ImageImageImage

Woj: Ime Udoka Named Head Coach

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,526

Re: Woj: Ime Udoka Named Head Coach 

Post#341 » by bisme37 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:36 pm

I like him but don't love him yet. But he's new and it was always going to be a learning process. Being on a Head Coach's staff is not the same as being a Head Coach.

I kinda wish he'd take more responsibility for himself rather than the subtle digs at his players though. The players all say they want accountability but I think it would land better if he took some for himself as well.

We were down 3 main players last night so the rotations were going to be less than ideal. But when you fail to score for 5+ minutes and the other team erases a large deficit, it's probably time to call a timeout and put better players on the floor.

And I'd like to see him give JT more of a leash to be himself. I feel like JT is out there wondering if he's going to get in trouble rather than just playing instinctively and freely. And it's got him in a major funk right now. Tough love can be effective but sometimes guys just need some regular love.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#342 » by TommyPointGawd » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm

bisme37 wrote:I like him but don't love him yet. But he's new and it was always going to be a learning process. Being on a Head Coach's staff is not the same as being a Head Coach.

I kinda wish he'd take more responsibility for himself rather than the subtle digs at his players though. The players all say they want accountability but I think it would land better if he took some for himself as well.

We were down 3 main players last night so the rotations were going to be less than ideal. But when you fail to score for 5+ minutes and the other team erases a large deficit, it's probably time to call a timeout and put better players on the floor.

And I'd like to see him give JT more of a leash to be himself. I feel like JT is out there wondering if he's going to get in trouble rather than just playing instinctively and freely. And it's got him in a major funk right now. Tough love can be effective but sometimes guys just need some regular love.

How would you suggest he do this?
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#343 » by Parliament10 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:10 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,675

Post#344 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:18 am

FIRE DANNY!!! (For hiring Brad who then hired Ime)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#345 » by 31to6 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:53 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:FIRE DANNY!!! (For hiring Brad who then hired Ime)

my friend, do not stop there.
FIRE ML CARR! FOR NOT GETTING MICHAEL JORDAN HERE DURING HIS 1ST RETIRMENT!

also
hire Rick Pitino again
then fire him and dump his pasta sauce all over him
JUST BECAUSE!

also
STOP PLATE TECTONICS!
I DON'T WANT TO GO TO ASIA!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#346 » by jfs1000d » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:42 am

This guy is lost.

Brad needs to fire him and come out of the office and take over. This is not good offensive design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#347 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 am

The guy is lost. I had doubts about him, but I thought that because of the years that he has as an assistant, he'd have more of a clear vision as to what he wants to do as a coach or what he would do with this roster. He doesn't. He's lucky it's not last year's squad, at least this year added Horford and Schroeder and both of em have proven to be very valueable more so than any other guy on our bench last year.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#348 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 am

jfs1000d wrote:This guy is lost.

Brad needs to fire him and come out of the office and take over. This is not good offensive design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started my post with the same sentence. Just saw yours. :lol:
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,674

Post#349 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

The Popovich/Ime ".5" approach is seemingly being interpreted as "If you can't find a good pass to make in the first half-second you have the ball, then you should shoot in place or go iso".

That feels fixable.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#350 » by RondoToKG » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:05 pm

Something is off about him.. I can't tell if it's because he's green or what
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,674

Post#351 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:42 pm

What one writer heard in a couple of interviews is that Ime is flipping the switch to focus more on fixing the offense.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/11/16/22784522/boston-celtics-offense-struggles-defense-dominates-cleveland-cavaliers-ime-udoka-jayson-tatum
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,675

Post#352 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:38 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:• For someone who announced to the whole world that he wants more ball movement (even jokingly mocked team's assist % under Stevens last season), the Celtics are sitting second in frequency in isolation scoring possessions (below average in efficiency) behind BKN who have Durant and Harden? The biggest culprits have been Tatum (went from 18.6% to 24.4% in frequency) and Schroder (doubled his frequency from previous season). Both are currently below average in efficiency. I'll try to be patient to see if he can coach the bad habits out of our main scorers, but he's off to a bad start in that regard.

Read on Twitter
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#353 » by GoGreen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm

These guys are playing good D. Offense sucks because the roster is filled with crap. I can't blame Ime. He's not the Xs and Os guy Brad was, but he's not bad imo.

Unfortunately, Pritchard and Nesmith have not flashed like they had in SL. That's a huge issue. Smarts shooting is an all time low. Tough to get assists when you're passing to guys that are gonna shoot bricks.

I just go back to Danny. His drafts and pick hoarding absolutely killed us. If this is a .500 team, it's prob best to sell high on Dennis and Al at the deadline. Trade Marcus and get off that ugly contract. Get some assets in return.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,847

Post#354 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:55 pm

GoGreen wrote:These guys are playing good D. Offense sucks because the roster is filled with crap. I can't blame Ime. He's not the Xs and Os guy Brad was, but he's not bad imo.

Unfortunately, Pritchard and Nesmith have not flashed like they had in SL. That's a huge issue. Smarts shooting is an all time low. Tough to get assists when you're passing to guys that are gonna shoot bricks.

I just go back to Danny. His drafts and pick hoarding absolutely killed us. If this is a .500 team, it's prob best to sell high on Dennis and Al at the deadline. Trade Marcus and get off that ugly contract. Get some assets in return.

Giving a shooter between 5 and 9 minutes a game sprinkled with DNP-cd and 2 shots in said games played is not going to get a shooter going.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#355 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:22 pm

31to6 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:FIRE DANNY!!! (For hiring Brad who then hired Ime)

my friend, do not stop there.
FIRE ML CARR! FOR NOT GETTING MICHAEL JORDAN HERE DURING HIS 1ST RETIRMENT!

also
hire Rick Pitino again
then fire him and dump his pasta sauce all over him
JUST BECAUSE!

also
STOP PLATE TECTONICS!
I DON'T WANT TO GO TO ASIA!

LOL best post I've seen on here in quite some time.

thank you for keeping it light and fun, at a time when 90% of celtics fans are dummies who think the sky is falling and think we should just tank the rest of the season.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#356 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:34 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:The guy is lost. I had doubts about him, but I thought that because of the years that he has as an assistant, he'd have more of a clear vision as to what he wants to do as a coach or what he would do with this roster. He doesn't. He's lucky it's not last year's squad, at least this year added Horford and Schroeder and both of em have proven to be very valueable more so than any other guy on our bench last year.

This post just looks like every other one on here, Facebook or Twitter where fans say "Ime sucks" or "Ime looks lost" without giving any real insight into what specifically he has done wrong or what specifically they would do differently. This one and the others are fluff posts.

This is Udoka's coaching philosophy:

I think for the most part the team has embodied that philosophy. Maybe not to a tee, but we're also only 15 games in and generally it takes longer than that for a team to fully embrace a new coach's philosophy and system.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#357 » by GoGreen » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
GoGreen wrote:These guys are playing good D. Offense sucks because the roster is filled with crap. I can't blame Ime. He's not the Xs and Os guy Brad was, but he's not bad imo.

Giving a shooter between 5 and 9 minutes a game sprinkled with DNP-cd and 2 shots in said games played is not going to get a shooter going.

We gotta be honest. Anytime Nesmith and Pritchard are out there they look utterly lost. Nesmith more so. If they can't impact the game in any other way when their shot isn't going down, they're a liability.

Would I like to see Nesmith more? Sure, but there's prob a reason these guys aren't out there that much. They're prob just not that good.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,847

Post#358 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:27 pm

GoGreen wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

We gotta be honest. Anytime Nesmith and Pritchard are out there they look utterly lost. Nesmith more so. If they can't impact the game in any other way when their shot isn't going down, they're a liability.

Would I like to see Nesmith more? Sure, but there's prob a reason these guys aren't out there that much. They're prob just not that good.

i agree on pritch but not on nesmith.

nesmith is one of the few constant cutters on offense, but play call force him to sit on the baseline 3pt. i think with w few more minutes and allowances on the court he would excel, as he did in playoffs and last of season last year
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#359 » by captain green » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:50 pm

Well we have him for at least two years minimum. I'm not impressed he has what Brad didn't temperament but everything else Stevens has him beat . Imo he is using a system of pop and he doesn't have the right pieces to do that but hasn't figured that out yet. His x,and o's are way disappointing as of now. So we're stuck with him hope he figures it out otherwise we're in purgatory.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#360 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:13 pm

Hal14 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:The guy is lost. I had doubts about him, but I thought that because of the years that he has as an assistant, he'd have more of a clear vision as to what he wants to do as a coach or what he would do with this roster. He doesn't. He's lucky it's not last year's squad, at least this year added Horford and Schroeder and both of em have proven to be very valueable more so than any other guy on our bench last year.

This post just looks like every other one on here, Facebook or Twitter where fans say "Ime sucks" or "Ime looks lost" without giving any real insight into what specifically he has done wrong or what specifically they would do differently. This one and the others are fluff posts.

This is Udoka's coaching philosophy:

I think for the most part the team has embodied that philosophy. Maybe not to a tee, but we're also only 15 games in and generally it takes longer than that for a team to fully embrace a new coach's philosophy and system.

I can tell you what he doesn't do right:

The offense looks more stale than last year.
Our offense is in fact worse than last year with better players- just by adding Horford and Schroeder to the team, we're more stacked than we've been since Gordon left.
We had better offense at least imo last year with a shot Kemba and Jaylen's bad knee.
Our defense is good, but I kinda think it has A Lot more to do with Horford than Udoka- ie see our defensive stats when Horford was last here and his on/off plus Bobby has improved and if they try both Brown and Tatum are close to elite defenders(both have been slacking on offense last year or so).

The guy has done 0, I can spew the same cliche bull he has. Does that make me a good coach, too and what kind of argument is that, you're not using a coaching video instead an interview?
Good assessment:

Return to Boston Celtics