP & Luka combine like this more regularly to truly believe this is sustainable.
60/21/10
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#42 » by arkuo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:48 pm

That Powell at center thing has it's limitations. On one hand, it helps KP be fresh to handle some of the scoring load, on the other hand, Powell without the lobs is just useless. Just let his contract run out and throw the whole MLE at Robert Covington this summer. I remember Covington playing a lot of PF with James Harden back in Houston. The 3&D Power Forward would be perfect next to KP at center. You throw DFS + Bullock + Covington around Luka and you won't have a problem about defense.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#43 » by Apz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:54 pm

arkuo wrote:That Powell at center thing has it's limitations. On one hand, it helps KP be fresh to handle some of the scoring load, on the other hand, Powell without the lobs is just useless. Just let his contract run out and throw the whole MLE at Robert Covington this summer. I remember Covington playing a lot of PF with James Harden back in Houston. The 3&D Power Forward would be perfect next to KP at center. You throw DFS + Bullock + Covington around Luka and you won't have a problem about defense.

Roco lost it tho, he is not nearly as good as a few years ago. They srem pretty frustrated with him
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#44 » by fuller4379 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:10 am

The Mavs have paid Dwight Powell an awful lot of money for a scrub. By the time his contract runs out in 2023, he will have been gifted $70 million.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#45 » by Darren » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 pm

Watching Ntilikina play, I have to wonder what's wrong. Frank can hit open 3s on catch-n-shoot at 36% so far. But frank struggles to make layups. Missing 3 againist San Antonio. While Frank is a good defend, stay in front of offensive player and jump into passing lanes a lot, Frank seems to be foul prone if offensive players go deep in paint. Normally it's blocking foul. The upper body is not right. The passing is right. But too easy to read sometimes. This results in some unnecessary turnovers. On the bright side, those problems are just the strength of JJ Barea - converting layups, setting up teammates in traffic, drawing charges, defending in paint (I'm serious. Lebron can't beat Barea on post up in 2011 playoff. I expect a much better Ntilikina by playoff. Ntilikina is making leap offensively to 106 rating. But the WS is not right. It is just 0.2 and PER is just 11. But all signs are good enough to hope for. I'd take 18.5 PPG per 36 minutes. Unfortunately, Nilitinka shoots just 40% from 2P range. Anyway, that's similar no. to Devin Harris. Frank should dunk more often if layups are so hard to convert.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,400

Post#46 » by Mavrelous » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Darren wrote:Watching Ntilikina play, I have to wonder what's wrong. Frank can hit open 3s on catch-n-shoot at 36% so far. But frank struggles to make layups. Missing 3 againist San Antonio. While Frank is a good defend, stay in front of offensive player and jump into passing lanes a lot, Frank seems to be foul prone if offensive players go deep in paint. Normally it's blocking foul. The upper body is not right. The passing is right. But too easy to read sometimes. This results in some unnecessary turnovers. On the bright side, those problems are just the strength of JJ Barea - converting layups, setting up teammates in traffic, drawing charges, defending in paint (I'm serious. Lebron can't beat Barea on post up in 2011 playoff. I expect a much better Ntilikina by playoff. Ntilikina is making leap offensively to 106 rating. But the WS is not right. It is just 0.2 and PER is just 11. But all signs are good enough to hope for. I'd take 18.5 PPG per 36 minutes. Unfortunately, Nilitinka shoots just 40% from 2P range. Anyway, that's similar no. to Devin Harris. Frank should dunk more often if layups are so hard to convert.

He's not a PG, and he's not a natural scorer (no touch around the rim, we're just used to one of the best finishers below the rim in Brunson), he's 20 MPG secondary ball handler, and chase around screens solid defender, he just needs to develop consistent 3 pt shot and finish better (like you said, dunk more than layup).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#47 » by Apz » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:14 pm

Last game it looked like he just went too fast at layup attempts. Maybe luka brunson cN teach him to slow down those last steps. Remember somd yougubd video whfn didcussed, that layups is the hardest thing for those coming from college cause to gft to the position, u had to go so much faster and harder. Mighg be that almost being oug ox league jusg makes him go too hard at it. Confidencdin his spot should solvd it if so
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#48 » by boogiezen » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Once again, putting KP at center worked! They need to upgrade Powell's position (Aaron Gordon would have been perfect for this role), DFS position and THJ should go back to the bench.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)

Return to Dallas Mavericks