Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#561 » by Impuniti » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:20 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:
Upperclass wrote:His role is as the Jordan Bell Small ball center. He'll do fine there once he starts getting regular minutes

I don't think that Jordan Bell was ever allowed to handle the ball. Kuminga did that for some plays while Steph was on the court. This tells me (and when watching him it's obvious why) that the org has trust in the ability of JK. He will be only able to showcase that in spurts but it would be a waste to just have him catch lobs.

I think he did really well last game, those were some really promising signs that we will get some impactful rotation minutes from him this season. He adds something to that team that nobody else can.

Kerr already said his passing is quite good, so he will be handling it I think. As long as he doesn't turn into an iso chucker with massive TOs like he was doing in SL.

What impressed more than his dunks was defense. He actually looked like he belonged, which is crazy for a guy that just joined and has very little (overall) bball experience.
FloydWarrior
Junior
And1: 182

Post#562 » by FloydWarrior » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:40 pm

A wild Kuminga appears. Man, this guy is exciting to watch...he's got all the tools and just needs some of that Warriors seasoning to become a beast in a couple of years
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#563 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:51 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:

Great 1st step and body control. Guy's gonna be a monster once he's more experienced.

That lack of a 1st step was something that always killed me with Harrison Barnes ... they kept trying to teach it to him but he never really got it. It's one of those skills I think is a if-you-have-it-you-have-it-if-you-don't-you-won't skill.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#564 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Impuniti wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:
Upperclass wrote:His role is as the Jordan Bell Small ball center. He'll do fine there once he starts getting regular minutes

I don't think that Jordan Bell was ever allowed to handle the ball. Kuminga did that for some plays while Steph was on the court. This tells me (and when watching him it's obvious why) that the org has trust in the ability of JK. He will be only able to showcase that in spurts but it would be a waste to just have him catch lobs.

I think he did really well last game, those were some really promising signs that we will get some impactful rotation minutes from him this season. He adds something to that team that nobody else can.

Kerr already said his passing is quite good, so he will be handling it I think. As long as he doesn't turn into an iso chucker with massive TOs like he was doing in SL.

What impressed more than his dunks was defense. He actually looked like he belonged, which is crazy for a guy that just joined and has very little (overall) bball experience.

That defense is the key to minutes.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#565 » by WESCO » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Great minutes rook! I am curious to see if he can play the perimeter against smaller quick gaurds too.

He can be a game changer
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#566 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:30 pm

I liked his first half stint where he stayed with DeRoazan on several moves and forced him to pass.

He's going to have to defend and also hit those corner 3s at a high enough level or else they will back way off him to prevent those drives.

Being able to hit those 3s at a good enough rate is the difference between a 4 or 5 year second contract and getting prove-it deals.

Ask Stanley Johnson and Rodae Hollis Jefferson, both great physical/attletic profiles who found limited roles with the teams which drafted him but because of inability to hit 3s at a good enough efficiency limited their markets when they got off their rookie deals.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#567 » by and1GS » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:45 pm

WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great minutes rook! I am curious to see if he can play the perimeter against smaller quick gaurds too.

He can be a game changer

Noticed this too and it's great to see. Agree with the other poster - defense is his key to early minutes, offense is the key to getting a bigger share of those minutes. Him and Moses seem like such mature young men - a far cry from mercurial Anthony Randolph and Brandan 'The COD Hermit' Wright.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#568 » by DIO » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:29 am

WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter

super impressive
can't wait for JK vs KD :nod:
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#569 » by a8bil » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:37 am

WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter

He can be a game changer
now that's a highlight reel! Got a little bit of everything in that clip...perimeter defense, help defense, fast transition, great vision and passes and explosive dunks!
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#570 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:16 pm

and1GS wrote:
WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter

He can be a game changer

Noticed this too and it's great to see. Agree with the other poster - defense is his key to early minutes, offense is the key to getting a bigger share of those minutes. Him and Moses seem like such mature young men - a far cry from mercurial Anthony Randolph and Brandan 'The COD Hermit' Wright.

Brandan Wright was awesome for a time, he just couldn't stay healthy. I honestly think he should have been 6MOY a couple times.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#571 » by WarriorGM » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 am

Not really any positives from the game except that Kuminga looks like he's good next to Curry. Might be a seemingly small expected thing right now but big down the road.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#572 » by ClutchUp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:13 am

WarriorGM wrote:Not really any positives from the game except that Kuminga looks like he's good next to Curry. Might be a seemingly small expected thing right now but big down the road.

It's already pretty big Kerr trusts him to defend guys like Lamelo, Lavine and Derozan. I'm so glad Kerr added Kenny Atkinson to his staff to work with Kuminga.

BTW the strip on Bridges was pretty crazy. Lightening quick hands that surprised Bridges under the rim.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#573 » by DIO » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:56 am

high praise from DPOY

“He was incredible in his minutes tonight,” Draymond Green said of Kuminga. “I think those minutes will continue to grow, if he continues to play that way. And I have no doubt in my mind that he will. He’ll get smarter and he’ll figure more stuff out as he continues to play.”
“I have no doubt in my mind that he can check just about anybody. He has the size, has the strength, has the quickness, has the length. Everything you want in a defender, he has.”

“He’s active and he’s athletic,” coach Steve Kerr said. “What I like about him more than anything is that he defends without fouling. He doesn’t reach; a lot of rookies will reach and try to make spectacular plays. He really trusts his athleticism and strength. He made a real impact in his minutes.”
“We’re going to keep putting him on the best players because he’s got the physicality and the speed and athleticism to do that,” Kerr said. “He’s really got a chance to be special defensively.”
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/jonathan-kuminga-already-capable-bolstering-warriors-rotation
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#574 » by HiRez » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:00 am

Kuminga is so much more effective and playable when he’s going downhill and attacking the tim instead of chucking from the perimeter.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,711

Post#575 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:19 am

So excited to see more Kuminga, looks like a future all-star. He just needs to keep asserting himself inside and playing defense and it will happen.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#576 » by vagelis » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:33 am

22/Jul/21 I wrote

vagelis wrote:If Kuminga is available at 7 spot Warriors should take him.
If Warriors can trade Wiseman+14+Poole for Evan Mobley, they should do it.
But I think Warriors will trade #7 in the draft day.

I think that Kuminga was the right pick at 7.
He is long, athletic and strong.
He reminds me a little bit of young Iguodala but he is not there yet
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#577 » by GswStorm3 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:11 am

DIO wrote:high praise from DPOY

“He was incredible in his minutes tonight,” Draymond Green said of Kuminga. “I think those minutes will continue to grow, if he continues to play that way. And I have no doubt in my mind that he will. He’ll get smarter and he’ll figure more stuff out as he continues to play.”
“I have no doubt in my mind that he can check just about anybody. He has the size, has the strength, has the quickness, has the length. Everything you want in a defender, he has.”

“He’s active and he’s athletic,” coach Steve Kerr said. “What I like about him more than anything is that he defends without fouling. He doesn’t reach; a lot of rookies will reach and try to make spectacular plays. He really trusts his athleticism and strength. He made a real impact in his minutes.”
“We’re going to keep putting him on the best players because he’s got the physicality and the speed and athleticism to do that,” Kerr said. “He’s really got a chance to be special defensively.”
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/jonathan-kuminga-already-capable-bolstering-warriors-rotation

Really happy with this roster. Between GP2, Wigs and an emerging Kuminga that's going to buy Klay plenty of time to slowly ramp up on the defensive end when he returns.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#578 » by watch1958 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am

Despite the 1/3, I think the FTs will come along. One thing I noticed in his G-League games last year was that he’d start a game 0/3 or 0/4 from the line, then hit his last 6 or 7 in a row.

Also, the 1 shot FT rule in the G-League made it hard to get a feel for it.

I think with some polish on mechanics and a bit of coaching on the mental aspect, his FTs will be 75-80% soon
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#579 » by superunknown » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:18 am

kid was impressive yesterday on the defensive end. he has quick feet which, coupled with his size and strength, gives him a solid base to build on in the path to DPOY :D
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#580 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Kuminga is what an impressive rookie looks like. Younger than Wiseman coming in. Coming off an injury. And still looks great. He's ramping up incredibly quickly. I'm hard to impress, but yeah, Kuminga looks like a real one.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors