ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,815

Re: Offseason Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread Take 2 

Post#381 » by 8516knicks » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:20 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:The only way I'd take Ben Simmons as a Knick is if the Sixers buy him out (obviously not going to happen) or if they are willing to take a salary dump package consisting of Nerlens Noel, Alec Burks and whatever none talent attached contracts that would make this work to mitigate the clear and obvious risk that this could turn out to be an albatross of a disaster in NY (and that's also unlikely to ever happen with Morey). No way would I include any assets (Randle, RJ, Obi, draft picks, Rose, etc.) So no, I don't see any chance within reason he'll be a Knick. I'm all for taking a chance and eggs in one basket and all that, but that doesn't mean Ben Simmons is worth taking a chance on.

This is not about shooting (or just about shooting). It's about living up to the need, role and expectations and the impact of said contract to what this team will and won't be able to do. The Knicks need is a no.1 option. The role is someone that can carry the offense when it stalls and when the opposing teams ratchet up their defense (what happens when you play better teams and in the playoffs). The expectations is to be able to have that guy be the face of the franchise to carry them further into the playoffs. Their need that Simmons would have to fill. Why? Contract? Simmons is owed 4 years and $145 million on his contract. That's $37 million a year for the next 4 years (or roughly $10 million more a year than Randle will be owed). That Contract forces him to be the "superstar" or (better star) to replace Randle with that would push them further in the playoffs. To which, when you factor what happened in the playoffs with the Sixers (where he had problems being the no.3 option) and what is happening now in Philly with Simmons and not being able to handle criticism and pressure, this is much much much more than Simmons not being able to shoot.

He can't do any of those things the Knicks need most and his contract is going to put a bigger chokehold on what this team can or can't do. This is true for any other team that doesn't have the luxury of capspace, throwaway players, etc. that can actually be wiling to take a risk on Simmons as basically a REALLY REALLY expensive role player. I can guarantee you that the Celtics is not offering any of their top players or assets and they've been really the only team that has been reported being willing to take on Simmons. No Tatum, No Brown, No Robert Wililams, No Marcus Smart, etc. And you guys want to include Randle? Just because he's not Lebron James and can't carry this team beyond where they are at doesn't mean that the guy should be traded.

There seems to be this notion that if you can find someone that can pass and defend (even if you have to trade your current no.1 option for) that it somehow can make this team something serious come playoff time. Really not sure where that is coming from. You need talent to win. You need a bonafide superstar on the offensive side to win. All the great team work in the world isn't going to change that if your best offensive player is a tossup between a guy that may not even be a no.2 option on any other playoff team (RJ) or that just simply cannot be expected to do so (Rose). You can have the passing version of Magic Johnson and that still won't be enough if you don't have the big dog. You guys are trying to find a secret recipe that somehow no other front office has found? Let me put it in a different way. IF Ben Simmons was the type of impact guy for this team that you guys apparently feel then he'd also be the impact guy for A LOT of other teams and he'd no longer be in Philly OR the Sixers would have won the championship already.

There's a reason why the trade market for Simmons can be summarized by this right now:

As a sound minded GM you can't possibly not see 4 years and $145 million of current Ben Simmons as an absolute huge risk that, if you actually include any significant asset, can also not only be a job killer but a potential career killer.

If the Knicks want Simmons and for whatever unknown reason think they can turn him around and he can actually handle being in NY then you do what Danny Ainge is doing and you put on the salary dump offer and look to basically just keep ahead of Ainge in whatever little additions to make. Knicks have more draft picks to offer than Boston so you just need to be ahead of Boston so that in the unlikely case where Morey decides that he needs to get off his high horse (of expectations) and take the best offer available that it's yours.

It's like the skits about lions. You don't need to be the fastest gazelle on the planet, you just need to be faster than the next guy.

Thank you for this. I’d go even further: Simmons wouldn’t improve most NBA teams. In part It’s his shooting, in part his contract and in part it’s his perplexingly arrogant crybaby attitude.

Yes, he's a genuine TRIPLE threat!
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#382 » by SuperflyKnick » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 pm

If the Knicks were smart Leon would realize he needs to cash on Randle now. Something like

NY- Simmons, Filler
POR- Randle, Kemba, Knox
PHI- CJ, PKS, Filler

Run with a lineup of Simmons at PG but guarding SF, and inserting Quick as defecto PG because of his shooting and moving RJ to his natural position where he can use his size to his advantage. This also allows Grimes into the rotation

Mitch, Noel
Obi, Taj
Simmons, Burks
RJ, Grimes
Quick, Rose

Defense, quick pace and ball movement would be amazing with this unit even if we lose 3pt shooting.
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#383 » by dukeknicksirish » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:
dukeknicksirish wrote:What would it take to make our team look like:

Murray
RJ
Grant
Randle
Mitch

?

I would be down with

Murray
RJ
Grant
Randle
Noel

w/Obi, Quick, Rose and Gibson off the bench....

But are Mitch and picks enough to get Grant and Murray? If not, would you give up Obi for Grant and IQ for Murray?

You're going to have to give up a lot more than that.

Id assume for Grant it would be Burks, Obi and a 1st for Grant and Murray would cost IQ , 1st and something else
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#384 » by Richard4444 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:26 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:If the Knicks were smart Leon would realize he needs to cash on Randle now. Something like

NY- Simmons, Filler
POR- Randle, Kemba, Knox
PHI- CJ, PKS, Filler

Run with a lineup of Simmons at PG but guarding SF, and inserting Quick as defecto PG because of his shooting and moving RJ to his natural position where he can use his size to his advantage. This also allows Grimes into the rotation

Mitch, Noel
Obi, Taj
Simmons, Burks
RJ, Grimes
Quick, Rose

Defense, quick pace and ball movement would be amazing with this unit even if we lose 3pt shooting.

Mitch, Obi and Simmons together would be hell. Zero spacing. I would rather get last year team with Payton in the starting unit.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,718

Post#385 » by spree8 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:52 pm

If I could Professor X Leon at the deadline….

•Julius Randle
•Davion Mitchell, Marvin Bagley

•RJ Barrett, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, 23’ DAL 1st
•DeAndre Ayton, Mikal Bridges

OR

•Julius Randle, Mitchell Robinson, Alec Burks, 23’ DAL 1st

•RJ Barrett
•Davion Mitchell, 22’ 1st round pick swap

Davion Mitchell | Derrick Rose | Deuce McBride
Evan Fournier | Immanuel Quickley
Mikal Bridges | Alec Burks | Quentin Grimes
Obi Toppin | Marvin Bagley
DeAndre Ayton | Nerlens Noel | Taj Gibson | Jericho Sims

OR

Mikal Bridges | Quentin Grimes
Obi Toppin | Kevin Knox

I’d cut Kemba n let him go to BK or something. If not, he’s 3rd string.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,033

Post#386 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 pm

spree8 wrote:If I could Professor X Leon at the deadline….

•Julius Randle
•Davion Mitchell, Marvin Bagley

•RJ Barrett, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, 23’ DAL 1st

OR

•Julius Randle, Mitchell Robinson, Alec Burks, 23’ DAL 1st

•RJ Barrett
•Davion Mitchell, 22’ 1st round pick swap

Mikal Bridges | Alec Burks | Quentin Grimes
Obi Toppin | Marvin Bagley

OR

Mikal Bridges | Quentin Grimes
Obi Toppin | Kevin Knox

I’d cut Kemba n let him go to BK or something. If not, he’s 3rd string.

Trading Randle for Ayton is something i like a lot
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#387 » by sol537 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Randle + Mitch for Ayton + Crowder

Ayton + Obi + RJ + Grimes + IQ

Go youth... Crowder can get bought out or come off the bench.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#388 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Saw a disaster lvl rumor rose knox evans for westbrook. I would murder Leon if he did this.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,132

Post#389 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:23 pm

sol537 wrote:Randle + Mitch for Ayton + Crowder

Ayton + Obi + RJ + Grimes + IQ

Go youth... Crowder can get bought out or come off the bench.

Mitch would enjoy Arizona
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#390 » by dukeknicksirish » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Mitch + pick + Burks for Ayton and filler is only thing I’d offer… no way I’m offering Randle for Ayton’s one dimensional self
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#391 » by KnixinSix » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:Saw a disaster lvl rumor rose knox evans for westbrook. I would murder Leon if he did this.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

We never even showed interest in him in the offseason when he was available. .
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#392 » by SuperflyKnick » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:39 pm

dukeknicksirish wrote:Mitch + pick + Burks for Ayton and filler is only thing I’d offer… no way I’m offering Randle for Ayton’s one dimensional self

Better then chokester Randle …. At least we would play team ball… Randle is down right a cancer
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,435

Post#393 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:39 pm

dukeknicksirish wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
TBri1974 wrote:
I would be down with

Murray
RJ
Grant
Randle
Noel

w/Obi, Quick, Rose and Gibson off the bench....

But are Mitch and picks enough to get Grant and Murray? If not, would you give up Obi for Grant and IQ for Murray?

You're going to have to give up a lot more than that.

Id assume for Grant it would be Burks, Obi and a 1st for Grant and Murray would cost IQ , 1st and something else

But why would the Spurs give up on Murray? They have a nice young threesome they're developing there.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#394 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:23 am

I really liked what I saw from Lu Dort in the NCAA tournament before he went undrafted after his final year in college. His game is finally coming together. He's only making $1 million this season. He's averaged over 25 ppg in his last 5 games to go along with his defense. He's the epitome of a 3-ball or layup shooter. Very few midrange shots. We should consider signing him this off season if he hits the market.

Knicks talk at 3:08.

Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#395 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:36 pm

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#396 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:37 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I really liked what I saw from Lu Dort in the NCAA tournament before he went undrafted after his final year in college. His game is finally coming together. He's only making $1 million this season. He's averaged over 25 ppg in his last 5 games to go along with his defense. He's the epitome of a 3-ball or layup shooter. Very few midrange shots. We should consider signing him this off season if he hits the market.

Yes, Knicks should absolutely buy high and sell low with this kid, as opposed to collecting picks and knowing what to actually f*cking do with them like OKC and the Grizz.

Instead, Knicks draft the mediocre and sign the mediocre. yay.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#397 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:47 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I really liked what I saw from Lu Dort in the NCAA tournament before he went undrafted after his final year in college. His game is finally coming together. He's only making $1 million this season. He's averaged over 25 ppg in his last 5 games to go along with his defense. He's the epitome of a 3-ball or layup shooter. Very few midrange shots. We should consider signing him this off season if he hits the market.

Yes, Knicks should absolutely buy high and sell low with this kid, as opposed to collecting picks and knowing what to actually f*cking do with them like OKC and the Grizz.

Okay Mr. Hinkie.

We have to add two-way talent that fits scheme. In case you haven’t noticed, our backcourt defense kinda sucks.

This isn’t a brokerage firm. It’s a basketball team.
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#398 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:56 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Okay Mr. Hinkie.

We have to add two-way talent that fits scheme. In case you haven’t noticed, our backcourt defense kinda sucks.

This isn’t a brokerage firm. It’s a basketball team.

Just play Grimes
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#399 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:24 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264755/76ers-Have-List-Of-30-Players-Theyd-Accept-In-Ben-Simmons-Trade

Bet there isn't a single Knick on the list

Good
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,547

Post#400 » by Meat » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:09 am

Richard4444 wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:If the Knicks were smart Leon would realize he needs to cash on Randle now. Something like

NY- Simmons, Filler
POR- Randle, Kemba, Knox
PHI- CJ, PKS, Filler

Mitch, Noel
Obi, Taj
Simmons, Burks
RJ, Grimes
Quick, Rose

Mitch, Obi and Simmons together would be hell. Zero spacing. I would rather get last year team with Payton in the starting unit.

mitch will undoubtedly get injured anyway

Return to New York Knicks