Paolo Banchero

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Re: Paolo Banchero 

Post#121 » by Gibson22 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:40 am

Obviously he's showing himself to be a beast with his size and skills but lets focus on the red flags from these 3 games.
1/7 from 3.
3.3 TOV, most of them because he can't dribble very well because he is stiff.
only 1 block (sign of not good enough rim protection, which is important if he can't guard wings), and 1 assist (which is strange because he was touted as a good passer)
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#122 » by akhan786 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:24 pm

I’m starting to become a believer in his touch around the basket and midrange. I was worried the jumpers we saw vs Kentucky were flukey.

RJ Barrett for example has always had ugly touch. RJ needs to will his shots in unless he gets streaky hot. Banchero looks much more effortless. If he extends that touch to 3-point after a few years in the league, good luck guarding him.

Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#123 » by Bruin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:08 pm

The comp I see is Michael Beasley
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,616

Post#124 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm

lebron3-14-3 wrote:Obviously he's showing himself to be a beast with his size and skills but lets focus on the red flags from these 3 games.
1/7 from 3.
3.3 TOV, most of them because he can't dribble very well because he is stiff.
only 1 block (sign of not good enough rim protection, which is important if he can't guard wings), and 1 assist (which is strange because he was touted as a good passer)

I agree with some things and don’t think others are a big deal.

Things I agree with:
I agree he has shown zero room protection ability. You’d think against tiny teams like Army and whoever they played yesterday (forgot the name of the school) he could’ve gotten more just from size alone. He even played the 5 for a few minutes yesterday. I would’ve liked to see some weak side rim protection.

His handle hasn’t been good. This is usually something I’m cautious about (bigs handle in high school translating) but I admit I bought in. So far his handle doesn’t look like much of a threat against even college opposition.

Things I don’t think are a big deal:
3pt makes so far. When thinking about his NBA potential from 3, his production from 3 right now isn’t a big deal. The main question are, does he have good form? Is he a good FT shooter (tends to be a good indication of shooting touch)? Is he a solid mid range shooter? So far he checks off All those boxes. So he may not be a deadly 3pt shooter the second he steps foot in the NBA, but he shows plenty of promise he will have that shot.

Assist numbers. They aren’t playing Paolo in the dunker position like they did with JJ last year, but it’s not like he’s the primary ball handler either. Also just off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 really good passes from yesterday’s game to wide open shooters and they just missed. He’s been making good reads and passes so far, even if the asssist numbers aren’t high
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,616

Post#125 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:32 pm

PrinceAli wrote:The comp I see is Michael Beasley

Not nearly the same kind of athlete as Beasley. While also being a much smarter player and has a much better head on his shoulders.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#126 » by Bruin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:The comp I see is Michael Beasley

Not nearly the same kind of athlete as Beasley. While also being a much smarter player and has a much better head on his shoulders.

Not counting the mental aspect since Beasley was a handful with that

But aside from that, I like the comp
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#127 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Gonna need the full story. But DAMMIT MAN.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#128 » by DirtyDez » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Dude is on the team because his grandpa is the coach and he’s driving the potential #1 pick around drunk? If there was ever a time to disown your grandson…
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#129 » by TraBuch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:25 pm

I’m wondering if this is a case of Paolo getting a ride from Savarino not realizing Savarino was over the limit.

Also, kick Savarino off the team. He was the COVID spreader that ended Duke’s season last year, now he’s getting Paolo in trouble.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#130 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:37 pm

What is aiding and abetting a DWI? weird charge
clyde21
RealGM

Post#131 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:40 pm

DirtyDez wrote:Dude is on the team because his grandpa is the coach and he’s driving the potential #1 pick around drunk? If there was ever a time to disown your grandson…

most likely both were drunk, sounds like Paolo told or made Savarino drive because he's a top 3 pick?

why does this happen still happen in the age of uber
clyde21
RealGM

Post#132 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:41 pm

TraBuch wrote:I’m wondering if this is a case of Paolo getting a ride from Savarino not realizing Savarino was over the limit.

Also, kick Savarino off the team. He was the COVID spreader that ended Duke’s season last year, now he’s getting Paolo in trouble.

Paolo would not be getting aiding and abetting if he has no clue Sav was drunk
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#133 » by TraBuch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:Dude is on the team because his grandpa is the coach and he’s driving the potential #1 pick around drunk? If there was ever a time to disown your grandson…

most likely both were drunk, sounds like Paolo told or made Savarino drive because he's a top 3 pick?

He didn’t get cited for underage drinking.

Aiding and abetting DWI is letting someone drive drunk and being in the car.
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#134 » by TraBuch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TraBuch wrote:I’m wondering if this is a case of Paolo getting a ride from Savarino not realizing Savarino was over the limit.

Paolo would not be getting aiding and abetting if he has no clue Sav was drunk

He could’ve known he was drinking and not known how much he drank.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#135 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:46 pm

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Thats even worse if he was fully functional and let Sav drive

if he wasn't drinking why didn't he drive instead?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,489

Post#136 » by azcatz11 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:47 pm

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Never knew that was a charge
clyde21
RealGM

Post#137 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:51 pm

honestly only thing that makes sense was that they were both drunk and Sav took one for the team because Paolo is an NBA prospect
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#138 » by TraBuch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:honestly only thing that makes sense was that they were both drunk and Sav took one for the team because Paolo is an NBA prospect

So they were both drunk but the cop only arrested one of them and let the other underage one go on his way while drunk?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#139 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:03 pm

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:honestly only thing that makes sense was that they were both drunk and Sav took one for the team because Paolo is an NBA prospect

So they were both drunk but the cop only arrested one of them and let the other underage one go on his way while drunk?

Not crazy. I convinced a cop to let my buddy off on underaged drinking since he had a baseball scholarship. He still gave me one.
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#140 » by TraBuch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:05 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
TraBuch wrote:

Not crazy. I convinced a cop to let my buddy off on underaged drinking since he had a baseball scholarship. He still gave me one.

But he still charged him with another crime, so it’s not like he was letting him off. You telling me he reached into his lawbook and pulled out a ticket for a crime I’ve never seen ticketed but he’s not gonna get him on underage drinking?

Return to NBA Draft