ImageImageImage

Luka Doncic off to an underwhelming start to the season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Re: Luka Doncic off to an underwhelming start to the season 

Post#21 » by leolozon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 pm

BmanInBigD wrote:I was looking on basketball-reference and noticed something that may or may not have something to do with his poor start. He is trending down each season in his % attempts from 0-10 feet, which is obviously his best % shooting range. His % for attempts for 10-23 feet are increasing, where his shooting % has hovered around 44%. I wanted to look that up because it seemed like he used to get close to the basket at will for easy shots, but now it seems like he would rather settle for a longer shot or pass than get to the rim as much. He's pretty much unstoppable when he's going to the rim for easy shots or passes to open shooters.

"He would rather"... you mean he can't get passed anyone anymore because he's too heavy?

In his 2nd season, he was at 69% inside 5 feet and it was about a 34% of his shots.
In his 3rd season, he was at 58% inside 5 feet and it was about 28% of his shots.
In his 4th season, he's at 75% inside 5 feet, but it's 15% of shots. Meanwhile his shots between 5-14 feet have gone way up.

It seems obvious, that he can't go around defenders as easily and make a layup, which he did a lot in his 2nd season. So instead, he stops and spins for a shot or he does a fadeaway, both less efficient shots.

Where is this guy? He looks 35 now. I know Lebron is your idol, but no need to age so fast.

guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#22 » by guille_4 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:24 am

Revisiting his on-off, he's standing at a shockingly bad -29.5 per 100 possessions after 11 games and 378 minutes. That's by far the lowest in the team, second lowest is Dwight Powell at -16.2 and third lowest DFS at -15.3. On the other hand, Jalen Brunson is leading with +25.2 followed by Josh Green and Marjanovic with very few minutes played and Frank.

The sample ain't that small any longer...What are your thoughts? Why do you think he's struggling this much?
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,767

Post#23 » by Archx » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:34 am

guille_4 wrote:Revisiting his on-off, he's standing at a shockingly bad -29.5 per 100 possessions after 11 games and 378 minutes. That's by far the lowest in the team, second lowest is Dwight Powell at -16.2 and third lowest DFS at -15.3. On the other hand, Jalen Brunson is leading with +25.2 followed by Josh Green and Marjanovic with very few minutes played and Frank.

The sample ain't that small any longer...What are your thoughts? Why do you think he's struggling this much?

Lack of aggressiveness, absolutely no confidence in finishing around the rim, way too much overpassing and obviously he looks two steps slower, no real bounce in his legs.

In my opinion, i feel like people got into his head with all that crap about "pass more and too high usg%". There is not a single game where Mavs reddit doesn't get pissed off when he passes out of a clear layup. And even worse, when he does take them, lots of them are misses.
I don't know how they'll handle him from here on, maybe he does need a Jokic diet or maybe Kidd just needs to sit down with him and tell him to go back to his old (playoff) self. Sometimes it's that easy.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,037

Post#24 » by Mavrelous » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:17 pm

leolozon wrote:
BmanInBigD wrote:I was looking on basketball-reference and noticed something that may or may not have something to do with his poor start. He is trending down each season in his % attempts from 0-10 feet, which is obviously his best % shooting range. His % for attempts for 10-23 feet are increasing, where his shooting % has hovered around 44%. I wanted to look that up because it seemed like he used to get close to the basket at will for easy shots, but now it seems like he would rather settle for a longer shot or pass than get to the rim as much. He's pretty much unstoppable when he's going to the rim for easy shots or passes to open shooters.

"He would rather"... you mean he can't get passed anyone anymore because he's too heavy?

In his 2nd season, he was at 69% inside 5 feet and it was about a 34% of his shots.
In his 3rd season, he was at 58% inside 5 feet and it was about 28% of his shots.
In his 4th season, he's at 75% inside 5 feet, but it's 15% of shots. Meanwhile his shots between 5-14 feet have gone way up.

It seems obvious, that he can't go around defenders as easily and make a layup, which he did a lot in his 2nd season. So instead, he stops and spins for a shot or he does a fadeaway, both less efficient shots.

Where is this guy? He looks 35 now. I know Lebron is your idol, but no need to age so fast.

He wasn't as explosive since his year #2, but he still was legit dribble penetration and post up scorer, this is Luka magic, not 3 pt stepbacks.
1st and foremost this team needs to get back to its original identity.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,928

Post#25 » by Apz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 am

Its obvious. Remember philly game last year? Luka cant finish around the rim if he one defender on him and a big center in the paint. Problem is when u play powell and kp often tried to get into post up position, there will be big guys a lot closer and in the paint. Thats why he get to turn around and do these fadeaways a lot more since its just too crowded.

Its a tactical/personel issue. Can swear that if we tonight starts a 5 out it would flow. Think instructions is an issue too, kidd said before that he wanted more 2s and postups, so they kinda forces it and its not working
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#26 » by CobraCommander » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:23 pm

guille_4 wrote:Revisiting his on-off, he's standing at a shockingly bad -29.5 per 100 possessions after 11 games and 378 minutes. That's by far the lowest in the team, second lowest is Dwight Powell at -16.2 and third lowest DFS at -15.3. On the other hand, Jalen Brunson is leading with +25.2 followed by Josh Green and Marjanovic with very few minutes played and Frank.

Jason Kidd and the rule changes. Luka too good for this to continue. I would say by mid year he is in the mvp conversation.

I never normally give Luka a pass because of his age, but this is the one time when I think it’s warranted. Luka has regressed to the mean of being a good NBA player, once he figures out these factors I suspect he will get back to threatening to be an mvp.

This week is going to be telling. If the mavs win but Luka doesn’t play at an mvp level...does it matter?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,928

Post#27 » by Apz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:21 am

blah blaj blsh blah...

Dig up other players stats. Pretty sure everyone is down in there with the new refereeing. The adaptation is the closer midrange shots, the fadeaways and such. Ofc the % will be lower then on layups
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#28 » by LAL1947 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:04 am

Luka needs to lose weight... at least 20 pounds. That's the biggest factor IMO.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#29 » by fuller4379 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:09 am

Apz wrote:blah blaj blsh blah...

Dig up other players stats. Pretty sure everyone is down in there with the new refereeing. The adaptation is the closer midrange shots, the fadeaways and such. Ofc the % will be lower then on layups

Agreed. Players can now actually defend the three without cheap fouls being called on the defense. The new rules would make KP more valuable if he can stay on the court. At 7'3' he can shoot over defenders behind the three.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#30 » by LAL1947 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:22 pm

I think someone needs to show Luka this old interview of Charles Barkley's, where Barkley explains how he was 290lbs and not getting minutes. He asked Moses Malone for help, and Malone told him he was fat and lazy... then told him to drop 10lbs. When he got to 280lbs, Malone told him to drop 10lbs more... and so on and so forth until Barkley reaches 240lbs. Barkley realizes he doen't feel good at 240lbs, so he goes back up to 250lbs, where he felt light on his feet without feeling weak... and stayed there. It's just common sense, but maybe Luka needs to see that interview so he can do something similar himself to figure out his best playing weight.

Personally, I think Luka needs to drop 20-25lbs from how much he currently weighs.

Watch from 3:40 in this video.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,037

Post#31 » by Mavrelous » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:26 pm

Yeah, with the toll he's putting on his body he needs to slim down 20 lbs.
I hope the ankle sprain isn't serious.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#32 » by arkuo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Luka also smokes hookah when he parties. Not sure if that affects anything about his game or his body. Guessing it's bad for the lungs?

Return to Dallas Mavericks