Myles Turner

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Myles Turner 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:53 am

What would Indiana be looking for out of a Myles Turner trade?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,061

Re: Myles Turner 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:48 am

NYG wrote:What would Indiana be looking for out of a Myles Turner trade?

I genuinely don’t know that the front office would move him. But, we’re a relatively deep team, so it’d likely require an impactful starter coming back, rather than a picks and lesser player package.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#3 » by NYG » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:48 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I genuinely don’t know that the front office would move him. But, we’re a relatively deep team, so it’d likely require an impactful starter coming back, rather than a picks and lesser player package.

Is Sabonis any more or less available? In either case, describe the ideal impactful starter and which guys on the trade market best reflect it?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:22 am

NYG wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Is Sabonis any more or less available?

I mean, everyone in Indiana is theoretically available. There's no reports that they're looking at moving anyone right now. At the least, they sound like they're gonna give it a go until around the trade deadline and re-assess then.

In either case, describe the ideal impactful starter and which guys on the trade market best reflect it?

Uh, really hard to say. There's no one available on the trade market that really reflects it. Maybe Simmons, but that just keeps getting worse and worse and I'm not sure we'd want to be part of it. But an upgraded starter type player that clearly commands attention. The dreams are multi-positional guys that play both ways and are under team control a long-time. Like OG Anunoby or Scottie Barnes type players, though Toronto clearly isn't shopping either. Someone like Siakam isn't a great fit in that regard (and even Simmons is really tough) due to salary constraints of those guys making twice as much as the somewhat comparable guys we'd be sending out.

Otherwise, the lineup is flexible enough if Warren ever returns to health to move guys up or down a position in most any direction. We would NOT want another pure center back if we dealt one, as we still would have the other of Sabonis/Turner as well as Goga and Isaiah Jackson there, too.

I don't see Indy being on the market until closer to the deadline and we see what the real health situations are for this roster at that time.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#5 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:30 am

Who still thinks the Turner/Sabonis or 2 big lineup can create a consistent competitive advantage?
If the team did commit to moving one of Turner or Sabonis which one do you see as most expendable?

The second question has gotten much tougher for me. I personally think Myles has been the more impactful player. But, without getting another playmaking offensive player back in return it would be tough to trade Sabonis.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:38 am

8305 wrote:Who still thinks the Turner/Sabonis or 2 big lineup can create a consistent competitive advantage?
If the team did commit to moving one of Turner or Sabonis which one do you see as most expendable?

The second question has gotten much tougher for me. I personally think Myles has been the more impactful player. But, without getting another playmaking offensive player back in return it would be tough to trade Sabonis.

It's not so much that the Turner/Sabonis duo creates an advantage

The better question to ask is, what is the alternative?

You could try trading Myles for Jerami Grant, but is a Sabonis/Grant duo that much better?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
8305 wrote:Who still thinks the Turner/Sabonis or 2 big lineup can create a consistent competitive advantage?

You could try trading Myles for Jerami Grant, but is a Sabonis/Grant duo that much better?

Right. I think this is the big dilemma. Whom could we trade one of those guys for that would improve the team? There would just be a lot of hope on the idea that moving one, playing Warren or the other wing coming back (like Grant) at PF would provide a different look, and that a different look is all that is needed. Maybe, maybe not. Could be better. Could always be worse, too?
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:38 pm

Topofthekey wrote:

Good point. I think the chances Sabonis and Grant being an improvement are pretty good. But, it’s not a given.
Myles has this season and next left on his contract. Is it reasonable to be concerned that his value will begin to decline if we go beyond the trade deadline this year and no trade is made?
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:

Right. I think this is the big dilemma. Whom could we trade one of those guys for that would improve the team? There would just be a lot of hope on the idea that moving one, playing Warren or the other wing coming back (like Grant) at PF would provide a different look, and that a different look is all that is needed. Maybe, maybe not. Could be better. Could always be worse, too?

I’m not convinced Myles is the guy you trade.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:14 pm

8305 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:

Good point. I think the chances Sabonis and Grant being an improvement are pretty good. But, it’s not a given.
Myles has this season and next left on his contract. Is it reasonable to be concerned that his value will begin to decline if we go beyond the trade deadline this year and no trade is made?

Every player loses value when they only have their expiring year under contract. If we don’t trade Myles by the trade deadline, no matter how healthy or well he plays this season, he will inherently lose trade value on the market, simply by being expiring. This is why the Brogdon extension was huge for the Pacers. It gives the team the whole season to play Brogdon with this roster and hopefully getting Warren and Levert healthy for a run (I mean, a man can dream, right?), and still having more value to trade him this upcoming offseason if it has to be moved.

However, if Turner hits it off with Carlisle as he has been, it’s also VERY possible that he might be willing to extend his contract this summer, too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:15 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:It's not so much that the Turner/Sabonis duo creates an advantage

I’m not convinced Myles is the guy you trade.

No, I hear ya. The tough part is that both guy are really talented, but in very different ways. Keeping one of the guys instead of the other greatly changes the type of roster you’d want to build around them. It’s a tough situation.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#12 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:It's not so much that the Turner/Sabonis duo creates an advantage

Every player loses value when they only have their expiring year under contract. If we don’t trade Myles by the trade deadline, no matter how healthy or well he plays this season, he will inherently lose trade value on the market, simply by being expiring. This is why the Brogdon extension was huge for the Pacers. It gives the team the whole season to play Brogdon with this roster and hopefully getting Warren and Levert healthy for a run (I mean, a man can dream, right?), and still having more value to trade him this upcoming offseason if it has to be moved.

However, if Turner hits it off with Carlisle as he has been, it’s also VERY possible that he might be willing to extend his contract this summer, too.

Myles could be chasing a big contract. It could be the impetus behind his more aggressive playing style that we've seen so far this season

If that is the case, I think the fact that he's doing it this year when he still has one year left on his contract instead of next year when he's an impending FA is potentially a very good sign. It's probably a sign that he's looking to extend with the team, rather than looking for a new contract on the open market as an FA
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:

Myles could be chasing a big contract. It could be the impetus behind his more aggressive playing style that we've seen so far this season

If that is the case, I think the fact that he's doing it this year when he still has one year left on his contract instead of next year when he's an impending FA is potentially a very good sign. It's probably a sign that he's looking to extend with the team, rather than looking for a new contract on the open market as an FA

Myles would be eligible to extend in the summer for up to a 4 year deal and $96.8m total. I could see him maybe willing to wait out until free agency where he might get more, but locking in $24+m per for 4 more years could also be intriguing for him.
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:05 pm

If I’m Myles I’m waiting to be unrestricted. See if there is a better opportunity both financially and where he doesn’t have share center minutes with an all star caliber player. Move Domas and the dynamics of his thinking might be different.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 pm

8305 wrote:If I’m Myles I’m waiting to be unrestricted. See if there is a better opportunity both financially and where he doesn’t have share center minutes with an all star caliber player. Move Domas and the dynamics of his thinking might be different.

Oh, personally, I agree. I think ever player probably wants to be an unrestricted free agent in the prime of their career. Getting to choose the best spot for you, with multiple suitors, and the most money, while you’re still young and in demand, is likely a once or twice a career thing. Just, hypothetically, with Myles’ injury history, there’s a chance he locks in the sure thing with Indy if offered, and $24m per isn’t anything to sneeze at, either.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#16 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:48 am

Sabonis and Turner have long said they like playing together. Carlisle is making it work.

I really don't don't see a surplus player other than Lamb. maybe Goga if Jackson gets healthy and blossoms. expiring contracts do have value in trades if the other team has an expendable player on a longer contract, but we need Lambs contract dollars to spend elsewhere next summer.

Martin and Craig are earning minutes. Wannamaker has disappointed but he has no trade value.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:58 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:If I’m Myles I’m waiting to be unrestricted. See if there is a better opportunity both financially and where he doesn’t have share center minutes with an all star caliber player. Move Domas and the dynamics of his thinking might be different.

Oh, personally, I agree. I think ever player probably wants to be an unrestricted free agent in the prime of their career. Getting to choose the best spot for you, with multiple suitors, and the most money, while you’re still young and in demand, is likely a once or twice a career thing. Just, hypothetically, with Myles’ injury history, there’s a chance he locks in the sure thing with Indy if offered, and $24m per isn’t anything to sneeze at, either.

He’s seen first hand the $100 million mistake that Vic made. So oncd again not a given.
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:04 am

Wizop wrote:Sabonis and Turner have long said they like playing together. Carlisle is making it work.

I really don't don't see a surplus player other than Lamb. maybe Goga if Jackson gets healthy and blossoms. expiring contracts do have value in trades if the other team has an expendable player on a longer contract, but we need Lambs contract dollars to spend elsewhere next summer.

Martin and Craig are earning minutes. Wannamaker has disappointed but he has no trade value.

Sent from my phone.

I think Sabonis and Turner like and respect one another. The question is how they feel about being on the bench at crunch time when match ups dictate a quick lineup.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#19 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:10 am

8305 wrote:I think Sabonis and Turner like and respect one another. The question is how they feel about being on the bench at crunch time when match ups dictate a quick lineup.

winning solves that.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:54 am

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:I think Sabonis and Turner like and respect one another. The question is how they feel about being on the bench at crunch time when match ups dictate a quick lineup.

winning solves that.

Sent from my phone.

Generally, ego rules.

Return to Indiana Pacers