Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Re: Predict Lakers Line Up 

Post#121 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 pm

stan francisco wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:The plan has always been to have Westbrook, THT, LeBron, Davis with a shooter at SG. I think Westbrook and THT together (plus Melo/Ariza) is what enables Davis to be a C. Without them I think Davis plays the PF role.

People hating on Russ but the fact that he is such a good rebounder as a PG will enable Davis to be the C for many more minutes, which makes the Lakers better.

I think Westbrook just needs time to grow chemistry for his reads on where the guys are going to be on the court.

Fair points. I agree, as far as offense goes.

I’ve just never seen Westbrook play solid positional defense. Ever.

I think he will be in a learning process with him on defense but his defensive rebounding help for Davis is important.

Do you notice something unique about this lineup?

PG: Westbrook | Rondo
SG: Monk | Nunn
SF: THT |
PF: LeBron | Melo
C : Davis

8-man rotation and every one of these guys are isolation offense players. I think that's unprecedented in the NBA, I can't recall a team ever being able to play a playoff game where every player can score/playmake off their own steam. You might be able to add Reaves and Bradley to this group.

Then you have Bazemore, Ariza, Howard, Jordan, Ellington as role players.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#122 » by stan francisco » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:44 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:The plan has always been to have Westbrook, THT, LeBron, Davis with a shooter at SG. I think Westbrook and THT together (plus Melo/Ariza) is what enables Davis to be a C. Without them I think Davis plays the PF role.

People hating on Russ but the fact that he is such a good rebounder as a PG will enable Davis to be the C for many more minutes, which makes the Lakers better.

I think Westbrook just needs time to grow chemistry for his reads on where the guys are going to be on the court.

Fair points. I agree, as far as offense goes.

I’ve just never seen Westbrook play solid positional defense. Ever.

I think he will be in a learning process with him on defense but his defensive rebounding help for Davis is important.

Do you notice something unique about this lineup?

PG: Westbrook | Rondo
SG: Monk | Nunn
SF: THT |
PF: LeBron | Melo
C : Davis

8-man rotation and every one of these guys are isolation offense players. I think that's unprecedented in the NBA, I can't recall a team ever being able to play a playoff game where every player can score/playmake off their own steam. You might be able to add Reaves and Bradley to this group.

Then you have Bazemore, Ariza, Howard, Jordan, Ellington as role players.

Yeah, I dig the concept of position less ball. We tried the concept of multiple ball handlers with Lance a few years back, though.

I say let defense dictate what we do.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#123 » by Pythagoras » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 pm

After seeing how big of a boost THT provided, I can’t wait to see what Nunn adds when he comes back (when the hell is he coming back anyway?). Bazemore being as bad as he’s been really hurts. He was supposed to be able to give this team a 24ish minutes a night of solid wing play.
Numbers rule the universe.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#124 » by Eric Bieniemy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:17 am

Nunn is better than Monk. They are equal shooters (with a slight edge to Nunn), but Nunn is better as a penetrator, defender, and passer.

He would start over Monk.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#125 » by zimpy27 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:18 pm

Eric Bieniemy wrote:Nunn is better than Monk. They are equal shooters (with a slight edge to Nunn), but Nunn is better as a penetrator, defender, and passer.

Yeah probably, just haven't seen him out there yet but he was a starter for Miami
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:10 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Eric Bieniemy wrote:Nunn is better than Monk. They are equal shooters (with a slight edge to Nunn), but Nunn is better as a penetrator, defender, and passer.

Yeah probably, just haven't seen him out there yet but he was a starter for Miami

Yeah, I’ve been hoping for his impact on the defensive end, too.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#127 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:27 am

I agree with the many people here who say that the Lakers would be better with Westbrook as a 6th man, but, I'm sorry, as much as I agree with the sentiment, I just can't imagine a world where Westbrook agrees to come off the bench.

I think he'll be way more amenable to shooting less and playing better defense.

Maybe they could challenge him to be the first 13-13-13 guy, where he focuses strictly on ball protection, distribution, rebounding, defense, and becoming an emotional leader ....

Never mind. Russ ain't changing for anyone. Carry on.

Horrible trade.

The Lakers are stuck with:

PG - WESTBROOK - RONDO
SG - NUNN - MONK
C - DAVIS - HOWARD
PF - JAMES - ANTHONY
SF - TUCKER - REAVES

For better or for ... You know the rest.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:19 am

Westbrook needs a clearly defined role on offense: probe hard and attack the rim in transition or from the weak side in the half court set. Nothing else, please. On defense, he needs to spend endless hours in the film room with Frank and Rondo!

DeAndre Jordan suddenly can’t even box out Middleton? His head isn’t in the game. He’s done.

Bazemore needs to spend weeks in the film room, and I’ll still doubt if he’s a baller.

Monk is a baller, needs to be more aggressive on defense.

Can’t wait to see if Nunn will bring some to this defense.

Good to see THT playing so well on offense. Expected, yes, but still. He could also use a defensive film room session or two with Frank and Rondo. He gets caught being switched way too easily.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#129 » by Pythagoras » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 pm

I know it’s still really early, but THT has massively emerged offensively. Even with a drop off to where he’s “only” a 34-35% 3 point shooter, he’d be a fantastic 3rd or 4th option offensive player.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#130 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm

Pythagoras wrote:I know it’s still really early, but THT has massively emerged offensively. Even with a drop off to where he’s “only” a 34-35% 3 point shooter, he’d be a fantastic 3rd or 4th option offensive player.

Well now. Hes younger. 20somethin. Hes growing. His game is improving. Fearless on the attack. Seems like Pelinka or Lebron, or whoever you want to credit....deserves some credit for making a move for this guy, over Caruso.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#131 » by Pythagoras » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:34 am

LAKESHOW wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:I know it’s still really early, but THT has massively emerged offensively. Even with a drop off to where he’s “only” a 34-35% 3 point shooter, he’d be a fantastic 3rd or 4th option offensive player.

Well now. Hes younger. 20somethin. Hes growing. His game is improving. Fearless on the attack. Seems like Pelinka or Lebron, or whoever you want to credit....deserves some credit for making a move for this guy, over Caruso.

Well, the thing that hurts is that we could have had both Caruso AND THT. Picking one over the other was ownership cheaping out.

The Lakers have built a really strange roster. Their six best players: Lebron, Melo, AD, Westbrook, THT, and Nunn, are probably collectively better than the six best players on any other team this year… The problem is the back half of the roster is amongst the worst in the league, and injuries are massively exposing those guys. Hopefully a couple of gems will shake loose in the buyout market this year so we can cut some of the trash from the back end of this roster.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by stan francisco » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:30 am

Before LBJ returns tonight, this is what I think our basic rotations will be, after finally having watched a few more games lately of this odd bunch.

PG: RW | Bradley | Rondo
SG: Nunn | Monk | Ellington
SF: THT | Reaves | Bazemore
PF: LBJ | Melo | Ariza
C: AD | DH | Huff | DAJ

This is what I think it should be:

PG: LBJ | Bradley | Rondo
SG: RW | Nunn | Monk
SF: THT | Reaves | Ellington/Baze
PF: AD | Melo | Ariza
C: DH | AD | Huff | DAJ
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#133 » by Eric Bieniemy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Your "should be" starting lineup lacks shooting.

Why not replace Tucker with Nunn or Bradley or Ellington?

I think Nunn works really well as the fourth option there:

PG - JAMES - REAVES
SG - NUNN - BRADLEY
C - HOWARD - (DAVIS)
PF - DAVIS - ANTHONY
SF - WESTBROOK - TUCKER
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#134 » by Eric Bieniemy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:53 pm

James got a ton of minutes last night in Indianapolis at (defensive) center with one of Anthony, Tucker, or Westbrook at PF.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#135 » by Braggins » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 pm

I think this might be the lineup I'd go with when the team is healthy if Ariza can still play.

Russ/Nunn/Rondo
Reaves/Monk/Bradley
THT/Ellington/Baze
Lebron/Ariza/Melo
AD/Dwight/DAJ

Just for fun. Imagine an alternate universe where they don't do the Westbrook trade.

Lebron/Caruso/Rondo
Ellington/Monk/Reaves
KCP/THT
Kuzma/Ariza/Melo
AD/Trez/DH
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#136 » by euphorbus » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:49 pm

After 21 games, a quarter of the season, the best three-man lineups for the Lakers (minimum of four games) are:

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/traditional/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747&sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=1&GroupQuantity=3&CF=GP*GE*4

Top group is Westbrook, Ellington, and Horton-Tucker. Westbrook appears in the top two. Reaves appears five of the top ten, Westbrook and Ellington in four. All of the top ten lineups are at least +3.0 thus far.

And the Big Three? They are -2.4 on the season.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#137 » by Pythagoras » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:24 pm

euphorbus wrote:After 21 games, a quarter of the season, the best three-man lineups for the Lakers (minimum of four games) are:

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/traditional/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747&sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=1&GroupQuantity=3&CF=GP*GE*4

Top group is Westbrook, Ellington, and Horton-Tucker. Westbrook appears in the top two. Reaves appears five of the top ten, Westbrook and Ellington in four. All of the top ten lineups are at least +3.0 thus far.

And the Big Three? They are -2.4 on the season.

A major part of what’s hurting the Big 3 is having to share the floor with DJ and Bradley:

Read on Twitter

The theory behind leaving those two in the starting lineup is trading defense for offense, but both players are so mediocre defensively that it’s not worth the carnage they’re causing to the offense. I mostly like Vogel as a coach, but his lineup decisions leave a lot to be desired.
Pythagoras
Analyst

Post#138 » by Pythagoras » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 am

For anyone who doubts that adding a stretch 5 would have a hugely positive impact on the offense:

Read on Twitter
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#139 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Lineups that seem to work:
Westbrook, Bradley, THT, LeBron, Davis
Westbrook, Reaves, LeBron, Melo, Davis
Westbrook, Ellington/Bradley, THT, Melo, Davis
Westbrook, Ellington, Monk, LeBron, Melo

I think Nunn returning is going to bring clarity to the other lineups but if we just consider Westboork plays every minute then the rotation of this appears appropriate:

1st 6 min of Q1 and Q3: Westbrook, Bradley, THT, LeBron, Davis
2nd 6 min of Q1 and Q3: Westbrook, Bradley, THT, Melo, Davis
1st 6 min of Q2 and Q4: Westbrook, Ellington, Monk, LeBron, Melo
2nd 6 min of Q2: Westbrook, Reaves, LeBron, Melo, Davis
2nd 6 min of Q4: Westbrook, THT, LeBron, Melo, Davis
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,155

Post#140 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:42 am

Is Nunn better then Monk and you think he'll replace Monk?

I can see Ariza and Nunn starting when returning - Ariza for sure, but Nunn may have to work his way into it?
Bring back Defense

Return to Los Angeles Lakers