ImageImageImage

Do you still want/need dragic?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,195

Do you still want/need dragic? 

Post#1 » by canada_dry » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:15 pm

Raptor fan here. I come in peace. I tried scouring through the threads to see if this is being talked about anywhere, as to not make a repetitive topic. Couldn't really find one tho, If it exists then admins kindly delete.

Anyways i just wanted to know from fans...are you guys still interested in dragic? Hes basically out of the rotation now for Toronto (played well last game when actually used). And i know dallas management and fans were interested in dragic in the offseason. 10+ games into the season, are u fans still interested in a guy like that on ur team , having seen tbe mavs play some games, does dragic still fit a need? Or are u guys over the idea?

Something to also consider, since he hardly plays for us, his value is probably lower now than it originally was in the summer. Considerably lower. We'd probably be looking for one of ur bigs in return.

What's the temperature like about dragic?

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Re: Do you still want/need dragic? 

Post#2 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Powell is yours...
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,540

Post#3 » by jpengland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:27 pm

Yes and yes.

If you'd take Dwight Powell and a sweetner, we would be in business.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,195

Post#4 » by canada_dry » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Powell is yours...
Lol thanks for that i guess.

Hows he looked? I know hes struggled playing in the starting 5 alongside porzingis (essentially 2 centers). But hows he looked athletically post Achilles? Do u think he'd be a better fit in a bench role playing without another 5 on the floor?

If hes looking fine athletically, u got a deal imo. That probably wasnt the case before the season started.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,042

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:54 pm

canada_dry wrote:

Hows he looked? I know hes struggled playing in the starting 5 alongside porzingis (essentially 2 centers). But hows he looked athletically post Achilles? Do u think he'd be a better fit in a bench role playing without another 5 on the floor?

If hes looking fine athletically, u got a deal imo. That probably wasnt the case before the season started.

Masai didn't want him, even before signing Birch, and I get why, Powe is a 4 million/yr guy being paid 11, OTOH Mavs couldn't afford to give up assets for Goran.
Fans still want him, because he's Lukas mentor but from basketball POV, he's less critical with Brunson and Ntilikina playing great.
I thinnk Masai will keep him till yhe deadline in case Simmons or KAT become available and if not he'll cut him depending on Raptors record.

Sent from my SM-N986B using RealGM mobile app
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#6 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:37 pm

canada_dry wrote:

He is not that bad, Mavs fan hate him for his contract and because he is the starting center without any reason (Oh yes 3man council :lol: ).
Good rim roller and energy guy with a great work ethic and amazing locker room guy.
Bad defender, bad rebounder (not so bad offensive) and soft...but for 10/15 minutes a game off the bench he could be good.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,434

Post#7 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:25 pm

Dwight Powell + Burke for Dragic work? Maybe Mavs add a SRP.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#8 » by fuller4379 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:06 am

I don't see a need for him. We have two solid guards off the bench in Brunson and Ntilikina. Our need is big, fiscal forwards.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#9 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:36 am

canada_dry wrote:

Powell has his flaws but he does have a role and can have a defined role in any other organization. The problem is when you ask him to go outside that role that’s where he fails. He sets good picks, he can role to the basket and he can catch lobs. He’s really good at that. Just don’t expect him to be a good defender, good rebounder, or to shoot the ball. Other than they he’s great for team chemistry and he’s very active in the community. He also has a very strong work ethic by all accounts.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:39 am

fuller4379 wrote:I don't see a need for him. We have two solid guards off the bench in Brunson and Ntilikina. Our need is big, fiscal forwards.

You can’t trust Ntilikina yet. Plus you can’t go wrong by adding a good veteran PG with a high IQ. Especially when all you’re giving up is something like Powell/Burke. The big they need will be acquired in a bigger trade.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#11 » by ejs78 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 am

Mr B wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:I don't see a need for him. We have two solid guards off the bench in Brunson and Ntilikina. Our need is big, fiscal forwards.

You can’t trust Ntilikina yet. Plus you can’t go wrong by adding a good veteran PG with a high IQ. Especially when all you’re giving up is something like Powell/Burke. The big they need will be acquired in a bigger trade.
Only thing Id like to add is that Dragic could just be bought out. Everything else pretty spot on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#12 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:51 am

Dragic is a half year rental at this point and would only take minutes away from Brunson and Ntilikina. Not much upside.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Post#13 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:11 am

arkuo wrote:Dragic is a half year rental at this point and would only take minutes away from Brunson and Ntilikina. Not much upside.
Cuban has proven he doesn't mind useless rentals. Remember we did trade for JJ Redick last season.

Dragic on the other hand isn't useless, but he also doesn't have much value, and we should only consider him if the price is extremely low.

Knowing Cuban he will give up value without acquiring proper value in return.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,042

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:22 am

Dragic is much better than he's playing in TOR.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,540

Post#15 » by jpengland » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:23 am

I like Frank's attitude but some fans are going away overboard with his ability. He's pretty much right in line statistically with where he has been all of his career and whilst its a small sample size for this season, that consistency across his career shows he's still barely an NBA player. For all of his effort, we aren't any better defensively as a team when he is on the floor and he bombs the offense.

Dragic would be a huge upgrade. Ntilikina is a situational roleplayer.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,929

Post#16 » by Apz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:51 am

Dragic is done. Calling him a huge upgrade is a stretch. If they buy him out or take powell burke i can see it
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,318

Post#17 » by gottamakeit » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:44 pm

jpengland wrote:

I like Frank's attitude but some fans are going away overboard with his ability. He's pretty much right in line statistically with where he has been all of his career and whilst its a small sample size for this season, that consistency across his career shows he's still barely an NBA player. For all of his effort, we aren't any better defensively as a team when he is on the floor and he bombs the offense.

Dragic would be a huge upgrade. Ntilikina is a situational roleplayer.

Ntilikina is playing like a poor man's Caruso(a guy that plays with energy and defensive intensity); Which for our squad, is still provides a tremendous value. No, he doesn't bomb on offense, are we watching the same game?

I would 100% rather have Ntilikina at his current minutes than replacing them with Dragic minutes.

If Toronto buys him out, i think the mavs should pick him up as cheap injury insurance.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Mr B
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Apz wrote:Dragic is done. Calling him a huge upgrade is a stretch. If they buy him out or take powell burke i can see it

Are you basing that on his production this year?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#19 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:11 pm

The thing wih Dragic is he's only a half year rental. He will scoot right back to Miami. Getting him would take minutes away from Brunson. And I want to see what Brunson is capable of with heavy minutes before he gets that large new contract. Do you really want to sign Brunson to $18M per without seeing a full season of heavy minutes with him first? You only get to do that IF he gets the position to himself. Not giving it to old man Dragic. It's too risky IMO.
gottamakeit
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,318

Post#20 » by gottamakeit » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:21 pm

arkuo wrote:The thing wih Dragic is he's only a half year rental. He will scoot right back to Miami. Getting him would take minutes away from Brunson. And I want to see what Brunson is capable of with heavy minutes before he gets that large new contract. Do you really want to sign Brunson to $18M per without seeing a full season of heavy minutes with him first? You only get to do that IF he gets the position to himself. Not giving it to old man Dragic. It's too risky IMO.

Agreed on all point. Mavs got to think long-term with this. We're not contending this year.
I'd only take Dragic as injury insurance at this point. If he wants to play more meaningful minutes, then Dragic should go play for a contender (assuming he's bought out).
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it

Return to Dallas Mavericks