ImageImageImage

Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#1 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:53 am

The Celtics don't have Bird or even early Bird rights on Schroeder.

So, absent a shocking roster teardown, there's no way they could sign him past this season for more than MLE-ish money.*

Is there any plausible scenario in which he would accept that level of salary AND also be an important part of the Celtics future?

I haven't really thought of one.

*The two obvious options are giving him a small raise over this year's salary -- I think 20% is the cap -- or again using the MLE on him. I THINK the first of those options is in the CBA.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#2 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:12 am

I think bringing him back and him being an important part of the C's future are mutually exclusive.

If he plays well enough to be an impact player for us, he's going to end up on a different roster next year. If he's mediocre enough where we can still afford him, he might stick around, but he's not going to be an important piece for us. That's the rub.

Both sides know exactly what they're getting into here. It's a 1 year rental under the best case scenario.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,693

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#3 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:23 am

I see a trade exception in our future lol. How many teams have cap space for a sizeable offer?

Schroder back for MLE after Cs win a chip, ala Portis for the Bucks.

Edit: My bad. S&T is out of the question. No TPE for you, Brad.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#4 » by GoGreen » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 pm

I'd love him back, and I don't think it's crazy to think he could be back, either. Al isn't getting any younger, and he's on big money. Richardson and Smart trades could free up space. That said, I doubt the Cs do the latter.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,492

Post#5 » by playa-hater » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 pm

To Fencer's question, One possible way is the trading of Smart. Not predicting it will happen or should, but who knows if Boston swings a trade before the deadline and perhaps Smarts is involved.

Using a scenario that might cause it to happen is a serious injury to one of our 2 Bigs. Maybe Smart (decent tradeable contract) for the hypothetical bigger need may happen.

hence a future contract extension.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#6 » by ddb » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Never say never.....But In all likelihood Schroder is a true "rental" in Boston and builds up his value this year before signing elsewhere in the offseason. There are plenty of teams looking for a quality PG. On the flip side of that there's always the possibility of Schroder really liking Boston and wanting to stay here beyond this season. So we cannot completely count out the possibility of him remaining here beyond this season.
The other scenario I could see playing out is Boston flipping him in a trade later this season once he's rebuilt his value. He could be a great rental, or piece to a larger trade package.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#7 » by jmr07019 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:52 pm

The only thing I can see a Horford type situation. He enjoys his time in Boston. Gets paid by someone else and then is traded back here. That's a very loose definition of plausible though. It's a shame because he looks like a great fit so far.
Show Love Spread Love
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Post#9 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:49 pm

playa-hater wrote:To Fencer's question, One possible way is the trading of Smart. Not predicting it will happen or should, but who knows if Boston swings a trade before the deadline and perhaps Smarts is involved.

Using a scenario that might cause it to happen is a serious injury to one of our 2 Bigs. Maybe Smart (decent tradeable contract) for the hypothetical bigger need may happen.

hence a future contract extension.

Without checking, I doubt that would free up enough money.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#10 » by Red2 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:52 pm

He shows what we’ve been missing so if we dont re sign him we need someone like him. Smart isnt a true point guard
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#11 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:47 pm

No. If he plays well he will get paid elsewhere. If he plays badly the Celtics won't want him.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#12 » by 31to6 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:52 pm

I'm impressed with his ability to get into the paint, gives me Rondo flashbacks, or Bizzaro-German Rondo 'flash-sideways's
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,909

Post#13 » by Parliament10 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:02 pm

I'm not 100% sure how these Exceptions and Restrictions go.
But, I believe that we can offer him a Non-Bird Exception, at 120% of his previous salary, or $7,068,000 for a 2nd year.

That would give him 2 years. At which time we could offer him an Early-Bird Exception, at 175% of the previous year.
The catch is, that it has to be for at least 2 years, and not more than 4 years.

It gets complex with the Early Bird Exception.
As, he may have to be on the team for 4 years, as opposed to 3, before acquiring Full Bird Rights (or Exception).

Probably the Best Route, would be for Schröder to sign 3 separate, 1-yr contracts.
With only 120% of the previous year, as the ceiling for Raises, in the 2nd and 3rd year.

However, after 3 years, he'll have Full Bird Rights. Even though, they are 3 x 1 yr contracts.
At that point, we could off him up to the Max, I think? And for a 5 years, as well.

This would all be without using Cap Space. -- It's risky for both sides.
But, he's already signed 1 yr, and thus only needs 2 more, to acquire Full Bird Rights.

I think that with any other team, he'd have to start the clock again, so to speak.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#14 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:32 am

I guess if like 40-50 NBA players retire unexpectedly, most of which are point guards.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#15 » by scottyno » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:58 am

Sure, if both Tatum and Brown demand to be traded, but only to teams that can absorb them without sending any cap space back.

Otherwise no, with both the Jays under contract they'd have to gut the entire roster just to be able to bring him back on a reasonable salary, which wouldn't make any sense.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#16 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 am

God I hope not. Dude can have high usage/scoring games once in a blue moon because he's streaky or happens to have a very good match up like tonight with their length being terrible due to injuries but that doesn't mean he's a starting PG or viable long-term solution. Guys like him, Sexton, Brooks, and Clarkson are fool's gold.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,909

Post#17 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:27 pm

Read on Twitter
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#18 » by timpiker » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:36 pm

31to6 wrote:I'm impressed with his ability to get into the paint, gives me Rondo flashbacks, or Bizzaro-German Rondo 'flash-sideways's

Very good observation! Do we sign him long term. Depends on if we want to win or not.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#19 » by GoGreen » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Dennis fits so damn well. It would be a shame to let him go. Guys like that don't grow on trees. If you got something that works then you hold onto it in this league.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#20 » by celtxman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:01 pm

On the one hand, as Chris Mannix has been saying, this may be a season saving move, so no regrets. You need people who are good offensive players to supplant Tatum and Brown.
On the other hand there is no way he is staying IMO. He turned down 4 years $80 million, but if he continues playing well that type of offer or close to it will be available.
This whole situation is tough on fans. You get a flukey situation and get talent, but you have to factor in it's only likely a year and won't help in team building
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."

Return to Boston Celtics