Aldridge
No votes

Total votes: 11

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Next Man Up: Who's the 5th Starter? 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:47 pm

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/11/14/22782328/joe-harris-injury-update-tracker-nets-fantasy-basketball-nba-injury-report

Welp, our burly everyman Joe Harris has been ruled out of Tuesday's game against Golden State, more than 24 hours early. Though the Nets have not listed an official injury, the fact that he is scratched this early suggests that it is serious. Nash mentioned in his Sunday post game press that it was a low ankle sprain, I'm guessing grade 2 by the fall. We may well be without our primary sniper for more than 4 weeks. :sigh:

As has become our custom this star-crossed season, it's time for Next Man Up. Replacing an integral starter is never easy, especially since our 2nd unit is starting to gel. The show must go on, so let's roll through some of the possibilities:

I'm loathe to move either of Patty or LaMarcus into the 5, even though they both deserve it. For one, I don't want to separate them, because they have such great chemistry. Two, they are the offensive firepower off the bench that we need.

DeAndre has been on fire lately, but again, staggering him and Bruce helps to keep our defense elite for all 48 minutes.

Paul and even James deserve fill-in opportunities based on their previous resumé, but neither have shot well or looked spry so far. I'm not sure combining either with Blake for extended minutes will yield positive results.

My gut tells me that Steve will pick Jevon. He's a luxury 3rd-string PG, but the increased role of just being a 9th man has already spotlighted his limitations. Being a starter would only worsen that over-exposure. Plus, I feel like he goes mercenary on offense sometimes, knowing that this could be his big break.

Cam is not ready, y'all, he has a ton to learn about the league. It's a ridiculously small sample size, I know, but his on-off splits are atrocious. Still, it might be a sign that it's time to throw the rookie into the deep end and let him swim. Maybe it pays dividends down the line.

I think that's enough. Who do you think will be our provisional starter, and why?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Re: Next Man Up: Who's the 5th Starter? 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Trigger warning: if you want to see the fall, here it is:

-- Steve Martin
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#3 » by LOUiS-D » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:28 am

Putting Patty in the Harris role gives the most seamless transition. No one else can hit at Joe's clip. Give some of Patty's old role to Carter and try mixing some real minutes in for Cam. Then you've got Bembry who you could comfortably give another 10 minutes to.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#4 » by Stone » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 am

I voted for Patty and I would not be surprised if Patty keeps the starting role and Joe joined the second unit.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#5 » by HardenGoat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:47 am

Patty is an excellent 3 point shooter with the gravity of Durant out there and Harden to find him. Cam should get some minutes in the second unit unless Carter can show more efficiency on offense.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#6 » by GTR11 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:58 am

Patty with starters :lol:

Pass that joint Y'all be smoking. Unbelievable :banghead:
GTR11
RealGM

Post#7 » by GTR11 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 am

Stone wrote:I voted for Patty and I would not be surprised if Patty keeps the starting role and Joe joined the second unit.

Now tell us how you going to manage minutes and rotations :lol:
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#8 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 am

GTR11 wrote:
Stone wrote:I voted for Patty and I would not be surprised if Patty keeps the starting role and Joe joined the second unit.

Wait a minute, I'm the only poster who hasn't voted for Mills so far. I might agree with your doubt in moving Mills to the starting lineup, but who is your choice, and why? Put your vote in the poll!
-- Steve Martin
GTR11
RealGM

Post#9 » by GTR11 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:25 am

:-?
ecuhus1981 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

Wait a minute, I'm the only poster who hasn't voted for Mills so far. I might agree with your doubt in moving Mills to the starting lineup, but who is your choice, and why? Put your vote in the poll!

For this particular one, I'd go with Bambry. Brown on Curry and Bambry on Pool. GSW has same issue as we do, lack of playmakers. You put solid D on them two, they in trouble. Hornets gave recipe to entire league last game.

Harden controlling pace would be key to this game. LaMelo executed pace of the game to perfection vs GSW.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am

GTR11 wrote::-?
ecuhus1981 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

For this particular one, I'd go with Bambry. Brown on Curry and Bambry on Pool. GSW has same issue as we do, lack of playmakers. You put solid D on them two, they in trouble. Hornets gave recipe to entire league last game.

Harden controlling pace would be key to this game. LaMelo executed pace of the game to perfection vs GSW.

I can respect that, I wouldn't mind that. For the season, staggering DeAndre and Bruce is key IMO. We always need one on the floor to lead the defense. For this particular game, I wouldn't mind both getting 38 minutes, and then resting Wednesday. To your point, keeping both Steph and mini-Steph blanketed and face-guarded is crucial.

So, Durant on Wiggins, Harden on Green, Griffin on Looney? Or would you cross match?
-- Steve Martin
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#11 » by Papi_swav » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:48 am

I voted for Carter. I want full court defense on Curry from the start of the game. Brown can defend Poole and Harden defend Wiggins. Patty would be great with the starters but I don't want to mess with the bench chemistry right now. Patty/LMA and gang has been playing solid as a bench unit. Wouldn't be mad if either or gets the start.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#12 » by HardenGoat » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:16 pm

GTR11 wrote::-?
ecuhus1981 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

That's a good take. Bembry is our best defensive player right now for sure. This game should be all about defense especially Curry.
Fallout_3
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#13 » by Fallout_3 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:38 pm

Carter. The second unit won't miss him much and can stay more or less the same and at least he can shoot (or he should).
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#14 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:06 pm

I voted Carter. He is the only 3 & D small we have on the bench. if his shot isnt falling, all it takes is one whistle and you can bring in Mills. I dont see a need to start Mills. let harden/KD get us cooking early. bring patty with that bench punch. Carters shot will eventually fall, if it doesnt just go energy with bembry or even just go big with Milsap at the 4 to space.

Harden | Carter | KD | Brown | Blake

or

Harden | Brown | KD | Milsap | Blake

Return to Brooklyn Nets