ImageImageImage

NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#81 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Why wouldn't it bite us in the ass Mobley had a chance at going #1 Weaver obviously didn't think Cade was consensus #1.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#82 » by DetroitSho » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:55 pm

mattao313 wrote:Why wouldn't it bite us in the ass Mobley had a chance at going #1 Weaver obviously didn't think Cade was consensus #1.

WTF? He drafted him. What more do you want?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#83 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:03 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Why wouldn't it bite us in the ass Mobley had a chance at going #1 Weaver obviously didn't think Cade was consensus #1.

Apparently he knows that Weaver thought Mobley was the best pick but took Cade anyway. Which of course makes no sense whatsoever other than to support his narrative.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#84 » by mattao313 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Manocad wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Apparently he knows that Weaver thought Mobley was the best pick but took Cade anyway. Which of course makes no sense whatsoever other than to support his narrative.
What he considered Mobley as a potential #1 guy so it could bite him in the ass. Idk why thats hard to understand lol.

Championships
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#85 » by 440BB » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:58 pm

Thinking Jalen Green might bite Weaver in the ass if he got the chance.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#86 » by tmorgan » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:14 pm

You can’t judge any rookie playing badly this early, but Jalen Green is looking a lot more like JR Smith than I expected.

Not a compliment.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#87 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:42 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:WTF? He drafted him. What more do you want?

What he considered Mobley as a potential #1 guy so it could bite him in the ass. Idk why thats hard to understand lol.

Again, Weaver had the #1 pick and took Cade. I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that obviously he wanted Cade with the #1 pick. If he had wanted Mobley he would have just taken Mobley. By your logic every team who picked a player who was outshined by another player picked later in the draft got "bit in the ass." And that's just plain silly. As has been stated, the draft is a crapshoot for the most part. But I'll humor you for a minute--define "bit in the ass." There's no way you to justify that the Pistons would have been better-served by taking Mobley so like I said, there is no "bit in the ass." If Mobley works out to be a better player than Cade and the Cavs win a championship before the Pistons do, that's life. It happens. That doesn't mean the Pistons would have won a championship sooner had they drafted Mobley.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#88 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:43 pm

tmorgan wrote:You can’t judge any rookie playing badly this early, but Jalen Green is looking a lot more like JR Smith than I expected.

Not a compliment.

Which should shock absolutely no one given his attitude.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#89 » by MotownMadness » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#90 » by Southern Piston » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:44 pm

I think Cade is. Different type of player that his numbers may not pop for a while, but there not gonna be bad. He does a lot that doesn’t go on the stat line too. There’s slot of growth going on in Detroit at one time, I think he becomes a bigger star when all the pieces get secure in there own position, then of course he finds his shot. But I think he’s definitely clutch, and I think he’s kinda the superstar teammate too but it’s way too early to tell. I think they will be arguing about this for years, but ultimately Cade will win it out.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#91 » by Pharaoh » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:20 am

To gloat a bit: I was high on Barnes but didn't expect this. Also didn't expect him to go top 4.

Once we got #1 it was basically Cade and him alone though.

Mobley has been impressive. Green not so much but that might have more to do with his own weaknesses that were well known prior to the Draft.

Green lacks vision, handles and has a limited offensive repertoire. He's relatively easy to defend in the half court, especially on that Rockets team.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#92 » by MotownMadness » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:48 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Manocad
RealGM

Post#93 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:58 am

Pharaoh wrote:To gloat a bit: I was high on Barnes but didn't expect this. Also didn't expect him to go top 4.

Once we got #1 it was basically Cade and him alone though.

Mobley has been impressive. Green not so much but that might have more to do with his own weaknesses that were well known prior to the Draft.

Green lacks vision, handles and has a limited offensive repertoire. He's relatively easy to defend in the half court, especially on that Rockets team.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app

Mobley went 0-11 tonight with 1 point and 3 TO's.

They're all going to have good games and bad games.
Tecmo
Senior
And1: 219

Post#94 » by Tecmo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Stats are obviously going to matter when the season is complete and it's time to award a ROY, but if the current trends hold true I think Cade brings home the award. The writers will respect Cade's professionalism and style of ball. Look at the MVP last season. Jokic earned it with his play, but he also benefitted because the writers respected him actually playing ball and not sitting out games.

Cade is going to gain respect from those voting on the award. That plus his good numbers gives him a chance to earn it over Green or anyone else.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#95 » by Manocad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:39 pm

Titan77 wrote:Stats are obviously going to matter when the season is complete and it's time to award a ROY, but if the current trends hold true I think Cade brings home the award. The writers will respect Cade's professionalism and style of ball. Look at the MVP last season. Jokic earned it with his play, but he also benefitted because the writers respected him actually playing ball and not sitting out games.

Cade is going to gain respect from those voting on the award. That plus his good numbers gives him a chance to earn it over Green or anyone else.

Absolutely.

To put it in proper perspective, here are the current averages:

Cade
GP Min Pts FG% 3pt% Reb Ast Stl Blk
8 30.0 13.4 34.8 27.6 5.5 3.6 1.0 0.4

Green
14 31.9 13.9 36.0 27.4 3.4 2.6 0.7 0.3

Mobley
15 33.7 14.6 49.4 30.8 8.0 2.5 1.0 1.5

Barnes
13 35.5 16.3 51.2 18.2 8.3 2.8 1.0 0.6

Now, certainly both Mobley and Barnes have a jump on the FG% and rebounds too, but the boards can be justified as just a function of their front court positions. I don't think anyone can look at these stats and make a clear distinction of "definitely impressive/front runner for ROY" and "not impressive at all/not gonna be ROY." That being said, Barnes' games have been pretty consistent with his averages. Mobley and Green are the same other than a couple of flyers in both directions. Cade on the other hand started slow but has really turned it on in his last four games. Point being he has as much opportunity, if not more, to be a ROY front runner if he keeps it up, especially considering the role he plays with the team as you alluded to.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#96 » by Billl » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:59 pm

I'm really surprised Green isn't getting more shots up. I was expecting him to be super high volume (but low efficiency) right out of the gate. He's down at #62 in terms of attempts. It's probably not helping him that houston is second to only us in fewest FGA's per game. Both teams really need to pick up the pace.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#97 » by NYPiston » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:19 pm

Titan77 wrote:Stats are obviously going to matter when the season is complete and it's time to award a ROY, but if the current trends hold true I think Cade brings home the award. The writers will respect Cade's professionalism and style of ball. Look at the MVP last season. Jokic earned it with his play, but he also benefitted because the writers respected him actually playing ball and not sitting out games.

Barnes right now is the favorite, the pretty clear favorite I'd say now that Mobley is injured, but obviously 10 or so games in means virtually nothing. If the current trends hold, I think Barnes gets it although Cade is a on a pretty steep upward trajectory.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#98 » by Sort » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:02 pm

Long run, you have to give an edge to Cade due to the fact he will have the ball in his hands. On a bad night, he can still net 20, but Mobley - for all his fantastic skill sets - is dependent on stellar guard play and having Allen there defensively. I don't know if Rubio will continue like this and if Allen goes out for a month, Mobley might get a lot more exposed.

Barnes, Mobley, Cade...impressive rookies no matter which way you shake it.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,020

Post#99 » by bstein14 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Mobley is having the biggest impact on winning and the defensive end of the floor as a rookie, BUT I agree Cade still has a really decent chance at the honor because of his usage rate and Detroit pretty much being all in on his success as a player. He won't be as efficient or as good as Mobley defensively this year but he does have a decent chance to have more PPG which is usually pretty big in determining ROY.

Return to Detroit Pistons