ImageImageImageImageImage

Realistic upgrades at C?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: Realistic upgrades at C? 

Post#141 » by Psubs » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:03 pm

Harry Giles?
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,053

Post#142 » by HumbleRen » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Indeed wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:We have 3 modern NBA starting calibre centres
Pascal, OG and Scottie

OG doesn't rebound, Pascal doesn't play physical and Scottie gets lost on pick and rolls and over helps. Were getting exploited every night.

This is what I see as well.
And during transition, none of them picked up Stewart last game, as they all are more perimeter defenders.

I think when the game slowed down at closing time, this would be fine with having a Siakam-Barnes-OG lineup, but it does not seem to work throughout the whole game.

And if anything Achiuwa and Birch indicated with their injuries, it is just a matter of time we risk our scorers to miss some games.

Knock on wood but OG and FVV have only played more than 70 games once in their career as well. We need a legitimate 5 to play atleast 60% of the time.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#143 » by VanWest82 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Why would we upgrade anyone right now? Birch has been fine and seems totally worth his contract. His knee will heal. Precious needs time and we've won his mins with the starters.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#144 » by Indeed » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:11 pm

CoinTossRoss31 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:
Backcountry wrote:If Masai can find a 6'10" to 7'+ guy who can guard 1-5, has a 7'4" wingspan minimum, can sprint the floor on 36 minutes per game and can break LeBron's ankles with his crossover, then I'm sure he'd try to get him. Otherwise it's just difficult to find someone who fits our system.

Okay, maybe he doesn't have to do ALL those things, but he's got to fit our system. Even Ibaka would be too slow these days to keep up with these guys, with his health problems.

Kai Jones

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I was also a fan of Kai Jones and wanted him to be one of our picks if we originally traded down from 7. But I feel like if Masai really wanted him they wouldve made a play to get him at the draft?

Funny looking back how when we were picking at 7 we were saying the Giddey rumor was a smokescreen. Now with him impressing it makes sense that he probably wouldve been our pick if Barnes/Mobley were off the board

I was also a fan of Kai Jones and wanted him to be one of our picks before the lottery, where our worst case is #7 or #8 (or less than 2% chance of #9). But he is not 7'4 wingspan (only 7'2), and he is pretty much Achiuwa with Boucher IQ.

I wonder if we were interested in Queta. Although not as quick as a forward, but measured pretty good for a C on lane agility test.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,591

Post#145 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:28 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Why would we upgrade anyone right now? Birch has been fine and seems totally worth his contract. His knee will heal. Precious needs time and we've won his mins with the starters.

Because it's inevitable those 2 will miss games. teams carry 3 centers, we should too.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#146 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Pascal, OG and Scottie

Not one of them is best used to guard Embiid, Vuc, or even Mitchell Robinson, Stewart of Detroit, Williams of Boston. Our 3 are forwards, all would be wasted and worn out guarding bigger guys in the paint.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#147 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Best way to acquire a center is either gonna be free agency or draft.. There's no trades i can see that are gonna help us at C without giving up too much.. just gonna have to ride it out. It's not like we're championship contenders. no rush.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#148 » by VanWest82 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:45 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Why would we upgrade anyone right now? Birch has been fine and seems totally worth his contract. His knee will heal. Precious needs time and we've won his mins with the starters.

Because it's inevitable those 2 will miss games. teams carry 3 centers, we should too.

Boucher is our 3rd big just like the last two years. He's coming back from injury and it hasn't been pretty but perhaps it's worth being patient with him for another few weeks.

Also, we are clearly interested in experimenting with the OG/Scottie/Pascal front court. Figuring that out might even be our #1 priority this year because of the implications if it doesn't work.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#149 » by hype_2004 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:32 pm

flaco wrote:
everdiso wrote:Dragic+ for Horford.

Celtics fan here. How about

Horford+++ for Siakam?

or

Timelord+++ for Siakam?

Feel free to include pick(s) as well.

How you get out of this forum you damn troll.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,857

Post#150 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Turner and Porzingis. It'd have to be around the deadline though, and both teams (as well as both players) would have to be struggling for a deal to happen.

Interestingly enough both Dallas and Indiana need some PG help.

Need Dragic, Boucher, Flynn to play well over their heads & up their trade value then maybe we can convince Dallas to do Dragic + Boucher + Flynn + protected 1st for Porzingis
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#151 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:44 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Turner and Porzingis. It'd have to be around the deadline though, and both teams (as well as both players) would have to be struggling for a deal to happen.

Need Dragic, Boucher, Flynn to play well over their heads & up their trade value then maybe we can convince Dallas to do Dragic + Boucher + Flynn + protected 1st for Porzingis

Porzingis injury prone, probably not meant to be a C, more a PF, where we got better ones that can switch.
I am not sure Turner is available.

Anyway, it is always hard to find a high-end role player at C, as their cost for being a role player are hard to justify.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,857

Post#152 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:25 am

Indeed wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Turner and Porzingis. It'd have to be around the deadline though, and both teams (as well as both players) would have to be struggling for a deal to happen.

Porzingis injury prone, probably not meant to be a C, more a PF, where we got better ones that can switch.
I am not sure Turner is available.

Anyway, it is always hard to find a high-end role player at C, as their cost for being a role player are hard to justify.

Yeah we have very limited options atm. We'll probably just have to stick with Birch and Achiuwa for now.
The Brook Lopez from the past few seasons would be a tremendous fit on this squad.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#153 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:32 am

Pistons interested in Bagley, should we be? I know he moved out of the Kings' rotation but Raps are good at reclamation projects. Kings were a bad organization for him to come into, could our vaunted development system help?
_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#154 » by _MidNight_ » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:03 am

Should have convinced Ibou Badji to stay in the draft. That kid would have been exactly what we needed.

We could always go after Neemias Queta, it's not like Sacramento is doing anything with him.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,660

Post#155 » by ConSarnit » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:24 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Pascal, OG and Scottie

Not one of them is best used to guard Embiid, Vuc, or even Mitchell Robinson, Stewart of Detroit, Williams of Boston. Our 3 are forwards, all would be wasted and worn out guarding bigger guys in the paint.

All 3 of those guys will do a better job than any 3rd center we’d acquire. If we pick up a guy with the intent of having him guard the bigger C’s he’ll likely be a net negative everywhere else and if that’s the case why bother?

What team has even a decent 3rd string C? And if we’re down to playing our 3rd string C major minutes we’re already probably screwed. If Boucher can improve his play to last years level he’ll be way more impactful than guys like Giles or Bagley (both are pretty terrible).
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,710

Post#156 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Pascal, OG and Scottie

I disagree, Did OG not shut him down last year when he played the five? I know he gave Jokic problems. And the sixers have their own problems getting deep in the playoffs.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,782

Post#157 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:40 am

flaco wrote:
everdiso wrote:Dragic+ for Horford.

Celtics fan here. How about

Horford+++ for Siakam?

or

Timelord+++ for Siakam?

Feel free to include pick(s) as well.

You have a player who controls time? If all the other players are in slow motion that player would have an extreme advantage.

After a demonstration of this skill, I think a deal could be had.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,782

Post#158 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:45 am

Bonga looks like something in the G-league, but he's not going to perform against bigger bodies. Did Raptors make a mistake getting rid of Ish Wainwright? He had the strength to go up against the big guys and he could sink the three.

We don't necessarily need a 7 footer, but we need a player who can withstand the pounding game in and game out. Pascal is not that guy. He became very frustrated when asked to perform that role last year. Barnes needs to go to the bench and we need a guy to withstand the pounding, play defense and sink the three.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#159 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:02 am

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:Best way to acquire a center is either gonna be free agency or draft.. There's no trades i can see that are gonna help us at C without giving up too much.. just gonna have to ride it out. It's not like we're championship contenders. no rush.

The point being made in this thread is that there is a rush. Our smaller, lighter Cs are already starting to be hit with injuries. And when they miss time, that's more time that OG, Barnes and Pascal have to spend in the low post meat grinder.

But I don't see anything happening until the buyout market after the trade deadline. Unless Dragic to Dallas materializes - he really is the perfect complement to Luka's ball dominant style - someone will really have to love Malachi and want to trade for him.

Or for a nice piece, Gary after the restriction is lifted. Then we can put OG as the starting 2-guard, with Svi backing him up. Gary and his contract seem very tradeable, but who needs him who is willing to give up a big. I'm a big fan of Mo Bamba, but the last thing Orlando needs is a guard like Trent.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,253

Post#160 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:03 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Pistons interested in Bagley, should we be? I know he moved out of the Kings' rotation but Raps are good at reclamation projects. Kings were a bad organization for him to come into, could our vaunted development system help?

He's not really a true C either though. I know we've been linked to him before but he's fairly lean and below average wingspan, better suited as a PF. Don't really see how he helps much with a bigger C.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to Toronto Raptors