44%

Total votes: 34

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Re: Next 4 Games will Make or Break the Season 

Post#21 » by Foye » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:31 pm

Note30 wrote:
Foye wrote:The season was lost before the season even started.
Even if the Wolves were to somehow reach the playoffs. They have zero chances to beat any of the top 6 teams in a playoff series.

I agree with part of your sentiment, but making the playoffs would be a huge deal. Because then we have a chance at long term relevance if we improve the team next season. That might lead to a better FA, better team, it's a snowball effect.

How do you want to improve the team for next season?

Assuming Okogie, Knight and Wright are gone and projected 119 mil salary cap...Wolves are only about 12 mil. below the cap. Even Beasley out of prison got more than that. Beverly & Prince are most likely gone. If you want to keep Beverly that probably means no cap space at all. Still think he will sign with a contender, though.
12 mil these days is one average player or two below average players. Especially, given that Wolves are not the prime FA destination.

The only possible scenario of slightly improving the team short term is to trade away its future by dealing away the next few draft picks for Simmons...which has high potential to once again be a terrible deal just like D'Lo for Wiggins+1st.

Clean house. Use KAT + D'Los expiring next year in two seperate deals to acquire more assets (will get bad mid-term contracts as return for D'Lo) to build around Edwards. Get a quality prospect (+picks) in return for KAT and draft wisely.

That's the only scenario under which I can see this franchise building a good enough core around Edwards. Keeping KAT now means he is gone in two years latest and you will be stuck with Edwards and a bunch of scrubs as 8th spot at best again.

It's really not that hard.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#22 » by Krapinsky » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:12 pm

God Squad wrote:

KAT looks like he checkin out already. It's one play, but not a good sign. He's walking back before Edwards even shoots it :lol:.

Yikes, not a good look Kat
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#23 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Interesting that the Wolves both biggest writers Jonny Athletic and Dane both wrote that the wolves are either going to galvanize or collapse.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#24 » by fattymcgee » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:12 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
God Squad wrote:

KAT looks like he checkin out already. It's one play, but not a good sign. He's walking back before Edwards even shoots it :lol:.

Wow, that's terrible!
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,518

Post#25 » by Note30 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Foye wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Foye wrote:The season was lost before the season even started.
Even if the Wolves were to somehow reach the playoffs. They have zero chances to beat any of the top 6 teams in a playoff series.

I agree with part of your sentiment, but making the playoffs would be a huge deal. Because then we have a chance at long term relevance if we improve the team next season. That might lead to a better FA, better team, it's a snowball effect.

How do you want to improve the team for next season?

Assuming Okogie, Knight and Wright are gone and projected 119 mil salary cap...Wolves are only about 12 mil. below the cap. Even Beasley out of prison got more than that. Beverly & Prince are most likely gone. If you want to keep Beverly that probably means no cap space at all. Still think he will sign with a contender, though.
12 mil these days is one average player or two below average players. Especially, given that Wolves are not the prime FA destination.

The only possible scenario of slightly improving the team short term is to trade away its future by dealing away the next few draft picks for Simmons...which has high potential to once again be a terrible deal just like D'Lo for Wiggins+1st.

Clean house. Use KAT + D'Los expiring next year in two seperate deals to acquire more assets (will get bad mid-term contracts as return for D'Lo) to build around Edwards. Get a quality prospect (+picks) in return for KAT and draft wisely.

That's the only scenario under which I can see this franchise building a good enough core around Edwards. Keeping KAT now means he is gone in two years latest and you will be stuck with Edwards and a bunch of scrubs as 8th spot at best again.

It's really not that hard.

Obviously if we make the playoffs our current players would have to be playing much better than they are now, which means their values are all higher in trades.

Playoff team would require significantly better play from all of our players. And of we had significantly better play they would be significantly more valuable.

As is, this team is untenable and there is no point and I would agree with your post.

It's still in our best interest to be a playoff team.

Whether we can be is... highly unlikely.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,880

Post#26 » by Nick K » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:09 am

It's a long season. We can come back. We have looked like world beaters and we've looked horse bleep. The Clips posed a super bad matchup for us. Most other teams won't.

Obviously we need everybody to play well. It's a team game. Beasley, McD, Dlo need to step up. So do others.

i'd rather lose games now then February, March. Go Wolves.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#27 » by Krapinsky » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:20 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Interesting that the Wolves both biggest writers Jonny Athletic and Dane both wrote that the wolves are either going to galvanize or collapse.

Well I think we all know the answer to that one.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#28 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:45 am

I don’t think anybody imagined dlo would shoot this awful every game
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#29 » by Dewey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:38 pm

fattymcgee wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
God Squad wrote:

Wow, that's terrible!

Jokes on Finch/Ant…. 1.) Why that spacing didn’t scream “drive Ant” is beyond me. 2.) no one looked interested in cutting - wtf. Our offense literally did not require one defender to defend
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#30 » by God Squad » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:23 am

Dewey wrote:
fattymcgee wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Wow, that's terrible!

Jokes on Finch/Ant…. 1.) Why that spacing didn’t scream “drive Ant” is beyond me. 2.) no one looked interested in cutting - wtf. Our offense literally did not require one defender to defend

Yeah I don't know what's going on with the offense, but team looks to be checking out mentally.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,051

Post#31 » by shangrila » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:15 am

God Squad wrote:
Dewey wrote:
fattymcgee wrote:
Wow, that's terrible!

Yeah I don't know what's going on with the offense, but team looks to be checking out mentally.

Honestly, they spent too long focusing on the defence and assumed our "vets" could function in a read and react offence.

The offence looked so much better last season when they had a handful of structured plays. But I guess expecting our 6/7 year vets to be able to run an offence without precise, hand held instructions was too much.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#32 » by Foye » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:37 pm

shangrila wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Dewey wrote:Jokes on Finch/Ant…. 1.) Why that spacing didn’t scream “drive Ant” is beyond me. 2.) no one looked interested in cutting - wtf. Our offense literally did not require one defender to defend

Honestly, they spent too long focusing on the defence and assumed our "vets" could function in a read and react offence.

The offence looked so much better last season when they had a handful of structured plays. But I guess expecting our 6/7 year vets to be able to run an offence without precise, hand held instructions was too much.

https://www.startribune.com/anthony-edwards-says-ricky-rubio-is-the-best-leader-hes-ever-been-around/600033353/

There is the difference.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#33 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:04 pm

2-1 so far, so it looks like they survived this stretch and showed some heart.

I said they needed to go at least 2-2 which has been accomplished but 3-1 would even be better.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,940

Post#34 » by wolves_89 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:05 pm

I think salvaging the season is going to come down to Gupta being able to make a trade for a competent big sooner rather than later. It's shocking just how bad this roster is at rebounding and how little size the team actually has. In terms of defensive rebounding % (DRB%), the Wolves are dead last and the gap to the next worst team is massive.

Right now the difference between the 30th team in DRB% (Minnesota) and the 29th team is 4.1%. The difference between the 13th team in DRB% and the 29th team is 4.0%. For a little more context, the Wolves current DRB% is 69.9% while the worst DRB%s in the NBA the last 5 years have been 74.1%, 75.6%, 72.5%, 74.4%, and 74.9%. The Wolves aren't just bad at rebounding, they are bad to a degree that hasn't been seen in long time (if ever). There is just no way a team can rebound the ball that badly and have any chance at being competitive.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,173

Post#35 » by winforlose » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:54 am

Just gonna say it. Close lose against one of the top in the west (one possession and we kept them under 100,) followed by 3 solid wins (ending in sheer domination of a playoff team.) This was a successful homestand :)

Almost forgot, we kept the opponent under 100 in all 4. Can I get a Hell Yeah?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,054

Post#36 » by shrink » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:01 am

The OP was correct, and the answer was “make.” :D
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#37 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 am

shrink wrote:The OP was correct, and the answer was “make.” :D

Yup, the wolves went 3-1 and saved the season
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#38 » by karch34 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:15 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
shrink wrote:The OP was correct, and the answer was “make.” :D

Yup, the wolves went 3-1 and saved the season

I’ll just say there’s hope. We beat teams with less talent which is good. Can’t remember last time we beat Memphis which is great. But not ready to say this is a turning point. Hope it is though
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,140

Post#39 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Foye wrote:
shangrila wrote:
God Squad wrote:Yeah I don't know what's going on with the offense, but team looks to be checking out mentally.

https://www.startribune.com/anthony-edwards-says-ricky-rubio-is-the-best-leader-hes-ever-been-around/600033353/

There is the difference.

Be a Cavs fan already or something. Jeez :crazy:
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#40 » by A1FromDay1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:51 pm

Dewey wrote:
fattymcgee wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Wow, that's terrible!

I think the spacing DID scream ”drive Ant” and that`s why nobody looked interested in cutting. Just that Ant was ”feeling” it and tried the 3
Homo homini lupus est.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves