ImageImageImage

NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#61 » by Manocad » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:11 pm

vic wrote:Cade & Mobley were all always 1A/1B for me.

Franz Wagner was in my top 7.... looks like I should have had Franz even higher

Franz was my top choice for second round steal only because he was projected to go in the top 10 but a lot of people here thought that was a huge reach. As of right now it sure doesn't look like a reach at all. Who knows--maybe HE'LL win ROY.
Manocad
RealGM

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#62 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:37 am

Hmm...Jalen Green had 9 points tonight on 3-9 (0-5 from 3), 3 TO's and was -11. Yep, he's EXACTLY what the Pistons needed. Take away his 24 point game on 60% shooting and he's been putrid.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#63 » by The Moose » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:44 am

vic wrote:Cade & Mobley were all always 1A/1B for me.

Franz Wagner was in my top 7.... looks like I should have had Franz even higher

agreed, I had Mobley and Cade in their own tier at the top and I also had Wagner at #5, good sized 2 way wings are always important and hard to find.

Looks like I was a little low on Barnes though, he's looking pretty incredible for someone who was thought to be raw offensively
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#64 » by DetroitSho » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:42 am

Manocad wrote:Hmm...Jalen Green had 9 points tonight on 3-9 (0-5 from 3), 3 TO's and was -11. Yep, he's EXACTLY what the Pistons needed. Take away his 24 point game on 60% shooting and he's been putrid.
I haven't had a chance to watch him yet. I'm pretty surprised that he's so terrible right now. Especially having the green light he has.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#65 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:18 am

Scottie Barnes is probably #1 this early on in ROY rankings
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#66 » by mattao313 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 4:16 pm

I watched Green last night he was pretty terrible on defense Poole was just abusing him. Hopefully he will be guarding Cade next game lol.

He's also just a jump shooter so far im guessing the handle is too basic to get to the paint consistently.

Mobley is looking good just looking at stats I wasn't that high on him, but I hope that doesn't come biting us in the ass in the future.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#67 » by DBC10 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 4:31 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Scottie Barnes is probably #1 this early on in ROY rankings

Either him or Mobley. I under-rated Mobley quite a bit but his defense is all star level already and his offense is coming along. It's really a treat to watch him and Allen wreak havoc on that end. The two tower defense is back honestly, judging from these early return of games
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#68 » by Sort » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:32 pm

I haven't actually seen Barnes - he missed the one game I watched Toronto play, but Mobley delights already. The potential difference though between a player like Mobley and Cade is leadership. I suspect once Cade gets more in shape and in sync with his teammates he'll start putting up some numbers and Pistons will win a few more games, but Mobley is checking every other box surprisingly early. Still, I don't think teams are game planning for him yet, and that will change.

I am super curious to see if Cleveland falls back down to the bottom of the conference. Every year they seem to flash in the proverbial pan and then bow out. Allen could easily get hurt again. Mobley could get bulldozed by the rookie wall. Sexton could be even more Sexton.

Then again they could finally trade Love and Sexton and avoid injuries and Mobley keeps getting better and better....
mattao313
General Manager

Post#69 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:50 am

Mobley is looking like that guy we may have missed on yikes. He was in my top 3 but i didn't think he'd be this good. Hope it won't bite us in the ass not picking him.

Championships
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#70 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Mobley coming into the league already a top defender in the NBA. He has a real shot at 2nd team all-defense this season and is a player I can see winning multiple DPOY. Plus he's pretty polished on offense shooting the ball, catching lobs, dribbling, passing, etc. He obviously still has a ways to go but overall has looked better on both sides of the floor than any of the other top 5 picks.

I still think Cade ends up being a top 3 player from this draft class and an all-star in this league, but its hard to not be a bit bummed about missing out on Mobley with as good as he has looked to start this season and his impact is already leading to wins for the Cavs.
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,043

Post#71 » by JLiv » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:11 pm

I might be in the minority here but I won’t be laying in bed nine years from now thinking we should’ve taken someone other than Cade or Green. This board would have been in shambles if we took Barnes or Mobley (although most people would have eventually gotten over it with Mobley). As long as Cade becomes the player we think he’ll be, there’s no need to feel like we drafted the wrong guy.

Think about the 2018 draft. The top 5 was:

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Jackson Jr
Young

Every team hopes they end up with the Luka of the draft, but the draft is nothing but a crapshoot. The Suns shouldn’t be blamed for passing on Doncic, even if they end up not retaining Ayton. Is he not the guy they, and plenty of other teams, believed was the #1 pick? You can’t call him a bust, he proved to be instrumental in a finals run and is a great player. He’s more or less what they hoped he’d be. Looking at the 2018 top 5, the only team that should feel bad about its pick is The Kings. Bagley is the only guy that’s not progressing and hasn’t shown anything.

Even if Josh Giddey turns into the freaking GOAT, and Scottie Barnes is the new Kawhi, Mobley is a healthy AD, and Cade Cunningham only turns into a Middleton type, that’s not on Troy Weaver or us for being ‘uninformed’ or ‘dumb’ regarding the other players! The draft is a crap shoot.

I was a frequent reader here in 2015 when we were split between Stanley J and Justise W. Both busted. There used to be arguments about KCP, McLemore, or Burke. In that situation we chose the right guy. Unless you wanna act like you had knowledge no one else had, and knew Giannis would be Giannis instead of a Bruno Caboclo.

Cade Cunningham missed training camp and all of preseason and has played in seven NBA games total. Boys thought Killian Hayes would never learn to shoot, now he’s shooting 43.3% from 3 over these 12 games. He’s blossoming right before our eyes, even though a majority of the fan base counted him out. He’s progressing even though the general board has called him out for being ‘trash’ multiple times. Cade will fix the turnover issue and take smarter shots soon enough. Just be patient. Admiring Mobley’s and Barnes’ first 1/7th of an NBA season is fine - we’re basketball fans. They could very well prove to be better players than Cade. But you’ll run yourself crazy feeling sad about players none of us wanted with the #1 pick.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#72 » by DetroitSho » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:45 pm

JLiv wrote:I might be in the minority here but I won’t be laying in bed nine years from now thinking we should’ve taken someone other than Cade or Green. This board would have been in shambles if we took Barnes or Mobley (although most people would have eventually gotten over it with Mobley). As long as Cade becomes the player we think he’ll be, there’s no need to feel like we drafted the wrong guy.

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Jackson Jr
Young

Every team hopes they end up with the Luka of the draft, but the draft is nothing but a crapshoot. The Suns shouldn’t be blamed for passing on Doncic, even if they end up not retaining Ayton. Is he not the guy they, and plenty of other teams, believed was the #1 pick? You can’t call him a bust, he proved to be instrumental in a finals run and is a great player. He’s more or less what they hoped he’d be. Looking at the 2018 top 5, the only team that should feel bad about its pick is The Kings. Bagley is the only guy that’s not progressing and hasn’t shown anything.

Even if Josh Giddey turns into the freaking GOAT, and Scottie Barnes is the new Kawhi, Mobley is a healthy AD, and Cade Cunningham only turns into a Middleton type, that’s not on Troy Weaver or us for being ‘uninformed’ or ‘dumb’ regarding the other players! The draft is a crap shoot.

I was a frequent reader here in 2015 when we were split between Stanley J and Justise W. Both busted. There used to be arguments about KCP, McLemore, or Burke. In that situation we chose the right guy. Unless you wanna act like you had knowledge no one else had, and knew Giannis would be Giannis instead of a Bruno Caboclo.

Cade Cunningham missed training camp and all of preseason and has played in seven NBA games total. Boys thought Killian Hayes would never learn to shoot, now he’s shooting 43.3% from 3 over these 12 games. He’s blossoming right before our eyes, even though a majority of the fan base counted him out. He’s progressing even though the general board has called him out for being ‘trash’ multiple times. Cade will fix the turnover issue and take smarter shots soon enough. Just be patient. Admiring Mobley’s and Barnes’ first 1/7th of an NBA season is fine - we’re basketball fans. They could very well prove to be better players than Cade. But you’ll run yourself crazy feeling sad about players none of us wanted with the #1 pick.
When I say everybody reading this post should be giving you a standing O right now. Great post.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#73 » by FloridaMan78 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:42 pm

No doubt Mobley is a beast. But finding a guy that can close out games is pretty awesome. Cade was pretty much shut down by Barnes all night and when winning time came Cade came through. And it’s not just his attitude, it’s his skill. His ability to counter an aggressive defender is so valuable. He went right against Anunoby and powered it over him. Next play down he goes right crossed him left and finished with his left. So clutch. I know people want him doing it all game, I’m happy he does it when it matters most. Screw the stats, he wins games.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#74 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:01 pm

mattao313 wrote:Mobley is looking like that guy we may have missed on yikes. He was in my top 3 but i didn't think he'd be this good. Hope it won't bite us in the ass not picking him.

Captain Hindsight, is that you?
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#75 » by EliteSmarts » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:53 pm

JLiv wrote:I might be in the minority here but I won’t be laying in bed nine years from now thinking we should’ve taken someone other than Cade or Green. This board would have been in shambles if we took Barnes or Mobley (although most people would have eventually gotten over it with Mobley). As long as Cade becomes the player we think he’ll be, there’s no need to feel like we drafted the wrong guy.

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Jackson Jr
Young

I understand your perpsective and I actually agree with it. You and fellow Pistons fans should be happy if Cade Cunningham becomes All-NBA level

But me personally and I know decent amount of people in RGM as well, thought Luka Doncic was clear #1 overall pick and was generational prospect in terms of Zion 2019, AD 2012, KD & Oden 2007 (Oden coming out of Ohio State was Generational, injuries ruined him) 2007 and LeBron in 2003.

This is what Luka was doing in EuroLeague as a teenager
Dončić won the EuroLeague MVP award, being its youngest winner, after averaging 16 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 4.3 assists per game over 33 EuroLeague games and leading the league in PIR. He also repeated as the EuroLeague Rising Star, becoming the third back-to-back winner.

It was obvious to me & alot of people that Luka was generational and Phoenix and SacTown have no excuses making those picks, and Atlanta as well for that matter.

2021 Draft is def strong but to me, they're wasn't clear cut #1 guy, instead Tier 1 of prospects of Cade, Green, Mobley & Suggs. (And Barnes was tier 1 prospect to front offices, I believe Magic would of taken Barnes if Suggs went to the Raptors at 4.)
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#76 » by EliteSmarts » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:56 pm

FloridaMan78 wrote:No doubt Mobley is a beast. But finding a guy that can close out games is pretty awesome. Cade was pretty much shut down by Barnes all night and when winning time came Cade came through. And it’s not just his attitude, it’s his skill. His ability to counter an aggressive defender is so valuable. He went right against Anunoby and powered it over him. Next play down he goes right crossed him left and finished with his left. So clutch. I know people want him doing it all game, I’m happy he does it when it matters most. Screw the stats, he wins games.

This draft class is fun to watch man! Cade Cunningham is a baller !
Manocad
RealGM

Post#77 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:12 pm

EliteSmarts wrote:

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Jackson Jr
Young

I understand your perpsective and I actually agree with it. You and fellow Pistons fans should be happy if Cade Cunningham becomes All-NBA level

But me personally and I know decent amount of people in RGM as well, thought Luka Doncic was clear #1 overall pick and was generational prospect in terms of Zion 2019, AD 2012, KD & Oden 2007 (Oden coming out of Ohio State was Generational, injuries ruined him) 2007 and LeBron in 2003.

Dončić won the EuroLeague MVP award, being its youngest winner, after averaging 16 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 4.3 assists per game over 33 EuroLeague games and leading the league in PIR. He also repeated as the EuroLeague Rising Star, becoming the third back-to-back winner.

It was obvious to me & alot of people that Luka was generational and Phoenix and SacTown have no excuses making those picks, and Atlanta as well for that matter.

2021 Draft is def strong but to me, they're wasn't clear cut #1 guy, instead Tier 1 of prospects of Cade, Green, Mobley & Suggs. (And Barnes was tier 1 prospect to front offices, I believe Magic would of taken Barnes if Suggs went to the Raptors at 4.)

Other than Andrei Kirilenko, Luka is the only Euroleague MVP to have an NBA career of any note whatsoever. And I'm not saying that after evaluating Luka from a scouting standpoint your point isn't valid, only that the fact he was the Euroleague MVP doesn't carry much weight in the grand scheme.
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,043

Post#78 » by JLiv » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:23 pm

EliteSmarts wrote:

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Jackson Jr
Young

After looking through 2018 draft discussions, many did think Doncic was the best prospect. However, the forum mock draft of the time voted like this:

1. Phoenix - DeAndre Ayton
2. Sacramento - Luka Doncic
3. Atlanta - Marvin Bagley
4. Memphis - Michael Porter
5. Dallas - Mohamed Bamba
6. Orlando - Trae Young
7. Chicago - Jaren Jackson Jr.
8. Cleveland - Mikal Bridges
9. New York - Miles Bridges
10. Philadelphia - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

It seems obvious now Luka should’ve been the guy, but it also seemed obvious at the time that Bagley was a top 5 guy. Some bust, some are better than expected. It’s all part of the game :)
mattao313
General Manager

Post#79 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:21 pm

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Mobley is looking like that guy we may have missed on yikes. He was in my top 3 but i didn't think he'd be this good. Hope it won't bite us in the ass not picking him.

How?

Championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#80 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:

How?

By definition, hindsight is understanding of a situation or event only after it has happened or developed. Thus if Mobley turns out better than expected it's hindsight to call not drafting him a mistake.

And there's no way for it to "bite us in the ass." The draft is over. There's no way to know if the Pistons would ultimately be a better team with Cade or with Mobley. Cade has shown enough already that even if he goes on to have a journeyman career and Mobley goes on to be a perennial All Star, no one is going to look back in 10 years and say "Man, the Pistons really messed that one up."

Return to Detroit Pistons